Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Green Line Extension to Cherrywood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

watched this on the 6.01 .

Brennanstown stop is to be passed by trams, effectively a ghost stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

listermint wrote: »
    watched this on the 6.01 .

Brennanstown stop is to be passed by trams, effectively a ghost stop.

Isnt there a large semi abandoned building site called Tullyvale where the people were supposed to be in Brennanstown????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Isnt there a large semi abandoned building site called Tullyvale where the people were supposed to be in Brennanstown????

No. Wrong stop.

Brennanstown is in a green field that is completely undeveloped.

KC61 wrote: »

Ah OK, found it.

November 2009

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1114/1224258814878.html
    However, although a stop is being built at Brennanstown, off the N11 near Cabinteely, Luas trams will not stop there. New housing developments in the area had been and are being marketed on the basis of proximity to the Luas stop.
    A spokesman for the RPA said the area around the Brennanstown stop had not developed in the way that was expected.
    He said the road infrastructure around the stop had not been built.
    “There is no way passengers can get in and out,” he said.
    It was not the responsibility of the RPA to provide access roads, he added.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Sponge
    Once you pass Carrickmines you are in the country - cows 'n stuff. No wonder the old Harcourt St line went bust. Cows ain't keen on public transport!
    :D

(I guess it was the 19th century version of the new Ennis - Galway line)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Sponge
    Once you pass Carrickmines you are in the country - cows 'n stuff. No wonder the old Harcourt St line went bust. Cows ain't keen on public transport!
    :D

(I guess it was the 19th century version of the new Ennis - Galway line)

The Harcourt Street line never went bust, it was closed down as part of CIE's rolling programme of short sighted closures which ultimately failed to put the company back in the black. The Harcourt Street closure was undertaken by Todd Andrews with particular relish as he seemed to have a particular dislike for 'protestant solicitors' from Foxrock. The undue haste with which it was ripped up and the land etc. sold off was disgraceful. There was no attempt to reduce costs and at the time many voices were raised against the closure and alternatives put forward but the great god that was/is CIE listened to nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

The Harcourt Street line never went bust, it was closed down as part of CIE's rolling programme of short sighted closures which ultimately failed to put the company back in the black. The Harcourt Street closure was undertaken by Todd Andrews with particular relish as he seemed to have a particular dislike for 'protestant solicitors' from Foxrock. The undue haste with which it was ripped up and the land etc. sold off was disgraceful. There was no attempt to reduce costs and at the time many voices were raised against the closure and alternatives put forward but the great god that was/is CIE listened to nobody.

Indeed, also Harcourt Street was originaly the terminus for the D&SER railway. So all trains going to Bray and points south went to Harcourt street and not to what is now Pearse Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

KC61 wrote: »
    I can't imagine the Laughanstown stop will much use in the near future. It's completely isolated with just a few houses nearby, barely accessible by road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

steve-o wrote: »
    I can't imagine the Laughanstown stop will much use in the near future. It's completely isolated with just a few houses nearby, barely accessible by road.

I could certainly see people being dropped off there from Cabinteely, but yes it is quite isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

dubhthach wrote: »
    Indeed, also Harcourt Street was originaly the terminus for the D&SER railway. So all trains going to Bray and points south went to Harcourt street and not to what is now Pearse Station.

I remember hearing the guy who closed it being interviewed on RTÉ radio in the early 90's or late 80's, can't remember. He said he had no regrets in closing it.

It's death was assured because there were two lines between Bray and town. And that was seen as wasteful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

THE FIRST tests of the long-awaited Cherrywood extension to the Luas Green Line took place yesterday.

The test began at 7am and covered the entire 7.5km of the new route. The extension almost doubles the initial 9km length of the Luas Green line from St Stephen’s Green to Sandyford.

Railway Procurement Agency spokesman Tom Manning said the test run had been successful and had resulted in the tram making the return journey faster than expected. The agency is responsible for developing the State’s light railway infrastructure.

The extended Luas line, which will service 12 stops between Sandyford and Bride’s Glen, is expected to open before the end of the year, although the agency is hopeful that it can be opened as early as October. The extension will link with the Luas Green Line at the Sandyford stop and travel southwest alongside the prominent Vodafone building at Central Park, across the M50, and will continue to Glencairn before crossing the M50 to Leopardstown and running on to Cherrywood and, ultimately, Brides Glen.

The €300 million Cherrywood Line was funded via a public-private partnership.

Property developers with projects within a kilometre of the Luas line were charged a special development levy, in a move designed to raise about €150 million of the cost of the extension.

Many of these developments were apartment blocks of between five and seven storeys which are now largely vacant.

Mr Manning said the economic difficulties now facing property developers had not affected the line’s development.

“There is a 30-year timeframe for the State to recoup the money, so that could be as many as three or more economic cycles,” he said.

Although the line came in within budget, there have been comparisons made between the cost of the Cherrywood extension and the cost of the first phase of the Luas light rail, with the new line costing about €5 million more a kilometre.

link
    RTE wrote:

The Rail Procurement Agency says it hopes to have the Luas extension to Cherrywood on Dublin's southside open for passengers in October following successful testing of the line today.

Although planned housing and commerical development along the route has not materialised, the rail body insists the extension will be a success.

The public private partnership project cost a total of €300m for an extra 7.5km of tram track on the Luas Green line from St Stephen's Green.
    Advertisement

From Sandyford there will be another 11 stops to Cherrywood and Brides Glen.

One station at Brennanstown will be ghost stop as none of the planned development has taken place and trams will not be stopping here for the forseeable future.

But RPA Chief Executive Frank Allen said this line will provide transport infrastructure for the future and make for communities that are less car dependent.

Residents in Cherrywood apartments in the local business park say the line is needed.

The RPA says the line will carry an extra 2m passengers a year with an overall journey time from Cherrywood to St Stephen's Green of about 40 minutes.

Link

I have to say I think this stuff about Brennanstown is much ado about nothing. We NEVER build infrastructure before development in this country, and when we finally do, we're whinging about it. When we get out of this recession there should be no problem building and flogging places right beside a LUAS station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

serfboard wrote: »
    link

Link

I have to say I think this stuff about Brennanstown is much ado about nothing. We NEVER build infrastructure before development in this country, and when we finally do, we're whinging about it. When we get out of this recession there should be no problem building and flogging places right beside a LUAS station.

My main beef wouldn't be with that now. It'd be with the multi-million bridge that somehow got designed to have a level crossing right at the end of it, and the general weaving route around the sandyford area, 90 degree turns around empty office blocks, etc. It is gonna be a lot slower than it aught to have been. But hey... Irlanda.

It's death was assured because there were two lines between Bray and town. And that was seen as wasteful.

Yep. It certainly was in the context of the time. A good decision, all in all. Some folk would argue we should have subsidised all the blacksmiths, candlestick makers, quill pen producers and glimmer men - just in case at some future date we might need them again!

serfboard wrote: »
    link

Link

Agree. Just read all the whining/gloating about isolated stations in Adamstown and Clongriffin for developments that are now stopped makes you wonder about the relentless negativity of a certain type of Irish mentality.

And the endless cribs about the DART (when it was being proposed), Knock Airport, all those "over specification" roads and "unnecessary" motorways - five in Meath golly gosh and yada yada....yawn.

Yet we should have kept everything built before 1922 open for eternity at any cost.

You couldn't make this up. :mad:

D.L.R. wrote: »
    My main beef wouldn't be with that now. It'd be with the multi-million bridge that somehow got designed to have a level crossing right at the end of it, and the general weaving route around the sandyford area, 90 degree turns around empty office blocks, etc. It is gonna be a lot slower than it aught to have been. But hey... Irlanda.

The Sandyford area through the Luas extension will pass is also choc-full of fully occupied houses and ....people. Unlike the emtpy spaces between the one acre gardens along the old Harcourt St route.

Bring on the Green Line and **** the begrudgers. Gallops Pub - here I come! :cool:

Imagine building a line through the areas that need it! Hey - Irlanda I guess.

Agree. Just read all the whining/gloating about isolated stations in Adamstown and Clongriffin for developments that are now stopped

There is another in Hansfield on the Dunboyne line, around here

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=53.387547&lon=-6.443706&zoom=16

Like Clongriffin and Admastown this is for a stillborn SDZ

Ta Sponge! I just noticed Hansfield on the new Dublin 2010 - 2011 map/atlas from OSi.

Never heard about it before and I wondered (for a few seconds) what the station was doing out there!

Now, as I sit here near Ballyogan, every so often the wind blows the sounds of loud rock music from the Northwest. There must be something on in Marlay Park - you lose touch with these things after a certain age.

I have been hanging around here on and off in the hope of snapping some Luas shots for the board but so far nothing. Also the traffic signals and signals for the Luas trams have not gone live yet - still covered up.

Never heard about it before and I wondered (for a few seconds) what the station was doing out there!

Kishogue station ( mothballed) was built for the Clonburris SDZ east of the Adamstown SDZ. All of these ghost stations were planned around 2005-2007 and many are only now being completed.

Clongriffin is an exception Bill, there be a fair few real peoples and large Nama bound ghost estates about them parts, essentially sandwiched between the N32 to the south and the R123 to the north.

Lots of people between Sandyford to Carrickmines. After that there is no point in opening anything till Cherrywood. Nothing there in between.

20 years ago there was nothing here either!

But it seems that (a) Harcourt St should have been kept open from 1960 - 1990 though nobody used it but (b) the new Luas isn't justified 'cos it is going through "empty office blocks" (unlike empty fields which, apparently, need trains :D).

(Actually the Luas extension doesn't take 90 degree turns past any empty office block anywhere along the route). The last section of the original green line along the old Harcourt St line, however,does pass some high-profile unfinished skeletons of apartments and offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

The Sandyford area through the Luas extension will pass is also choc-full of fully occupied houses and ....people. Unlike the emtpy spaces between the one acre gardens along the old Harcourt St route.

Bring on the Green Line and **** the begrudgers. Gallops Pub - here I come! :cool:

Imagine building a line through the areas that need it! Hey - Irlanda I guess.

Yeah we're so on top of building lines through areas that need them haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

, and the general weaving route around the sandyford area, 90 degree turns around empty office blocks, etc. It is gonna be a lot slower than it aught to have been. But hey... Irlanda.
    I agree, on Adelaide road, we have a Government building on the left as the Luas takes a hard left turn, and then as it takes a hard right around what was a service station in my day, I believe its Starbucks now, built only 2-3 years before the luas, you just have to wonder what type of planning was going in Dublin city council:mad: Anyone would think we've a shortage of office buildings - could Dublin city council not have coerced the developers to buy the land around Manhatten bar and George Bernard Shaw pub and build the office buildings there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

could Dublin city council not have coerced the developers to buy the land around Manhatten bar and George Bernard Shaw pub and build the office buildings there!

Maybe the developers were afraid the luas would restrict access to any car park they would plan for the building :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Any idea how long Cherrywood to Stephen's Green will take once it's up and running?

Edit: Oops. Got it. Should learn to read.

In the case of the Green Line extension - 100% correct. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Mezcita wrote: »
    Any idea how long Cherrywood to Stephen's Green will take once it's up and running?

Edit: Oops. Got it. Should learn to read.

And here's the answer just in case anyone else is interested.
    RPA wrote:
    Q: What is the journey time to the City Centre from Cherrywood?

A: The journey time from Cherrywood to the City Centre is likely to be approximately 39 minutes.

link

There are six new sets of traffic lights on 3km long Ballyogan Road; all related to the Luas. Two of them were switched on today. And the plastic covers were removed from the names of the various stops.

Still haven't seen a Luas.

The excitement is becoming unbearable.

I may camp out there tonight. :cool:

Still haven't seen one.

But all the traffic lights (5 sets) on the Ballyogan Road are now in operation (:().

And the Luas signals are working.

And the halts are all lit up and look very pretty on this warm summer night.

And I left the card for the camera at home when I went over there to take a few photos :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Actually all the new lines are going through areas that need them. Adamstown, Parkwest, Clongriffin - high density areas based around PT. Kishogue, Hansfield, Brennanstown future development areas.

We've created a situation that when the property market eventually recovers in a few years and new residential construction gets underway citywide, -shock horror!- we won't need to build any transportation infrastructure for them. It'll already be in place. Makes a refreshing change.

Pity the Green extension is a bit convoluted around the Sandyford-Central Park stretch. They spent a bomb on that huge Lep roundabout overbridge. Should really just have blitzed the apartment block here and overpassed the lot. You could eventually, but you'd have to shut down the service for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Plasmoid

Seen a good few Luas trams go past. They always seem to either first thing after rush hour in the morning, or at midnight.

2 Just wen't out past me at Central Park, and 1 has come back since.

They must have some night owls for test drivers.

Here's some photos since none have been posted.

th_P1030451.jpg

th_P1030449.jpg

Need to get a night photo. They go past all hazards blazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Still haven't seen a Luas.
    Plasmoid wrote: »
    Seen a good few Luas go past.
    Luas is a brand name for the system as a whole. The vehicles are called trams.

[/pedantic]

Advertisement