Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Indie Clubs in Dublin Clueless / Confused about their Identity...

245

Comments



  • Try PUNCH! in the Good Bits


    Free Drink lads.....!



    Also I'm loking into starting a proper indie night this summer, I'll post here, see if I can get a decent crowd. I had a pretty successful one in Radio City before it went all ****e.




  • Few things yous should remember when complaining about DJs at indie nights. Most DJs get into DJing with dance music, which is what DJing is for, so they won't be as into indie as yous are.

    Also, stop complaining about someone playing dance music at a club. You're supposed to play dance music at a club. That's what a club is. Ireland is strange in the way that most clubs play either shite chart, or shite Coppers music, with only a few dance nights, whereas most clubs in Europe will be playing good dance.

    TBH pure indie doesn't really have much place in clubs, that's why there isn't a huge selection.

    mmm, not necassarily, personally I started djing indie music in the likes of Dorans, Whelans, isaac butt and moved into playing a bit of everything. I like some dance but mostly listen to american/alt-pop/indie and due to the number of people posting on this and similar threads there is a demand for decent alternative club nights. Why is that so bad? I would say a club should play music for dancing rather than strictly 'dance music'
    cheers




  • sweetie wrote: »
    mmm, not necassarily, personally I started djing indie music in the likes of Dorans, Whelans, isaac butt and moved into playing a bit of everything. I like some dance but mostly listen to american/alt-pop/indie and due to the number of people posting on this and similar threads there is a demand for decent alternative club nights. Why is that so bad? I would say a club should play music for dancing rather than strictly 'dance music'
    cheers

    Obviously some DJs will start with other music, but it's fair to say that the majority start with dance. I've no objection with indie nights, and I enjoy them the odd time, but I'm just explaining the reason that there are so few, and why they're 'so commercial and full of dance music' is that dance music is the most natural music for clubs.




  • Muffin top wrote: »
    Really glad to hear this; Whelan's was one of my favourite places to go until quite recently.

    I think the whole alternative scene has lost it's way slightly; being different for difference sake or to sneer at others. It's "cool" to be alternative so alot of people aren't even into the music their there just to pose ... alternative chic!

    Actually Muffin, I went to Whelan's a good bit over Christmas and it was really good. 8 out of 10 most nights; but they let themselves down on Saturday which used to be their marquee night. DJ decides to play soul for about 3/4s of an hour... and then eventually moves onto some half-decent indie stuff. I thought there was a change of DJ, but no, he said he wants to 'mix things up a bit' to keep the club alive. He should be up for manslaughter because he's killing it. Saturdays just aren't the same. I'd be happy to hit Whelan's mid-week but from now on Saturdays are going to be Sin É.

    For anyone into reggae/ragga there's a club called Dancehall Styles in The Button Factory on Sunday which is dead authentic. Great for a good night of dancing and music.




  • I will give my spiritual home a second look so! It's true about Saturdays the whole night has an odd vibe. I really wished they would mix it up ala Ramones, Bowie, Doors, stranglers, Velvet Underground as opposed to constantly playing the Smyths and the same AC/DC song repeatedly; and then obviously there's all the up to date stuff to play aswell.

    Sin é; I love the DJ with the crazy hair. It takes awhile to fill up but, i've had many a good night there.


  • Advertisement


  • Holding off the music for a mo...

    are drinks promos important?




  • They're not the main attraction, but they're certainly the tie-breaker.




  • I think it's a good idea for dj to mix up the music in night clubs occasionally and not just play constant indie. It's been a long time since I've been in whelans on a saturday night but I used to work in the cloakroom years ago and personally I got sick of hearing the same 10 year old indie tunes being churned out constantly. I could set my watch by the tunes. I loved the music when I started there first but now I'm actually still not able to listen to the stone roses and the pixies without feeling a little queasy. I only worked there for 3 months.
    I used to see the same people flocking there every weekend. and that's fair enough, if that's what your in to. But I suppose what started to grate for me was the fact that for a supposedly alternative club that was all about the music, the choice of music and the customers listening to it were actually very conservative. if any djs tried to put on anything different, like even the stooges or moldy peaches for example, there'd be people up complaining going "Where's I am the resurrection?".
    I actually like it when djs have an hour of soul music or something like that thrown in. it makes it more interesting. what i don't like is when a dj throws on a soul song, followed by a heavy metal song, followed by a reggae song. that sort of random nonsense. you might as well just put an ipod on shuffle for the night.
    And nm, I'd have to agree that saying that you like "all kinds" of music means you don't like music is a pretty ridiculous statement. I would class myself as someone who likes all kinds of music. And that's because there is no genre that I'd completely dismiss (bar maybe country and western and that dance to tipperary irish clubland stuff, whatever you call it). When I go home at night, i'm probably gonna listen to metalcore, drum and bass, hip hop, northern soul, maybe some indie. I couldn't listen to the one type of music all the time and I'm not really sure how people do and not get bored.
    although, having said all this: if i go to a drum and bass night and then find out they're playing dubstep for the night it's incredibly disappointing so I suppose I can see where the op is coming from from that angle.




  • WhiteRob, I'm not sure you're getting the thrust of our argument. We're not complaining about clubs playing different kinds of music during a night. If they want to do that then that's well and good... and let the people who frequent those clubs enjoy the music. However, some clubs are dedicated to a particular genre. Before I discovered Whelan's I had tried a load of different clubs in town. Though I had some good nights out I never really found a place that clicked with me. To be honest I didn't realise there was such a thing as an indie club and that they played the kind of music I like. Whelan's was a place that resonated with me and the people that went there were really really into the night. I know loads of foreigners who have gone there and thought the atmosphere completely unique.

    They were probably a bit extreme in that they never varied it at all and I doubt if I would have enjoyed working in the cloakroom for 3 months solid. Look at the place now though... The (Saturday at least) nights have lost their soul. They still get a crowd but that's just because the competition is so weak. They'll never get what they had back at this stage because DJs don't even understand what they had; and I'm sure management are too detached from the situation to even realise that the place is slowly dying.

    I'm with nm on the "all kinds" argument for what it's worth. It doesn't mean we don't like some of the great songs from (say) soul or classical music it's just that we understand the type of music that speaks to and for us.




  • Dont think anybody has mention it but Doyles??

    Great 'indie' DJ there the odd Fri nite and its central and great mix of crowd!


  • Advertisement


  • Dont think anybody has mention it but Doyles??

    Great 'indie' DJ there the odd Fri nite and its central and great mix of crowd!

    if you are 17-18 in first year.....




  • keanooo wrote: »
    WhiteRob, I'm not sure you're getting the thrust of our argument. We're not complaining about clubs playing different kinds of music during a night. If they want to do that then that's well and good... and let the people who frequent those clubs enjoy the music. However, some clubs are dedicated to a particular genre. Before I discovered Whelan's I had tried a load of different clubs in town. Though I had some good nights out I never really found a place that clicked with me. To be honest I didn't realise there was such a thing as an indie club and that they played the kind of music I like. Whelan's was a place that resonated with me and the people that went there were really really into the night. I know loads of foreigners who have gone there and thought the atmosphere completely unique.

    They were probably a bit extreme in that they never varied it at all and I doubt if I would have enjoyed working in the cloakroom for 3 months solid. Look at the place now though... The (Saturday at least) nights have lost their soul. They still get a crowd but that's just because the competition is so weak. They'll never get what they had back at this stage because DJs don't even understand what they had; and I'm sure management are too detached from the situation to even realise that the place is slowly dying.

    I'm with nm on the "all kinds" argument for what it's worth. It doesn't mean we don't like some of the great songs from (say) soul or classical music it's just that we understand the type of music that speaks to and for us.

    i haven't been to the night club in whelans in a long time. i do remember being kind of shocked at how poppy the music was the last satuday night i was in the village. I suppose maybe the reason for this is that what's classed as indie music is a bit more wide reaching these days. calvin harris and la roux are considered indie, played a lot on mtv 2 and hyped up by the nme.

    I suppose whelans are trying to keep themselves current. Not to harp on about it but when I was working there, there was one particular aging punk(early 40s)/music journalist djing thereon a regular basis who pretty much didn't play anything from after 1995. the guy took it as matter of fact that God Save the Queen was the greatest song ever written. Personally, I don't think it's a great mindset for a club dj to have. And I did actually start to think there was something unhealthy about listening to theexact same set of songs 3 or 4 times a week for years on end. and that seeing as how the guy was meant to be a punk, wasn't this sort of conservatism antithesis to the original movement.

    I do remember the first time i went in there thinking it's great to hear all these old grunge/punk tunes again and how it was so much better than the crappy commercial clubs that i'd been constantly exposed to down in the midlands. but towards the end the lack of variety really started to get to me and I did start thinking "Well at least, the crappy commercial clubs change their playlist more than every 10 years!"

    i guess by the end I realised how subjective music really is and how there is no such thing as definitive classics. it also got me into exploring other genres of music outside of indie

    /rant

    I have a few friends who are really big into northern soul and organise a club for themselves once a month and try and organise dj spots in any bars around dublin that they can. Maybe you should consider the same. rent out a function room that plays the type of music you want to hear. maybe somewhere like the mezz in the twisted pepper for example




  • Obviously some DJs will start with other music, but it's fair to say that the majority start with dance. I've no objection with indie nights, and I enjoy them the odd time, but I'm just explaining the reason that there are so few, and why they're 'so commercial and full of dance music' is that dance music is the most natural music for clubs.

    Hi Electrogrimey,

    Another pro DJ disagreeing with you here :) I've been gigging for the last (aww sh!t im getting old) 13 years, both with agencies and for myself and think you're making a very sweeping statement there. I started out when dance music was massive but played all sorts right from the start. Have you never been to a hip hop, jazz or a rock club? If you mostly frequent dance clubs I can see why you would think that but I disagree with you on the "natural" thing but imo its just one genre.

    Anywhoo yeah, indie nights :)

    I don't do a "proper" indie night (im sure purists would slate it but I like playing poppier stuff like elastica, pulp etc too, its saturday night after all :) ) but I do get to play good music and the crowd arent arsey. Pop in for a pint if your around and check it out if you fancy it :)http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?gid=203507300014&ref=ts

    ps. the facebook page sucks cos im a lazy sh*t - sorry :o but you'll get the idea ;)




  • One thign noticed over the years is that people in Dublin think that Dublin is actually bigger than it is. Nobody will run something that fits into one category as not everybody has group of mates that will consistently be interested in going to an indie only night all the time.

    Variety is the spice of life. IF your really goign to be an 'elitist' about it then get a 6pack from the offo and sit in with your ipod and have your own silent disco!




  • Our club in Whelans is starting up this coming Monday if anyone wants to check it out.

    The Minutes will be jamming it out onstage and Oran from Ri Ra, Pravda and Thomas house on the decks till late.

    And also would like to hear feedback since its the first night! :pac:

    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=215703121816




  • Ijust started repping for Punch! In The Good Bits for anyone who is interested.

    PM me full name to get on the cheaplist.

    Its doors at 11pm.
    Have a look here (feel free to mail me any time during the week for next Sat too)

    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=250315373667&ref=nf&v=info#/event.php?eid=250269635779&index=1




  • mattfender wrote: »
    Our club in Whelans is starting up this coming Monday if anyone wants to check it out.

    The Minutes will be jamming it out onstage and Oran from Ri Ra, Pravda and Thomas house on the decks till late.

    And also would like to hear feedback since its the first night! :pac:

    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=215703121816

    sounds good!




  • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#/group.php?v=info&ref=ts&gid=299255642523

    A ROCK AND ROLL ELECTRO DISCO

    Indie Electro and more!


    Expect indie classics old and new, mashed up with the best in electro and some other favourites thrown in just for kicks

    THIS WEEK

    DAS DJS
    WONDERFULGOOD
    INKY WRISTS DJS
    GHOSTSCENE DJS

    Dublin blog queens INKY WRISTS will be there on the night making careful note of the carnage so say hi!

    http://inkywrists.ie/

    Friends and family will be giving out ****loads of FREE STUFF as well as snapping away with our big ass cameras!

    DECADANCE promises to play the music YOU want to hear, so let us know! We hope to get some live music on in the future so if you're in a band or you wanna DJ let us know and we'll give a listen!




  • To me indie nights in Dublin seem to be really repetitive. It gets boring if you go three or four times. Does Pravda still play ''dueling banjos'' and ''killing in the name'' at the end of the night?




  • The Oak is by far the best place to go...Fridays and Saturdays!!

    Guaranteed great indie tunes!!!


  • Advertisement


  • Was in Whelans the last two Saturdays and theyre definitely at it again.. dunno if its the DJ himself or whether its an instruction from management to please the masses on a Saturday (which it isnt anyway, its doing the opposite) but the music is getting seriously dodge (pop/dance) for a good chunk on that night of the week in there.

    I wont be frequenting again on a Saturday for a while.. just wish there was more decent options out there.




  • nm wrote: »
    Was in Whelans the last two Saturdays and theyre definitely at it again.. dunno if its the DJ himself or whether its an instruction from management to please the masses on a Saturday (which it isnt anyway, its doing the opposite) but the music is getting seriously dodge (pop/dance) for a good chunk on that night of the week in there.

    I wont be frequenting again on a Saturday for a while.. just wish there was more decent options out there.

    Wow, Whelans is getting a right bollicking today.




  • nm wrote: »
    Was in Whelans the last two Saturdays and theyre definitely at it again.. dunno if its the DJ himself or whether its an instruction from management to please the masses on a Saturday (which it isnt anyway, its doing the opposite) but the music is getting seriously dodge (pop/dance) for a good chunk on that night of the week in there.

    I wont be frequenting again on a Saturday for a while.. just wish there was more decent options out there.

    This is exactly what I'm talking about. And Whelan's on Saturday is the worst culprit. I'm also giving up on the place until they sort themselves out...




  • Wow, Whelans is getting a right bollicking today.

    Tis! Something of mine that I just bought and was pretty expensive got robbed on Monday night, whelans gave me the cctv footage and also gave to to guards, it clearly shows the lad with his mate taking it and shoving it up his jumper pretty much right beside the camera. Pity i cant post the vids and name and shame em




  • I don't necessarily think it's down to the size of Dublin - more people's taste in music. Edinburgh and Cardiff are half the size of Dublin, yet I've been going to amazing indie nights there for years.

    Myself and my friends spent years giving out about the lack of indie clubs. Helter Shelter was brilliant, but only monthly and because it was so ridiculously expensive we didn't even go every time even though we loved it. It was impossible during school/college to drag people along to a club that only opened for 3 hours and cost a tenner to get in.

    I got ludicrously excited when Antics first opened. Went to the first one and thought...okay, music is alright - but the crowd were much too young. Suddenly all these "indie" nights started popping up - but they were more "pop/electro/what's in the NME this week" nights that again catered for a very young crowd. Subsequent nights at Antics I found the music got worse and worse - one of the organisers once refused to let an acquaintance play "Blue Monday" in her DJ set because it wasn't well known or popular enough for them!!!!! Blue Monday!!




  • Music clubs in Dublin all do have an identity, it's just not the identity which a lot of people seek. You end up going towards the club which meets your tastes the most. I wanted to make one of my own, so I did.

    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055809404

    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=235088213852&ref=ts

    Open to lots of music suggestions and all opinions and criticisms welcome.




  • Heading out for the first Saturday of 2010. I'm going to give Whelan's a pass and check out Sin É. It's been a while so it should be interesting....




  • Well how was it?




  • Sin É was great last Saturday... It's funny, with the boards thing I'm beginning to fell like Michael Winner walking into a restaurant every night I go out (not that any probably cares too much). The DJ wasn't the Bushy Top guy I'm used to. More of rocker-type DJ in appearance. The music was quite good if not outstanding; but I think most of the time that's just what you want. So long as they don't go off on some wild tangent playing dance / techno / what-not; and definitely not "R'n'B". It doesn't have to great indie song after great indie song...

    The main thing about Sin É was the atmosphere. There was a real good mood there, the lighting is excellent and there's a good amount of mixing going on at the bar and on the dancefloor. My mate - who normally works Saturday - is mad for us to go there again this weekend... so they must be doing something right. It'll be interesting to see if they can keep it up...

    Anyone other reports from last weekend?


  • Advertisement


  • Monkey61 wrote: »
    I don't necessarily think it's down to the size of Dublin - more people's taste in music. Edinburgh and Cardiff are half the size of Dublin, yet I've been going to amazing indie nights there for years.

    Myself and my friends spent years giving out about the lack of indie clubs. Helter Shelter was brilliant, but only monthly and because it was so ridiculously expensive we didn't even go every time even though we loved it. It was impossible during school/college to drag people along to a club that only opened for 3 hours and cost a tenner to get in.

    I got ludicrously excited when Antics first opened. Went to the first one and thought...okay, music is alright - but the crowd were much too young. Suddenly all these "indie" nights started popping up - but they were more "pop/electro/what's in the NME this week" nights that again catered for a very young crowd. Subsequent nights at Antics I found the music got worse and worse - one of the organisers once refused to let an acquaintance play "Blue Monday" in her DJ set because it wasn't well known or popular enough for them!!!!! Blue Monday!!

    I'm from Galway, and went to Dublin when I was going to a concert and went there afterwards. I heard great things from my native Dublin friends but ahhhhh it was so bad! I liked the music, of course..but there was no craic at all! Until it was 2am and everyone in there was very very wasted, of course. I complain about the nightlife in Galway all the time, but no where I have been in Dublin or anywhere else actually, has been as good as the places I go to in Galway.


Advertisement