Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie Clubs in Dublin Clueless / Confused about their Identity...

• 27-12-2009 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

I'd like to hear back from folk about their opinion on the Indie Club scene in Dublin. In my opinion it has really gone downhill in the last year or so.

Whelan's used to be one of the best clubs in Dublin on a Saturday night. In the last year they have had a variety of DJs that seem completely clueless and one fella in particular who plays tracks that really would be better suited to Break for the Boarder (my second favourite indie club).

Ever since The Globe has begun opening late Rí-Rá has really died a death. There is very little atmosphere in there now and the only nights with a bit of life is when the punters are coked off their heads (Thursdays if memory serves) even though it's free in every night. Again DJs confused and conflicted about their musical identity. Madonna thrown in on an indie night.

Next mini-rant pertains to Hogan's. In fairness this isn't what I would consider a traditional indie club. It's more hip-hop beat or whatever you want to call it (you know, the kind of music the cool cats from the ramp in Trinity used to listen to)... Even within that genre this year has been terrible for the guys on the decks downstairs in Hogan's ("Come back Mr. Moto, all is forgiven"). They are unable to generate a decent atmosphere on the floor, and as soon as they get anything going they change it up and kill the place.

Sin É why have you forsaken mé... Sin É is still good on a decent night. That bushy-top DJ with the semi-shaven beard who doesn't like talking to anyone or taking requests still has a tight set and has a good feel for the crowd. But there has been too many a dud night there this year for them to be left out of the hall of shame. Even bushy-top played 'All the single ladies' one night... no better song to buy with your 30 pieces of silver...

I'd love to get feedback from the common people out there. Anywhere new out there that's good?

If anyone is friendly with these DJs could you tell them that they need no longer sell their souls... he's already in them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

They're all sh1te - the best Dublin Indie club was Dazed - sadly gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

keanooo wrote: »
    Ever since The Globe has begun opening late Rí-Rá has really died a death. There is very little atmosphere in there now and the only nights with a bit of life is when the punters are coked off their heads (Thursdays if memory serves) even though it's free in every night. Again DJs confused and conflicted about their musical identity. Madonna thrown in on an indie night.

Haha, my house mate is one of the dj's on a thursday night in RiRa....... They're not trying to put on a strict indie night that night in fairness....... I stood in on him djing a few weeks ago and he had the place totally rocking, the dance floor was filled the whole night and people were loving the songs he was putting on. He basically changes the mood every hour or so. So he'll end up having an hour of indie, an hour of soul, an hour of rock etc...... throws in alot of more eclectic stuff too that you wouldn't hear...... trys to compromise between pleasing the masses and pleasing himself.....

check out Thomas house, they have whole nights with a particular genre...... anytime i've been there theres been a pretty good atmosphere..... alot of NCAD students hang out there...... not sure what music is on what night........ check it out......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Tenley Clean Pizzeria

Beastieboy wrote: »
    So he'll end up having an hour of indie, an hour of soul, an hour of rock etc......

This kinda thing drives me mad - why even bother? If you try to please everyone you'll end up pleasing no one, except the clowns that wondered in off the street and dont care what he plays anyway.

Its like if someone is asked what kind of music they like and they say "all kinds", what that generally means in real terms is "no kind", ie: the radio or whatever.

Agree about some dj(s) recently coming out with some seriously dodge stuff a few months ago but Whelans is definately still the best at the moment (of what we have), unless theres somewhere better that I dont know about.

Pravda usually has great tunes on a Saturday night, no atmosphere and its not really the kinda place I'd be in for a whole night but yes the music has been to my liking every time ive been on a Saturday. The DJ fella seems sound too.

Tranmission in the Button Factory was the biggest waste of a nightout in ages, pure electro, I dont even know why people refer to this as an indie night.

The Village has gone to the dogs, upstairs anyway. More of this one hour for each genre stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

nm wrote: »

Its like if someone is asked what kind of music they like and they say "all kinds", what that generally means in real terms is "no kind", ie: the radio or whatever.

Agree about some dj(s) recently coming out with some seriously dodge stuff a few months ago but Whelans is definately still the best at the moment (of what we have), unless theres somewhere better that I dont know about.

Yeah, it's either "all kinds" or "R'n'B"... What does R'n'B even mean (to those people)? They might as well just say "I like the crap they play on MTV".

Sorry to hear about your Transmission night out. I actually get depressed when I'm looking forward to something like that and the DJs wreck it... Hence the post.

Do you still think Whelan's is good on Saturday? I've been avoiding it recently because of the amount of low-grade product they've been putting out...

check out Thomas house, they have whole nights with a particular genre...... anytime i've been there theres been a pretty good atmosphere..... alot of NCAD students hang out there...... not sure what music is on what night........ check it out..

Will do. Can you dance there? ('you' as in 'one')

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

This kinda thing drives me mad - why even bother? If you try to please everyone you'll end up pleasing no one, except the clowns that wondered in off the street and dont care what he plays anyway.

Like i said, he had the place totally rocking so i'd say most people would disagree with you.

I think to be honest that you guys are in the minority (probably a large minority but still a minority)........ most people want to hear mainstream hits in nightclubs....... otherwise they'd be playing all indie everynight of the week if there was the demand there..... if you really think theres nothing there to cater for you and you think other people would be into it you should start your own night...... thats how most nights get started! Could be cool too......

Not sure about dancing in the thomas house....... they have a dance floor downstairs but i don't hang out down there so i don't know what its like...... might even be different music down there but i think its the same...... but definitely go. There always seems to be a pretty good buzz there and they generally play great music.......

It hasn't been mentioned before, but obviously theres antics in crawdaddy on a wednesday which for me would be one of the big indie nights in Dublin....... used to go a bit but not really my thing....... obviously theres alot of nice people that go too antics but theres way too many pretentious people go there too......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i'd say most people would disagree with you.

Doubt it.

A good venue/dj set has to have a consistent vibe.

judas101 wrote: »
    Doubt it.

A good venue/dj set has to have a consistent vibe.

Disagree and agree. The sorry fact of the matter is that a lot of people do agree with Beastie. They don't understand music and they don't even understand their own tastes. Even with a crap DJ you still get loads of people dancing no matter what. That's how the DJs get away with it... and they delude themselves into thinking they're doing a good job.

100% agree a good venue/dj set has to have a consistent vibe. Mos' def.

most people want to hear mainstream hits in nightclubs....... otherwise they'd be playing all indie everynight of the week if there was the demand there...

Yes, well I'm not disputing that, that's why 80%+ of your average nightclubs do play chart/pop/whatever. But we're talking specifically here about pubs and nightclubs that are known for, or touted as, being "indie", or specific "indie nights". These are the places and nights which are supposedly specifically meant to be catering for that large minority you speak of. They're apparently failing, which was the OP's whole point.
    It hasn't been mentioned before, but obviously theres antics in crawdaddy on a wednesday which for me would be one of the big indie nights in Dublin....... used to go a bit but not really my thing....... obviously theres alot of nice people that go too antics but theres way too many pretentious people go there too......

Tried Antics aswell, just the once, it was far too young and studenty for me at 28 (average age seemed to be around leaving cert). Although thats just me, if you're younger maybe its a good indie night.

If I could find the time I'd love to start a clubnight.

I've never really thought of Crawdaddy's as a place to go, and mid-week doesn't really suit but I'm going to check out the hilariously named C.U.N.T. (C U Next Tuesday) club there tonight.

The men of 1916 must be turning in their graves...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

"How many people do y'all know out there who only have one style of music in my record collection? Nobody I want to drink beer with."

Yes, DJ should be able to establish a mood, but to say a DJ should try to stick rigidly to one genre... not down with that I'm afraid.

I'd take some old school Madonna over a lot of the parp that passes for "indie" music these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

I've never really thought of Crawdaddy's as a place to go, and mid-week doesn't really suit but I'm going to check out the hilariously named C.U.N.T. (C U Next Tuesday) club there tonight.

it should be good by the sound of it:p, tonight is my first time going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Public Executor

There's a new night starting up in Twisted Pepper at the end of January in Twisted Pepper called Metropolis. It's going to be indie/alternative/progressive/weird **** with loads of sci-fi posters thrown around the places, movies playing on the walls and a video games booth projecting old SNES games. Or so I've been told. I'm sure they'll be promoting it round these parts before too long.

I'd take some old school Madonna over a lot of the parp that passes for "indie" music these days.

I actually ended up going to and staying at Whelan's last night. The music was A1 and they even lit the fires. Great night. All is not lost.

@Frankie, They played 'Borderline' by Madonna which was brilliant. My Madonna reference earlier was more meant to be an example of how mixed up the DJ's styles were that night. Old Madonna was great. I used to love Strictly Handbag...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I wouldnt call Whelans Indie/alternative anymore. Its gone sh*t. I used to go there all the time when in college but since they've done it up its seems to have lost its soul and the music they play on the Weekends is the same as in Flannerys across the road.

Eamon Doranns used to have a cool vibe off it but, alas, it is no more. All the other Indie nights are held in 'trendy' clubs full of pretensious electric picnic,hippy lifestylist type people who think there all cool and alternative but are infact actually not.

Dublins Indie scene seems to be dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

New late club im helping set up in Whelans on Monday nights in January...

Its called Atomic and its gonna have one band (mainly indie rock/alternative) that could be from ireland or england...and then indie DJ for the night...

If anyone has suggestions to what people want from an indie club in the cosy setting of Whelans throw some at us!

line up of the bands is here http://www.myspace.com/atomicwhelansmondays

/plug

Mondays are gonna be hard to push to be honest...its pretty much impossible to find somewhere on a saturday night to put on something

I miss the clubs I used to go to a few years back where you actually feel good about the music being played (without the help of pills etc :rolleyes:)

A lot of the clubs are going downhill and its mainly electro and "lady gaga" music these days. Really hope some places cop on and get some good music goin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

mondays are the new college night out though it seems!i know loads of people who go out mondays,atomic sounds cool shall deffo be checking it out

i think monday night only would draw people who live in the vicinity of town...since there's no nitelinks, it'd cost a fortune for everyone else from Maynooth etc. Its really just a fingers crossed situation I guess:o

well c.u.n.t. was a flop. the name really says it all. i was walking in and some guy grabbed my hood and called me a knacker in front of his friends because they is fur on my hood. i just looked at him and started laughing, im pretty sure he was wearing those tights/jeans and he looked like a spanner. i took no notice of him but as the night went on its all i could think about. everybody seemed to try WAY too hard, what ever to just going out and having fun? the drinks were cheap as long as you like mojito in a bottle and the music was average. in the end it was as big let down, oh well. the search goes on.

you can get pricks like that alright. sneery eejits

• Advertisement

mattfender wrote: »
    you can get pricks like that alright. sneery eejits

you will always find a few wherever you go but this place was packed to the rafters with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

It was a late contender but i think we have our winner for most ridiculous statement of 2009
    Its like if someone is asked what kind of music they like and they say "all kinds", what that generally means in real terms is "no kind", ie: the radio or whatever. .

TheBandit wrote: »
    It was a late contender but i think we have our winner for most ridiculous statement of 2009

Joined by an early entry for the most irrelevant post of 2010. Do you have a point? Indie clubs are for a specific or generally specific taste or musical flavour, not a mix n match or "a bit of everything".

If you have a point, let me know what it is. If not, dont quote me in your nonsensical rambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was in The Oak for the first time in ages on New Years Eve - not my choice, but it's where the crowd went. Anyway, the music was great until about 30 minutes after midnight when the DJ - a hilarious looking Mighty Boosh rip-off - started playing terrible dance music. The place cleared out in 20 minutes flat.

Forgot about The Oak. Havent been in about 3 years I reckon, music did used to be bang on mostly but the smell in the place was shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

wheres all the good looking chicks gone?...have'nt seen a stunner in an indie club in over 6 months...ratio has gone to 10:1 guys :rolleyes:....here is a brief analysis based an exhaustive survey conducted by 50 highly trained rat monkeys....

bruxelles = gay bar
    whelans = jock sausage factory peppered with the odd posing (im a rebel but ill be working in the bank next year) pete doherty wannabe, a 'large' side helping of drunk mingers with extra piss
    globe/rira = ranges from 'im loike sophisticated and hip me loike' to 'hi im janine, this is my friend dolores'...we are both 103 and are NOT, repeat not bitter about the divorce'
    hogans = office dorks and pre jurassic furniture
    eamonn dorans = tumble weed...like an western saloon with no people ...
    The Oak = " Red alert !, place the gas mask over your face and breath normally"
    The Mezz = " Red alert !, place the gas mask over your face and breath normally"
    Fibbers = " Red alert !, place the gas mask over your face and breath normally"
    sibeen = " Red alert !, place the gas mask over your face and breath normally"
    Dakota = "that'll be 200 euro please for the two pints......."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

mattfender wrote: »
    Requests for songs will be met with swift hostility: please do not try and turn us into a catatonic state with your woeful taste of toonage.

That's probably not the best thing to have on your myspace to attract customers :eek:

What about Trashed in ALT? That's a decent indie night.

Few things yous should remember when complaining about DJs at indie nights. Most DJs get into DJing with dance music, which is what DJing is for, so they won't be as into indie as yous are.

Also, stop complaining about someone playing dance music at a club. You're supposed to play dance music at a club. That's what a club is. Ireland is strange in the way that most clubs play either shite chart, or shite Coppers music, with only a few dance nights, whereas most clubs in Europe will be playing good dance.

TBH pure indie doesn't really have much place in clubs, that's why there isn't a huge selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Muffin top

I actually ended up going to and staying at Whelan's last night. The music was A1 and they even lit the fires. Great night. All is not lost.

@Frankie, They played 'Borderline' by Madonna which was brilliant. My Madonna reference earlier was more meant to be an example of how mixed up the DJ's styles were that night. Old Madonna was great. I used to love Strictly Handbag...

Really glad to hear this; Whelan's was one of my favourite places to go until quite recently.

I think the whole alternative scene has lost it's way slightly; being different for difference sake or to sneer at others. It's "cool" to be alternative so alot of people aren't even into the music their there just to pose ... alternative chic!

Haven't been to theBernard Shaw in quite awhile either; that can be good.

I also agree that there is alot of repetition aswell; I'm not sure if this is for crowd pleasing purposeperhaps, but, it would be nice to hear some originality or blasts from the on a night as opposed to "pop"indie

That's probably not the best thing to have on your myspace to attract customers :eek:

What about Trashed in ALT? That's a decent indie night.

Few things yous should remember when complaining about DJs at indie nights. Most DJs get into DJing with dance music, which is what DJing is for, so they won't be as into indie as yous are.

Haha sorry that wasnt me who wrote that :pac: my mate is s smart one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Metropolis

Hi guys,

Public Executor mentioned it on the last page that we're starting a new club night. It's called Metropolis and will be held in Twisted Pepper on Wed 27th Jan. I won't repeat what I said in the other thread, suffice to say we want to create something a little different with a side order of indie too.

Well, not too indie...

Advertisement