Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

few miles south of dundalk here and bucketing down:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Snowshoe Sam

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    NO SNOW HERE ALL EVENING!!!!!

LIKE WTF????

:mad::mad::mad:

Feelin' your pain Mr. Boots.

Think there's been about 7 flakes here since 6pm :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

dolliemix wrote: »
    This image is from the RTE website

Do you think they're authentic? I've been looking at them for ages trying to work them out!

Attachment not found.

Someone could have done that by balancing on a spare wheel. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

eskimocat wrote: »
    Hey where are all the westies, and the donegal contingent!! whats happening up there?

No snow here since earlier this afternoon, starry starry night so not likely to have anything in the near future... can someone please tell me whats the story now for north Leitrim, when i left around 7pm we were due more snow tomorrow, but seem to be hearing a downgrade for everywhere 'cept along the East! is that right?

So many pages impossible to catch up...

Nothing happening here, cold, clear and frosty. same old, same old.

-6.2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

typhooner wrote: »
    most of the models are showing the Scandinavian High fighting back, at worst temps will revert back to low single figures by day, there's no support for a return to milder temps.
    Went through about 6-7 of the various ensembles there and they all broadly agree that the atlantic will make inroads into the south and southwest at the very least. It is marginal for everywhere else in a line from Galway to Dublin north. Obviously higher ground below this line will differ somewhat by a degree or two (on average) to sea level. All ensembles indicate that the high will reinforce itself somewhat towards the end of the week. This I believe is ME's reason for not putting a definitive end to the cold spell. 'Temperatures rising slightly' is about right.

It doesn't bloody matter anyway, the situation changes 4 times a day. Predicting the outcome of next week's atlantic v colder airmass is like trying to get the bullseye with a blunt dart while blindfolded and drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

As for Donegal...We got our share today and the place looks lovely:pac:

I think from looking at things here that the north west might miss out on the action tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The part time shannon radar has gone to bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Mona Lisa! wrote: »
    Hey snowing strong here in Knocklyon for the past hour or more..just measured the snow outside and its now coming in at 11cm...and thats even before tomorrows forecast snowfall...

Just wondering does anyone know what the best route to take is to go up the Dublin Mountains tomorrow for a (safe) look??

From Knocklyon you just need to walk. You won't get near any of the Dublin mountains by car. You won't even get near the Hell fire club car park I'd say and that's only up the road from you. Roads around Rathfarnham and Knocklyon were crazy and that was over 3 hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

Been out twice to take photos - 1st time snow was too heavy and just stuck to lens but got ok ones 2nd time problem now is that they won't upload - just does nothing.

Will have a look again tomorrow

Off to bed now

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Do you think they're authentic? I've been looking at them for ages trying to work them out!

Attachment not found.

looks possible to me, turn right straight in to parking sport then reverse out the opposite way. front wheels get the curve, rear wheels don't ever cross over their tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Good evening gang,

hope you're all keeping well.

Just catching up on posts.

Here in West Limerick its a cold and foggy evening. We had some light snow showers today which stuck ( :D ) and then of all things the council gritted the road twice:eek: Perhaps its their way of apologising for the past three weeks? And there was me thinking that news reports of salt stocks running low and being conserved were accurate:rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing what'll happen over the next 24 hours.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I had pretty much given up for the night but looked out the window to see some flakes floating about... think I'll give them a few minutes and see if they intensify.

At a push I'd say 2cm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

unklerosco wrote: »
    Looks fake... Unless its a unicycle with a car wheel on it:p

You could do that pattern by cleverly reversing off the road, me tinks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Attachment not found.

Probably genuine. Drive in from one direction, stop, then reverse out to the opposite side. Needed to be done with the same amount of lock in each direction, but not hard to do on fresh snow, and there's been plenty of that this evening, albeit not evenly distributed.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

eskimocat wrote: »
    Hey where are all the westies, and the donegal contingent!! whats happening up there?

No snow here since earlier this afternoon, starry starry night so not likely to have anything in the near future... can someone please tell me whats the story now for north Leitrim, when i left around 7pm we were due more snow tomorrow, but seem to be hearing a downgrade for everywhere 'cept along the East! is that right?

So many pages impossible to catch up...

bascially certain places in dublin and kildare have got very heavy snowfall - which was not expected. the main event for them has been tonight:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

snaps wrote: »

As am I,

Hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow to see under a blanket of snow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Has anyone else noticed how many people are looking at this forum? 639!!!!:eek:
    .............and still no snow in Cork..........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

embee wrote: »
    Yay, at long flippin' last, real, proper snow in Tullakeel, Co Louth... going out to take pics (on an iphone, quality will be ****e no doubt)!

002.jpg

It's just bypassing meath

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Oh yeah... bucketing down now, swirling around in the wind. Love it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

As for Donegal...We got our share today and the place looks lovely:pac:

I think from looking at things here that the north west might miss out on the action tomorrow.

Appears to be so.
    North Sligo - very light snow for about 45 mins around 2pm.
    Nothing since and not much sign of it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Blowfish wrote: »
    Only 1cm on the ground in Monkstown and now hail has started.

Monkstown always manages to buck the trend!
    It used to infuriate me when I was a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

malman wrote: »
    As central Meath gets very little snow tonight Louth looks like it getting quite a bit!

Louth here, No snow in my neck of woods yet, not like its been in Dublin. Still a lot of snow left from Wednesday + a few small showers today, minor roads are lethal, most are still pure white, anymore snow this area will be @ standstill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

snaps wrote: »

Definitely seeing a trend as to when it goes down, it seems to be just after midnight every night, particularly at weekend? Maybe the cleaners are hoovering..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

As central Meath gets very little snow tonight Louth looks like it getting quite a bit!

0000.gif

There seems to be one stream over Dublin and another over the Cooley Peninsula/Carlingford Lough but not much over the Boyne valley. So Dublin/Kildare get some as do N Louth/S Armagh/ Monaghan, but not Meath.

Is there any reason for this, or is it only pot luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

junkyard wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed how many people are looking at this forum? 639!!!!:eek:
    .............and still no snow in Cork..........:(

That's nothing there were 685 earlier:eek:................................................................................................................and still no snow in Cork:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Me and the dog checking things out...

2010_0110_Snow4_0007.JPG

Snowfall
    2010_0110_Snow4_0010.JPG

Car not moved since Christmas
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Briano/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]2010_0110_Snow4_0019.JPG

Car driven over Christmas but never fully cleared
    2010_0110_Snow4_0020.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I've just posted in the Aviation thread that with 10mms of snow on the runway at Dublin airport, and continuous showers over the next 24-36hrs, I don't see them being able to keep it open much tomorrow or early Monday. Going to be a pain in the höle for anyone travelling :mad:

EIDW 100000Z 13005KT 080V160 4000 -SHSN FEW007 SCT013CB BKN030 M01/M01 Q1029 TEMPO 0500 BKN002 BKN012CB 10491093 16490699

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Good night from a crystal clear Waterford. Thanks so much to all the regulars here for their info today, even if it has driven me mad to see what I'm missing.

Codladh Sámh lads and ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Went through about 6-7 of the various ensembles there and they all broadly agree that the atlantic will make inroads into the south and southwest at the very least. It is marginal for everywhere else in a line from Galway to Dublin north. Obviously higher ground below this line will differ somewhat by a degree or two (on average) to sea level. All ensembles indicate that the high will reinforce itself somewhat towards the end of the week. This I believe is ME's reason for not putting a definitive end to the cold spell. 'Temperatures rising slightly' is about right.

It doesn't bloody matter anyway, the situation changes 4 times a day. Predicting the outcome of next week's atlantic v colder airmass is like trying to get the bullseye with a blunt dart while blindfolded and drunk.

lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

copacetic wrote: »
    looks possible to me, turn right straight in to parking sport then reverse out the opposite way. front wheels get the curve, rear wheels don't ever cross over their tracks.

That's exactly it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement