Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Game Awards 2009 - Results and Discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

tman wrote: »
    Maya Fey for hottest character of the decade was a little worrying tbh...
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wiki says she's 17. Won't even have to do time :P

I think tman must of meant lolicon. 17 years old... come on, you know in anime anyone whos 17 is drawn like a 12 year old :pac:

There's also that image floating about of you dressed as a Japanese schoolgirl :D

In all seriousness though, Demon Souls doesn't even get 1 mention. Damn shame, damn damn shame. My personal best game of the year and in my top 5 for games of the decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's not a mainstream release. You have to import it. If Demon's Souls was released in the shops here, it would have swept the board (and I'm sure people would have found a loophole to get it nominated for Sports and Racing games too).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Demon's Souls was far and away game of the year for me too and well in my top ten of the decade. I'm disappointed it didn't sneak away with even a small award.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭rizzla

Demon's Souls was far and away game of the year for me too and well in my top ten of the decade. I'm disappointed it didn't sneak away with even a small award.

You'll probably get your chance again next year to pimp it, when it gets it's PAL release. Assuming it does. Doubt it will beat ME 2 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Endless Setlist in Rockband should count as a boss battle !! 53 songs in 1 session i think it is.

Took me and my mate about 8-10 hours + 2 Bottles of Vodka (11pm-8amish) to complete.

Lmao get rock band 2 my friend , then do that playing endless setlist 2 for the bladder of steal achievement on expert (no pausing or hitting guide button or failing , 84 songs in 1 sitting) pampers optional but recommended :D

I tried for it recently but gave up on the bladder cheevo after 2 hours and paused for comfort, came back and played over the space of a day, but sure didn't i forget about a song called visions, 2 songs from the end :mad: could only make it 10 seconds in before failing out. Agree this should count as the boss battles of all boss battles, theres no luck involved just skill , which i lack it seems :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

rizzla wrote: »
    You'll probably get your chance again next year to pimp it, when it gets it's PAL release. Assuming it does. Doubt it will beat ME 2 though.

It's looking extremely unlikely there'll be a PAL release.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

calex71 wrote: »
    Lmao get rock band 2 my friend , then do that playing endless setlist 2 for the bladder of steal achievement on expert (no pausing or hitting guide button or failing , 84 songs in 1 sitting) pampers optional but recommended :D

I tried for it recently but gave up on the bladder cheevo after 2 hours and paused for comfort, came back and played over the space of a day, but sure didn't i forget about a song called visions, 2 songs from the end :mad: could only make it 10 seconds in before failing out. Agree this should count as the boss battles of all boss battles, theres no luck involved just skill , which i lack it seems :(

Yeah, have RB2, but some of the songs seemed the way of Guitar Hero (noise and screams making a crap song for the sake of giving it some difficulty), whereas you enjoy the songs on RB1 :):D ...and although I like achievements, I'm not such a whore as to want to do 83 songs without at least a piss break for one :P :P We'd need at least 2 bottles of vodka and a bottle of Southern Comfort to do that !! :D:)
    You were probably doing it on expert, we did the RB1 one on HARD as we couldnt face doing Run to the Hills on expert after 8 hours :P ...planning ye see

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ah pity i forgot about these votes

How the hell did Scarecrow win boss of the decade! Where can i find the nominees for this award? The end should have got it imo but i'd like to see cause really the scarecrow shouldn't be anywhere near that award.

SOTC really should have won best soundtrack too.

Pretty much agree with Retro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

perhaps "Nominations" threads should be changed to "Suggestions" and a handful of mods should be able to decide themselves what games should be voted on.

I'm not being sarcastic; some people here plays games here far more than I have time for and although I would consider 1 of the 3 games a year I play to be amazing, I know that people that play more games are able to make better judgement calls than I.

Resident Evil 4 should have been Game of the Decade!

perhaps "Nominations" threads should be changed to "Suggestions" and a handful of mods should be able to decide themselves what games should be voted on.

I need to give it some more thought, but my first reaction is that I love that idea, James.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

its the end of Democracy as we know it :o

Ah I don't think so. But there are issues with James' suggestion now that I think about it.
    Even if we had put something like Demon's Souls in some of the categories, it still would have lost out (because only 4 people have played it) :)

I like the idea of an awards committee though...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Mr E wrote: »
    Ah I don't think so. But there are issues with James' suggestion now that I think about it.
    Even if we had put something like Demon's Souls in some of the categories, it still would have lost out (because only 4 people have played it) :)

I like the idea of an awards committee though...

I agree with the idea of an awards committee, but the whole issue of biased opinions would be an issue. Unles you assigned something like 3 committee members of each platform, and a majority vote on each suggestion.

Dunno. It makes things fairer, but at the same time complicates things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

and who the f**k says mods know more about games then a lot of the users here?

Chill out, Jazzy. Just thrashing out some ideas for next year. Better to do it now while the current process is still fresh in peoples minds. The committee doesn't have to be just mods.

I think we should keep the public vote. Perhaps we could also have a commitee to pick out games of the year in categories and try and agree on them as a seperate thing. Don't order them 1-5 but have say the top 5 RPGs of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I like that idea, might get more people knowlegeable about some less well-marketed titles. I'd have never played demon's souls without reading about it here, so if it won an award maybe even more people would give it a shot. I'm sure there'll be something similar next year as well, ao throwing some games in that aren't widely nomnated would be a good idea, just for variety's sake.

Also scarecrow was great as an experience only a game could deliver, with the coughing that makes you wonder what's going on, then that long corridor. Freaked me out I'll admit. But as a boss battle, pure and simple, it was a bit meh. Based on the build up nothing comes close, but if we're going on just the part where you fight scarecrow directly, not a chance it's the best boss battle of any decade. Maybe next year some clarity about what we should take into consideration for each category would improve the result. Or at least justify it.

Fair play to everyone who worked on it though, it was the damn public who messed up!

I think we should keep the public vote. Perhaps we could also have a commitee to pick out games of the year in categories and try and agree on them as a seperate thing. Don't order them 1-5 but have say the top 5 RPGs of the year.

I like that idea actually, sounds fair

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The problem is people play the games which get the most market exposure
    Dumb Modern Shooter 5
    Generic Interactive Film 2
    Iteration updated roster Soccer 2011
    Sandbox Criminal, Sh1thole City
    The Best Part was when the Car exploded Racer

Are these games the best of the year? Sometimes they are but often not. They are the best sellers though and people can only vote based on what they have played.

Look at Demon Souls, how can people here vote in any great numbers for it when it didn't even get a PAL release. How can its lack of awards come as a disappointment or surprise to anyone?

My biggest gripe is to see titles like Uncharted 2 win awards, bar its production qualities it is the complete opposite direction I wish games were going. It's a 10 hour throw away game.

I never said anythng against a public vote, certainly keep that or else whats the point?

I just mean for deciding what games should be voted on. If a group decide that the top 5 games of the decade should be voted on and choose 4 really good games and Halo 3, and then Halo 3 wins by more votes, fair enough but at least the right games were nominated.

(continues to scramble to put worms back into the can)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

If you want committee awards go to almost any videogame website. The boardsie ones should be based on popular opinion...even if they are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Vegeta wrote: »
    The Best Part was when the Car exploded Racer

That should have won.

Crucifix wrote: »
    If you want committee awards go to almost any videogame website. The boardsie ones should be based on popular opinion...even if they are wrong

yeah but popular opinion released Barabbas...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,320 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jazzy wrote: »

Absolutely, silly silly idea.
    Crucifix wrote: »

Again exactly, christ what would be the point?

I never said anythng against a public vote, certainly keep that or else whats the point?

You see if we do that we'll get accused of favouritism and 'fight the powah!' posts. Public vote usually isn't right but it is the fairest.
    Crucifix wrote:
    If you want committee awards go to almost any videogame website.

Another good point. I mean what right have the mods or selected users to say that that they are experts in gaming. Mods are just regular users trusted by the admins not to abuse powers to make sure the forums are run smoothly.

Jazzy wrote: »

Nobody said that. read the post again

• Registered Users Posts: 26,320 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Where did this bad name I'm getting come from? :(

.Pshhh

I think a Mod's choice awards thing would be nice IN ADDITION to the main awards. Would give all the Fifa and COD players the opportunity (if they so please) to broaden their horizons.

I thought Bioshock was as deserving Storywise as SH2 tbh (but you RUINED that for me).

I think Demons Souls got less interesting the more I played it.

i like the current format anyhow. not sure if it really needs changing tbh. sure stuf i want to win doesnt but thats public opinion and whatnot. if it aint broke, dont fix it :pac:

You see if we do that we'll get accused of favouritism and 'fight the powah!' posts. Public vote usually isn't right but it is the fairest.

Another good point. I mean what right have the mods or selected users to say that that they are experts in gaming. Mods are just regular users trusted by the admins not to abuse powers to make sure the forums are run smoothly.

Holy **** I better re-enter a more PC version of what I actually said:

perhaps "Nominations" threads should be changed to "Suggestions" and a handful of mods (or boards elected people who are recognised by the boards communitee as knowledgeable in the area of video/ electronic gaming) should be able to decide themselves what games should be voted on (after being trusted to analyze the nominations/ suggestions thread and keeping in mind that popular opinion does indeed count when creating shortlists of games that will be voted on, whereupon the winner chosen will be done so by the popular vote of boards.ie members).

I'm not being sarcastic; some people here plays games here far more than I have time for and although I would consider 1 of the 3 games a year I play to be amazing, I know that people that play more games are able to make better judgement calls than I.

I think the most important word here was "perhaps" which implies it was only a suggestion that was not yet completely formed/ intended to be set in stone.

Point in case someone mentioned earlier that Rock Band's endless set-list should have been counted as a Boss Battle. This thought never crossed my mind but the moment I heard about it I completely agreed.

Agh.

• Advertisement

Point in case someone mentioned earlier that Rock Band's endless set-list should have been counted as a Boss Battle. This thought never crossed my mind but the moment I heard about it I completely agreed.

jesus. right, if thats whats going on I want mods deciding what goes in. at least they know wtf a boss is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement