Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Since I used to live in Scotland I can safely say they are the stingest people I've ever met. there are so many stingy things I saw them do I wouldnt know where to begin.

Ah go on, try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

When I lived with my ex (white South African) she brought over her sister to live. First thing she did when she arrived was skip her round. O.k that's o.k probably isn't aware of the culture. After 3 days she decided to work out a budget for food. £20 a week each for food between the 3 of us. Worked grand as I'm loose with money and there was always food there. Then she allocated £2 for biscuits..that's grand I only nibble an odd biscuit from time to time.After about half a year she decided to give up biscuits so she wanted her weekly bill to become £19.30 something.After conceding to her you could see her eyes drool when we were chomping a chocolate biscuit. The fighting that went on in that house between my ex and her sister was hilarious. Ordering a take-away was a nightmare if we didn't have the correct change, she would abstain from giving a tip. She used to walk 1 and a half hours to work in the middle of winter to save £1.60.It was her manner more than anything with money which would sicken you. Also embarrased the ****e out of me loads of times.Suffice to say she went back home to south africa like a millionaire. Never left the house at night. While here she only paid her rent, share of bills and that's it the odd take-away and so on. You couldn't tap a ciggie for a doobie off her if you were stuck as she only had 15 left until her next packet etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Degag wrote: »
    To be honest, i wouldn't spend alot of money on presents for my nephews. If they aren't broken within an hour they'll almost certainly be forgotten about. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on a holiday too than some snotty nosed kid who wont appeciate it.

He problaby appreciated it the first five or six times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 youtwat

. You couldn't tap a ciggie for a doobie off her if you were stuck as she only had 15 left until her next packet etc...

:D LMAO

jimoc wrote: »
    I'm so stingy I read this in work so I wouldn't use up my own electricity and internet connection.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

A particular shopkeeper who will change a 100 euro note for a cent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

A particular shopkeeper who will change a 100 euro note for a cent!

LOL Wut??

After reading through a lot of these posts...there hilarious..it brought up a memory of when i was about 9, My father worked in a bakery and every morning they'd throw out the bread that the wrappings were ripped etc in to a skip. While sitting in the car for ages this woman pulls up in a brand new mercedes opens up her boot opens up the skip and takes the bread out of the skip. When my father arrived back (after about 2 hours) I told him he laughed and said it was such n such..turns out your one was the owner of a particular shop by Barry's cross :) and has been doing it since the poor of Limerick stopped doing it in the 70's.True as I'm sitting here.

Another one was while delivering £9949:50's worth of furniture to a massive mansion out by Killaloe, we had to collect the money (cash on delivery) from the owner. We unpacked the furniture assembled everything took about an hour and a half in the house for her (we dont have to) she never asked us if we'd want a glass of water and the sweat poring off us. Anyway when it came to the bill she had £9950 we started to walk away and she got angry and asks for her change. We hadnt anything that small on us, so we were sent to the shop about 5 miles away to bring her back her 50 pence. You could have delivered a locker to a house in any working class neighbourhood in Limerick and you were gauranteed a tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

In my local petrol station, if I am getting 20 euro of petrol and put in an extra cent to leave 20.01, the owner will still give 29.99 change out of 50 euro.
    I once put in 19.99 into the tank and gave him 20 which he put in the till and was giving me no change until I asked him for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

ocokev wrote: »
    In my local petrol station, if I am getting 20 euro of petrol and put in an extra cent to leave 20.01, the owner will still give 29.99 change out of 50 euro.
    I once put in 19.99 into the tank and gave him 20 which he put in the till and was giving me no change until I asked him for it.

Which of these events happened first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

When I lived with my ex (white South African) she brought over her sister to live. First thing she did when she arrived was skip her round. O.k that's o.k probably isn't aware of the culture. After 3 days she decided to work out a budget for food. £20 a week each for food between the 3 of us. Worked grand as I'm loose with money and there was always food there. Then she allocated £2 for biscuits..that's grand I only nibble an odd biscuit from time to time.After about half a year she decided to give up biscuits so she wanted her weekly bill to become £19.30 something.After conceding to her you could see her eyes drool when we were chomping a chocolate biscuit. The fighting that went on in that house between my ex and her sister was hilarious. Ordering a take-away was a nightmare if we didn't have the correct change, she would abstain from giving a tip. She used to walk 1 and a half hours to work in the middle of winter to save £1.60.It was her manner more than anything with money which would sicken you. Also embarrased the ****e out of me loads of times.Suffice to say she went back home to south africa like a millionaire. Never left the house at night. While here she only paid her rent, share of bills and that's it the odd take-away and so on. You couldn't tap a ciggie for a doobie off her if you were stuck as she only had 15 left until her next packet etc...

I knew a south african exactly like that !

there out there alright!!!!

another one..Ive been reading these posts for 2 hours now there class....A friend of mine years ago went in and bought a bag o chips when he came out he opened the bag and started spitting in to the bag we all look at him shocked and he says they'd no vinegar..Stingy guy knew we'd ask him to share a few chips being 13/14 or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Rothmans wrote: »
    I know a fella who peels stamps off letters and re-uses them if they don't have the An Post stamped thingy indicating that they have been used. Lord, the effort some people put into being stingy

I do that!
    If the stamp is not marked, tear off the envelope around it, put it in a glass of lukewarm water and later peel it off the paper and leave to dry.
    It's a habit I picked up when stamp-collecting as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

ocokev wrote: »

Hahahaha. I once went two cent over when putting petrol in my car, went in to pay, said "Twenty euro petrol", handed over the money. The guy behind the counter says, "And two cent?". I actually couldn't believe it! I always get really nervous when I'm putting petrol in my car now. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Saft Hans

Went out one night with a few friends about a year ago. A lad we knew was tagging along with us (even though none of us even invited him out :rolleyes:) Anyway, he came over to the house first and drank and ate as much as he could while he was there. Then we all got a taxi into town, when we get in he declares he has no money with him! So we have to pay for his taxi!:mad:

Heading to the niteclub where he asks people on the way in if anyone will pay for his entry!! Cheeky fooker actually asked the birthday girl to pay for him!

Eventually someone pays for him :rolleyes: and then once again we have to pay for his taxi home!

Avoided him from then on and hardly ever see him now!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

That was a expensive piece of chese for Macers.

Appropriate name. Are you too stingey to use extra e's and k's where you don't have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Novella wrote: »
    Hahahaha. I once went two cent over when putting petrol in my car, went in to pay, said "Twenty euro petrol", handed over the money. The guy behind the counter says, "And two cent?". I actually couldn't believe it! I always get really nervous when I'm putting petrol in my car now. :o

That would really add up though if they round it down by a couple of cents every time. Plus they make very little money off petrol as is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

sweetie wrote: »
    my dad tells a story from when he was younger and he was drinking with some friends and one of them was teetotal. When it came to his round he bought 4 fizzy oranges for them.
    i do agree with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Saft Hans

Some bosses and managers are really particular about that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pholland

lad i work with sold his bike to another lad in work...but took the mudguards off before giving it to him.....same lad when eating sweets used to chew a piece of plastic as well so when asked for a sweet he would stick the plastic out of his mouth and say "i am only chewing this "..he also asks for childs dinner in pubs .... he is 48....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Pub near us,take-away beside it,one of the old fellas who is always in the pub orders a take-away to be delivered to his house,goes to the take-away from the pub and jumps into the delievry drivers car and gets a lift home for the price of the food.

Fooking Brilliant:)

Berty wrote: »
    I know this guy working for a bank who loaned himself 10Millions Euro and then told the government to bail out his bank.

What an As*

brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Whenever anyone asks me for change I always say:

"No thanks, I am good for change."

or

"Yeah I have loads of change actually, thanks for asking."

Said that one night to a bum outside the The Temple Bar pub. The bouncer laughed his bollocks off and the bum told me I was a smart cnut...:D

That's a bit cnutish out of you. you'll get a clip round the ear sometime soon with that carry on:p

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

The annoying ones are where you stop pumping at exactly 20.00, take the nozzle out but as you replace it on the holder it tips over to 20.01 due to the leftover in the nozzle moving. And they still expect you to pay for the .01 cent of petrol that you didn't pump out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MrsToad

A man I know has an uncle and aunt in the UK. They paid off their 20-year mortgage in 6 years by drawing up a list of all their friends and extended family, and inviting themselves to dinner in each house in rotation. Because it was a fairly long list there was a reasonable gap between each visit, so it took people a good while to realise what was going on. It meant they saved a fortune because they didn't have to pay for their dinners for 6 years.

They threw a party to celebrate paying off the mortgage. The invitation cards (he got one - as if he was to travel over from Ireland for the party) all had a big "BRING A BOTTLE" written on the inside, with little hand-drawn pictures of bottles scattered around the text. In case anyone was in any doubt as to what sort of bottle they were to bring, the little bottles all had labels on them....whisky, gin, vodka, Champagne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

Had to get up to Dublin sharpish one day to hand stuff into college. Before I left I was on the phone to my sister who said her boyfriend was driving up anyway if I wanted to save the €8 on the bus he'd bring me.

He collected me, stopped at a petrol station to fill the tank and I went in and bought a fivers worth of sweeties for the drive up.

Long story short, when I got to my street I hopped out and asked "do ya want any money for the petrol?" as a gesture.

"Aye" he says "give us twenty quid"

And I did. The tight hooer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

This story is God Honest true!!,. A friend of ours has a husband that is so tight she can't even buy a pair of nickers without his permission, he has to go to the shop with her. If they have a party he will spend any amount on drink, but for his own wife and kids not a cent is spent without his approval. Its so bad that when the wife wants something she will ask her sister to buy it and say if was a present.. now thats stingy (boarderline abusive)

seven-iron wrote: »
    I borrow the loo-roll out of the gym cause its cheaper than what they sell in super-value. Hurts the ring though if you rub too hard too often. My mate says I have piles because of it, so i suppose thats karma:mad:

And its called Stealing!

Some years ago I was given a piece of advise, Give without expecting in return, I always tip, and give to charity or collections. This started in 1999 when I just started work and hadn't a penny. Well ten years later I can say I am a lot better off. Strange thing is that all the money I have given has come back by other paths.

1. Found £20 on east wall footpath
    2. Found €20 euros in Lucan Superquinn Carpark.
    3. Won £50 on a scartch card on the quays in Dublin (gave £5 to the girl who sold it to me)
    4. Was in an airport and put a euro in a slot machine and won €200.
    5. Won 26 euros in another slot machine 6 months later.
    6. Got a bonus at work every year.
    7. Sold shares at a profit.
    8. Wife has won loads, jackpot at bingo, couple of hundred on lotto.

All in All I think I have got back 5 times more than I have given. Most important rule, Always tip (10% to 15%) always give to charity, always be generous, and never expect anything in return. It really works. call it Karma or what you like, but if everyone was like this, we would all feel better.

• Advertisement

Condoms are fcking expensive...you get them free in the UK from famile planning clinics and GPs

Well the don't give out enough of them (or they are bad quality) Uk has one of the highest birth rates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement