Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What controller should I buy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Debates on other forums seem to vary a lot from various people in terms of their preference... which you would expect really, not likely to be a definitive answer for something like this... silly really but I prefer the look of the 1D.

Look is one thing, but there are features on both you don't realise until you use both, like the lights on the X1, they're brilliant in a dark club, making it really easy to see what you're doing. AFAIK the 1D doesn't have that.

I'd say your best bet would be to actually have a go of both, and see which you prefer, if that's at all possible.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Look is one thing, but there are features on both you don't realise until you use both, like the lights on the X1, they're brilliant in a dark club, making it really easy to see what you're doing. AFAIK the 1D doesn't have that.

I'd say your best bet would be to actually have a go of both, and see which you prefer, if that's at all possible.

Yeah I did read that elsewhere alright in relation to the fact of there being no lights on the 1D versus the X1.

Trying them both not an option so I'll have to just weigh up the pros and cons of each and make a decision.

Cheers for the help with the decisions, at least I know now the route I am going - just need to decide which unit now. I'll defo buy the audio8dj and having used the demo of Traktor I know that is the software I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

yeh, no lights on the 1d.

1d does have a better build quality look to it.

has the faders which at the moment im usin as upfaders but will be re routed to effects like hawtin was using on his old setup.

Great post here from DJ Tech Tools, maybe a mod could stick it to the first post. It's a round-up of all the most popular controllers under $200, and it's really informative. A bit biased towards Vestax, the Oxygen 8, and the Midi Fighter, controllers that they love over at TechTools, but still very useful.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/01/31/compare-low-cost-controllers-best/#more-4697

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just a quick slightly OT question here, do any of you use two virtual systems? AKA two laptops. Was at an 18th last night and the DJ was using two Dells and a Yamaha 16X. Was something I hadn't considered before, I've always thought of CD decks for the backup, but doing it that way makes a lot of sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

I have read back thrugh the above posts as best I can. What is the most cost-effective controller without jog wheel, I can purchase! This must include sound card.

I require it for a small pub gig twice a week.

Also do I wait and buy what you suggest on the web or wait for adverts, or whatever.

Thanks.

Sorry a bit new to the technology, compared to my citronic decks back in the 80's :)

Just a quick slightly OT question here, do any of you use two virtual systems? AKA two laptops. Was at an 18th last night and the DJ was using two Dells and a Yamaha 16X. Was something I hadn't considered before, I've always thought of CD decks for the backup, but doing it that way makes a lot of sense.

Well you'd definitely need a backup laptop if you were using a Dell :pac: But, buying a second Macbook (there's no point having a PC as a backup for a Mac, because the PC would be more likely to crash) and a second copy of Traktor is a lot more expensive than just burning a few CDs.
    Maserati23 wrote: »
    I have read back thrugh the above posts as best I can. What is the most cost-effective controller without jog wheel, I can purchase! This must include sound card.

I require it for a small pub gig twice a week.

Also do I wait and buy what you suggest on the web or wait for adverts, or whatever.

Thanks.

Sorry a bit new to the technology, compared to my citronic decks back in the 80's :)

What's your budget? You're best off buying the best quality you can afford - is you're using good quality equipment you'll sound better, and make the money back quicker from gigs.

Why must it have an internal soundcard? Buying simply a MIDI controller and an external soundcard would give you better latency and sound quality.

Here's a round-up of controller without jogwheels for under $200:

mixers.png

But, I think these are what you're looking for, and it shows which ones have built-in soundcards.

jog-wheels.png

Well you'd definitely need a backup laptop if you were using a Dell :pac: But, buying a second Macbook (there's no point having a PC as a backup for a Mac, because the PC would be more likely to crash) and a second copy of Traktor is a lot more expensive than just burning a few CDs.

Actually, are all the packages out there single PC licences?

He was using Vitual DJ so thats 300 a time :0

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

Thanks Electrogrimey;)

Sorry for being back in the dark ages, but a midi controller with soundcard is a mixer connected to my pc via the usb enabling me to mix each mp3! is that correct?

If so, thats what I want.

So can you just reccomend 1 or 2 and point me in the direction to buy one. Thanks.

Honestly I am not as stupid as you think.:mad:

I was joint Dj of the year in 1981 with Gareth o Callaghan, at that time I used "carts" working for Nova Sunshine Dublin Etc. Etc.

My only saving grace is my Mouth:cool:

Reminds me of a song by Napoleon the 14th...............

Sorry for being back in the dark ages, but a midi controller with soundcard is a mixer connected to my pc via the usb enabling me to mix each mp3! is that correct? If so, thats what I want.

It will function as a mixer yes, but a mixer is an analog controller, same as it ever was, and midi controllers are basically DJ specific mouse & keyboard. A MIDI controller will use the program's internal mixer, so when you move the faders & EQs, you'll see them move on the screen. It sounds the exact same either way.
    So can you just reccomend 1 or 2 and point me in the direction to buy one. Thanks.

All the controllers in the second chart above would be perfect for you. The Hercules MK2, Behringer BCD3000 and Vestax Spin all have built-in soundcards, in that order of quality, I'd say the Vestax Spin would be best.

If you wanted to use Traktor, which is the industry standard software, and had the budget for it, maybe try the Vestax-VCI300, but it's a fair bit more expensive.

• Advertisement

Ok. I think I've just about scraped the money together to upgrade from my Audio 2 DJ to an audio 4 DJ, but I won't be able to afford a proper controller for a while, I'm going to get either a 1D or an X1 whenever I can afford it, but I need something cheap in the meantime.

I'm looking at something like a NanoKontrol, but I used one of them before at a gig, and didn't like it at all. It was too flimsy, and it was impossible to remember what was mapped where. Are there any other controllers around that price range that'd be more suitable? I'm half thinking of getting a MIDI keyboard...Dunno if I'd like that though.

Well it was nice while it lasted.... got paid, did the sums and can't afford it. Back to the vinyl for now!

Well it was nice while it lasted.... got paid, did the sums and can't afford it. Back to the vinyl for now!

:(

Go sell your soul and do a few awful wedding gigs from an Ipod and you'll have it in no time :pac:

:(

Go sell your soul and do a few awful wedding gigs from an Ipod and you'll have it in no time :pac:

Ha, don't think I could lower myself!

I might be able to stretch to the Audio8dj this month, at least then I could connect the decks/mixer into the computer plus record etc.

Ha, don't think I could lower myself!

I might be able to stretch to the Audio8dj this month, at least then I could connect the decks/mixer into the computer plus record etc.

That's gonna be my next purchase too, I've the Audio 2 at the moment and I want to be able to use the other 2 decks. Last time I check Amazon it was there in England for €250, but it seems to be gone, and €399 from NI is a lot more than €250...

What's the deal, taxwise, with ordering gear from America? It's there on ebay for €250, but I'd be worried about getting hit with a €100 import bill.

That's gonna be my next purchase too, I've the Audio 2 at the moment and I want to be able to use the other 2 decks. Last time I check Amazon it was there in England for €250, but it seems to be gone, and €399 from NI is a lot more than €250...

What's the deal, taxwise, with ordering gear from America? It's there on ebay for €250, but I'd be worried about getting hit with a €100 import bill.

From what I've heard it can be the luck of the draw in terms of whether they get past customs or not - technically though you would have to pay duty if it is seen by customs.

You could ask the seller to send it in bubble-wrap and mark it as 'sample - no commercial value' :pac: Oh and same on the invoice...

From what I've heard it can be the luck of the draw in terms of whether they get past customs or not - technically though you would have to pay duty if it is seen by customs.

You could ask the seller to send it in bubble-wrap and mark it as 'sample - no commercial value' :pac: Oh and same on the invoice...

Dude, mods cant say that kinda stuff, completely against TOS:eek:

Dude, mods cant say that kinda stuff, completely against TOS:eek:

True, maybe I'll be in trouble so... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

marked as gift you could be ok.

If you do get stung, what kind of tax would you pay on something that's €250?

• Advertisement

It would be the 21% VAT rate I'd imagine.

€50 :eek:

€50 :eek:

Yeah don't see how it could be anymore. Might be an option alright!

21% VAT + ~4% Duty on most items; all on the total cost inc shipping. AND, if its UPS they add a €13 VAT handling fee and then charge the vat on that bringing it to around €15:|

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I bought my vci from the US - it cost about €450 in postage but they marked it down on the box to $250. I got charged about €50 when it landed here - cash on delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Would the Numark Omni be a good controller for someone looking to start out ??

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Would the Numark Omni be a good controller for someone looking to start out ??

The stealth and the omni are practically the same, except one has a soundcard, get the one with the soundcard, I dont remember which that is though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

The stealth and the omni are practically the same, except one has a soundcard, get the one with the soundcard, I dont remember which that is though :p
    Cool, the omni has the soundcard which is what has me interested in it, is it a decent controller though ?? Don't want something crappy that'll break in no time. I'll be using mainly Mixmeiser Fusion but I'd like to switch to Traxtor.

Cool, the omni has the soundcard which is what has me interested in it, is it a decent controller though ?? Don't want something crappy that'll break in no time. I'll be using mainly Mixmeiser Fusion but I'd like to switch to Traxtor.

I used a mixmaster trial and it didnt seem to be geared to controllers like other apps are. You could use EQs but so can a E40 2 channel mixer. It runs a single stream so to speak instead of the usual 2/4 deck setup. Its really suited for prerecording gigs.

There is this, but it doesnt look great: mixmeister-control-dj-controller.jpg

For traktor on the other hand the Omni should work fine[http://co.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=traktorready] and it comes with Traktor LE with which to reel you in. I have the very childish TC and the DJ IO which is great, but in terms of Numark as a manufacturer the stuff is really robust and does exactly what it should. The faders are a little light on the touch compared to a hard mixer but the buttons and knobs are great.

I'd recommend looking up youtube videos to see how the layout works and if it would suit you.

• Advertisement

There's a guy on here that uses a Stealth Control to DJ regularly around town, he'll be able to tell you more. It's not that it'll break, but you'll grow out of it soon enough I'd say. For digital DJing, the two best possible types of set-ups are either a Scratch based set-up, with Traktor Scratch, 2 decks and and an optional controller, or a Xone:4D type set up. Both can be copied quite cheaply, but moreso the Xone:4D type. Just get a cheap mixer and a controller like a Xone:1D/Kontrol X1 or Uc33e etc. Traktor Scratch is about €500 for the whole package, which makes it pretty expensive even without the decks...

Advertisement