Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ DTT Tests: Mullaghanish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    plugged in some rabbit ears for my TV today just to see if i can pick anything up ...

Signals came in at 98%

On RTE 1 and RTE2 just get a message on screen saying 'loading Text' no picture on TV3 or TG4..

Got the EPG aswell

Radio, getting sound on all ok ...

This is on my LG 42LF6 DTV ready TV

I've just noticed your model number now. I think this is an older model which may not have mpeg4, and if this is the case, you won't have any pictures with Irish DTT anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

That would be typical 42LF66.... has all the badges on it TNT, DVB etc etc .. but you could be right. May have to look at a seperate box then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

blank screen's on all channels from spur hill and mulla.
    Signal strength is still excellent though.
    EPG is also blank.

I hope it comes back on soon

all back on spur and mulla
    Tg4 is now a test card
    Rte news is now full screen.

The encryption flag is now gone from all channels (previously a chequered box in the info bar on my sony tv)
    This encryption symbol had been there for the past year, ie.. Since i got the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dunleas

pa990 wrote: »
    all back on spur and mulla
    Tg4 is now a test card
    Rte news is now full screen.

The encryption flag is now gone from all channels (previously a chequered box in the info bar on my sony tv)
    This encryption symbol had been there for the past year, ie.. Since i got the tv

No RTE news now its actually RTE1 repeated

• Advertisement

dunleas wrote: »
    No RTE news now its actually RTE1 repeated

Ok.. I just tuned in and the news was on.. Presumed it had gone full screen.
    Ah well.. RTE NEWS was a very handy service.. Hope it returns (along with someother new tv services)

rte news back on the air

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glog

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I'm in Crosshaven. No sign of DTT yet - I will put up a note as soon as I see anything.
    The reason they can't get TV3 is that TV3 never paid for installation of the fill-in transmitters in places like Crosshaven - they just went with the 95% of the population that were covered by the main RTE sites and tough titty on the rest of us. Some people in Crosser can get TV3 by aiming a specific antenna for TV3 up the river (ie west) but it's quite iffy. I can get it upstairs (sometimes) on a rabbits ears, but not downstairs.

Anyway - DTT will solve their problem. All the multiplex is transmitted on the same carrier so if we get RTE1 we'll get 2, TV3, TG4 and RTE News channels.

Are they getting their signal from the Crosshaven transmitter at present? If so they should have absolutely no problem and get a perfectly clear noise-free picture from all 5 channels.

db

Finally got around to getting into my attic to fool around with my DTT STB and aerial (Crosshaven area)
    Using a 10 element W/B aerial i picked up a number of Mux's the strongest being CH34.
    I have sifted through a lot of this and other forums but cannot determine where this signal is coming from ?
    I thought initially it would have to be Mullaghanish but it doesn't appear to be.
    Any ideas anyone ?

On a slightly differnt note can anyone tell me the channel numbers or freqs which South Coast are transmitting at from Camden ?

Thianks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Antenna

glog wrote: »
    can anyone tell me the channel numbers or freqs which South Coast are transmitting at from Camden ?

SCTV UHF deflector - Camden, Crosshaven

Ch22 - BBC2
    Ch26 - ITV
    Ch32 - C4
    Ch35 - BBC1
    vertical polarisation

This was accurate a few months ago, I assume still is. 2 of these 4 were moved early last year due to DTT tests , 22 was previously 21, and 35 was previously 28

Antenna wrote: »
    SCTV UHF - Camden, Crosshaven

Ch22 - BBC2
    Ch26 - ITV
    Ch32 - C4
    Ch35 - BBC1
    vertical polarisation

This was accurate a few months ago, I assume still is

Thanks Antenna - I'll check them out.

The DTT at CH34 is still confusing me though :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Finally got around to getting into my attic to fool around with my DTT STB and aerial (Crosshaven area)
    Using a 10 element W/B aerial i picked up a number of Mux's the strongest being CH34.
    I have sifted through a lot of this and other forums but cannot determine where this signal is coming from ?
    I thought initially it would have to be Mullaghanish but it doesn't appear to be.
    Any ideas anyone ?
    Thanks Antenna - I'll check them out.

The DTT at CH34 is still confusing me though :confused:

Possibly your own local relay. Channel 34 is planned for Crosshaven, also Three Rock and Mt Leinster at RRC06. I doubt you are receiving the latter two.

The frequency plan for Crosshaven at RRC06 was
    Digital: 34, 40, 42, 43, 46, 50, 52, 56
    Analogue: 55, 59, 65, 62 (TV3 not operating)

In 2007 Comreg issued a list of Main and Relay sites and their initial four muxes, Crosshaven was on the list of relays with the following channels 45, 49, 66, 68. In 2008 the BCI Guide to Submissions listed the Crosshaven relay as follows 45 (RTÉ Mux), 66 (Mux A), 42 (Mux B), 49 (Mux C). With Ch. 61-69 being replanned for the Digital Dividend the latter two lists may be out of date.

You said you were picking up other muxes, which ones? Is Ch. 34 carrying TV channels or just an empty carrier?

Thanks for the info The Cush
    CH34 (vertical) is carrying all TV channels (RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4, RTE News) and all Radio Stations.
    It is a good strong signal.
    I can also get weaker signal at CH21 (Mullaghanish i presume) and CH62 (??)

Thanks for the info The Cush
    CH34 (vertical) is carrying all TV channels (RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4, RTE News) and all Radio Stations.
    It is a good strong signal.
    I can also get weaker signal at CH21 (Mullaghanish i presume) and CH62 (??)

Good to see the relays being rolled out.

Yes Ch. 21 is Mullaghanish.

Ch. 62 at Crosshaven is the unused TV3 frequency, are they testing on it?

Ch. 62 is also allocated to Castletownbere, Clonmel and Dungarvan in the the Munster region.

The Cush wrote: »
    Good to see the relays being rolled out.

Yes Ch. 21 is Mullaghanish.

Ch. 62 at Crosshaven is the unused TV3 frequency, are they testing on it?

Ch. 62 is also allocated to Castletownbere, Clonmel and Dungarvan in the the Munster region.

I think the signal I am seeing at CH62 is probably Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Getting a good signal indoors in Crosshaven on ch 34 (578MHz) on my laptop with a short stubby aerial. RTE 1, 2 and TG4 but RTE NL testcard only on TV3. Tried tuning but nothing else turns up. Pretty sure it must be the Crosshaven Tx up at Goat's Cross. I'll try to nip up there tomorrow to confirm it. There was nothing at all on that same setup a week ago.

My software (VLC) is reporting lots of other video, subtitle and audio streams - unfortunately I can't copy the info to ask what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I can't copy the info to ask what it means.

print screen button. then past it into word or paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

John mac wrote: »
    print screen button. then past it into word or paint.
    Thanks - but this ends up as a screen image rather than editable text - I'd be posting up 10 or more screens! I'm going to have a play with some other media control software (MediaPortal and ProgDVB) so let's see what access these will give.

Is it just me or is it down today everywhere?

dunleas wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it down today everywhere?

No problem here (Mullaghanish & Woodcock Hill), must be you.

all back now think my mvision is acting up-thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Mitchelstown Relay DTT UP AND RUNNING ?

I have been getting DTT perfect on CH21 from Mullaghanish since the tests started, but I did a scan today and now I'm also getting a perfect 10 out of 10 DTT signal on CH40 also. The only place I have an aerial pointing to other than Mullaghanish, is to the Mitchelstown local relay for analogue. Does anybody know the allocated DTT frequencies for Mitchelstown ? and if it's not from there, where is DTT on CH40 coming from ?

dunno.. Spur hill is ch45.
    Mulla is ch21.

I'm sure someone will post soon with info on where ch 40 is coming from

galtee boy wrote: »
    Mitchelstown Relay DTT UP AND RUNNING ?

I have been getting DTT perfect on CH21 from Mullaghanish since the tests started, but I did a scan today and now I'm also getting a perfect 10 out of 10 DTT signal on CH40 also. The only place I have an aerial pointing to other than Mullaghanish, is to the Mitchelstown local relay for analogue. Does anybody know the allocated DTT frequencies for Mitchelstown ? and if it's not from there, where is DTT on CH40 coming from ?

Appears to be Mitchelstown all right. Ch 40 together with Chs 43, 46, 50 are planned for DTT at Mitchelstown in addition to the existing analogue allocations 41, 44, 51 and the unused TV3 allocation 47.

Ch 40 is also planned for DTT at Crosshaven and Mt Gabriel in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Appears to be Mitchelstown all right. Ch 40 together with Chs 43, 46, 50 are planned for DTT at Mitchelstown in addition to the existing analogue allocations 41, 44, 51 and the unused TV3 allocation 47.

:) Where I am, I wouldn't have a hope of picking up either Crosshaven or Mt.Gabriel, so it's definitely Mitchelstown alright.
    It must be full steam ahead for that October 2010 launch, when the relay for a relatively small town like Mitchelstown is powered up for DTT already. Well done RTE NL, starting to get spoiled for choice of DTT signal sources now !
    I wonder are there other relays for smaller towns powered up already, but nobody has noticed yet ?
    Thanks for the channel number info Cush.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Bandon relay doesn't seem to be although we had an outage for a day last week so maybe on the cards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've found it next to impossible to get a copy of all the allocations for transmitters under RRC-06, in particular the Digital allocations. Where are you getting the information from? It would be handy for me to have a look at that info.

I've found it next to impossible to get a copy of all the allocations for transmitters under RRC-06, in particular the Digital allocations. Where are you getting the information from? It would be handy for me to have a look at that info.

IRL RRC-06 digital assignments and allotments attached. Previously downloaded from the ITU website - password protected these days.

Planning software from RRC-06 is still available from the ITU website (large file) should have all the data within.

tv is stalling on ch 66 & 68 when tuning in on spur hill.
    I wonder is something there without a network id table or is tetra using there freq's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Antenna

pa990 wrote: »
    tv is stalling on ch 66 & 68 when tuning in on spur hill.
    I wonder is something there without a network id table or is tetra using there freq's ?

They are 'Blank DTT MUXs' from Spur Hill along with another one on 49 too on in recent days. All in addition to the RTE Mux on 45.

They were testing the 49,66,68 again for periods of time recently (don't think they had been on for a long time), though I think switch them off after 6PM approx

I heard someone who receives a deflector retransmisson of BBC on an adjacent channel to one of these 'blank MUXes' (Spur Hill DTT very strong at the location) say reception of it was 'very snowy' yesterday afternoon, but was OK again after about 6PM yesterday!

• Advertisement

Antenna wrote: »
    They are 'Blank DTT MUXs' from Spur Hill along with another one on 49 too on in recent days. All in addition to the RTE Mux on 45.

They were testing the 49,66,68 again for periods of time recently (don't think they had been on for a long time), though I think switch them off after 6PM approx

I heard someone who receives a deflector retransmisson of BBC on an adjacent channel to one of these 'blank MUXes' (Spur Hill DTT very strong at the location) say reception of it was 'very snowy' yesterday afternoon, but was OK again after about 6PM yesterday!

Cool.. Thanks

I thought anything over ch60 was off limits, due to reallocation of freq for mobile's etc

Advertisement