Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Night

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've only spent one Valentine's in a relationship, every other one I was single. Doesn't bother me to be honest, and hopefully then would make the next Valentine's that I spend with someone to be semi special :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

CDfm wrote: »
    Misogyny much. If you were truly for womens rights you would dropping hints to her asking her where she is bringing you this year:D

Seriously, do most girls spend anything???

Eh, yes! I've never gotten a Valentine's gift (bar flowers and that was once), any guy I've been with has treated me to an evening out - and I've looked after the staying in part afterwards; lingerie, champage, massagey stuff, other sexy treats, etc. That doesn't grow on trees, you have to buy it :P

Though I think it's a bit petty to be thinking about who spent what tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

shellyboo wrote: »

Though I think it's a bit petty to be thinking about who spent what tbh...

Being very tongue in cheek.It was just a nice way of highlighting that in recessionary times there is a cost.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

We have tended to be on holiday in a non-comercial part of Portugal around that time but even there it is a bigsh thing. Last year we had lunch in the local pitzeria and dinner in the local portugese place (we split the meals)...nice day...

This year, well am heavily pregnant so our baby will be involved...am hoping that we can have lunch in a place we both like...we both just tend to forget the world around us when we are together in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

so the question being is geature more important then the money behinde it ? well more so to the ladys :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I think gesture is always more important than money spent (not specifically to valentines but to lots of things).
    Showing that you care, that you've put thought and effort matters more than 'I bought the most expensive thing I could find'.
    That said, if the gesture cost 5c or 500€, it'll still mean the same. Not that it isn't appreciated if you had to spend a lot on it. If I'm making sense....
    Nothing wrong with spending an arm and a leg, but just that it's not expected nor should it be, and thought into it is more important than wondering how much to spend.

so the question being is geature more important then the money behinde it ? well more so to the ladys :D

Definitely gesture. I wouldn't be expecting a big high-value present for Valentine's Day at all, I'd be expecting to spend some quality time with my partner and to do something a bit special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

You could be in luck " in fact a 43-year old male, overweight and balding chartered accountant living in Scunthorpe." may drop around and you wouldnt have to spend it alone :p

But really, its one of those days Xmas, Fathers day etc being others where being alone may be an issue and a stigma.

Its Valentines Day ffs - boy or girl what more of an excuse do you need to ask someone out. If you get a refusal ask tell them its alright you only asked them cos you felt sorry for them being alone on St Vals and ask someone else and they might just be on for it- even be flattered. :cool:

For some people being alone might be an issue, not me. :) The only annoying thing is so many people being busy, not why they're busy.

Ha -they are all denying it is :p:p:p

Do we believe them.??????

Ha -they are all denying it is :p:p:p

Do we believe them.??????

I know you're half-joking CD, but seriously - we're not all mercenary wagons.

• Advertisement

shellyboo wrote: »
    I know you're half-joking CD, but seriously - we're not all mercenary wagons.

Not at all -should I hold out for the Porshe or settle for the Nissan

If there is reincarnation I want to come back as a blonde;)

amacachi wrote: »
    For some people being alone might be an issue, not me. :) The only annoying thing is so many people being busy, not why they're busy.

Or it could mean the not busy ones are available.

I mean lots of people would be flattered to be asked out on Valentines Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

CathyMoran wrote: »
    we both just tend to forget the world around us when we are together in any case.

That is possibly the sweetest thing Ive ever read on boards,you just made my day Cathy,thank you.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Or it could mean the not busy ones are available.

I mean lots of people would be flattered to be asked out on Valentines Day.

I meant mates. I'm not arsed trying to get with or into a relationship with women these days, I've accepted a solitary life unless something big changes. :pac:

amacachi wrote: »
    I meant mates. I'm not arsed trying to get with or into a relationship with women these days, I've accepted a solitary life unless something big changes. :pac:

amacachi -as shellyboo said not all women are mercenary wagons and you might enjoy it. anyway seeing it does not bother you you might enjoy the company of a woman as a friend:)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Now I don't like the whole Valentines thing since with people's silly expectations it seems to just be a day to use as fodder for future arguments!!

But +1 to StarPants, if you're going to do it the gesture is way more important than any cost/present.

That said, an ex once spent the whole day pretending he forgot then turned up after his shift at 11.30pm with a bunch of blackened, half dead flowers from the shop he managed (ie free) and a chocolate bunny and then went off to get locked with his housemate and play xBox.

Warning: don't pretend you forget unless you're going to make up for it! :p

IME making the effort to spend time with the person doing something you both like usually makes all the difference! Other than that go out for the night for some 'anti-Valentines' drinking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Andy9832

Myself and my wife were looking to do something romantic but we also like to have a bit of craic with a few other couples. So we decided to put the 2 together. We found out that the Castleknock Hotel in Dublin are having a Valentines Ball on the Saturday. They have a meal and a band and late bar, so there are 10 of us staying over. Hopefully it'll be a good laugh. We were then thinking of having dinner the next night in their restaurant on our own. At least that way we can get the best of both worlds. So hard thinking of something different after 9 years of marriage. I'm tired of buying the same old things every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

In finland valentines day is called friends day and its not exclusive to lovers which is nice .

Valentines Day is celebrated all over the world on the 14th of February. In Finland this celebration arrived rather late, and was officially listed in the almanac in 1987. In Finland Valentines Day is called "Ystävänpäivä", which means "Friend's Day". Unlike many other countries where Valentines Day is mainly a day of "Romance", in Finland it is also the day when close friends send cards and gifts to each other, although it is a popular day to get married and engaged on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

Lol, I find it the opposite, my boyfriend was always mad for Valentines day, whereas I couldnt care less if I tried, we were both working last valentines, as in i finished at 5 he started at 6 kinda thing, so it was handy for me, (not for him) although I have to admit turning up at my workplace with a big bunch of roses with white flowers was totally unexpected and a nice surprise, we're both off work this valentines day, with our 2 year anniversary a few days before. Im interested to see where we end up, I'd rather a quiet night in, I dont like the cliche of valentines, where every other couple is out. I'd much rather stay in whereas i think he will be the exact opposite. I'll make sure I get my way though :)

Lol, , my boyfriend was always mad for Valentines day, whereas I couldnt care less if I tried,..........as in i finished at 5 he started at 6 kinda thing, so it was handy for me, (not for him) although I have to admit turning up at my workplace with a big bunch of roses with white flowers was totally unexpected and a nice surprise,..............I'd much rather stay in whereas i think he will be the exact opposite. I'll make sure I get my way though :)

Typical -your turn to pay and you want to stay home. ;)

Tsk tsk

• Advertisement

I'm single so don't have to fret about V day :D
    However if I was seeing a nice young lady I would prefer to bring her out or bring her for a weekend somewhere because I want to rather than because it's V day, no doubt I'd get a card and gift for V day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I don't do valentines day, I used to make an effort a long time ago but that died with that relationship. I honlesty prefer a night in or on the bath on my own and to do romantic things other nights of the year.

There is a bit of teenage innocence about the whole valentines day thing dont you think.

I mean mushy songs and soppy cards and even baby talk :eek:

I had a flat mate years ago and one Valentines Day and in the living room he was calling her snookins and she him fluffybuns. It still cracks me up.

I couldnt do the baby talk thing -never ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hmm, I suppose I have to make an effort, seeing as it's our first. But what to do? It's on a Sunday, too. Damn and blast. Have to think of something for the Saturday night.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Have to think of something for the Saturday night.

Women love underwear especially red underwear and the redder the better you can check out her size in the underwear drawer and vinyl high heeled thigh boots and feather boa and whats more you can buy them all at anne Summers. Lucky you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I am not a great fan of Vlentines day, but it is nice to get a token. Last year myself and my husband had a picnic on the sitting room floor, it was a good laugh. I would kill my hubby if he went out and spent a craz amount of money on a dozen red roses ( i dont like them anyway, remind me of funerals) but he always gets me a bunch of daffodils (my fav)

When I was single my single girlfriend and I used to meet in someones house for dinner or head to the pub. We would give each other a cheap bunch of flowers or a silly little gift. It was always good fun.

Women love underwear especially red underwear and the redder the better you can check out her size in the underwear drawer and vinyl high heeled thigh boots and feather boa and whats more you can buy them all at anne Summers. Lucky you :D

Haha. Get lost. I'd get murdered if I turned up with vinyl anything. Or anything out of Ann Summers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Maybe if you wore it yourself. Pretend you're the woman and ask for chocolates and act all disappointed when you get your gift. Then ask her where shes taking you. You could have valentines role reversal.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Haha. Get lost. I'd get murdered if I turned up with vinyl anything. Or anything out of Ann Summers. :D

Thats a defeatest attitude - its traditional to make an effort on St Vals day. A ManU away strip can be tasteful too.

• Advertisement

A ManU away strip can be tasteful too.

How low can you go?

Advertisement