Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Night

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Bryn wrote: »
    Night, don't cry too much :p

Ah you shouldnt be saying night to me - they`ll all be talking again :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

*gives bryn the elbow

Dude,its the classic I will cry myself to sleep ploy,comfort her!
    ;)

Ok,thats really it from me.
    Later gators.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah, where's her hug??

Shockin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Larianne wrote: »
    Yeah, where's her hug??

Shockin'.

Just to shut you all up.......

Night lala :P
    2MnBzp68m3vpfw7zOyIQSbKJ_400.jpg

Just to shut you all up.......

Night lala :P
    2MnBzp68m3vpfw7zOyIQSbKJ_400.jpg

UGH thats one scary looking cat!!

Now night ALL:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Its all the talk of Daddy's shotgun. So old fashioned and romantic.:pac:

UGH thats one scary looking cat!!

Now night ALL:D

Can never make them happy! :rolleyes:

(bring the flowers and chocs back to the garage!)

You lot are too bold :p

You lot are too bold :p

You brought it all on yourself :P

You brought it all on yourself :P

I did not!!!:p

• Advertisement

ah she can't get a enough of it. :)

(the kitten worked Bryn!!!)

ah she can't get a enough of it. :)

I think so too......she loves the attention :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I remember when this thread was about a grumpy old man being bitter and now it's a flirting event? There is a social chat thread for , errrr, chatty stuff so take it over there please.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
    My parents are married 30yrs this year, they don't do anything for valentines, usually dad'll get her something cuz he likes to
    This is perfect, romantic gestures means so much more when it's out of the blue and unexpected.

OG isn't there a burlesque Rocky Horror on this Valentines?
    Theres the Rocky and the Dublin Burlesque Ball and Burlectro. I'll update in the B&C forum later.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Well there is always way to spice up a normal night in. Cook her a romantic meal. Or a nice romantic bath with candles around or whatever.....there are plenty of ways of making a night a bit special!

LMAO, or you could put a pizza in the oven!
    I think so too......she loves the attention :p:pac:

Obviously you do too :rolleyes:

Jemmy wrote: »
    LMAO, or you could put a pizza in the oven!

Obviously you do too :rolleyes:

Thank god someone agrees with me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Thank god someone agrees with me :D

No I don't actually, he just can't cook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Jemmy you've set them off again!!!

Aye OG - I think random tokens are sweet, like I said 'saved you a piece of donut' , little things like that, or 'saw this and thought of you'.
    Or noting something you like when you're out and buying it later (my dad's done that for mother a few times).

I don't think doing something for valentines is bad though, once it's something that you are happy with, and aren't doing it for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

My gf loves romance. Watches romantic films and reads loads of romance books and I know that she's expecting a big Valentine's Day thing.

The truth is, I hate Valentine's Day. I love her to bits but I don't want to go out and spend loads of money on a meal, flowers etc.

It's her birthday the day before and I don't have that much money to be throwing money at the two days.

Valentine's Day is a load of BS if you ask me and I don't know whether or not I should bite the bullet and buy her something or not.

Surely a birthday present is enough don't you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Agreed- I dont think theres any need to spend a heap of cash to prove something to someone. Personally, Id much rather being spoiled in other ways. If my bf wants to pamper me he'll cook my favourite dinner, run a bath and keep my wine glass filled all night. Id much prefer that kind of thing than a huge bunch of flowers and a rushed dinner in a restaurant. It takes more effort and planning, yet costs nothing. Perfect!

That_Guy,

especially given her birthday is the day before, it'd be a bit much to do a big valentines too. Plus it shoudln't be expected either.

I'm romantic, though I don't like reading romance crap or particularly romantic movies, but honestly, me, the guy a blanket and a movie is happy days for me. Maybe I'm just easy to please lol.

But I think you shouldn't feel pressured into doing something. No harm in marking the day, if it's something you know she'd fell sad at if you didn't. But like a single rose with a note or something even. That way she doesn't feel left out on valentines (if she expects something) and it's just a token which is more than enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

star-pants wrote: »
    That_Guy,

especially given her birthday is the day before, it'd be a bit much to do a big valentines too. Plus it shoudln't be expected either.

I'm romantic, though I don't like reading romance crap or particularly romantic movies, but honestly, me, the guy a blanket and a movie is happy days for me. Maybe I'm just easy to please lol.

But I think you shouldn't feel pressured into doing something. No harm in marking the day, if it's something you know she'd fell sad at if you didn't. But like a single rose with a note or something even. That way she doesn't feel left out on valentines (if she expects something) and it's just a token which is more than enough.

Cheers for that. I appreciate this a lot.

I guess I just hate Valentine's Day because it seems like it's a day just for her. It seems the bf/husband has to pay for everything and gets nothing in return.

I dunno why it's just the one day where you are basically forced to show affection to your nearest and dearest when I do it every other day of the year.

I've been single for the last three Valentine's Days and I'm just used to not doing anything on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Agreed- I dont think theres any need to spend a heap of cash to prove something to someone. Personally, Id much rather being spoiled in other ways. If my bf wants to pamper me he'll cook my favourite dinner, run a bath and keep my wine glass filled all night. Id much prefer that kind of thing than a huge bunch of flowers and a rushed dinner in a restaurant. It takes more effort and planning, yet costs nothing. Perfect!
    Exactly.

Last year I bought my gf an inexpensive bunch of roses, cooked her a 3 course meal and had a night in with her. I intend on doing something similar this year.

Do many girls really expect the excesses of presents, flowers, chocolates, a meal out etc. ?

As a girl - whos' only been non single for one valentines - I think I went to as much effort as he did.

I ordered Gen1 of Optimus Prime and another one I can't recall the name of now. They were *far* from cheap.

I wouldn't expect anything big or fancy for valentines, and I would be more than appreciative if I did get something. I said all this in my frist post I think, but he got me sent a lovely single rose in a vase with a teddy and I was like OMG, cuz I never get flowers or things like that, so yes I loved it but I wouldn't *expect* it.

I wouldn't want to go out on valentines because it seems horrible from anyones experience, overpriced, rushed in and out, stuck with bunches of other people. I much prefer relaxed, comfortable, own pace. Sitting in with a chinese would work for me.
    It also shouldn't be all about 'getting the girl something' - IF you want to partake in Valentines, it's a two way thing. Girls AND guys. The onus shouldn't be on one half to do everything. IF ye wanna celebrate it, both parties should put in the same amount of effort in my opinion.

I certainly amn't a girl who'd expect anything more than a 'happy valentines' and maybe a token from a guy I was with, as I know I'd get him something.

Not giving out about people that do like to go all out, but that it shouldn't be expected or presumed by anyone.

I think the pressure comes from other women. "What are you doing for Valentine's Day?", "What did the OH get you for Valentine's Day?".

One year at Valentine's I was working in an all female environment. I was asked what he had got for me. I then had to basically show my arm off to everyone on the shop floor the lovely bracelet he got me. I was quite embarrassed by it. One of the ladies was like "Ooh white gold, wonder how much that cost him? You could always go by the jewellers and have a look." I was shocked.

Don't get me wrong I was delighted with the present although slightly embarrassed by it. I thought it was too much for a gift for a silly day of the year and hadn't been going out long. Although I wouldn't be hugely impressed by flowers and chocolates. I'd prefer a DVD and a take away. :)

I think the pressure comes from other women. "What are you doing for Valentine's Day?", "What did the OH get you for Valentine's Day?".

Very valid point, and it stands to more than Valentines. I think there's been threads before about asking how much to spend on an engagement ring and some answers were horrendous.
    You see it with some people (not just women), 'ooh thats lovely, how much was it'.. who cares it was a gift!
    It's not about price, it's about effort/care/thought.

Which goes for valentines/or any other event. You could buy me a fantastic expensive necklace/bracelet(I don't really like jewellery but just for a standard)... but it mightn't mean as much as you finding that old book I'd wanted, or buying me a funky pair of awesome GIR pjs. Everythings relative to the people involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

One year at Valentine's I was working in an all female environment. I was asked what he had got for me. I then had to basically show my arm off to everyone on the shop floor the lovely bracelet he got me. I was quite embarrassed by it. One of the ladies was like "Ooh white gold, wonder how much that cost him? You could always go by the jewellers and have a look." I was shocked.

Don't get me wrong I was delighted with the present although slightly embarrassed by it. I thought it was too much for a gift for a silly day of the year and hadn't been going out long. Although I wouldn't be hugely impressed by flowers and chocolates. I'd prefer a DVD and a take away. :)
    A lot does you're right. I showed a friend a piece of jewellery I received and she looked at it and said "jesus. I've handed back better." it signifies to them what the guy thinks of you.

:eek:
    Wagon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Last year I bought my gf an inexpensive bunch of roses, cooked her a 3 course meal and had a night in with her. I intend on doing something similar this year.

Misogyny much. If you were truly for womens rights you would dropping hints to her asking her where she is bringing you this year:D

Seriously, do most girls spend anything???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Oh, she made me a giant chocolate heart. Also, I love cooking. If she insisted on cooking for Valentine's day, I'd probably be a bit disappointed tbh :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I hate valentines. I hate getting flowers. purely because they are such a rip off. this year though. . . . we'll just have to wait and see what comes of it :D

Advertisement