Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont do big overly romantic gestures for Valentines, because i dont like the idea that Hallmark get to tell me when i can show my girlfriend that I love her, I can do that fine on my own initiative any day of the year, I'll get her something small or make her a card, I like cooking dinner for her and just treating her for the evening, get wine she likes, watch one of her favourite movies or something, and shes happy with that, we keep our big surprises and stuff for when it matters and is spontaneous during the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with Valentines day. On one side, it is nice to show both love and appreciation for the person you love. It's an excuse for a romantic evening together, for romantic gestures that are all too often put on the back burner the rest of the year.

On the other side it's completely one-sided. It's about the man proving his love for the woman and the woman need not prove anything in return. Worse than this, the emphasis is on the man doing so financially. The more he spends, the more he loves her - he's essentially buying her love and, in my eyes, I know what that makes her.

At least that is how some see it - you'd be surprised how many. There has been a shift in recent years towards it being a mutual exchange - a day where both make gestures of romantic love and celebrate the relationship they have together, and in that context I genuinely like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I shoulda put a poll on this.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

On the other side it's completely one-sided. It's about the man proving his love for the woman and the woman need not prove anything in return. Worse than this, the emphasis is on the man doing so financially. The more he spends, the more he loves her - he's essentially buying her love and, in my eyes, I know what that makes her.

A friend of mine has been with her fiance the last 5 years, he took on her child at 4 weeks old, she goes mad at Valentines buying him things, getting the kids to bed early so she can cook a romantic meal for them and they watch a dvd together and so on.

She always treats him like its his birthday on Valentines day, he often says he is gonna bring her away and she wont have any of it, she actually enjoys treating him, he will always get her flowers which she loves but thats it.

Its not always the man who does the spending :D

I did say that in my third paragraph.

• Advertisement

I did say that in my third paragraph.

Oh I know, I was just making a point of her and her partner though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

In the US valentines is always mutual and not exclusive to lovers. As early as kindergarted we made valentines cards for our classmates and were handed out heart shaped candies that had little messages like "be mine" and "i love you" and "hugs". We made cards for our parents too.

I think it is s terrible shame if women don't use valentines to explore the romantic imagination. It doesnt have to cost money either. There is always the good old fashioned love letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

True actually, I usually get my parents a card or something for valentines, just sort of .. spreading the love maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

THanks lala - I am starting my list -now how much can I get away with.:D

CDfm wrote: »
    THanks lala - I am starting my list -now how much can I get away with.:D

Dont expect too much :D

• Advertisement

Dont expect too much :D
    Ah puleeeese - I am absorbing equality at a huge rate and dont want to appear too greedy :D

Ah puleeeese - I am absorbing equality at a huge rate and dont want to appear too greedy :D

Just ask for loads of little things and you'll get them :D

Just ask for loads of little things and you'll get them :D

But I want big things - girls get big things
    According to the results, respondents who plan to buy a gift for their spouse or significant other this Valentine's Day will spend an average of $86.90, whereas last year they reported spending $88.50 – a decrease of two percent. Men who plan to purchase a Valentine's Day gift intend to spend an average of $118.30 on their significant other, down slightly from last year's average of $125.30. Women said they plan to spend an average of $49.80, up from $44.50.

This equality lark is hard work:p

But I want big things - girls get big things

I get nothing :) Ok make a list of a few big things and point out the few you would really like :D Im sure you`ll get something decent then :)

I get nothing :) Ok make a list of a few big things and point out the few you would really like :D Im sure you`ll get something decent then :)

List done -thaks lala ;)

Ah Im sure somebody could arrange that :D

Ah Im sure somebody could arrange that :D

Phew -thanks :cool:

Phew -thanks :cool:

Obviously not me though :D I could be accused of flirting ya know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Obviously not me though :D I could be accused of flirting ya know :)

Your such a tease! :pac::P

Your such a tease! :pac::P

First flirting now teasing! I cant win :o

• Advertisement

First flirting now teasing! I cant win :o

You could just say i was being overly friendly :P

You could just say i was being overly friendly :P

I was just being friendly!! I wont in future cause everyone picks on poor defenseless lala :p

I was just being friendly!! I wont in future cause everyone picks on poor defenseless lala :p

are you trying to sya your a defencelss lala :D :pac:?

ive no plans for valintines day :D Other then not be in the appartment so my flat mates can practice rabbit making skills... :pac:

are you trying to sya your a defencelss lala :D :pac:?

ive no plans for valintines day :D Other then not be in the appartment so my flat mates can practice rabbit making skills... :pac:

Yep I am defenceless!

Rather you than me :p

me thinks you are trying to decept me with a fasade...... :p

tell me about it... :pac: i cant stand the sound of a sqeeky matress :D

Get out of here you! You've gotten all the nerds wound up that they're talking to a gurl.

Imagine their disappointment when they discover that you are in fact a 43-year old male, overweight and balding chartered accountant living in Scunthorpe.

me thinks you are trying to decept me with a fasade...... :p

tell me about it... :pac: i cant stand the sound of a sqeeky matress :D

Nope not me!!! :)

I can certainly think of better sounds to be listening to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Get a room

Cheers

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Ah valentine's night, coupla bottles of tesco red wine, maybe a lump of steak, get ****faced alone. Happy days!

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    Ah valentine's night, coupla bottles of tesco red wine, maybe a lump of steak, get ****faced alone. Happy days!

You could be in luck " in fact a 43-year old male, overweight and balding chartered accountant living in Scunthorpe." may drop around and you wouldnt have to spend it alone :p

But really, its one of those days Xmas, Fathers day etc being others where being alone may be an issue and a stigma.

Its Valentines Day ffs - boy or girl what more of an excuse do you need to ask someone out. If you get a refusal ask tell them its alright you only asked them cos you felt sorry for them being alone on St Vals and ask someone else and they might just be on for it- even be flattered. :cool:

Advertisement