Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What controller should I buy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Yeah have an existing regular mixer alright - why would you say go that route over say the VCI-100?

Had a look at the Xone, certainly is a different price range and this one defo out of my budget! Although I wonder should I save the pennies for a while longer...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/allenheath_xone4d.htm

i just didnt like the look of the vci to be honest. just didnt look like i would like it.

if u have an existing mixer then the 4d would be a waste. its basically just a 4 channel mixer with a 1d and a 2d attached. so buy the 1d and 2d and the audio8dj and bang, you have the equivalent.

for me the appeal of the 1d and the uc33 just blows the rest out of the water

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

copeyhagen wrote: »
    i just didnt like the look of the vci to be honest. just didnt look like i would like it.

if u have an existing mixer then the 4d would be a waste. its basically just a 4 channel mixer with a 1d and a 2d attached. so buy the 1d and 2d and the audio8dj and bang, you have the equivalent.

for me the appeal of the 1d and the uc33 just blows the rest out of the water

That looks like big bucks - so the Xone 2D along with audio 8dj and the uc33? And I'll need Traktor too, that not a lot of money?! What does all that kit give me in terms of setup? Remember now, I'm coming from a set of Technics and a mixer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

had a look at the x1 and wasnt impressed.

Why so? I have it and I love it, think it's a great piece of kit. With shift mode it can do just the same as the 1D, and it comes pre-mapped.
    Yeah have an existing regular mixer alright - why would you say go that route over say the VCI-100?
    In a club it's a lot quicker, and space saving to just come along with a soundcard and a controller, and use their mixer, instead of a whole all-in-one kit. Most of the big digital DJs that aren't using scratch use this kind of a set up.

That'd be the ideal set-up, but also the most expensive one. You could just do with two 1Ds, and use the mixer instead of the mixer on the 2D. Or, just get two X1s, depending on which you prefer, IMO they're on the same par quality wise.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeah,the omni and stealth have soundcards built in.

The Stealth doesnt have a soundcard. Only the Omni Control does.

As for recommending a controller...go for the Omni Control! Its a bloody great piece of kit. I had a Hercules RMX which I ditched because the sound card in it is a pile of ****. Been playing gigs with my Omni Control now for months and I wouldnt change it for the world!

That looks like big bucks - so the Xone 2D along with audio 8dj and the uc33? And I'll need Traktor too, that not a lot of money?! What does all that kit give me in terms of setup? Remember now, I'm coming from a set of Technics and a mixer :D

if you wanna use your analogue mixer then two xone 1ds and the audio 8dj is a nice setup.

im goin for the uc33 cuz i dont wanna use an analogue mixer.
    Why so? I have it and I love it, think it's a great piece of kit. With shift mode it can do just the same as the 1D, and it comes pre-mapped.

thats one of the reasons i didnt / dont go for it, i didnt wanna be usin the same controller as everyone else with the same button layout. i wanted to have it mapped the way i wanted, something different.
    i just dont like the look of the kontrol x1, think the xone1d looks way better

• Advertisement

The sounds of these Xones and audio 8djs and UC33s etc has my feckin head spinning and my wallet getting nervous!

Right I get the need for the two Xones in that they each act like a turntable/controller and operate through the existing mixer. What I don't get is the need for the audio8dj thing - is that not just a soundcard? - does the Xone not have a built-in soundcard? Also, why would I need the uc33 too?

Zascar, might be an option on your VCI if going for the right money...

I can't see me going much further than home with whatever I do, unless of course I get a real bug for it and my wife lets me out some weekends to play :pac:

The sounds of these Xones and audio 8djs and UC33s etc has my feckin head spinning and my wallet getting nervous!

Right I get the need for the two Xones in that they each act like a turntable/controller and operate through the existing mixer. What I don't get is the need for the audio8dj thing - is that not just a soundcard? - does the Xone not have a built-in soundcard? Also, why would I need the uc33 too?

Zascar, might be an option on your VCI if going for the right money...

I can't see me going much further than home with whatever I do, unless of course I get a real bug for it and my wife lets me out some weekends to play :pac:

The Xone 1Ds don't have soundcards, they're just a midi controller, so you would need a souncard like the Audio 2 DJ, or the Audio 8 DJ. You don't need the uc33e if you're going for 2 Xone 1Ds. Here are your options:

Don't use (/sell) your existing mixer, get a VCI-100 and an Audio 2 DJ.

Use your existing mixer, get a UC33e and an Audio 2 DJ.

Don't use (/sell) your existing mixer, get a UC33e, a Xone:1D/Kontrol X1 and an Audio 2 DJ.

*Use your existing mixer, get a Xone:1D/Kontrol X1 and an Audio 2 DJ.

*Use your existing mixer, get 2 Xone:1Ds/2 Kontrol X1s and an Audio 8 DJ.

The two marked with * are the two I'd say are best, whether you want to use 2 or 4 channels is up to you.

If only for home use, a VCI-100 is still definitely an option, they look like great fun, but if you want to get into DJing out I'd say go with the other ones.

The Xone 1Ds don't have soundcards, they're just a midi controller, so you would need a souncard like the Audio 2 DJ, or the Audio 8 DJ. You don't need the uc33e if you're going for 2 Xone 1Ds. Here are your options:

Don't use (/sell) your existing mixer, get a VCI-100 and an Audio 2 DJ.

Use your existing mixer, get a UC33e and an Audio 2 DJ.

Don't use (/sell) your existing mixer, get a UC33e, a Xone:1D/Kontrol X1 and an Audio 2 DJ.

*Use your existing mixer, get a Xone:1D/Kontrol X1 and an Audio 2 DJ.

*Use your existing mixer, get 2 Xone:1Ds/2 Kontrol X1s and an Audio 8 DJ.

The two marked with * are the two I'd say are best, whether you want to use 2 or 4 channels is up to you.

If only for home use, a VCI-100 is still definitely an option, they look like great fun, but if you want to get into DJing out I'd say go with the other ones.

Cool, cheers. So 1 x Xone1D/Kontrol X1 along with Audio 2 DJ will give control over 2 channels. I thought I'd have to buy two of them to control 2 channels :o Not so bad then in terms of cost.

Oh and Traktor Lite does come with the Xone too?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

garthv wrote: »
    The Stealth doesnt have a soundcard. Only the Omni Control does.

As for recommending a controller...go for the Omni Control! Its a bloody great piece of kit. I had a Hercules RMX which I ditched because the sound card in it is a pile of ****. Been playing gigs with my Omni Control now for months and I wouldnt change it for the world!

Ooops:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm sorry if it's already been covered!

I'd highly reccomed the m-audio xponent along with torq. It's pretty solid of you've a decent laptop! It's what I've been using for the last year and it's served me well!

• Advertisement

I want the DX, several youtube videos and some drooling over pictures on the web have me completely sold. It can also take phono inputs so my 1210s can remain in operation too!

1155 euro though :eek:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/allenheath_xone_dx.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnLfQ6ieX8c&feature=related

Seriously tempted.

XoneDX_Front_On.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

The xone3d/4d will always be a dream of mine!

Cool, cheers. So 1 x Xone1D/Kontrol X1 along with Audio 2 DJ will give control over 2 channels. I thought I'd have to buy two of them to control 2 channels :o Not so bad then in terms of cost.

Oh and Traktor Lite does come with the Xone too?

Yep, The Xone:1D can be mapped to control 2 channels, even 4 channels is possible. The Kontrol X1 is pre-mapped for two channels, but I suppose it could be mapped for 4, but it wouldn't be ideal, same as the Xone:1D.

Traktor LE is awful, you'll definitely need the €129 upgrade. AFAIK the Xones don't, only the X1 does. But, it comes with the Audio 8, so you'd still get it even using Xones.

That Xone:DX is more or less the same as a 4 channel mixer with two Xone:1Ds attached, I don't think it'd be worth it if you already have a mixer.

Yep, The Xone:1D can be mapped to control 2 channels, even 4 channels is possible. The Kontrol X1 is pre-mapped for two channels, but I suppose it could be mapped for 4, but it wouldn't be ideal, same as the Xone:1D.

Traktor LE is awful, you'll definitely need the €129 upgrade. AFAIK the Xones don't, only the X1 does. But, it comes with the Audio 8, so you'd still get it even using Xones.

That Xone:DX is more or less the same as a 4 channel mixer with two Xone:1Ds attached, I don't think it'd be worth it if you already have a mixer.

Spent a lot of this morning watching further youtube vids on the various Xone options - much and all as I want the DX it probably doesn't make sense in the fact I already have a mixer but it would be nice to have an all in one solution too so in that respect I'm still a bit torn.

I'm defo ruling out the like of the VCI-100 etc though as I do want to keep the option to play vinyl.

What mixer do you have by the way? And do you have vinyl decks too?

You could get a timecode set-up instead of 2 1Ds for the same price if you wanted to?

i have the 1d set up for 4 channels and its perfect. i just wanna use the upfaders on the 1d for effect parameters and remap it so im not using any eq functions on the 1d, and map them to the uc33

the xone dx is amazin lookin alright. if you could afford it then its deffo a serious option.

What mixer do you have by the way? And do you have vinyl decks too?

You could get a timecode set-up instead of 2 1Ds for the same price if you wanted to?

I have a Vestax PCV-275, several years old now but still a good mixer... I see its still available too...

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR65697

Yeah I was looking at that timecode solution, also looks tempting - decisions, decisions. My heart is going for the Xone DX it has to be said!

What is that Serato Itch like that comes bundled with the DX? - Is that more focused towards scratching?

What is that Serato Itch like that comes bundled with the DX? - Is that more focused towards scratching?

Wouldn't be anywhere close to Traktor. Most people seem to use the Xone series for Ableton, and others for Traktor.

Wouldn't be anywhere close to Traktor. Most people seem to use the Xone series for Ableton, and others for Traktor.

Yeah I had thought that alright, kinda knocks the DX really then as I'd have to go and buy Traktor also - the DX seems to be made for Serato Itch.

you dont have to "buy" anything mate :D

and all the xone series comes pre mapped for traktor too

• Advertisement

you dont have to "buy" anything mate :D

and all the xone series comes pre mapped for traktor too

Well I defo have to buy the hardware unfortunately!

I take it I don't need that Audio 8dj thing if I get the DX?

Well I defo have to buy the hardware unfortunately!

I take it I don't need that Audio 8dj thing if I get the DX?

As far as I can see, the DX is a soundcard in itself. Just found this video of Ean Golden reviewing it, he doesn't like it that much. I'd say you'd do a lot better with a real analog mixer, and two midi controllers.

As far as I can see, the DX is a soundcard in itself. Just found this video of Ean Golden reviewing it, he doesn't like it that much. I'd say you'd do a lot better with a real analog mixer, and two midi controllers.

Yeah I saw that too today - I'm 100% not getting the DX now mainly due to the fact that an analogue source needs to route back through the software on the DX. Not the case with the Xone 4D which I definitely cannot stretch to. Also as you say I don't need it given that I have a mixer I can use with either the Xone 1D or the X1 - the DX just looks very sexy and was getting me on that basis :D - plus the all-in-one aspect is nice.

I wasn't sure either what the main difference was between the 1D and 2D but from what I read today its the soundcard in the 2D along with a BPM counter and some additional midi controls.

So my conclusion seems to be to get most likely the 1D along with Audio8DJ - I still don't see why I would need an additional 1D when 1 x 1D can control up to four channels? Is the 2nd 1D for more effects control etc?

If you can afford it, I'd say go for the second 1D. It's not ideal to control 4 channels with one controller, and have the two would make it much easier, and make a lot more things possible.

I can't really afford it but might try and stretch to it. I had set out on the quest for a move into digital with a budget of about 600! But I would hate to have bought something like the VCI-100 and then find that spending more would have allowed me to incorporate my 1210s.

I suppose I could always start with 1 x 1D and add another when funds allow.

I suppose I could always start with 1 x 1D and add another when funds allow.

Exactly, that's what I was going to suggest.

If you're tight on funds you could consider the X1. Used it properly in a club for the first time last night, and it was perfect. Lovely little feature on it is a little hole in the back so you can clip it onto a vinyl deck if you're tight on room in the booth, which I was.

Yeah I was looking more at the X1 today also and there is about 100 quid in the difference alright. Is there much difference between them in terms of features/performance etc?

I haven't had the chance to try a Xone:1D, but just by comparing images, the Kontrol X1 seems to have more buttons, but the Xone has faders, although I can't really see a use for faders on a midi controller.

I imagine the 1D might be slightly better build quality, although the X1 is great quality itself.

I haven't had the chance to try a Xone:1D, but just by comparing images, the Kontrol X1 seems to have more buttons, but the Xone has faders, although I can't really see a use for faders on a midi controller.

I imagine the 1D might be slightly better build quality, although the X1 is great quality itself.

Debates on other forums seem to vary a lot from various people in terms of their preference... which you would expect really, not likely to be a definitive answer for something like this... silly really but I prefer the look of the 1D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 paddy1993

ahh, you mean dj controller? i thought you meant MIDI when i saw the Topic title !

Advertisement