Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Heavy snow tomorrow night and tuesday according to RTE Weather.. we are very comfortably stocked up at the min so fingers crossed..

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Very bad in north Kerry here. I skidded the car today and ended up in the ditch on the other side of the road.

Luckily there was no oncoming traffic....and the car was fine! But I can tell you I did get a mighty fright!

SR

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looking at the current radar and thick cloud to my north at the moment, could be a couple of snow flurries on the east coast this evening - despite the high pressure?

Gerry Murphy not forecasting any showers tonight but he mentioned the word snow a number of times for tomorrow especially tomorrow night.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Not a bad forecast from Gerry there. I'm sure most people will be happy. :pac:

I wonder if the No Snow Zone of Waterford will remain active this week.
    I haven't seen a single snow flake yet and I have a feeling I won't be seeing one anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Leeside wrote: »
    Gerry Murphy not forecasting any showers tonight but he mentioned the word snow a number of times for tomorrow especially tomorrow night.:)
    He did give a risk of snow showers on North and East coasts this evening

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Leeside wrote: »

Just becuase Gerry Murphy does not forecast it does not mean it won't happen! :D I know pressure is high but there may be a chance of a few light showers imo especially if wind at M2 bouy stays N of E.

BTW have not seen forecast.

12Z ECM, -8c 850 over us Wednesday :

ECM0-72.GIF?03-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Just becuase Gerry Murphy does not forecast it does not mean it won't happen! :D I know pressure is high but there may be a chance of a few light showers imo especially if wind at M2 bouy stays N of E.

BTW have not seen forecast.

Well, by the looks of it on RainToday, Navan is in the firing line for something shortly..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I see on the latest met reports that Dublin airport is already down to -2 as at 18:00, that must be the lowest it has been for the time of day so far?

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Also, the M2 Buoy is down to 4c with a -3.1 dew point.

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

But what use is it without snow....

Good foundations I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

mad DIY wrote: »
    Well, by the looks of it on RainToday, Navan is in the firing line for something shortly..

really?! interesting. are we talking snow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Some showers about alright:
    hiradarzoomv4.pl?map=uk;xtime=18:30;sx=254;sy=290;xw=64;yw=64;places=0;sharp=a;postcode=;pcz=;actime=;prec=y;scale=;sferics=0;metar=;sess=65d7c87f43923a44f5083b46df14b3b7

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

malman wrote: »
    really?! interesting. are we talking snow?

Given how good the dew points are, if anything manages to fall out of the sky, I think it will be snow.

Who knows ? They might know in Drogheda though..

New weather warning :

Weather Warning

Issued at 03 January 2010 - 18:00

Weather Warning

Widespread severe frost Sunday night. Icy conditions in places. A few freezing fog patches also. Scattered wintry showers moving southwards across Ulster and north Connacht late Sunday night or Monday - increasing the risk of icy conditions even where they fall as rain or sleet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Looking at the current radar and thick cloud to my north at the moment, could be a couple of snow flurries on the east coast this evening - despite the high pressure? Fantastic DP of -3.4c here now. Even the M2 bouy has managed a DP of -3c and a temp of only 4c! Wind at M2 bouy seems to have changed from E to ENE over the last while.

I also see that some cloud has made it all the way across the north of the UK and a couple of light showers have popped up in the Morcombe Bay/Blackpool area.

From the Valley 18Z GFS forecast sounding, I'd say the cloud tops are only at about 750hPa (~8500ft) due to warm mid-upper levels, so not quite high enough to give any decent precipitation.

100744.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

been watching that shower look's like it will hit navan and then maybe trim :o
    any reports of snow just north of drogheda?

look's like it fadeing away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

there is light snow in Dublin 20 at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Light snow shower in Dublin 15 at the moment.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

Here's a postcode map that might come in handy for us Dubs over the next few days ;)

http://www.netgear.ie/images/mapDublinPostcodes.gif
    mapDublinPostcodes.gif

One thing I have noticed about RainTodays coverage of Leinster is that there is one radar in the radar composite that is only giving intermittant results, so when it does give a result you see more showers in the frame than when it doesn't, so in the latest frame it hasn't returned a result, so the frame makes it appear that shower heading for Navan has fizzled out. Or has it ? Of course, there may actually be nothing falling from those depicted showers that reaches the ground if the radar is being too sensitive. So only eyewitness reports will confirm what is actually happening.

Edit : It's not showing showers over North Dublin at the moment as reported above, that's probably due the missing radar return

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

well ODDS are northside and EVENS are southside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

ffarrell wrote: »
    Light snow shower in Dublin 15 at the moment.:D

temp has dropped too allot in D15 (from 2 to -2 in 1 hour)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had a few snow grains here landed on the car

I'm between Navan and Kells and I have a slight bit of hail falling. Not visable only know by looking at the car and by feeling a few specks fall.

garytuohy wrote: »
    well ODDS are northside and EVENS are southside

Yes, but take last february for example, then 16, 18, and 24 got pasted...the rest of the evens got a dusting! It can be very localised sometimes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Not a bad forecast from Gerry there. I'm sure most people will be happy. :pac:

I wonder if the No Snow Zone of Waterford will remain active this week.
    I haven't seen a single snow flake yet and I have a feeling I won't be seeing one anytime soon!

I saw one this morning...nearly wet myself with excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Here is my thoughts with regard to snow risk.

Tuesday 1500hrs to Wednesday 2100hrs only.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4500/risksnow.gif

risksnow.gif
    So everything inside the red bracket aint getting snow is that what u mean, since there is no cms im guessing so?

Pangea wrote: »
    So everything inside the red bracket aint getting snow is that what u mean, since there is no cms im guessing so?

Yep, Weathercheck had already emailed that chart to the snow gods, so it's set in stone now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

3-10 cm will do me. :)

• Advertisement

A bit more substantial now. Visable falling hail. Wouldn't call it snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement