Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everybody can come into our liberal paradise - just don't go to their countries!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

orourkeda wrote: »
    but of course...
    "Dubai is the most relaxed of the Arab Gulf states but authorities still crack down on people accused of pushing the limits."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

bonerm wrote: »
    They look like a couple of posers.

On the plus side however the fella will be able to point out the laws against kissing when he gets his first approaching admirer in prison.

Never thought of that. At least his pipes wont be cleaned while he's there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Confab wrote: »
    What's the problem? Their country, their laws.
    I'll start obeying their laws when they stop bombing train stations. Durka durka's the lot of them.*

Post may be seen as slightly racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I'd make it a law here too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Maturbation is probably given the death penalty

Do they not cut off your hand? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

FearDark wrote: »
    I'll start obeying their laws when they stop bombing train stations. Durka durka's the lot of them.*

Post may be seen as slightly racist.

It's the UAE, not Afghanistan or Pakistan. Geography not your strongpoint? :D
    Originally Posted by Diabhal Beag
    Do they not cut off your hand?

Same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

People have the choice not to go there, if they choose to go and break the laws then it's their own problem

Personally I wouldn't go there, because it's a fcuked up and backwards kip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

People have the choice not to go there, if they choose to go and break the laws then it's their own problem

And I suppose you think the Middle East is one big country too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Do they not cut off your hand? :eek:
    That's for theft.
    Probably if you're whacking off some other bloke, stealing his seed...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No, why would I think that? Are you insinuating that the UAE is a progressive, tolerant and secular place, with your sarcasm? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Won't have a choice soon enough if they're allowed to keep getting their way.

Ireland is already catering to them like the ****tards we generally make ourselves out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭spudmonkey17

FearDark wrote: »
    Post may be seen as slightly ignorant

FYP:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭sean0

http://blogs.news.sky.com/foreignmatters/Post:ec27696f-6cb4-403a-bd9e-0e8d9dcb392e

Guy might get his head cut off because of his witchcraft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

People complain about the dominance of religion here, good friday etc. . . .

But it seems fairly mild compared to being arrested for drinking alcohol or kissing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

OutlawPete wrote: »
    but we have to be able to express our disgust at human rights issues.

We should get a few Boardsies and Boardsettes together and organise a kissing protest outside the UAE embassy.
    Let's show them how we really feel about this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    We should get a few Boardsies and Boardsettes together and organise a kissing protest outside the UAE embassy.
    Let's show them how we really feel about this issue.

The nearest one is in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

The nearest one is in London.
    There is one in Dublin. D4 somewhere.

D2, sorry.

EMBASSY OF THE UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
    Dunganon Suite (214), The Merrion Hotel, Upper Merrion Street, Dublin 2

muslim people expect people from the Western world to adapt to their culture which we mostly do, when we go over to Eastern Islamic countries, most of us respect their "religious laws" however alot of them don't show the same respect towards people with a Christian faith.We tolerate Muslims trying to convert us to their religion on our streets, at our front door etc... but if we went to Saudi Arabia and set up a stall telling people to join the Christian religion we would probably be given a jail sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

No they give you a fate worse than death, they cut off your hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

People complain about the dominance of religion here, good friday etc. . . .

But it seems fairly mild compared to being arrested for drinking alcohol or kissing!!!

Imagine they brought that law in here, the population would plummet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

sean0 wrote: »
    muslim people expect people from the Western world to adapt to their culture which we mostly do, when we go over to Eastern Islamic countries, most of us respect their "religious laws" however alot of them don't show the same respect towards people with a Christian faith.We tolerate Muslims trying to convert us to their religion on our streets, at our front door etc... but if we went to Saudi Arabia and set up a stall telling people to join the Christian religion we would probably be given a jail sentence.

Why does someone's faith even deserve respect from anyone, foreign or Irish, in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Why does someone's faith even deserve respect from anyone, foreign or Irish, in the first place?
    It doesn't deserve it. It is a matter of courtesy and tolerance that you show respect to someone religious convictions, even if you don't share those (or any) convictions. But no one had any moral authority to demand that their religious convictions be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There is a common link here, people want to be treated the same as others.

Here, Muslims want to be treated the same as others, there, we get treated the same as others.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It deserves respect because if you don't show respect towards someones values, religious beliefs etc.. it will just cause conflict and its the decent thing to do.Just its double standards when it comes to religion alot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The Aussie wrote: »
    Yeh, sorry there champ but i dont agree with your actions at all, I know they stick together in a anti-assimilation way, but i hate to break it to you its no different to the way Aussies go to london and hang around together or Paddys in Sydney, if you look past the cultural differences that is.

Although I do love it when the high and mighty Boards brigade start on about the treatment of Aboriginals in Australia, i think straight away about the treatment of members of the Traveling Community by the Irish public and think hypocrites.

Except it's not analogous at all, the Aboriginals were there first, then Europeans came over and took their land and continues to treat them badly. Travellers can hardly be considered more "native Irish" than the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

We tolerate Muslims trying to convert us to their religion on our streets, at our front door etc... but if we went to Saudi Arabia and set up a stall telling people to join the Christian religion we would probably be given a jail sentence.

Jeeeeze who cares. Muslims will try to convert you, Christians will try to convert you. Personally I have never had a Muslim come to my door for that reason, I doubt anyone here has either, like come on people, be honest here! Can you actually recall one situation where a Muslim has had any kind of negative impact on your day to day life? I sincerely doubt it, and do you know what, I could put money on that! On another note, when people speak of 'Muslims' - who exactly are you referring to? Any particular nationality? There are as many branches of Islam as there are of Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

lugha wrote: »
    It doesn't deserve it. It is a matter of courtesy and tolerance that you show respect to someone religious convictions, even if you don't share those (or any) convictions. But no one had any moral authority to demand that their religious convictions be respected.

For the record I generally am pretty tolerant of religious beliefs. It's just that I often hear people moan about Muslims not respecting Christian traditions. But a lot of these same people don't seem to mind atheists who mock their beliefs. The point is that the whole "respect our culture" crap is only applied to certain groups of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

darkman2 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0404/dubai.html

Why are we tolerating the intolerant? Muslims can come here and do what they like in our fluffy and liberal country yet go to one of their countries and they are not so liberal. Meanwhile we put up with not only having to fork out dole and support but to listen to the protests against "the west" (presumably us aswell). Really if they have a problem or don't like it or us why don't they f*ck off home? They would clearly be more comfortable? This is a much bigger problem in Britain then here and sparks have been flying there for years. Sadly we learn nothing in this country because we are stupid and doomed to repeat the same mistakes. We are tolerating the intolerant, an intolerant religous fanatacism.

Who pissed in your corn flakes???? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Sorry are you thick? Obviously,in the continent of Europe.

Advertisement