Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Game Awards 2009 - Results and Discussion **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it doesn't have a glowing weak point it's not a boss :P

Anyway Jazzy you know nothing about games. You're still afraid to face me at street fighter :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

he doesn't like the new battlestar galactica either, screw him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Jazzy wrote: »
    jesus. right, if thats whats going on I want mods deciding what goes in. at least they know wtf a boss is

so you don't consider it a boss battle?:confused:
    if so, why not?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jazzy just hates everything Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

so you don't consider it a boss battle?:confused:
    if so, why not?

Well, isn't it just a giant quick time event? With no other elements involved. Fairly repetitve and long if you ask me. That doesn't make it a great boss battle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Mr E wrote: »
    I need to give it some more thought, but my first reaction is that I love that idea, James.

It's a very very bad idea. If you have this then the biased committee will have their games in the awards, it's extremely hard to impliment and it's going to cause more problems than already is.

This awards is about what you think, not about what 4 people think and then voting on that. Nor is it about someone reading an awesome review of a game and thinking it's great based on the review.
    Ah I don't think so. But there are issues with James' suggestion now that I think about it.
    Even if we had put something like Demon's Souls in some of the categories, it still would have lost out (because only 4 people have played it) :)

I like the idea of an awards committee though...

That's the point of this, it's very democratic. Not everyone here is going to be playing every game out there, we all have differant tastes, likes and dislikes. You put 4 people on a committee and that goes out the window, they will nominate their favourites, and not that of the whole group.
    and who the f**k says mods know more about games then a lot of the users here?

They may or may not. That's not the reason they are mods.
    Vegeta wrote: »
    The problem is people play the games which get the most market exposure
    Dumb Modern Shooter 5
    Generic Interactive Film 2
    Iteration updated roster Soccer 2011
    Sandbox Criminal, Sh1thole City
    The Best Part was when the Car exploded Racer

Are these games the best of the year? Sometimes they are but often not. They are the best sellers though and people can only vote based on what they have played.

If they are voted best games of the year, then they are the best games of the year, regardless of what you may think. This awards is exclusive to boards.ie members, not the global gaming community ffs. We are asked, what are our favourite games, and although our nominations may not reflect the best game of the year in terms of, design, gameplay, physics, sound etc etc. The thing is, this is my opinion on what is the best game.

If you want to reflect the true results, then scrap this award system and just post a link to a perstigeous group like IGN or something.
    Look at Demon Souls, how can people here vote in any great numbers for it when it didn't even get a PAL release. How can its lack of awards come as a disappointment or surprise to anyone?

That's the point, it's this communities reflection, be it completely off in your opinion or not. If people don't play the game it's not going to be nominated, regardless of how great it is. I don't think you or anybody else should have the ability to put that game in especially when a tiny percentage of this community have played it. How the hell can it win anything if nobody played the poxy game?
    My biggest gripe is to see titles like Uncharted 2 win awards, bar its production qualities it is the complete opposite direction I wish games were going. It's a 10 hour throw away game.

You are not the game rewards, but one opinion, which is great. People like you would make a balls of it all if you were asked to put on a community. Why? Well it doesn't reflect this communities true opinion, but that of 3 or 4 biased people.

There are games that are pretty crap and still won, yet this is a good thing, because it reflects our opinions.

I hope everyone is getting the message here, because I have repeated myself about 15 times since the beginning of this saga. Yet, people still whinge and moan about it.
    I never said anythng against a public vote, certainly keep that or else whats the point?

I just mean for deciding what games should be voted on.

Then what is the point of this? If you are limiting me to a few games, that I might hate, what the fcuk is the point in asking me for my opinion on it? It's a terribly bad idea. Sorry.
    If a group decide that the top 5 games of the decade should be voted on and choose 4 really good games and Halo 3, and then Halo 3 wins by more votes, fair enough but at least the right games were nominated.

The right games? WTF? The right games nominated by a tiny representation of this forum. The right games according to who? 3 or 4 fools? I don't think so. What this action does is deny people the ability to vote for THEIR favourite games and instead they vote on the favourite games other people chose...

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You see if we do that we'll get accused of favouritism

Surely would, and rightly so.
    and 'fight the powah!' posts. Public vote usually isn't right but it is the fairest.

One thing I hate about boards is this bullcrap. A mod suggests something, a normal user debates against it, and automatically it is seen as an attack on the mod and his authority... It's not, it's a simple post like any other, so mods, do please get down off your high horses, nobody really gives a damn that you are mods or not. The ideas and the likes are the problems, not the person behind the idea.

Another good point. I mean what right have the mods or selected users to say that that they are experts in gaming. Mods are just regular users trusted by the admins not to abuse powers to make sure the forums are run smoothly.

No right, nobody has the right to tell me that I can only vote on these 5 committee selected games...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OK next year we should definitely have the 'Annual boards.ie Game Awards' and an alternative 'Annual boards.ie Vote for Demon's Souls or get banned Awards'. In the first anyone can vote for what they want. In the second, if you do not vote Demon's Souls as, for example, DS Racing Game of the Year you receive an instant banning and a PM from a random mod mocking you mercilessly.

Everyone wins (except anything that isn't Demon's Souls).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

he doesn't like the new battlestar galactica either, screw him

Who doesn't? What kind of HEATEN doesn't like the absolute brilliance that is the reimagined BSG?

I will literally kill anybody who says anything frakkin bad about it.

One thing I hate about boards is this bullcrap. A mod suggests something, a normal user debates against it, and automatically it is seen as an attack on the mod and his authority... It's not, it's a simple post like any other, so mods, do please get down off your high horses, nobody really gives a damn that you are mods or not. The ideas and the likes are the problems, not the person behind the idea.

We are just throwing out ideas here to be debated, no need to go off on a rant about mods. If you read my posts you will see that I'm actually agreeing with you second class citizens/peons/non-mods.

It's also a discussion forum, it would be rather boring if we couldn't discuss what we thought of the topics brought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OK, unpopular committee idea out the window.
    Any other thoughts on improving it for next year?

(apart from a quicker turnaround...) :p

• Advertisement

More hottest character categories.

quoted stuff in here:

That's the point of this, it's very democratic. Not everyone here is going to be playing every game out there, we all have differant tastes, likes and dislikes. You put 4 people on a committee and that goes out the window, they will nominate their favourites, and not that of the whole group.

don't recall anyone suggesting this...

That's not the reason they are mods.

never said it was...

If they are voted best games of the year, then they are the best games of the year, regardless of what you may think.

I never disagreed with this.

This awards is exclusive to boards.ie members, not the global gaming community ffs.

Take a chill pill.

You are not the game rewards, but one opinion, which is great. People like you would make a balls of it all if you were asked to put on a community. Why? Well it doesn't reflect this communities true opinion, but that of 3 or 4 biased people.

never said i was anything but that.
    and you are but one opinion too.

I hope everyone is getting the message here, because I have repeated myself about 15 times since the beginning of this saga. Yet, people still whinge and moan about it.

Seriously? you clearly do not get my message then. you appear to be taking what i was suggesting very personally and rather than offer constructive criticism, you prefer to make a very angry attack.
    re-read what i posted and think about it.

Then what is the point of this? If you are limiting me to a few games, that I might hate, what the fcuk is the point in asking me for my opinion on it? It's a terribly bad idea. Sorry.

the awards were limited to a few games when we went to vote already. your giving about about something that is already in place here.

like this is an attack on my simple post? get off your own high horse dude.

No right, nobody has the right to tell me that I can only vote on these 5 committee selected games...

you only voted on 5 games per section anyway.

can't we all just get along?
    i look forward to sharing ammo with you guys in left for dead eh?

on a serious note i didn't mean to offend anyone with my suggestion but hasn't this gotten out of hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

More hottest character categories.

OK, under 12s and over 12s. Got it. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OK, under 12s and over 12s. Got it. :)

Nanako ftw :pac
    May be able to get someone featured on an episode of To Catch a Predator if we introduce that award.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mrm

Keep the 'populist' awards as this is a public forum.

And run a parallel 'alternative' awards, with games nominated by mods (and maybe some other select invited individuals) with an open discussion for the choice of nominations. Can't see too many voting in this section though, due to (by its nature) its lack of mainstream appeal. It would be good to have games recommended and promoted by the doyens of gaming (if only to keep these individuals quiet and to avoid every second game thread being hijacked by persona blah valkyria blah):D. Maybe within this somebody could articulate actually how difficult Demons Souls is to allow the masses to decide if it was worth the risk of their valued cash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Jazzy just hates everything Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

gaytar hero.
    no lans coming up is there? shame :( ill have to find another way to punish retr0. got a starcraft 2 beta key yet? :p
    so you don't consider it a boss battle?
    if so, why not?

gaytar hero has no bosses in the game. go play super metroid, metroid prime, viewtiful joe and secret level 32 of doom 2. until you have done this, your opinions on bosses and what they are is irrelevant. sorry, but that is pretty much the truth. i know you reeeeaaaallllyyyy super like rythym games, but they have no bosses. heck, they are barely real games. they are music simulators.

oh yeah, and the new battlestar galactica is massively over rated. its like 24 in space with robots and shaky cameras that add 'suspense'

Could we have a biggest bellend award next year? Although it will probably be won by Peter Molyneaux.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Definitely think resident evil 4 should have got game of the decade. Suppose gta has a far bigger audience though.
    Any chance of renaming the xbox awards for next year to the mass effects? Just so there's no confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

Could we have a biggest bellend award next year? Although it will probably be won by Peter Molyneaux.

I don't know, Bobby Kotick is a bit of a tw@.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mrm

I assume you are using the royal 'we' there. Then I second the motion.:D

• Advertisement

quoted stuff in here:

don't recall anyone suggesting this...

That's not the reason they are mods.

never said it was...

If they are voted best games of the year, then they are the best games of the year, regardless of what you may think.

I never disagreed with this.

This awards is exclusive to boards.ie members, not the global gaming community ffs.

Take a chill pill.

never said i was anything but that.
    and you are but one opinion too.

Seriously? you clearly do not get my message then. you appear to be taking what i was suggesting very personally and rather than offer constructive criticism, you prefer to make a very angry attack.
    re-read what i posted and think about it.

the awards were limited to a few games when we went to vote already. your giving about about something that is already in place here.

like this is an attack on my simple post? get off your own high horse dude.

you only voted on 5 games per section anyway.

can't we all just get along?
    i look forward to sharing ammo with you guys in left for dead eh?

on a serious note i didn't mean to offend anyone with my suggestion but hasn't this gotten out of hand?

It seems you are the one taking it personal that I completely disagreed with your idea.

"Like this is an attack on my simple post"

No it's not, it's pointing out the countless flaws your idea has. It wasn't a good one, but don't stop them comming, if it's not going to work, expect a lot of criticism over it ;)

"the awards were limited to a few games when we went to vote already. your giving about about something that is already in place here."

Who nominated those games? It wasn't the committee, which is the whole point. It was the community here in this forum. That is the very thing I am defending.

4 was a random number, it wasn't suggested that 4 people should be on the committee, but having a large number on it would be chaos too. Either way, it would never reflect the community as a whole.

Is there anything anybody really had a problem with? Apart from certain games winning certain awards that obviously shouldn't have. Nothing we can do about that at all.

No but you seem to think that people do have a problem with it when it was only discussion of it.

Nice one Retro, glad somebody finally came to my aid.
    gaytar hero has no bosses in the game. go play super metroid, metroid prime, viewtiful joe and secret level 32 of doom 2. until you have done this, your opinions on bosses and what they are is irrelevant. sorry, but that is pretty much the truth. i know you reeeeaaaallllyyyy super like rythym games, but they have no bosses. heck, they are barely real games. they are music simulators.
    Jazzy I like Guitar Hero, you don't, no problems with that.
    I haven't played the games you mention above but if I ever get a chance I certainly will as they appear to come highly recommended. I kept meaning to play Metroid Prime but can't quite get myself to unplug the 360 and plug in the Wii...

anyway thanks for the discussion

"Like this is an attack on my simple post"

No it's not, it's pointing out the countless flaws your idea has. It wasn't a good one, but don't stop them comming, if it's not going to work, expect a lot of criticism over it ;)

un-uh:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

The guitar hero setlist thing isn't a boss battle because it's just the main game repeated ad infinitum, whereas a boss battle in a different game is a special once off fight against an extra tough enemy. With glowing weak points.

Nothing against the idea of the endless setlist, sounds bloody hard! just wouldn't call it a boss battle. Example: If you played streets of rage, minus each end of level boss, straight through without being able to pause, it wouldn't be called a boss battle, just playing the game under an alternate scenario.

Maybe rephrase best boss battle to 'Most entertainingly challenging part of a game of the year that's in some way different to the main part of the game by a gimmick such as largeness or longness or whatever.'

Everyone's happy. Yaaaay!

Democracy wins, but only when it's carefully worded. That's politics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Racing game of the decade.....Burnout....

I'd rather play any of the Forza or Gran Turismo games with just 1 hand then play Burnout.

implied-facepalm.jpg

Trackmania is a far better game then Burnout .... and it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

If they are voted best games of the year, then they are the best games of the year, regardless of what you may think. This awards is exclusive to boards.ie members, not the global gaming community ffs. We are asked, what are our favourite games, and although our nominations may not reflect the best game of the year in terms of, design, gameplay, physics, sound etc etc. The thing is, this is my opinion on what is the best game.

Way to contradict yourself in a single paragraph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

No... Bobby Kotick!

Vegeta wrote: »
    Way to contradict yourself in a single paragraph

It's not that difficult to understand it, but I see where you might be confused.

Again, for the very last time as I am tired of explaining this to people. I mean, if people can't grasp the simplicities of what I am saying, then there is no hope for you what so ever... I mean, how do you understand real problems? Anwyay...

A game is voted the best game of the year here. That's it, it's our best game of the year, boards.ie, it does not reflect the true game of the year, voted by tens of thousands of people accross the globe.

It's pretty obvious that Uncharted 2 was not the best game to be produced last year, but that is what this community voted to be the best game. Can you understand that? Even in the slightest?

If you find pleasure in taking my posts out of context and then trying to insult me, then please don't. It's a pretty weak attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Contradictions.

Just say U2 wasn't the best game in your opinion, will you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement