Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Game Awards 2009 - Results and Discussion **

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

A game is voted the best game of the year here. That's it, it's our best game of the year, boards.ie, it does not reflect the true game of the year, voted by tens of thousands of people accross the globe.

Very different statement to
    If they are voted best games of the year, then they are the best games of the year, regardless of what you may think.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Folks, I think the steering committee was almost unanimously rejected. Let it go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Racing game of the decade.....Burnout....

I'd rather play any of the Forza or Gran Turismo games with just 1 hand then play Burnout.

implied-facepalm.jpg

Trackmania is a far better game then Burnout .... and it's free.

Maybe burnout got more votes because it appeals to people who aren't really fans of racing games (ie me) I find a game like GT or Forza really frustrating one little mistake and your shagged! I could see how people would like them more, but i definetly have more fun playing burnout.

I didnt vote on that cat as , as i said, i'm not a big fan of the genre

• Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Definitely would have given it to Deus Ex for Game of the Decade...
    As polished as Half Life 2 was Deus Ex even to this day I still play and it's never lost the wow factor for me.
    Also surprised not to see Battlefield 2 and Call of Duty 4 in there as well.
    I can honestly say a lot of the winners surprised me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Maybe burnout got more votes because it appeals to people who aren't really fans of racing games (ie me) I find a game like GT or Forza really frustrating one little mistake and your shagged! I could see how people would like them more, but i definetly have more fun playing burnout.

I didnt vote on that cat as , as i said, i'm not a big fan of the genre

Yup... I nominated Burnout because it never attempts to be anything more than simple arcadey fun. All I want out of my driving games is to be able to drive at breakneck speeds and crash into stuff with spectacular results, not be bogged down with perfect racing lines/tire thread depth/gear ratios/countless other anal features.
    Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy games like Forza and GT, but just get a hell of a lot more enjoyment out of Burnout than either of them.

Different strokes for different folks, but the majority seems to have similar needs to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I think it's unfair to criticise burnout for winning, it's not a driving sim, but it's still a driving game. I don't play games to feel like I'm driving in reality, I play them to do crazy stuff like ramming other cars. It's the first game to know that thats what I want, and did in Gran Turismo anyway. (surprisingly effective till 3 soured me on the series by not letting tha ttactic work. Real cornering... aaarrgghhhh I'm spinning!)

I haven't enjoyed a sim driving game since GT2 on the Ps1, they're just too stressful. Can't handle the one mistake at the start and you win, but do it at the end and you lose thing. Not fun at all, it's just frustrating. I get why people like them, but just because they're your thing doesn't mean we're all into cars/sims, burnout is a great GAME and that's what the award was for, not realism or accurate handling.

If there were were driving games I'd say have 2 categories, because they really are totally different experiences, but there aren't that many anymore really, so it'd be a bit ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Driving simulations bore me. That's why I would pick Burnout over them because it's actually fun unlike Pokemon + Cars - Fun = Gran Turismo. But I didn't pick Burnout. I picked F-zero GX because going at 2000km/h is far more fun than 300km/h

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement