Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everybody can come into our liberal paradise - just don't go to their countries!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Antbert wrote: »
    Losing interest...
    Thank you, come again.
    MaybeLogic wrote: »
    I'd love to hear your answer to IrishConvert, but we're getting side-tracked.
    Why do you hate him?

He idolizes a paedophile.
    Nodin wrote: »
    No, you're implying its being witheld and distorted, as per your quotes above. You only started changing your tune when questioned on it.

Why do you think they'd do this ? What would be the motivation?
    I don't know, that's not my business :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

SV wrote: »

AFAIK, the girl was betrothed to Mohammed, in an arranged marriage when she was a child, but the marriage wasn't consumated until she reached sexual maturity. (from a Karen Armstrong book)

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    AFAIK, the girl was betrothed to Mohammed, in an arranged marriage when she was a child, but the marriage wasn't consumated until she reached sexual maturity. (from a Karen Armstrong book)

Everything I recall reading suggested differently though I can't be sure.
    besides the fact that the whole 'arranged marriage' carry on..to a child..disgusts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Step to far maybe, im all for laughing at anything on AH for the craic, but bro this could be that one sledge to far, just my opinion though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Everything I recall reading suggested differently though I can't be sure.
    besides the fact that the whole 'arranged marriage' carry on..to a child..disgusts me.

Yeah, but as it was virtually world wide practice at the time, your condemnation of an historical custom is notably selective.
    I don't know, that's not my business .

Amaze us all and speculate. Give of your thoughts....or maybe - You wouldn't be afraid to be open with your views for some reason....? I mean you imply a conspiracy and won't say why....you say you hate muslims, but don't explain why...

• Advertisement

The Aussie wrote: »
    Step to far maybe, im all for laughing at anything on AH for the craic, but bro this could be that one sledge to far, just my opinion though...

How can it be 'too far' when it's the truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Liked the piece at the end:

“We don’t have a problem with the children if the adults behave responsibly in the things they do and say,” said school principal Sr Carmel O’Halloran.

Resonates with the OP's fairytale too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Yeah, but as it was virtually world wide practice at the time, your condemnation of an historical custom is notably selective.

Amaze us all and speculate. Give of your thoughts....or maybe - You wouldn't be afraid to be open with your views for some reason....? I mean you imply a conspiracy and won't say why....you say you hate muslims, but don't explain why...

Oh shut up..you're boring.

Degsy wrote: »
    Oh shut up..you're boring.

Awww, poor Degsy.....

I can use a crayon effect with bright colours,maybe a few explanatory drawings, and post it as a picture if it'd make it easier for you.

Awww, poor Degsy.....

I can use a crayon effect with bright colours,maybe a few explanatory drawings, and post it as a picture if it'd make it easier for you.

You can if you like but it'll still be boring.

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    You can if you like but it'll still be boring.

Is the OP boring as well, because you don't seem to have addressed that at all....

No, the pic would be grand- you might even be able to understand and particpate for once..........................................................................
    ................ rather than make statements you can't back up, then deny reality for a few pages before slinking off....

Is the OP boring as well, because you don't seem to have addressed that at all....

No, the pic would be grand- you might even be able to understand and particpate for once..........................................................................
    ................ rather than make statements you can't back up, then deny reality for a few pages before slinking off....

Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 1337 hakker

The only ever liberal paradise was minerva but the controlling elite threw their might around and made sure it never truely got off the ground :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

we are liberal? paradise? you are ****ing kidding now right?

I suppose that is why for most of our 90 years has been mostly ff/fg which are middle right and labour which are middle with a very mild left.

several history majors here i can see - too many right wing ignorant comments to correct.

I suppose that is why for most of our 90 years has been mostly ff/fg which are middle right and labour which are middle with a very mild left.

several history majors here i can see - too many right wing ignorant comments to correct.

Probably some truth in what you say. Our more "liberal" rules are often EU rules, which FF love pointing out. You'd swear they had no say on these EU Rules, but people still fall for it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Wether or not you think kissing in public is right or wrong, the public displays of affection laws have always been there, and everyone knows about them, so noone can complain about the consequences of breaking the laws

We better get used to it anyways, the whole world will be muslim in less than 50 years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The Aussie wrote: »
    Seemed funny after the pub at 1.30, still does. Anyway your still to explain how im at fault for something that happened before i was born by a previous generation and also how im not as Australian as anyone else elidgable to carry an Australian passport, are you the sort of person who sees a Nigerian child and still sees a forigner

No, I don't have to explain anything, because that's not what I said. You've put words into my mouth and created an irrelevant and off-topic argument for me which I'm not going to run with. As well as that, you've illustrated that you don't have the capacity to discuss this issue without resorting to petty jibes and so maybe you should reconsider whether your contributions to this thread have any merit whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In fairness, Ireland is hardly super draconian either.
    unreggd wrote: »
    We better get used to it anyways, the whole world will be muslim in less than 50 years
    But what are you basing this on? The claim is being made here quite a bit, but without any hard evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3X5hIFXYU

My Dad is muslim, so trust me, the figures seem very accurate

It scares the crap out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

To our credit, we did show those controversial picture of the Prophet Mohammed in our newspapers a few years ago. That was brave as well as right imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Piste wrote: »
    Except it's not analogous at all, the Aboriginals were there first, then Europeans came over and took their land and continues to treat them badly. Travellers can hardly be considered more "native Irish" than the rest of us.

I dont see how i am putting words in your mouth, it is you are trying to to say that anyone is more of a "Native" than someone else born in the same country also i dont see how it is an "off-topic irrelevlent argument" the thread title is Everybody can come to our liberal paradise, they can come here but with the rational you are showing they will never be accepted and always be outsiders who dont belong, a hint of racism maybe

And as i stated elsewhere in this thread, i find it almost weird at times how the Aboriginal debate is bandied about by those least equipped to argue a valid point, the facts are that you jumped in with a irrational response that you failed to back instead attempt to dismiss, awaiting for your "stinging reply"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    To our credit, we did show those controversial picture of the Prophet Mohammed in our newspapers a few years ago. That was brave as well as right imho.

Why do you think it is right to purposely do something with the intent of trying to insult a whole group of people?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Watch this:

Wow, you are actually posting a video that was debunked earlier in the thread. Well here is the debunking again:

Debunking a YouTube hit

The video is nonsense, and has a clear agenda of hatred, not to dis-similar from similar diatribes, against, Jews, Black people, and even Catholics, at various times and places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

old_aussie wrote: »
    muslims don't assimilate onto the community, they try to change it to their way.
    You might mention that to the Muslims I was having pints with on Paddy's day. :D

Watch this:

Its an urban legend at this stage, a snopes.

Read back a page or two.

PS. It's meant to scare the crap out of you. That's the only point of the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Dudess wrote: »
    In fairness, Ireland is hardly super draconian either.

But what are you basing this on? The claim is being made here quite a bit, but without any hard evidence.

I think he is basing his claim on the fall in catholic/christian support and the rapid increase in the members of Islam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Why do you think it is right to purposly do something with the intent of trying to insult a whole group of people?

It's a fine line isn't it?

Everything is offensive to someone (at least as far as I can tell).

That's why I dont really have a problem with other countries having vastly different outlooks/laws, hopefully there is a place in the world where everyone can be comfortable.

Admittedly it's different to reconcile with the idea of basic human rights, we all think the rights that our country/society holds as the most important are inalienable to all people around the world.

Maybe we'll all just have to accept that exporting our beliefs isn't always possible or even desireable.

Glenster wrote: »
    It's a fine line isn't it?

Everything is offensive to someone (at least as far as I can tell).

That's why I dont really have a problem with other countries having vastly different outlooks/laws, hopefully there is a place in the world where everyone can be comfortable.

Admittedly it's different to reconcile with the idea of basic human rights, we all think the rights that our country/society holds as the most important are inalienable to all people around the world.

Maybe we'll all just have to accept that exporting our beliefs isn't always possible or even desireable.

I am talking about someone publishing a cartoon in a newspaper which serves no other purpose other than to offend a whole group of people. Why do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I am talking about someone publishing a cartoon in a newspaper which serves no other purpose other than to offend a whole group of people. Why do it?

To be fair, in the instance being talked about, the cartoons were published to show the context of the protests going on in the ME at the time. So I think it unfair to say that they were trying to offend people. The cartoons were reprinted multiple times due to violent protests in the ME. It would have made more sense to just ignore them, and they would have been forgotten ages ago.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    To be fair, in the instance being talked about, the cartoons were published to show the context of the protests going on in the ME at the time. So I think it unfair to say that they were trying to offend people. The cartoons were reprinted multiple times due to violent protests in the ME. It would have made more sense to just ignore them, and they would have been forgotten ages ago.

I was responsing this post:
    Bodhisopha wrote:

I wanted to know what the point of an Irish newspaper publishing the cartoons and why did the poster agree with it.I know if a draw an offensive cartoon of my work colleague's mother, for example, he will be really pissed off and probably deck me. Why would I do it? Sure I have the right to draw the cartoon with freedom of speech, but why do it when I know all it will do is offend him?

Advertisement