Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

It'll be game over come wednesday/thursday

Atlantic back in full swing!

100109_1200_114.png

100109_1200_132.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

When Met E says marginal areas of the South and East coast may see sleet later on Sunday and Monday, what distances do you think they're talking about? How far away would you have to be from the coast to see rain? Are we only talking about a few KMs here?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

CianRyan wrote: »
    Well there is a LOT of snow coming down in Tallaght, Luas almost didn't make it all the way.

Do you think the luas could be affected early tomorrow morning, heading into town. Have to get a luas at 6.40am. Presumably it will be coming from the red cow as i think it's the first one.

can walk if need be, but means I'll have to reset my alarm :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

also, on a brighter note munsterlegend she did mention tonights showers pushing into munster

i have my doubts about that though. they usually die out well before cork anyway. tipp might do well out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

snaps wrote: »

100109_1200_114.png

SSSSSSHHHHHH!!!! don't rain on our parades just yet;)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Mona Lisa!

Hey snowing strong here in Knocklyon for the past hour or more..just measured the snow outside and its now coming in at 11cm...and thats even before tomorrows forecast snowfall...

Just wondering does anyone know what the best route to take is to go up the Dublin Mountains tomorrow for a (safe) look??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

100109_1200_114.png

100109_1200_132.png

that's not what the radio forecast indicated but of course what you say could easily happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Took these bout an hour ago n its still snowing...

101822.JPG

101823.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

first snowman iv made in years.hes guarding my balcony beers now!! i wonder how long he lasts my guess is a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

A final one from me tonight re the south
    Everywhere will see snow while the wind remains directly east
    As soon as the wind veers southeast (early mon) things will get marginal for the south coast.
    So in summary about 10hours of constant snow tomorow for the south, which could well start thawing late monday
    I would however expect a 'no work' day on Monday:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

ixoy wrote: »
    Hmmm I'm not impressed with the amount - and I'm looking right out onto a field. It's nice and white but it doesn't look that deep.
    I can vaguely recall '82 - that was some proper snow depths!

If we get all the snow in the coming days thats been predicted on top of tonights, it would be heading towards 82 levels.

The big difference with 82 was it all arrived in one night.

I suppose the nights still young...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I have 8cm in the side walk way , 12cm in the grass and 10cm out front , again there is more in little drifts about the place.

herself would only hold the tape measure and light for one photo and got cold , will try get more tomorrow :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=101826&d=1263082186

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

100109_1200_114.png

100109_1200_132.png

most of the models are showing the Scandinavian High fighting back, at worst temps will revert back to low single figures by day, there's no support for a return to milder temps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

What is going on in KK. Not a flake since morn :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

A final one from me tonight re the south
    Everywhere will see snow while the wind remains directly east
    As soon as the wind veers southeast (early mon) things will get marginal for the south coast.
    So in summary about 10hours of constant snow tomorow for the south, which could well start thawing late monday
    I would however expect a 'no work' day on Monday:D
    Anddddddd the east coast?? wicklow town here:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

This image is from the RTE website

Do you think they're authentic? I've been looking at them for ages trying to work them out!

0002e5ac-380.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i have my doubts about that though. they usually die out well before cork anyway. tipp might do well out of it.

we'll see. don't give up yet! you'll definitely see some snow tomorrow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I have 8cm in the side walk way , 12cm in the grass and 10cm out front , again there is more in little drifts about the place.

herself would only hold the tape measure and light for one photo and got cold , will try get more tomorrow :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=101826&d=1263082186

Look at it all glistening and white there....sigh....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

wushu wrote: »
    Anddddddd the east coast?? wicklow town here:rolleyes:

and Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Yay, at long flippin' last, real, proper snow in Tullakeel, Co Louth... going out to take pics (on an iphone, quality will be ****e no doubt)!

002.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

How come the airport is still open?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

stopped in Dublin city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sean555 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been said already only just signed in but this is just and i say just starting to resemble 1982 , light showers were predicted that January for the East and more to follow the next day but it began to snow very heavy almost straightaway then and continued for nearly 24 hours , could the same happen again?

Dont get my hopes up. I cry easy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Hey where are all the westies, and the donegal contingent!! whats happening up there?

No snow here since earlier this afternoon, starry starry night so not likely to have anything in the near future... can someone please tell me whats the story now for north Leitrim, when i left around 7pm we were due more snow tomorrow, but seem to be hearing a downgrade for everywhere 'cept along the East! is that right?

So many pages impossible to catch up...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Only 1cm on the ground in Monkstown and now hail has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

dolliemix wrote: »
    This image is from the RTE website

Do you think they're authentic? I've been looking at them for ages trying to work them out!

0002e5ac-380.jpg

Looks fake... Unless its a unicycle with a car wheel on it:p

We've had beautiful snow here in Lucan for ages now. I took off my socks and ran out in the snow, it felt soo good:) then when I was cold enough I legged it upstairs into the ready poured bath I had awaiting me, and sizzled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

As central Meath gets very little snow tonight Louth looks like it getting quite a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

How come the airport is still open?:confused:

looks like north dublin hasn't been as affected as south dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

What time will the front hit the south east coast ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement