Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What controller should I buy?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads just to add to this, a friend of mine wants to start DJing - usual been into the clubscene for years and had a play on decks but does not want to spend 000's on CDJ's etc - he wants a basic DJ specific controller, approx €200 to spend.

He was considering one of the old Hercules Mk2's but I steered him away from that. There is a Xponent on Adverts for €300 I suggested he get that. Otherwise, a Behringer BCD3000 might be a good option?? I actually had the BCD2000 with Virtual DJ and thought it was prrtty good, but when I got the Xponent I realised it was actually sh1t. However, I think the 3000 is a lot better plus it comes with Traktor and not Virtual DJ.

Has anyone use/got the BCD3000? What others should he be considering? What about the hercukes RMX or the Numark StealthControl/OmniControl?

Any others to consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I know a bloke who DJs every Saturday in the Good Bits with just one of those Stealth Control yolks, so it must be decent enough.

For your mate, I'd say you should sell him your DJX750, and then with the €100/150 he could get an Evolution (one on ads at the moment for €99) or something to that effect. Better option in my opinion than one of the cheap all-in-ones. The VCIs are club standard, but the cheaper ones aren't, whereas using an Evolution or something like that with a DJM800 is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

I've the RMX and find it pretty good. I upgraded from the DJ console mk2 and they are really worlds apart. Suprisingly (to me anyway) the sound card side also seems much better. For 200 lids he probably needs to be looking at 2nd hand with on board sound. There's been a few RMXs on adverts that have gone for around €200. I suppose the beauty is, once this sort of gear is 2nd hand it holds it's value pretty well. If he got a 2nd hand controller for €200 and decided he wanted a different or better one, he'd most likely still get his €200 back selling it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Zascar wrote: »
    Has anyone use/got the BCD3000?

I have the BCD3000. It's grand for messing around at home or even at a house party just with some mates. It's way too unreliable though for anything more then that. I'm sure there are better controllers out there, what about the new Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol X1?

what about the new Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol X1?

I've that pre-ordered, out on the 1st Feb, so I should be getting it that week. I'm going to do a review of it for digital.dj, with a little video of what it can do, so I'll let yiz know that it's like then.

• Advertisement

romarr wrote: »
    i have the wee little Novation Nio fella ... its a good option for the price. never used it with traktor, ableton only. the sound is good, never really had any problems with it (some driver issues on win 7, went mac havent looked back)

When I looked at the specs it seemed to say that it had 4 stereo outputs, but looking at the promo it seems to only have 2...so I'm back to square one. Anyone know of any other Audio Interfaces with 4 stereo outputs that are cheaper than the Audio 8 DJ?

I've that pre-ordered, out on the 1st Feb, so I should be getting it that week. I'm going to do a review of it for digital.dj, with a little video of what it can do, so I'll let yiz know that it's like then.

nice one, make sure to post the review link somewhere here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Can the Behringer BCD 3000, scratch in tacktor pro scratch or are they just jog wheels? Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Well yes they can be used to make scratchy sounds but i highly doubt you'll be able to pull off any actual decent scratching, the platters are very small and just not designed for this.

Someone said above its unreliable care to elaborate? Well I dont need any mega scratching capabilities but it does function in this area so to speak? Forgive me if I am wrong but it has its own soundcard? So I can use that directly.

• Advertisement

Unreliable? Behringer stuff does not have a perfect reputation for quality but its only because they are being compared to to stuff many times the price. it's grand for a beginner/bedroom dj but not necessarily recommended for superstar touring DJ. Saying that, Daft Punk use some Behringer gear for their live show so....

JG009 wrote: »
    Someone said above its unreliable care to elaborate? Well I dont need any mega scratching capabilities but it does function in this area so to speak? Forgive me if I am wrong but it has its own soundcard? So I can use that directly.

yep, I said it was unreliable. Sometimes upon startup it fails to register with the drivers so no signals are going to Traktor. Usually a shutdown of traktor and the unit will fix this. I find if you start the BCD3000 first and then start Traktor it's less of an issue.

Other issues are sometimes the unit just stops sending signals to Traktor. The LEDs don't even respond on the unit. Again a restart sorts this out but imagine it happening during live set:eek:

Scratching: Well yes, there is a 'scratch' button on the BCD3000 allowing the user to use the jogwheels to scratch but seriously, it's awful. Maybe fun for messing around with but that's it, the feel and precision is bad so be warned, you aint going to take the world of turntablism by storm with this device :D

I only use the wheels for final adjustments/syncing.

Zascar wrote: »
    Saying that, Daft Punk use some Behringer gear for their live show so....

I've seen that pyramid pic too, and I suppose we can't argue with it but who knows, the thing may not even be powered up! I don't want to hark back to the 'how live are Daft Punk sets' debate again.

What would be the cheapest option, dont really need scratch, if it has it it would be good. Its not so much for beat mixing I need it, its just for an extra set of decks in a radio studio. The way it is now, they have deck a and b are coming from rear L&R and front L&R from a 5.1 SB audigy going into two channels on a broadcast desk. This is fine but its a very limited mixer and you cant hear on the phones unless the fader is turned up and this comes out on the monitors and its annoying, so basically a two/four channel controller so one can do their mixing and stuff before hand and only use one channel on the broadcast desk.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/numark_total_control.htm

Something like this, does it have its own soundcard though. So i can ditch the audigy?

yes, the BCD has internal soundcards so no need for an intermediate soundcard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

And just in case anyone is still reading this thread :P

The American audio one can operate as a standalone mixer if the lappie crashes (YAY! at last) its abot 500 yoyo's

2 sexy new controllers ....

OMG I'm in love !!! CDJ's without the CD bit (and spinning platters!)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://www.thomann.de/ie/numark_total_control.htm

Something like this, does it have its own soundcard though. So i can ditch the audigy?

No soundcard there. The sister product DJIO is an ASIO 2 channel soundcard. Got a mic through and headphones out. I have both, but I'm at the bottom of the stack and I realise how the more expensive stuff would help. For the little over 260 you'll have to pay if you shop around though, its not bad.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/numark_omni_control.htm

Sorry for the spam, would this do the job? It says on the net it has a soundcard. I need something that will work though, if it starts that not responding lark ill crack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Thought some of you may be interested in this. Haven't tried it yet.

http://www.tspotter.net/

What is it?

An application to help you fill in the missing tags and cover art in your Traktor collection by querying Discogs. No more typing/coping/pasting - do it all from inside one app that updates your Traktor collection. Create dynamic playlists, your own tagging taxonomy and quickly find tracks that you have mixed together before.

What do I need to run it?

* Java 1.5 or above, 1.6 preferred
    * Traktor Pro 1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.2.3 or Traktor Pro 1.1.2, Traktor 3.4.1 (NML versions 10, 13 and 14)
    * Windows or OS X

What else does it do?

* Key detection for wav, flac and MP3 files, plus the ability to use an external command line decoder for other audio files formats
    * Allows you to find a track in Discogs, create a WAV file named after the track and open it for recording
    * Adds updated and recorded tracks to your Discogs collection
    * Allows you to flac or MP3 encode your WAV files and embed cover art inside them so you can see it in Traktor Pro

How much is it?

It’s free! If you want to donate, then the occasional popups in Trainspotter will vanish, and you’ll get a warm fuzzy feeling inside. The features and functionality are the same whether you donate or not, except for key detection for which I ask for a donation of 5 pounds or more.

Where can I download it?

From the download page here: http://www.tspotter.net/download

• Advertisement

That's deadly cheers Paul, will deffo check that out

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://www.thomann.de/ie/numark_omni_control.htm

Sorry for the spam, would this do the job? It says on the net it has a soundcard. I need something that will work though, if it starts that not responding lark ill crack up.

Yeah,the omni and stealth have soundcards built in.

Yeah,the omni and stealth have soundcards built in.
    There much of a difference between the two, apart from price?

Lads my head was melted the past few days, I was wondering what the hell was up with most of these "controllers" having no inputs, how the feck are ye spose to mix with that I thought?
    I got KX drivers for my audigy sound blaster 2, turned on "internal mixer" set master to one output and monitor to the other, ah the mixer faders appear! And my mate explained all the controller is just like a mouse with buttons, no sound goes through it, it all started to take shape.
    I thought external mixer was the best to select so you could have two outs, I thought with internal it being a pc programme the monitor thing would be difficult.
    Anyway, in summary now its working, it rocks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I was wondering what the hell was up with most of these "controllers" having no inputs, how the feck are ye spose to mix with that I thought?

Hercules RMX has 2 stereo inputs switchable between phono and line and mic input.

It can be used as an input for "some" DVS solutions as well e.g deckadance / Mixx / ms pinky or mixvibes.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

So it looks like I can finally splash out and join the digital revolution :pac:

Any conclusions reached by those who have invested in the many controllers out there? I'm thinking the Vestax VCI-100 still... By this time next week, I'll actually have sufficient funds to buy something anyway... tis V exciting :D

Felixdhc wrote: »
    So it looks like I can finally splash out and join the digital revolution :pac:

Any conclusions reached by those who have invested in the many controllers out there? I'm thinking the Vestax VCI-100 still... By this time next week, I'll actually have sufficient funds to buy something anyway... tis V exciting :D

If you already have a mixer, I'd seriously say you should consider the X1. I have it, and wouldn't change it for anything else, except maybe something from the Xone range, but they're in a completely different price bracket. Also, it will compliment any set-up, especially if you want to go for a timecode system, which I would also recommend.

As for a soundcard, I'd say splash out on the extra €150 and get an Audio 8 DJ (they're only €250 or so on amazon), you're going to want to upgrade to 4 channels eventually, and I now regret getting an Audio 2 DJ for that reason.

Felix if you're set on the VCI I might sell you mine, I'm thinking about getting the Vestax TR1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

you gonna be usin traktor yeh?

i went for the xone 1d before xmas and absolutly love it! i done all the midi mapping myself and having never done that before i have it perfect at the moment :D just the way i wanted it.

in the next few weeks im gonna buy the audio8dj for the 4 channels and im also gonna pick up
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/evolution_uc33e_usbcontroller.htm

my plan is to use the 1d for the effects and my looping and to use the uc33 for the mixer functions like upfaders and eq's ect.

had a look at the x1 and wasnt impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

If you already have a mixer, I'd seriously say you should consider the X1. I have it, and wouldn't change it for anything else, except maybe something from the Xone range, but they're in a completely different price bracket. Also, it will compliment any set-up, especially if you want to go for a timecode system, which I would also recommend.

As for a soundcard, I'd say splash out on the extra €150 and get an Audio 8 DJ (they're only €250 or so on amazon), you're going to want to upgrade to 4 channels eventually, and I now regret getting an Audio 2 DJ for that reason.

Yeah have an existing regular mixer alright - why would you say go that route over say the VCI-100?

Had a look at the Xone, certainly is a different price range and this one defo out of my budget! Although I wonder should I save the pennies for a while longer...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/allenheath_xone4d.htm

Advertisement