Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luas Green Line Extension to Cherrywood

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Roryhy wrote: »

really looking forward to the luas coming out to cherrywood next year, il be absolutely sorted in terms of transport-DART,LUAS, and various bus routes

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

4505993468_832dbe21a2_o.jpg

4505993460_859bea35ae_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Whatever happened to the proposed line E?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Wasn't there supposed to be a line coming to Lucan as well? Has that ever materialized?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

That was a feasibility study. It was found not to be feasible

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Will green line trams run on BXD or will this be a new line with two termini at the Green

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wasn't there supposed to be a line coming to Lucan as well? Has that ever materialized?

Line F, about 5 posts up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

nordydan wrote: »
    That was a feasibility study. It was found not to be feasible

It was found to be feasible, apparently it is going up for review at the end of the year to see if it is going to be done as part of T21.

Would be great if it did, goes right past my door

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

As a taxpayer, I don't want to see a Luas line built to Finglas esspecially one that goes to Broombridge (seen the railway station there recently). Whilst there are some good, decent people living in these areas I am afraid the fact is that a sizable minority will make a sh*t of anything they are given. Why spend a few hundred million for a Luas line somewhere we know it is going to be trashed? Those trams would be destroyed at Broombridge. Putting train windows in is a daily occurance there as well as intimidation at that station.

Imagine the type of beauties getting on that tram. The Tallaght line is bad enough already ferrying little scumbags free of charge from Tallaght to the Children's Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

darkman2 wrote: »
    As a taxpayer, I don't want to see a Luas line built to Finglas esspecially one that goes to Broombridge (seen the railway station there recently). Whilst there are some good, decent people living in these areas I am afraid the fact is that a sizable minority will make a sh*t of anything they are given. Why spend a few hundred million for a Luas line somewhere we know it is going to be trashed? Those trams would be destroyed at Broombridge. Putting train windows in is a daily occurance there as well as intimidation at that station.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Imagine the type of beauties getting on that tram. The Tallaght line is bad enough already ferrying little scumbags free of charge from Tallaght to the Children's Court.

Agreed, both places are full of scumbags, but not investing in the area is the worse thing you could do. This will just cause it it get worse. It should be properly patrolled by the Gardai and Luas private security.
    We really need some sort of transport police in Dublin, as public transport grows this problem is going to get worse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A lot of the problem with Broombridge is its in a wasteland of derelict buildings and the like, if the depot was built on top of these thats half the problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Anyone know what percentage of the bill the taxpayer is footing for the Citywest and Cherrywood extensions?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Anyone know what percentage of the bill the taxpayer is footing for the Citywest and Cherrywood extensions?

From what i can gather from a quick google search, the developers paid €39million out of a total cost of €149million. So 26% methinks.

Sources- http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0924/1224255134003.html

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=5932

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Paid or promised ??

Paid, wasn't the delay in starting over ensuring the cash turned up?

Services are now restored and running through the new track layout at Belgard (three platforms). No idea if the junction is installed yet, I'd hope so or there'll have to be another posession.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Sorry, but as someone who would benefit from BXD whilst not living in either Finglas, Broombridge or Cabra, I'd have to strongly disagree. Theres a rather huge number of new build apartment complexes in this area, Royal Canal Park (where I live), Rathbourne, Waterways, Phoenix Park Racecourse, etc, and that means a sizable number of commuters who would really benefit from a Luas line. Currently we're served only by the unreliable and infrequent Maynooth line trains and a 120 bus that has to wait for up to 10 minutes at peak times for said trains to pass at the O'Reillys Bridge level crossing.

Yes, that part of Broombridge is miserable looking, but you have to start trying to regenerate areas somewhere, and making use of all the derelict buildings would be a good start. I do think that BXD should continue onto these new developments, adding an extra mile or so, but I'd still rather have to walk to Broombridge for a Luas than the current situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Would've gone right through my house!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

The Green Line extension to Cherrywood is THE most important piece of infrastructural investment in the history of the state as it plonks a station a few minutes walking distance from my house. And it has another station outside The Gallops pub! Bliss. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Wild Bill wrote: »
    The Green Line extension to Cherrywood is THE most important piece of infrastructural investment in the history of the state as it plonks a station a few minutes walking distance from my house. And it has another station outside The Gallops pub! Bliss. :D

I don't think I got the memo...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

Roryhy wrote: »

Is there any sign of an opening date for Luas to Cherrywood? Are they still talking about late this year?

Thanks
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

caster wrote: »
    Is there any sign of an opening date for Luas to Cherrywood? Are they still talking about late this year?

Thanks
    C

I believe it's this year. The line is built, the electrical cables are live, and they're about to start running test trams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Luas Cherrywood Construction Update No.28

http://www.rpa.ie/en/news/Pages/LuasCherrywoodConstructionUpdateNo28.aspx

POWER SYSTEM WORKS
    The overhead cables which provide power for the Cherrywood Green Line extension are live. The team is about to reach anothermilestone with the completion of the installation of the control, communications and electrical systems.

To facilitate the link-up of the new Cherrywood extension with the Green line a few service changes at Sandyford, Stillorgan andKilmacud Stops are required. Passenger information will be posted on www.luas.ie and advertised on the relevant stops.

10-11 JULY 2010 SERVICE CHANGE LUAS GREEN LINE
    Sandyford, Stillorgan and Kilmacud Stops will be closed until 10am on Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th July 2010 to facilitate power and systems works of the Luas Green Line extension to Cherrywood. A bus service will operate between these stops and Balally Stop during these closures. Luas will operate normally between Balally and St. Stephen’s Green. A valid Luas ticket is required to travel on this bus. RPA and its contractors would like to thank you for your co-operation.

LUAS TESTING WATCH OUT FOR THE TRAMS!!
    From mid-July the systems testing phase will commence for the new Cherrywood extension. This will involve the movement of tramsbetween Sandyford and Brides Glen Stop on a regular basis. Thereare no passengers allowed on the Luas during this test phase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

caster wrote: »

Thanks
    C

Yep. The rocket is on the launch pad....countdown has begun.

Even the information structures are live; the kerbs are being polished. I expect to make my first train journey to the Gallops Pub before Christmas.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The gauging test is taking place today on the Green Line extension and as at 1305 the first two trams have reached the terminus at Brides Glen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

Well done ! .

Just a question. The terminus at Sandyford looks like an interchange. Is it the case that trams will be Brides Glen->Sandyford and then change for SSG->Sandyford or is it to be through running entirely ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I'd say it will be a mix of Brides Glen - St Stephens Green and Sandyford - St Stephens Green.

Advertisement