Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luas Green Line Extension to Cherrywood

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Roryhy wrote: »

really looking forward to the luas coming out to cherrywood next year, il be absolutely sorted in terms of transport-DART,LUAS, and various bus routes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

4505993468_832dbe21a2_o.jpg

4505993460_859bea35ae_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Whatever happened to the proposed line E?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Wasn't there supposed to be a line coming to Lucan as well? Has that ever materialized?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

That was a feasibility study. It was found not to be feasible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Will green line trams run on BXD or will this be a new line with two termini at the Green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wasn't there supposed to be a line coming to Lucan as well? Has that ever materialized?

Line F, about 5 posts up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

nordydan wrote: »
    That was a feasibility study. It was found not to be feasible

It was found to be feasible, apparently it is going up for review at the end of the year to see if it is going to be done as part of T21.

Would be great if it did, goes right past my door

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

As a taxpayer, I don't want to see a Luas line built to Finglas esspecially one that goes to Broombridge (seen the railway station there recently). Whilst there are some good, decent people living in these areas I am afraid the fact is that a sizable minority will make a sh*t of anything they are given. Why spend a few hundred million for a Luas line somewhere we know it is going to be trashed? Those trams would be destroyed at Broombridge. Putting train windows in is a daily occurance there as well as intimidation at that station.

Imagine the type of beauties getting on that tram. The Tallaght line is bad enough already ferrying little scumbags free of charge from Tallaght to the Children's Court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

darkman2 wrote: »
    As a taxpayer, I don't want to see a Luas line built to Finglas esspecially one that goes to Broombridge (seen the railway station there recently). Whilst there are some good, decent people living in these areas I am afraid the fact is that a sizable minority will make a sh*t of anything they are given. Why spend a few hundred million for a Luas line somewhere we know it is going to be trashed? Those trams would be destroyed at Broombridge. Putting train windows in is a daily occurance there as well as intimidation at that station.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Imagine the type of beauties getting on that tram. The Tallaght line is bad enough already ferrying little scumbags free of charge from Tallaght to the Children's Court.

Agreed, both places are full of scumbags, but not investing in the area is the worse thing you could do. This will just cause it it get worse. It should be properly patrolled by the Gardai and Luas private security.
    We really need some sort of transport police in Dublin, as public transport grows this problem is going to get worse.

A lot of the problem with Broombridge is its in a wasteland of derelict buildings and the like, if the depot was built on top of these thats half the problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Anyone know what percentage of the bill the taxpayer is footing for the Citywest and Cherrywood extensions?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Anyone know what percentage of the bill the taxpayer is footing for the Citywest and Cherrywood extensions?

From what i can gather from a quick google search, the developers paid €39million out of a total cost of €149million. So 26% methinks.

Sources- http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0924/1224255134003.html

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=5932

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Paid or promised ??

Paid, wasn't the delay in starting over ensuring the cash turned up?

Services are now restored and running through the new track layout at Belgard (three platforms). No idea if the junction is installed yet, I'd hope so or there'll have to be another posession.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Sorry, but as someone who would benefit from BXD whilst not living in either Finglas, Broombridge or Cabra, I'd have to strongly disagree. Theres a rather huge number of new build apartment complexes in this area, Royal Canal Park (where I live), Rathbourne, Waterways, Phoenix Park Racecourse, etc, and that means a sizable number of commuters who would really benefit from a Luas line. Currently we're served only by the unreliable and infrequent Maynooth line trains and a 120 bus that has to wait for up to 10 minutes at peak times for said trains to pass at the O'Reillys Bridge level crossing.

Yes, that part of Broombridge is miserable looking, but you have to start trying to regenerate areas somewhere, and making use of all the derelict buildings would be a good start. I do think that BXD should continue onto these new developments, adding an extra mile or so, but I'd still rather have to walk to Broombridge for a Luas than the current situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Would've gone right through my house!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

The Green Line extension to Cherrywood is THE most important piece of infrastructural investment in the history of the state as it plonks a station a few minutes walking distance from my house. And it has another station outside The Gallops pub! Bliss. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Wild Bill wrote: »
    The Green Line extension to Cherrywood is THE most important piece of infrastructural investment in the history of the state as it plonks a station a few minutes walking distance from my house. And it has another station outside The Gallops pub! Bliss. :D

I don't think I got the memo...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

Roryhy wrote: »

Is there any sign of an opening date for Luas to Cherrywood? Are they still talking about late this year?

Thanks
    C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

caster wrote: »
    Is there any sign of an opening date for Luas to Cherrywood? Are they still talking about late this year?

Thanks
    C

I believe it's this year. The line is built, the electrical cables are live, and they're about to start running test trams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Luas Cherrywood Construction Update No.28

http://www.rpa.ie/en/news/Pages/LuasCherrywoodConstructionUpdateNo28.aspx

POWER SYSTEM WORKS
    The overhead cables which provide power for the Cherrywood Green Line extension are live. The team is about to reach anothermilestone with the completion of the installation of the control, communications and electrical systems.

To facilitate the link-up of the new Cherrywood extension with the Green line a few service changes at Sandyford, Stillorgan andKilmacud Stops are required. Passenger information will be posted on www.luas.ie and advertised on the relevant stops.

10-11 JULY 2010 SERVICE CHANGE LUAS GREEN LINE
    Sandyford, Stillorgan and Kilmacud Stops will be closed until 10am on Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th July 2010 to facilitate power and systems works of the Luas Green Line extension to Cherrywood. A bus service will operate between these stops and Balally Stop during these closures. Luas will operate normally between Balally and St. Stephen’s Green. A valid Luas ticket is required to travel on this bus. RPA and its contractors would like to thank you for your co-operation.

LUAS TESTING WATCH OUT FOR THE TRAMS!!
    From mid-July the systems testing phase will commence for the new Cherrywood extension. This will involve the movement of tramsbetween Sandyford and Brides Glen Stop on a regular basis. Thereare no passengers allowed on the Luas during this test phase.

caster wrote: »

Thanks
    C

Yep. The rocket is on the launch pad....countdown has begun.

Even the information structures are live; the kerbs are being polished. I expect to make my first train journey to the Gallops Pub before Christmas.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The gauging test is taking place today on the Green Line extension and as at 1305 the first two trams have reached the terminus at Brides Glen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭trellheim

Well done ! .

Just a question. The terminus at Sandyford looks like an interchange. Is it the case that trams will be Brides Glen->Sandyford and then change for SSG->Sandyford or is it to be through running entirely ?

• Advertisement

I'd say it will be a mix of Brides Glen - St Stephens Green and Sandyford - St Stephens Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

watched this on the 6.01 .

Brennanstown stop is to be passed by trams, effectively a ghost stop.

listermint wrote: »
    watched this on the 6.01 .

Brennanstown stop is to be passed by trams, effectively a ghost stop.

Isnt there a large semi abandoned building site called Tullyvale where the people were supposed to be in Brennanstown????

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Isnt there a large semi abandoned building site called Tullyvale where the people were supposed to be in Brennanstown????

No. Wrong stop.

Brennanstown is in a green field that is completely undeveloped.

KC61 wrote: »

Ah OK, found it.

November 2009

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1114/1224258814878.html
    However, although a stop is being built at Brennanstown, off the N11 near Cabinteely, Luas trams will not stop there. New housing developments in the area had been and are being marketed on the basis of proximity to the Luas stop.
    A spokesman for the RPA said the area around the Brennanstown stop had not developed in the way that was expected.
    He said the road infrastructure around the stop had not been built.
    “There is no way passengers can get in and out,” he said.
    It was not the responsibility of the RPA to provide access roads, he added.

Sponge
    Once you pass Carrickmines you are in the country - cows 'n stuff. No wonder the old Harcourt St line went bust. Cows ain't keen on public transport!

(I guess it was the 19th century version of the new Ennis - Galway line)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Sponge
    Once you pass Carrickmines you are in the country - cows 'n stuff. No wonder the old Harcourt St line went bust. Cows ain't keen on public transport!

(I guess it was the 19th century version of the new Ennis - Galway line)

The Harcourt Street line never went bust, it was closed down as part of CIE's rolling programme of short sighted closures which ultimately failed to put the company back in the black. The Harcourt Street closure was undertaken by Todd Andrews with particular relish as he seemed to have a particular dislike for 'protestant solicitors' from Foxrock. The undue haste with which it was ripped up and the land etc. sold off was disgraceful. There was no attempt to reduce costs and at the time many voices were raised against the closure and alternatives put forward but the great god that was/is CIE listened to nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

The Harcourt Street line never went bust, it was closed down as part of CIE's rolling programme of short sighted closures which ultimately failed to put the company back in the black. The Harcourt Street closure was undertaken by Todd Andrews with particular relish as he seemed to have a particular dislike for 'protestant solicitors' from Foxrock. The undue haste with which it was ripped up and the land etc. sold off was disgraceful. There was no attempt to reduce costs and at the time many voices were raised against the closure and alternatives put forward but the great god that was/is CIE listened to nobody.

Indeed, also Harcourt Street was originaly the terminus for the D&SER railway. So all trains going to Bray and points south went to Harcourt street and not to what is now Pearse Station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

KC61 wrote: »
    I can't imagine the Laughanstown stop will much use in the near future. It's completely isolated with just a few houses nearby, barely accessible by road.

steve-o wrote: »
    I can't imagine the Laughanstown stop will much use in the near future. It's completely isolated with just a few houses nearby, barely accessible by road.

I could certainly see people being dropped off there from Cabinteely, but yes it is quite isolated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

dubhthach wrote: »
    Indeed, also Harcourt Street was originaly the terminus for the D&SER railway. So all trains going to Bray and points south went to Harcourt street and not to what is now Pearse Station.

I remember hearing the guy who closed it being interviewed on RTÉ radio in the early 90's or late 80's, can't remember. He said he had no regrets in closing it.

It's death was assured because there were two lines between Bray and town. And that was seen as wasteful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

THE FIRST tests of the long-awaited Cherrywood extension to the Luas Green Line took place yesterday.

The test began at 7am and covered the entire 7.5km of the new route. The extension almost doubles the initial 9km length of the Luas Green line from St Stephen’s Green to Sandyford.

Railway Procurement Agency spokesman Tom Manning said the test run had been successful and had resulted in the tram making the return journey faster than expected. The agency is responsible for developing the State’s light railway infrastructure.

The extended Luas line, which will service 12 stops between Sandyford and Bride’s Glen, is expected to open before the end of the year, although the agency is hopeful that it can be opened as early as October. The extension will link with the Luas Green Line at the Sandyford stop and travel southwest alongside the prominent Vodafone building at Central Park, across the M50, and will continue to Glencairn before crossing the M50 to Leopardstown and running on to Cherrywood and, ultimately, Brides Glen.

The €300 million Cherrywood Line was funded via a public-private partnership.

Property developers with projects within a kilometre of the Luas line were charged a special development levy, in a move designed to raise about €150 million of the cost of the extension.

Many of these developments were apartment blocks of between five and seven storeys which are now largely vacant.

Mr Manning said the economic difficulties now facing property developers had not affected the line’s development.

“There is a 30-year timeframe for the State to recoup the money, so that could be as many as three or more economic cycles,” he said.

Although the line came in within budget, there have been comparisons made between the cost of the Cherrywood extension and the cost of the first phase of the Luas light rail, with the new line costing about €5 million more a kilometre.

link
    RTE wrote:

The Rail Procurement Agency says it hopes to have the Luas extension to Cherrywood on Dublin's southside open for passengers in October following successful testing of the line today.

Although planned housing and commerical development along the route has not materialised, the rail body insists the extension will be a success.

The public private partnership project cost a total of €300m for an extra 7.5km of tram track on the Luas Green line from St Stephen's Green.
    Advertisement

From Sandyford there will be another 11 stops to Cherrywood and Brides Glen.

One station at Brennanstown will be ghost stop as none of the planned development has taken place and trams will not be stopping here for the forseeable future.

But RPA Chief Executive Frank Allen said this line will provide transport infrastructure for the future and make for communities that are less car dependent.

Residents in Cherrywood apartments in the local business park say the line is needed.

The RPA says the line will carry an extra 2m passengers a year with an overall journey time from Cherrywood to St Stephen's Green of about 40 minutes.

Link

I have to say I think this stuff about Brennanstown is much ado about nothing. We NEVER build infrastructure before development in this country, and when we finally do, we're whinging about it. When we get out of this recession there should be no problem building and flogging places right beside a LUAS station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

serfboard wrote: »
    link

Link

I have to say I think this stuff about Brennanstown is much ado about nothing. We NEVER build infrastructure before development in this country, and when we finally do, we're whinging about it. When we get out of this recession there should be no problem building and flogging places right beside a LUAS station.

My main beef wouldn't be with that now. It'd be with the multi-million bridge that somehow got designed to have a level crossing right at the end of it, and the general weaving route around the sandyford area, 90 degree turns around empty office blocks, etc. It is gonna be a lot slower than it aught to have been. But hey... Irlanda.

It's death was assured because there were two lines between Bray and town. And that was seen as wasteful.

Yep. It certainly was in the context of the time. A good decision, all in all. Some folk would argue we should have subsidised all the blacksmiths, candlestick makers, quill pen producers and glimmer men - just in case at some future date we might need them again!

serfboard wrote: »
    link

Link

Agree. Just read all the whining/gloating about isolated stations in Adamstown and Clongriffin for developments that are now stopped makes you wonder about the relentless negativity of a certain type of Irish mentality.

And the endless cribs about the DART (when it was being proposed), Knock Airport, all those "over specification" roads and "unnecessary" motorways - five in Meath golly gosh and yada yada....yawn.

Yet we should have kept everything built before 1922 open for eternity at any cost.

You couldn't make this up. :mad:

D.L.R. wrote: »
    My main beef wouldn't be with that now. It'd be with the multi-million bridge that somehow got designed to have a level crossing right at the end of it, and the general weaving route around the sandyford area, 90 degree turns around empty office blocks, etc. It is gonna be a lot slower than it aught to have been. But hey... Irlanda.

The Sandyford area through the Luas extension will pass is also choc-full of fully occupied houses and ....people. Unlike the emtpy spaces between the one acre gardens along the old Harcourt St route.

Bring on the Green Line and **** the begrudgers. Gallops Pub - here I come! :cool:

Imagine building a line through the areas that need it! Hey - Irlanda I guess.

Agree. Just read all the whining/gloating about isolated stations in Adamstown and Clongriffin for developments that are now stopped

There is another in Hansfield on the Dunboyne line, around here

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=53.387547&lon=-6.443706&zoom=16

Like Clongriffin and Admastown this is for a stillborn SDZ

Ta Sponge! I just noticed Hansfield on the new Dublin 2010 - 2011 map/atlas from OSi.

Never heard about it before and I wondered (for a few seconds) what the station was doing out there!

Now, as I sit here near Ballyogan, every so often the wind blows the sounds of loud rock music from the Northwest. There must be something on in Marlay Park - you lose touch with these things after a certain age.

I have been hanging around here on and off in the hope of snapping some Luas shots for the board but so far nothing. Also the traffic signals and signals for the Luas trams have not gone live yet - still covered up.

Never heard about it before and I wondered (for a few seconds) what the station was doing out there!

Kishogue station ( mothballed) was built for the Clonburris SDZ east of the Adamstown SDZ. All of these ghost stations were planned around 2005-2007 and many are only now being completed.

Clongriffin is an exception Bill, there be a fair few real peoples and large Nama bound ghost estates about them parts, essentially sandwiched between the N32 to the south and the R123 to the north.

Lots of people between Sandyford to Carrickmines. After that there is no point in opening anything till Cherrywood. Nothing there in between.

20 years ago there was nothing here either!

But it seems that (a) Harcourt St should have been kept open from 1960 - 1990 though nobody used it but (b) the new Luas isn't justified 'cos it is going through "empty office blocks" (unlike empty fields which, apparently, need trains :D).

(Actually the Luas extension doesn't take 90 degree turns past any empty office block anywhere along the route). The last section of the original green line along the old Harcourt St line, however,does pass some high-profile unfinished skeletons of apartments and offices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

The Sandyford area through the Luas extension will pass is also choc-full of fully occupied houses and ....people. Unlike the emtpy spaces between the one acre gardens along the old Harcourt St route.

Bring on the Green Line and **** the begrudgers. Gallops Pub - here I come! :cool:

Imagine building a line through the areas that need it! Hey - Irlanda I guess.

Yeah we're so on top of building lines through areas that need them haha.

• Advertisement
Advertisement