Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everybody can come into our liberal paradise - just don't go to their countries!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

old_aussie wrote: »
    When I'm on the train and see a muslim I always put one leg up so that the sole of the shoe on that foot faces the muslim.

Hmmm, it wouldn't insult me. I don't know of any Islamic reason anybody would be insulted by that.
    I've had some of them get so upset that they actually started abusing me and several have actually attempted to physically assault me.

Last one who put his hands on me got a hiding and was arrested by police at the next station.

When he went to court for assault, he said what I was doing was an insult to islam and that he had the religious right to act against me as he did. Violence is their answer to most things that they don't approve of.

I think you need to step outside of your fantasy land now, time to take your medication.
    muslims don't assimilate onto the community, they try to change it to their way.
    What way would you like me to assimilate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Adyx wrote: »
    What a hero. :rolleyes:

"Violence is their answer to most things that they don't approve of."
    Acting like an ignorant bigot is obviously your answer.

For feck's sake, the man only folded his legs a certain way. So what if it was deliberate? It's no different to wearing a t-shirt with Jebus humping a dog. Let's not forget that insulting religion is a right (yes we still have it despite Mr Ahern) that we have in free countries and if you don't practise it, there's no point having it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    There is one in Dublin. D4 somewhere.

D2, sorry.

EMBASSY OF THE UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
    Dunganon Suite (214), The Merrion Hotel, Upper Merrion Street, Dublin 2

So there is! Thanks for putting me right on that. It's open less than a month, it appears.

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100317/OPINION/703169905/1080/commentary?template=opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

For feck's sake, the man only folded his legs a certain way. So what if it was deliberate? It's no different to wearing a t-shirt with Jebus humping a dog. Let's not forget that insulting religion is a right (yes we still have it despite Mr Ahern) that we have in free countries and if you don't practise it, there's no point having it.

No we don't. :confused: It's a 25000 Euro fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

For the record I generally am pretty tolerant of religious beliefs. It's just that I often hear people moan about Muslims not respecting Christian traditions. But a lot of these same people don't seem to mind atheists who mock their beliefs. The point is that the whole "respect our culture" crap is only applied to certain groups of people.

Christians are just as bad. I respect everyones beliefs as long as they respect mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

For feck's sake, the man only folded his legs a certain way. So what if it was deliberate?

I am willing to bet thats not the full story. No One would react like that unless they were either insane or they knew it was deliberate.

The Aussie wrote: »

Although I do love it when the high and mighty Boards brigade start on about the treatment of Aboriginals in Australia, i think straight away about the treatment of members of the Traveling Community by the Irish public and think hypocrites.

There's a big ****íng difference in scale there. Pretty much all legislation relating to travellers has been equality and housing type stuff. Not kidnapping their children or shít like that. And they aren't a seperate race either but that's for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Look, if I deliberately set out to insult a Catholic, Presbyterian or Protestant say, I ended up getting a thump, I'd be partly responsible for it. I know personal responsibility is unpopular here and by the sounds of it Australia but, if you set out to piss of people, don't be pissed of if they bite.

PS. Going from Irishconverts post, the poster is probably talking sh*te, not that it was in much doubt but I await the nail in the coffin.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

NTMK wrote: »
    I am willing to bet thats not the full story. No One would react like that unless they were either insane or they knew it was deliberate.

I think you're right. I responded a bit early there without reading subsequent posts.

K-9 wrote: »
    Look, if I deliberately set out to insult a Catholic, Presbyterian or Protestant say, I ended up getting a thump, I'd be partly responsible for it. I know personal responsibility is unpopular here and by the sounds of it Australia but, if you set out to piss of people, don't be pissed of if they bite.

I agree. I had been a bit too quick to respond earlier and hadn't read the thread. What he did seems similar to staring and giving him the finger. It's more like bullying than insulting a religion. For the record, I'm all for insulting religions.

• Advertisement

Millicent wrote: »
    No we don't. :confused: It's a 25000 Euro fine.
    But so unenforceable that it might as well not be on the books. It's an Irish solution to an Irish problem as Haughy would say.

I agree. I had been a bit too quick to respond earlier and hadn't read the thread. What he did seems similar to staring and giving him the finger. It's more like bullying than insulting a religion. For the record, I'm all for insulting religions.

I haven't much time for it either or the paranormal or fortune tellers, though part of me wants to believe! :rolleyes:

Anyway, look, I live in a very mixed area regarding religions. Hell (sorry for the pun) there is a Free Presbyterian church near me, Paisley makes the odd appearance.

There is marches here for the 12th and other times.

Everybody gets a long grand because they respect or even ignore the differences.

If everybody went about purposely trying to offend every religion, Catholic, Presbyterian, Paisleyite, Methodist and Protestant the place would be bedlam!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

But so unenforceable that it might as well not be on the books. It's an Irish solution to an Irish problem as Haughy would say.

One of my favourite phrases because its so true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

THEY TOOK AR JURBS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Moomoo1

Antbert wrote: »
    If you actually always sit like that, then fine. If you go out of your way to do it, it makes you a bit of a wanker.

pretty much. For it to be insulting the sole has to point towards the Muslim. That means that you have to try quite hard to sit in exactly the right way - unless you are a yoga expert.
    FearDark wrote: »
    I'll start obeying their laws when they stop bombing train stations. Durka durka's the lot of them.*

Post may be seen as slightly racist.

who is this 'they'?

(In my life I only heard one terrorist bomb go off. It was at Finchley Road Underground Station in 1993. I only seem to recall that the bombers weren't Muslims...)

Moomoo1 wrote: »
    pretty much. For it to be insulting the sole has to point towards the Muslim. That means that you have to try quite hard to sit in exactly the right way - unless you are a yoga expert.

who is this 'they'?

(In my life I only heard one terrorist bomb go off. It was at Finchley Road Underground Station in 1993. I only seem to recall that the bombers weren't Muslims...)

Reeling back the years was very good covering the Birmingham 6 and Guildford 4. Amazing how many had the pitchforks out for the Irish.

You'd think we'd know better, wouldn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Elevator wrote: »
    I think we should definately take australias line on this subject

http://hubpages.com/hub/AUSTRALIAN-PRIME-MINISTER-TELL-MUSLIMSTAKE-IT-OR-LEAVE

He never said that. Look it up on Snopes.
    old aussie wrote:
    When I'm on (.....)change it to their way.

I admire the way you handled yourself there....what school of internet hard man arts did you study?

Nodin wrote: »
    He never said that. Look it up on Snopes.

I admire the way you handled yourself there....what school of internet hard man arts did you study?

;) I never even clicked on the link, has a sixth sense it was that one!

Still haven't clicked. It really is a rick roll of epic proportions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Piste wrote: »
    Except it's not analogous at all, the Aboriginals were there first, then Europeans came over and took their land and continues to treat them badly. Travellers can hardly be considered more "native Irish" than the rest of us.

well, to be Australian you need to be a citizen of Australia, i was born in Australia, so how does that make an Aboriginal, anymore Australian than me or anybody else carring an Australian passport.

you might want to stick to modding the pimple popping forums

There's a big ****íng difference in scale there. Pretty much all legislation relating to travellers has been equality and housing type stuff. Not kidnapping their children or shít like that. And they aren't a seperate race either but that's for another thread.

Scale means nothing to the Individual, so you are trying to tell me that no child of a Traveler ended up in an Industrial School after being "Kidnapped" by a extremist catholic church, and besides it was the same extremist version of the catholic church that was behind the "kidnapping" of the Aboriginal chilren with many/most being from Ireland, its long been known that Ireland had so many peodaphile priests they exported them and called them missionaries, so like it or lump it but Irelans had their own dirty little part to play in that dark little chapter in history

And besides i will ask a Traveller how equal he feels with all this equality legislation:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

And this is why you can't be treated with the same respect as other posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ah, when in doubt - attack the character of the person speaking rather than the merits of their debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

well, to be Australian you need to be a citizen of Australia, i was born in Australia, so how does that make an Aboriginal, anymore Australian than me or anybody else carring an Australian passport.

Scale means nothing to the Individual, so you are trying to tell me that no child of a Traveler ended up in an Industrial School after being "Kidnapped" by a extremist catholic church, and besides it was the same extremist version of the catholic church that was behind the "kidnapping" of the Aboriginal chilren with many/most being from Ireland, its long been known that Ireland had so many peodaphile priests they exported them and called them missionaries, so like it or lump it but Irelans had their own dirty little part to play in that dark little chapter in history

And besides i will ask a Traveller how equal he feels with all this equality legislation:pac:

Dude, I believe it was me who first mentioned Australia.
    Somebody gave Australia as an example of a country we wouldn't protest against if they engaged in humans rights abuses and I just countered saying they have and do. Same as most countries in the world, to a greater or lesser extent.
    It wasn't an attack on all Australians, as that is the very point I was trying to make in the thread, that all Muslims can't be targeted for what happens in one Islamic judiciary.
    Could you please convey my apologies to all those Australians who have not engaged in or supported human rights abuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

If we could only get the alternative energy and the synthetic hydrocarbons going we'd be sorted!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Who pissed in your corn flakes???? :rolleyes:

dont be so sick! the language which is used on this forum is atrocious it wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else... so why do it here.. :mad:

owenc wrote: »
    dont be so sick! the language which is used on this forum is atrocious it wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else... so why do it here.. :mad:

It is tolerated here, in AH, for the most part. It can't be used to abuse another poster but casting aspersions about their cornflakes is fine.

It is tolerated here, in AH, for the most part. It can't be used to abuse another poster but casting aspersions about their cornflakes is fine.

so they're aloud to swear..

Seemed funny after the pub at 1.30, still does. Anyway your still to explain how im at fault for something that happened before i was born by a previous generation and also how im not as Australian as anyone else elidgable to carry an Australian passport, are you the sort of person who sees a Nigerian child and still sees a forigner

owenc wrote: »
    so they're aloud to swear..

Swearing is allowed, yes. Just personal abuse isn't.

• Advertisement

Swearing is allowed, yes. Just personal abuse isn't.

ok.. whatever.

Advertisement