Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie Clubs in Dublin Clueless / Confused about their Identity...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

keanooo wrote: »
    That sounds suspiciously like a request... If Grimey has any musical integrity he will never play any of those bands at his club.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to thanks everyone for their contributions to this thread. At this stage I've got a fairly wide range of opinion on the topic and I'm glad I brought it up. It's great to hear that some people feel the same way about our would-be indie clubs. I also take on board that for many more Jay-Z is the way forward and that the rest of us just have to move with the times.

My particular bug-bear is about the way Whelan's has gone. I'm going to print this thread out and post it to their management and to their Saturday night DJ(s). I'll give them right of reply and when (if?) I hear back from them I'll post the response. If anyone has any other suggestions just mail me here or PM me (or do it yourself).

A bit off-topic but I'd also like to add that I have found my own spiritual home at Dancehall Styles on Sundays. The DJs also do a Reggae Fever night on Saturdays at Le Cirk. It's not your usual jaded-type reggae scene and I'd recommend it to all.

Peace Out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

My particular bug-bear is about the way Whelan's has gone. I'm going to print this thread out and post it to their management and to their Saturday night DJ(s). I'll give them right of reply and when (if?) I hear back from them I'll post the response. If anyone has any other suggestions just mail me here or PM me (or do it yourself).

Haha we've shockingly similar ideas - I posted a link to this thread on their facebook page already a couple of weeks ago (it was either that or turn up with printed signs and posters saying **** TUNE to stage some sort of protest in front of bigred in the dj box).. anyway, it was duly ignored :pac:
    Whelans.. it served me well for a long time but alas the dream is well and truly over at this point, on Saturdays anyway.

Went to Propaganda in the Academy there last Saturday, I can only say the night was a raging success. Got there about 11 and started off in the big bar on the middle floor, it was packed but comfortably so, music was bang on for my tastes the atmosphere was good, happy days. They opened the main room at midnight and it too was packed by about half 12, mainly britpop like tunes, again crowd was good, at times the dancefloor almost erupted into a moshpit as the night wore on, good craic.
    Its very big and bright and kinda corporate feeling but it was the best night of its kind i've been to in a long long time and its about time Dublin got something like it.

Bints in the cloakroom for some reason refused to accept my cloakroom ticket (that they gave me) at the end of the night which caused me all sorts of annoying grief but otherwise its all good, great launch night.. i'll be back again, hope they can keep it up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to thanks everyone for their contributions to this thread. At this stage I've got a fairly wide range of opinion on the topic and I'm glad I brought it up. It's great to hear that some people feel the same way about our would-be indie clubs. I also take on board that for many more Jay-Z is the way forward and that the rest of us just have to move with the times.

A bit off-topic but I'd also like to add that I have found my own spiritual home at Dancehall Styles on Sundays. The DJs also do a Reggae Fever night on Saturdays at Le Cirk. It's not your usual jaded-type reggae scene and I'd recommend it to all.

Peace Out.

To be a stick in the mud, please clear it with all posters before you mail anything to anyone. It's all well and good posting on the internet but when you push it in someones face it becomes another matter. Also some poster may choose their words differently if they knew this was going to happen.

I'll send the thread off on Monday. If any poster doesn't want their post included, just let me know and I'll delete it.

lordgoat wrote: »
    To be a stick in the mud, please clear it with all posters before you mail anything to anyone. It's all well and good posting on the internet but when you push it in someones face it becomes another matter. Also some poster may choose their words differently if they knew this was going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭karlm37

i recommend checkin out propaganda in d academy every saturday nite, had a savage nite at d launch last week!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Just wanted to throw in my two cents. I arrived in Dublin eight years ago and became a devoted Whelan's regular. Then, as far as I knew, it was the only show in town for decent music, though I did go to Helter Shelter a few times and it was good. I noticed a change in Whelan's about three years ago. "Indie" became a lot more popular and the place got really busy, too busy. It lost its soul. I felt too old at Antic (at 24). I went to the Friday club night at the Academy a number of times and it was always awful, for some reason. We drank ourselves silly trying to compensate. Thomas Reeds was fun for a while but the crowd was so small and the music got formulaic. By now I've given up on Dublin night-life. At 27, I'm hanging up the night time boots. Good to know I'm not missing anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

I'd like to hear back from folk about their opinion on the Indie Club scene in Dublin. In my opinion it has really gone downhill in the last year or so.

Whelan's used to be one of the best clubs in Dublin on a Saturday night. In the last year they have had a variety of DJs that seem completely clueless and one fella in particular who plays tracks that really would be better suited to Break for the Boarder (my second favourite indie club).

Ever since The Globe has begun opening late Rí-Rá has really died a death. There is very little atmosphere in there now and the only nights with a bit of life is when the punters are coked off their heads (Thursdays if memory serves) even though it's free in every night. Again DJs confused and conflicted about their musical identity. Madonna thrown in on an indie night.

Next mini-rant pertains to Hogan's. In fairness this isn't what I would consider a traditional indie club. It's more hip-hop beat or whatever you want to call it (you know, the kind of music the cool cats from the ramp in Trinity used to listen to)... Even within that genre this year has been terrible for the guys on the decks downstairs in Hogan's ("Come back Mr. Moto, all is forgiven"). They are unable to generate a decent atmosphere on the floor, and as soon as they get anything going they change it up and kill the place.

Sin É why have you forsaken mé... Sin É is still good on a decent night. That bushy-top DJ with the semi-shaven beard who doesn't like talking to anyone or taking requests still has a tight set and has a good feel for the crowd. But there has been too many a dud night there this year for them to be left out of the hall of shame. Even bushy-top played 'All the single ladies' one night... no better song to buy with your 30 pieces of silver...

I'd love to get feedback from the common people out there. Anywhere new out there that's good?

If anyone is friendly with these DJs could you tell them that they need no longer sell their souls... he's already in them.

Yeah, most places have lost something indeed. I find those kinds of places, for example, something like Pravda (which might have the right idea) has too many NME new music indie kids on the decks - it sounds dreadfully samey and vapid. Reads has really gone to the dogs - I used to have fun in there and the dj took most requests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

Just wanted to throw in my two cents. I arrived in Dublin eight years ago and became a devoted Whelan's regular. Then, as far as I knew, it was the only show in town for decent music, though I did go to Helter Shelter a few times and it was good. I noticed a change in Whelan's about three years ago. "Indie" became a lot more popular and the place got really busy, too busy. It lost its soul. I felt too old at Antic (at 24). I went to the Friday club night at the Academy a number of times and it was always awful, for some reason. We drank ourselves silly trying to compensate. Thomas Reeds was fun for a while but the crowd was so small and the music got formulaic. By now I've given up on Dublin night-life. At 27, I'm hanging up the night time boots. Good to know I'm not missing anything!

I completely echo those sentiments. Whelans really lost it - the crowds doubled and the sense of the place got lost.
    I'm finding I don't enjoy my weekends as much anymore - was in Reads last Friday. Really dreadful. Plus the last few times I was in there there were a rash of quite threatening types. Doesn't really give off a good atmosphere anymore.

I completely echo those sentiments. Whelans really lost it - the crowds doubled and the sense of the place got lost.
    I'm finding I don't enjoy my weekends as much anymore - was in Reads last Friday. Really dreadful. Plus the last few times I was in there there were a rash of quite threatening types. Doesn't really give off a good atmosphere anymore.
    Janey, threatening types. I wasn't sure how much of it had to do with just being older and going out being less exciting but I think it's more than that. There seems to be a consensus, both on boards and among my friends. A replacement to cater for the folks who loved the old Whelan's would be great. On a side note, a lot of the indie clubs that have come along in its place have been cliquey/poor for the mingling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 nicbel76

Thomas Reads went all wrong since a mob of nme wannabees took over last year, for a 2/3 years period the place (with high and lows) offered the highest standard of indierock tunes around despite playing requests. In my opinion there would be a few small central venues with a potential (i.e Bruxelles downstairs or Doyles) but pity nobody comes up in with a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mrs.O'C

Solas has a good DJ.I want the old Whelans back though.And Sin E still has it. RiRa was rubbish last Saturday night though. THay didn't play The Cure once!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

karlm37 wrote: »
    i recommend checkin out propaganda in d academy every saturday nite, had a savage nite at d launch last week!!:D

Yeah, my gig in the Twisted Pepper really suffered due to their opening night on Saturday. I'm all for it, but perhaps they could change their website and not include Dublin as being part of the UK..

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

nm wrote: »
    Its like if someone is asked what kind of music they like and they say "all kinds", what that generally means in real terms is "no kind", ie: the radio or whatever.

Sorry to quote out of context, but well said. Drives me mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Any recommendations for a pub on Sunday?

What are you looking for in the pub? A quiet pint? Sports? City Centre? I like the Library Bar but it might be a bit quiet for the some. And the Schoolhouse in Ballsbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I was in Whelan's at a gig a few weeks back. Great music, went into the main bar afterwards and they were playing Paddy Casey.

F*ck off with that sh*te. Went back out to the venue where the DJ was playing a brilliant eclectic mix of stuff. Stayed out there for fear of being assaulted with "anyone can be a star/wash a car/eat a bar/play to par etc etc etc"

Gack! What right minded person thinks anyone wants to hear that muck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I was in Whelan's at a gig a few weeks back. Great music, went into the main bar afterwards and they were playing Paddy Casey.

F*ck off with that sh*te. Went back out to the venue where the DJ was playing a brilliant eclectic mix of stuff. Stayed out there for fear of being assaulted with "anyone can be a star/wash a car/eat a bar/play to par etc etc etc"

Gack! What right minded person thinks anyone wants to hear that muck?

Not a massive fan of Paddy Casey but I would reckon a good few people in Whelans would like to hear that stuff, sure he plays and drinks there a lot, a lot of his fans would be going there too. Rather hear that in the bar than R&B or some dance ****e anyway.

niallo24 wrote: »
    Not a massive fan of Paddy Casey but I would reckon a good few people in Whelans would like to hear that stuff, sure he plays and drinks there a lot, a lot of his fans would be going there too. Rather hear that in the bar than R&B or some dance ****e anyway.

I can think of several R&B tracks I'd rather here than Paddy Casey. Sorry but I don't give two f*cks if he drinks there, the man is a terrible musician. If he was from another country you would never be hearing his uninspired whinings in a supposed renowned music venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I can think of several R&B tracks I'd rather here than Paddy Casey. Sorry but I don't give two f*cks if he drinks there, the man is a terrible musician. If he was from another country you would never be hearing his uninspired whinings in a supposed renowned music venue.

They've been playing Paddy Casey for years, its hardly new. Almost expected. R&B songs, now that is just moving in the complete wrong direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Been to propaganda before. Really enjoyed it, as a poster said earlier in the thread; it really is what Dublin was lacking. I recommend to those who haven't that you check it out this Saturday!

niallo24 wrote: »
    They've been playing Paddy Casey for years, its hardly new.

I never said it was new. Just said it was sh*t and they should be ashamed of themselves for doing it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

His voice in person is nearly as annoying as his music

Here, I want to stand up for Paddy here. I used to go to school with him and bumped into him a couple of years ago. I obviously knew 'Saints and Sinners' (which, for what it's worth, I think is a really good song) but I didn't know he had written it as I had never seen a picture of 'Paddy Casey' and he went under a different, Irish name in school. I asked him what he was up to and he said a bit of music... I didn't pursue it too much because I was actually wondering how he could possibly be making a living out of that... But basically he didn't let on he was successful and we just talked about school a bit. It was only afterwards that my friends asked me did I know 'who' that was. I liked him in school and I liked him then.

How melodious is your voice DigiGal?

As for you Anono... typical "big man at the keyboard" syndrome. Get a life yourself before you start slating what someone else is doing with theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Here, I want to stand up for Paddy here. I used to go to school with him and bumped into him a couple of years ago. I obviously knew 'Saints and Sinners' (which, for what it's worth, I think is a really good song) but I didn't know he had written it as I had never seen a picture of 'Paddy Casey' and he went under a different, Irish name in school. I asked him what he was up to and he said a bit of music... I didn't pursue it too much because I was actually wondering how he could possibly be making a living out of that... But basically he didn't let on he was successful and we just talked about school a bit. It was only afterwards that my friends asked me did I know 'who' that was. I liked him in school and I liked him then.

How melodious is your voice DigiGal?

Not saying Paddy isnt a nice guy, a friend of mine played bass for him. thats how I was introduced, at their album launch in Crawdaddy, my friend was ahrrassing him and he wasnt lapping it up at all he seemed shy and embarrassed, he didnt sit in the VIP balcony but with the rest of us down the back by the bar., talked to him a few times, he is a nice guy and definitely doesnt think he is brilliant, but his voice does annoy me, i heard him live and it wasnt my cup of tea at all., his musical ability isnt too bad tho I mean he managed to score support to Pearl Jam as i recall, and had my friends support him in the olympia ...

he actually lived around the corner from me, went to school with my uncle, you probably know him too. They used to play together a bit, my mum actually babysat him at one point,which he was a bit embarrassed a bit when I told him, but still his voice does get on my nerves, not his fault obviously but that is still my opinon.....i dont like how he sings, im sure you wouldnt like plenty of bands i am friends with,
    Im sorry if I offended you or if it came across nasty which i guess it did, when i read back over it but i just dont like how he sings live...

I went to Whelan's for the first time in over a year last night and thought I'd do a field report.

I got in about 11.20. It is still ten euro after 10.30 which I found surprising... I think it will be a fiver by the end of the year.

The place was fairly empty at that stage. The band that were gigging earlier were still up on stage milking it. They weren't even playing, just taking forever to wrap up their cables etc. "Back in the day" the latest the disco started was quarter to eleven.

Went up to the smoking area... empty and so was the gig/bar area upstairs.

Things got going about half twelve and the crowd picked up.

The DJ is still useless. It's the same fella who played last time I was there. He played some good tracks but the music is all over the place and there's no cohesion to his sets. You never really get taken away by the music at any stage because there are too many dodgy tunes that kill the emerging vibe. Again it's not close to strictly indie. Soul and other genres hotchpotched together.

There were a few Ramones and Che Guevara t-shirts floating around the place as is usual (and some toss-pot with a Morrissey t-shirt and hat). I still find it funny that hot D4 girls now go to Whelan's... but there you go. I keep waiting for them to stop doing Reese Witherspoon/Legally Blonde impersonations; but apparenty they aren't taking the pi$$.

That blonde Swedish (?) girl that is always there wasn't there... maybe she's given up?

Overall a good night though. The music isn't right which is a pity. I wish the manager or whoever would get a hold of the situation, because it's still a brilliant venue.

I went to Whelan's for the first time in over a year last night and thought I'd do a field report.

I got in about 11.20. It is still ten euro after 10.30 which I found surprising... I think it will be a fiver by the end of the year.

The place was fairly empty at that stage. The band that were gigging earlier were still up on stage milking it. They weren't even playing, just taking forever to wrap up their cables etc. "Back in the day" the latest the disco started was quarter to eleven.

Went up to the smoking area... empty and so was the gig/bar area upstairs.

Things got going about half twelve and the crowd picked up.

The DJ is still useless. It's the same fella who played last time I was there. He played some good tracks but the music is all over the place and there's no cohesion to his sets. You never really get taken away by the music at any stage because there are too many dodgy tunes that kill the emerging vibe. Again it's not close to strictly indie. Soul and other genres hotchpotched together.

There were a few Ramones and Che Guevara t-shirts floating around the place as is usual (and some toss-pot with a Morrissey t-shirt and hat). I still find it funny that hot D4 girls now go to Whelan's... but there you go. I keep waiting for them to stop doing Reese Witherspoon/Legally Blonde impersonations; but apparenty they aren't taking the pi$$.

That blonde Swedish (?) girl that is always there wasn't there... maybe she's given up?

Overall a good night though. The music isn't right which is a pity. I wish the manager or whoever would get a hold of the situation, because it's still a brilliant venue.

That's great. Did the majority of people there look like they were having a good time? Even if they were from D4 (which has fukc all to do with anything, neither does wearing a hat btw). If it bothers you, that my friend is your problem.

I go to whelans now and again, and you know what you're getting. A decent crowd full of generally nice people. You'll like some of the music and you'll dislike some of it.

If you really want you can let things get to you and come post about it on boards.

lordgoat wrote: »
    That's great. Did the majority of people there look like they were having a good time? Even if they were from D4 (which has fukc all to do with anything, neither does wearing a hat btw). If it bothers you, that my friend is your problem.

I go to whelans now and again, and you know what you're getting. A decent crowd full of generally nice people. You'll like some of the music and you'll dislike some of it.

If you really want you can let things get to you and come post about it on boards.

On the floor they didn't appear to be enjoying themselves; elsewhere, yes they were (as did I). The general consensus about the music was that it could be better.

I have absolutely nothing against D4 heads. In fact I generally find their manners exceed those of other Dublin post codes. It's just funny to see the stereotypical D4 girls in Whelan's. It is a change I embrace.

I don't really understand the point you're making in the last line. What is boards meant to be for?

On the floor they didn't appear to be enjoying themselves; elsewhere, yes they were (as did I). The general consensus about the music was that it could be better.

I have absolutely nothing against D4 heads. In fact I generally find their manners exceed those of other Dublin post codes. It's just funny to see the stereotypical D4 girls in Whelan's. It is a change I embrace.

I don't really understand the point you're making in the last line. What is boards meant to be for?

My point was try to ignore the things that piss you off and be grateful you had a good night, cos we've all prob had plenty of **** nights! But if you don't have a good night come in and tell us why!

The music can always be better!

• Advertisement

Perhaps they didn't play enough Paddy Casey for it to be a really great night, eh keanooo?

I only read your comment from early in the year there accusing me of being a 'big man at the keyboard'. Hilarious.

I don't give a flying shanghai rat's if you went to school with Paddy Casey and whether he's the loveliest guy in the world who nurses orphaned puppies back to health in his spare time. All I'm saying is his music is rubbish - I'm terribly terribly sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities.

But do fly on to personal attacks about me if it makes you feel better. You will notice that I said nothing bad about Senor Casey himself, merely about his music.

Hilarious stuff though.

Advertisement