Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Night

Options
  • 21-01-2010 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭

It's almost upon us, the night of cuddly snookims and flowers and chocolates and perhaps a gift of something a little more intimate. You book a restaurant and they graciously tell you they can squeeze you in between 8:15 and 9:10. The food is overcooked but somehow served lukewarm, and then the bill comes, a bill so large it should be called William.
    Then it spirals downward. The flowers give her hay fever, the thorns tear her stockings. The chocolates were handmade but she's on a diet after Christmas. Finally, the small professionally wrapped gift of intimate apparel that you even managed to get in the right size makes her 'feel like a tart' (not in the good way).
    After frantically fighting your way to the bar for cocktails, made by the glass-washer who has been drafted in as a standby barman you head home, once again frantically fighting with every other couple in the country to get that elusive taxi.
    Home 2 hours later after a 20 minute journey you make with the bedroom eyes and she responds with those soul destroying words..."Oh I suppose you earned it." How gracious she is and how grateful I am.
    I really Hate Valentines Night.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

OldGoat wrote: »
    It's almost upon us
    It's not. It's over 3 weeks away.
    You book a restaurant
    Personally, I cook an awesome meal.
    Then it spirals downward. The flowers give her hay fever, the thorns tear her stockings. The chocolates were handmade but she's on a diet after Christmas. Finally, the small professionally wrapped gift of intimate apparel that you even managed to get in the right size makes her 'feel like a tart' (not in the good way).
    After frantically fighting your way to the bar for cocktails, made by the glass-washer who has been drafted in as a standby barman you head home, once again frantically fighting with every other couple in the country to get that elusive taxi.
    Home 2 hours later after a 20 minute journey you make with the bedroom eyes and she responds with those soul destroying words..."Oh I suppose you earned it." How gracious she is and how grateful I am.
    I really Hate Valentines Night.
    PI is that way
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

lol :pac:

i dont have gf thank god :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Chinese Takeway delivered ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

PI is that way
    >

I reckon your sense of humour might be over that direction too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Female view here:
    no interest in going out for dinner valentines nite, would much perfer to stay home and get takeaway or cook and spend eve just rexaling, few drinks all at our own pace! not been rushed out of places coz someone else waiting on table, or paying high prices for dinner that if you got week b4 or week after would be much cheaper.
    once he gets me a card, im happy and dont want/need anything else:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

messrs wrote: »
    Female view here:
    no interest in going out for dinner valentines nite, would much perfer to stay home and get takeaway or cook and spend eve just rexaling, few drinks all at our own pace! not been rushed out of places coz someone else waiting on table, or paying high prices for dinner that if you got week b4 or week after would be much cheaper.
    once he gets me a card, im happy and dont want/need anything else:D

Totally agree with this, cosy/romantic night in just the two of us is much better. :)

This year will be out for a few with the ladies though, no romance for me! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The ‘quiet night in’ thing is something we do most nights though with kidlets and an in-law in the house the romance is a tad stilted. If I was to suggest to her that we stay at home and cook she would nail my testicles to the doorframe and then she would slam the door. As much as she poopoo's the Valentines idea and says it doesn’t matter if I dared not make an effort I'd get the cold shoulder treatment for weeks, or until she messes up in some way to redress the balance.
    So what is in a Valentines day/night for a man? If you discount the possibility of a shag then there is only heartache and expense...or a romantic card. Bwahahahahaha how we men love our romantic cards, we treasure them - till the next bin day.
    I can see the appeal of Valentines to some couples, those fresh, new, dew-eyed fledgling couples celebrating their 4 week anniversary or some such but us older grumpier cynicaler(:p) men, facing our 10th+ Valentines night with the same partner just wish it would all go away.
    Or is that just me?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I
    can see the appeal of Valentines to some couples, those fresh, new, dew-eyed fledgling couples celebrating their 4 week anniversary or some such but us older grumpier cynicaler() men, facing our 10th+ Valentines night with the same partner just wish it would all go away.
    Or is that just me?

I hate Valentines. My self n herself hate it with a passion now.
    I wish it would go away. Its the biggest money racket of the year

It's a mugs game is Valentines day. I'll take the bunch of flowers mind you - it's the only time I get them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

her stockings.
    seksi;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I love valentines :) tis my birthday so always get treated well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

RedXIV wrote: »
    I love valentines :) tis my birthday so always get treated well :)

So two birds with one stone for your partner? :)

Convenience FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Only celebrated Valentine's once, didn't get to see my ex that day, but he got a gorgeous single rose in slim vase (which I thought was more romantic than bunch of flowers) and a teddy with chocs sent to me. I'd never had anything like that so it was lovely! I got him Gen1 Ultra Magnus and Gen1 .. um.. fudge I forget the other ones name, which he practically droooled over lol.
    We'd a nice dinner when we saw each other the next time, so that suited us just fine.
    Personally wouldn't be a fan of going out that night, I'd prefer dinner in or a picnic or a lovely walk or something. Heck staying in playing video games would do, once I was with them I don't think I'd care.

I understand people hating the whole hallmarkness of it, but I think a token of the day is sweet. Even if it's 'I saved you a piece of my donut!' (that happened on a non v-day which was rather cute).

I don't think a song and dance needs to be made, or heck if you want to ignore it then do so :) My parents are married 30yrs this year, they don't do anything for valentines, usually dad'll get her something cuz he likes to. But their anniversary is in March so that's more important.

Valentines should be what you make/want it to be. Whether it's nothing or it's everything.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OG isn't there a burlesque Rocky Horror on this Valentines?

Grab a group of burlesquers and have a night out as a group if so?

I've no time for Valentines, can't remember the last year I got a card when in a relationship, I'd much prefer flowers as a random "I was thinking of you and got you these" gesture, and intimate apparell shopping is much more fun together :D

Plus the bf has his birthday in March and another important event each March too so I'd much prefer to be whisking off to somewhere like Lyrath for a weekend when it's not Valentines, and we can splash out that bit more just cos the date is different :)

That's just us though :)

I'm the sort who'd die if I'd flowers delivered to me in work etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I will most definately be out with the lads enjoying a few pints and forgetting all about it this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Hmm, I really dislike eating in restaurants on Valentine's cos you really do get treated like livestock. That said, I love being spoiled and romanced! Hasn't happened very often though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Its all a money racket!! If I wanted flowers I would buy them for myself :D

I can think of much better ways to spend money :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Woohoo Valentines Day

Being a feminist and all that entails -can't wait to see what Im getting :D:p

Its all a money racket!! If I wanted flowers I would buy them for myself :D

I can think of much better ways to spend money :)

You are right, it is a total money racket. But it is nice when you are in a relationship.....i'm just bitter cos i'm single :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I have a wedding the 13th of February so my valentines day this year will be spent severely hungover until I go to the party the next day and drink my blues away.Yabba dabba doo!

Oh,Valentines day sucks in general.

• Advertisement

Bryn wrote: »
    You are right, it is a total money racket. But it is nice when you are in a relationship.....i'm just bitter cos i'm single :P

I'm always single for it thats probably why I'm so bitter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Not mad on Valentines Day and the forced expense. Would much rather surprise her with a random day where she wasn't expecting anything at all, much better...

Not mad on Valentines Day and the forced expense. Would much rather surprise her with a random day where she wasn't expecting anything at all, much better...

You are right, that is a much better idea. But if you do nothing on Valentine's day, you end up looking like a bit of a scrooge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I'm always single for it thats probably why I'm so bitter :D

^^ wink wink nudge nudge ;)

CDfm wrote: »

lmao :p:D

CDfm wrote: »

LMAO!!! :D

You are right, that is a much better idea. But if you do nothing on Valentine's day, you end up looking like a bit of a scrooge!

I don't think so, I think its too much of an expense for one day! Id be happier with a trip to the cinema than a big dinner that I probably wont finish :D

I don't think so, I think its too much of an expense for one day! Id be happier with a trip to the cinema than a big dinner that I probably wont finish :D

I don't mean that it has to be a big dinner and an expensive night out, I just think that a couple should do something together on Valentines, just the 2 of them. Even the cinema like you say, or a quiet night in on your own with a dvd and a pizza!

I don't mean that it has to be a big dinner and an expensive night out, I just think that a couple should do something together on Valentines, just the 2 of them. Even the cinema like you say, or a quiet night in on your own with a dvd and a pizza!

Someone said earlier though about a woman moaning if its just another night in! Women are moaners - sorry but they are! :D If its just a normal night in as they would normally have they wouldnt be impressed with it!

• Advertisement

Someone said earlier though about a woman moaning if its just another night in! Women are moaners - sorry but they are! :D If its just a normal night in as they would normally have they wouldnt be impressed with it!

Well there is always way to spice up a normal night in. Cook her a romantic meal. Or a nice romantic bath with candles around or whatever.....there are plenty of ways of making a night a bit special!

Advertisement