Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Weather Discussion - Widespread Snow Tonight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Does the triangle/semi circle indicate being both a cold & warm front?

Thats an occluded front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Had a look at sky's long term forecast. They do forecast that band crossing the country tonight, starting off as rain but snow as it moves inland.
    For rest of week until Friday, just the showers skirting the coast but on Friday, their map showed snow showers over the eastern half on Ireland.

Countrywide Orange alert on Meteoalarm for snow/ice :

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/countryIE.asp?Country=IE&lang=EN&ShowDate=today

"Very cold and frosty today with ice lingering in places. Scattered wintry showers also."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

heavy snow in longford atm

EDIT: holy crap. its sticking to the gritted roads and footpaths with ease. am not looking forward to my trip home to work tonight if it continues

Yr.no forecast for Waterford City, this uses the ECM output I think?

I hope it's right, would be nice to see some snow here, though I don't think a couple of mm would cause too much disruption. :pac:

meteogram.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

Just saw some sat pictures and it looks like coleraine is in for some severe flooding over the next 5 days.
    Possibly the only place in the country that wont see any snow.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

IS anyone seeing any flakes in Kildare / Dublin at all ?

That raintoday intermittent radar is very very annoying !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Above image is our situation today and im wondering is there a similarity with any of the developing polar lows imaged below??
    Answers on a postcard please:D

plqu01k.gif

Here you can identify a Polar Low approaching Scotland's north east shores.
    plsa01.gif

baroclinic_instability.gif

polarlow261103.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

t|nt|n wrote: »
    IS anyone seeing any flakes in Kildare / Dublin at all ?

That raintoday intermittent radar is very very annoying !

Not a thing in Newbridge , although it is cloudy .

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Nothing but Blue clear skies in Kilkenny its freezing cold!! although there looks to be some cloud coming in from my north, which I would guess would be from castlecomer direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Hello from a newbie!

I regularly post on TWO but I always lurk on here and it seems about time I started posting - I feel Northern Ireland gets a bit ignored on some of the UK boards!

Anyway, this polar low potential is fascinating me - the latest warnings for NI from the UKMO really stress the potential:

Overnight rain, sleet and snow will clear southwards early Tuesday and as temperatures fall, widespread ice is likely to form on untreated roads and paths. Further heavy snowfall may then develop across Northern Ireland.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The Polar Low feature should appear just to the north of Scotland at midnight

10010500_0406.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Not a thing in Newbridge , although it is cloudy .

It always feels grey and cloudy down there sure !!! ;):p

Welcome Snowjon.

Took this from the sat 24 radar.

100792.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Su Campu wrote: »
    The 00Z NAE has mostly rainfall for Ireland until tomorrow morning, then the snow starts in earnest.

10010500_0400.gif

10010512_0400.gif

The GFS is a snowier outlook overall. It will be interesting to see which wins out. Don't forget there will be a slight warm front before the cold front, so don't be surprised to see the NAE scenario become reality.

10010421_0406.gif

god no!

what a waste that will be if it starts off as rain but of course after saturday, and as you say given the nature of a warm front, it's not unlikely that it starts off as rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

been lurking here for a while also, now's a good time to unhide myself, certainly looks like a polar low forming between iceland and norway, don't think it's our trough that has been predicted for tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

it was -6.5 degrees this morning in monivea, the snow has been here a week and it still hasnt melted

typhooner wrote: »
    been lurking here for a while also, now's a good time to unhide myself, certainly looks like a polar low forming between iceland and norway, don't think it's our trough that has been predicted for tonight?
    Hi typhooner. Welcome onboard too.
    No it's a separate development. Tonight's activity is finding its way to the North coast from NW scotland at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

snowjon wrote: »
    Hello from a newbie!

I regularly post on TWO but I always lurk on here and it seems about time I started posting - I feel Northern Ireland gets a bit ignored on some of the UK boards!

Anyway, this polar low potential is fascinating me - the latest warnings for NI from the UKMO really stress the potential:

Overnight rain, sleet and snow will clear southwards early Tuesday and as temperatures fall, widespread ice is likely to form on untreated roads and paths. Further heavy snowfall may then develop across Northern Ireland.

Hi SJ. Yes, TWO is naturally a bit biased towards the SE quarter of England, since it has a large population base, I suppose that is inevitable.

As for the polar low - this type of feature always interest me, it is the only way, we in the midlands can get a substantial fall of snow - greater than the usual 3-5 cm's we get most winters. December 2000 is still fresh in my mind....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Su Campu wrote: »
    Oak Park in carlow is only at -3 at 10am, so it must be instrument error, and the lack of reported dewpoint in the PsMETAR below would hint at that.

PsMETAR JOHN 041000Z AUTO 34006KT 9999NDV OVC048/// M12/// 1023 MSL=

PsMETAR OKPK 041000Z AUTO 35004KT 9999NDV NCD M03/M03 1024 MSL=
    Not the first dodgy reading during the past week. Has been N/A for much of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Please let it bypass Roscommon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

morning all - my late night entertainment has the road still covered outside - melted away from the house areas. So whats the Jazz tonight ? snowfest ? or will I do the ironing :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

tucker1971 wrote: »
    Just saw some sat pictures and it looks like coleraine is in for some severe flooding over the next 5 days.
    Possibly the only place in the country that wont see any snow.;)

well weve got snow now!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

3C/Dp-5C atm
    Sunny

If a polar low does form, do you think it could survive long enough to bring snow to the south/southeast? (If it does take the right track). I know these polar lows are known to dissipate quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Temp 4.2 dp-2.5.

Wolfe - Hows OUR new baby ???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Welcome Snowjon.

100792.jpg

Yeah good man thats a better image of it,spin baby spin.
    Good as any from the past (possibly)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snowjon wrote: »
    Hello from a newbie!

welcome! i have noticed that too on nw they ignore many ni users in fact we are rarly mentioned .. they ignore wales alot as well... they should rename it nw for south east england......

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Welcome Snowjon.

When should this reach Ireland? - And also, I assume we need to stay in a NE airflow to benefit from this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement