Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

malman wrote: »
    significant snowfall in the east + scarcity of grit + exisiting lying slow + continuing freezing tempetures = chaos

I reckon we'll see the army on the streets and roads next week if this event happens. When we are old and decrepit we could be reminising of the big freeze and snow of 2009/2010.

Gormley said Kildare CC called them in !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

jenzz wrote: »
    Hes a prickj anyway !

Bit of a drive for me to Newbridge :-) & my car is stuck

Jenzz!! I see your postcount has increased significantly!! Only 200 more to go until your weatherman pic!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

only way i can see the next page is if i write a post... so here goes.

ok here it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I stocked up on the way home this evening

There was a trolley full of booze, a loaf of bread, some ham and some cheese

The look I got off yer wan at the checkout !:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

LookingFor wrote: »
    Tesco is having shortages? For reals?

The roads aren't THAT bad. People are using them. Surely tesco deliveries can too?

They are THAT bad in some places... we frozen since new years eve & with 10cm snow on top its a mare......

Add in no roads gritted & can understand why Tescos is running low in places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭crushproof

Looks like it's time to stock up on tea bags and Brennans! Roll on Sunday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Gormley said Kildare CC called them in !

Gormley under ferocious pressure. He wants to talk about grit, Miriam wants to talk about the army. He looks out of his depth.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok this is getting really annoying with the page thing! Keep having to post before i can get on next page!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

Leeside wrote: »
    Gormley under ferocious pressure. He wants to talk about grit, Miriam wants to talk about the army. He looks out of his depth.

GOOD... about time... He's a smug Pr~$k....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Bring on Willie:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I can't remember if it was 1961 or 63, but the basis of the scenario was that it snowed on Dec 26th ( we were living in Devon at the time), and then froze hard, and turned to ice, and even less than 200 yards from the south coast, and the influence of all that salt water, the snow/ice was still on the ground till March. Fortunately, there wasn't a lot, but the temperatures stayed so low, even with the effect of the salt water close by, it didn't thaw.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Right, I have figured out what has happened to Boards

The people on the next page that we cannot get to are actually in Sunday and the snow has broken the internets

Im going for some higgs-boson type scenario here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

I think its showing there is a next page but it has not been created.

Oh my god the amount of people on this forum - 556:eek: It must have crashed!

where are the mods when ya need them out building snowmen no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

We need to call in the Army to sort this out. What will happen if Sunday/Monday turns out as predicted. The country will be at a complete stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Wait 2 minutes and 17 seconds and then post. That should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

jenzz wrote: »
    They are THAT bad in some places... we frozen since new years eve & with 10cm snow on top its a mare......

Add in no roads gritted & can understand why Tescos is running low in places

Can only speak for D15... we had snow from new years that never thawed, then the accumulations on top from the snow yesterday etc.

Bad roads around the estates, including Roselawn where Tesco is.

But... the main roads through Blanch have been gritted I think. And people are using these estate roads too... They've not been gritted, but the friction of repeated traffic has made them usable with care.

I dunno, maybe with a lorry there's extra problems on these kinds of road.

TBH I'll just be a bit peeved if there are shortages in my Tesco since we really need to stock up here tomorrow!

• Advertisement

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Right, I have figured out what has happened to Boards

The people on the next page that we cannot get to are actually in Sunday and the snow has broken the internets

Im going for some higgs-boson type scenario here

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Pavements look lethal on the news. Remember watching Bear Grills (Man Vs Wild on Discovery) before (could have been the one set in West of Ireland) where putting a pair of socks on over your shoes gives you great grip on slippy surfaces. Could be only option!

That actually did cross my mind today after i snotted myself was tempted to take the hiking boot off at one stage and walk in the socks Really hurt my back....ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

greenpeter wrote: »
    Bring on Willie:D

Willie got a roasting on Drive Time on Radio One this evening, I dont know who the presenter was, he was standing in for Mary Wilson but bygod he stuck it to Willie and tried his best to force answers out of him but Willie is too long in the tooth now and evaded them every which way, he got fairly smart too!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

well if someone needs some food or coal or whatever in the north cork tha t cant get to a shop area ill be glad to help just pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

yes that seem to be the problem its just getting ready for the first post on the next page,

its happening that fast:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldmillgal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

crushproof wrote: »
    Looks like it's time to stock up on tea bags and Brennans! Roll on Sunday!!!

thanks for reminding me of teabags - will also stock up on bread and milk tomorrow

We need to call in the Army to sort this out. What will happen if Sunday/Monday turns out as predicted. The country will be at a complete stoppage.

Did you hear Gormley on Primetime - he won't bring in the army unless the local authorities want them and they haven't asked so "NO you're not getting them" Talking all this crap about legislation!:D

if it crashed we could not post yet we still can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Willie got a roasting on Drive Time on Radio One this evening, I dont know who the presenter was, he was standing in for Mary Wilson but bygod he stuck it to Willie and tried his best to force answers out of him but Willie is too long in the tooth now and evaded them every which way, he got fairly smart too!

think it was myles dungan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement