Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno Ranbat 6

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Placebo wrote: »
    Its half way across the country, time and money is what stops players.
    Not like they come down much either, just a tad bit waste of time on your part.

More likely to benefit everyone but i can only seeing this being the case at a rare occasion

They came down alot more before the bridge they used collapsed on them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Azza wrote: »
    1.They don't have numerous midweek ranbats. Dragonslayers only have 1 official ranbat every two weeks and it will be alternating between SF IV and Tekken 6 so in effect they have only 1 major SF IV ranbat a month which is
    roughly the same as our Inferno Ranbats. Only the official Dragonslayer ranbats are counted towards seeding and not any casual events they organize just like we do down here.

2.There is nothing stopping southern players from attending Dragonslayer events.

3.Seed list is pointless in my opinion if it does not reflect the entire player base of the country both north and south.

4. I'm sure if we asked the hosts of the northern events would ensure we are properly seeded.

We always keep our events to the weekend which gives most people a good chance of attending.

I didn't mean numerous as in every other week, just that if their next ranbat is also midweek, it rules out many of the southern players from attending. That will then be two tournaments worth of seeding points they'd have in advantage.

I think each event should only use their own seedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

More likely to benefit everyone but i can only seeing this being the case at a rare occasion
    Its really the same as anyone coming from outside Dublin to our battles though. Dubs have it too easy in that respect (only difference is, as was said, their tournys tend to be during the week)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I'm coming from Carlow and I know alot of the other lads are coming from outside Dublin.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

They northern guys have attended plenty of our ranbats with normally at least 3 attending, they just don't attend the casuals which is fair enough, I don't attend them much either. They have to go to the same cost and expense that we would if we went up there.

Yes their SF IV tournaments are mid week and Tekken 6 ones are on Saturday but I believe they may alter them around or alternate them in the future.
    But I suspect even if they tournaments where on Saturday you still would not get many people travelling up.

All sports use results across all tournaments.

In all likely hood it would make little difference as even if the seeds where kept separate we have a very similar seeding list. Kirby would probably be 7th and Roogle 8th, but Simon Lau would not be seeded and he is possibly the best player in the country. I think he said he may attend the next Inferno Ranbat and to not seed him not be right. Depending on numbers 7th and 8th will probably not get seeded anyway, we need to 32 to get all seeded separately, which probably won't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Gotta agree with Azza. With the current seeding list minus the northern players, in a four group event we could end up with the following group.

Bush
    Doom
    Newtype
    Blag
    Simon Lau

HMUYA wrote: »
    Gotta agree with Azza. With the current seeding list minus the northern players, in a four group event we could end up with the following group.

Bush
    Doom
    Newtype
    Blag
    Simon Lau

That's exactly my point. Even Azza isn't mean enough to do that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Azza wrote: »

2.There is nothing stopping southern players from attending Dragonslayer events.

Oi! I'm from Ireland, not the south!

*wips out banjo and plays the deliverance song

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

As defeatist as this is to say, it's never nice shelling out 15 quid you can't really afford, knowing you've already lost it.

This is why I won't be able to participate. But I will come down for teh friendly gams on the day. I just think 15 is a bit much to ask of those knowing they're screwed, of which there're a lot of us :)

However I do hope this goes well and look forward to enjoying watching the matches and seeing how things play out.

Ry

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

I agree with Ry on the money side. Considering that some people travel up and down the country, its not just €15 to think about but something in the range of €40 (e.g.: its €22 day return for me (Letterkenny -> Dublin so total is €37)

Honestly, I know that Jeff and I managed the tourney a while back with those costs but we went with it because the majority agreed with it.

Maybe if it really starts to get serious then make the prizes interesting but start small and then develop it into something bigger later because in reality, its always the same people going down for the meets/tourneys so less cost, more chance of getting people who maybe think they're not good enough but want to try their luck and really, the majority of players like with anything won't be hardcore SF gamers so if its just a little bit expensive, they'll most likely avoid it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ry wrote: »
    As defeatist as this is to say, it's never nice shelling out 15 quid you can't really afford, knowing you've already lost it.

Ry

The sun even shines on a dogs ass some days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I can think of a few NI players that have been to more tourneys than you have! :pac:

This is why I won't be able to participate. But I will come down for teh friendly gams on the day. I just think 15 is a bit much to ask of those knowing they're screwed, of which there're a lot of us :)

However I do hope this goes well and look forward to enjoying watching the matches and seeing how things play out.

Ry

You're going to be paying a fiver anyway for console rental so it's only a tenner, which honestly provides a ridiculously more attractive prize pot and is only a difference of five euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I think Ry has a fair point - if you feel you've little to no chance in winning, there's little point in putting your tenner into the pot, simply to grow it for someone else to win.

What I'd recommend is come anyway, play the casuals on the day. I don't think it's defeatist, just realistic with anyones own level of play.

On the other hand there is a huge adrenaline rush playing in a ranked touney for cash.
    I'd need a miracle path and draw to ever reach a final with my current level of play, but I'll pay my money, hope to clear my group and finish in a ranked position.

And I'll be a better player for it too I reckon.
    Losing is a great motivator to up your game.

Yeah, I've never gotten past the second round of one of the ranbats but still enjoy playing and wouldn't miss them if possible. That said I've posted before that people should just come and play casuals and meet people if they don't want to spend the tenner on the tournament - nobody's forcing you to do anything either way like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

A-Trak wrote: »
    I'll be a better player for it too I reckon.
    Losing is a great motivator to up your game.

Both these reasons!

I've never won a ranbat but I got no problem paying. It's a goal.

Tournament play makes you learn so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A-Trak, didn't you prove to be one of the best drunken players out of our group already? :pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    A-Trak, didn't you prove to be one of the best drunken players out of our group already? :pac:

That doesn't count, wasn't a ranbat.

That doesn't count, wasn't a ranbat.

THIS IS NAM RAM!

Fair more important then any ranbat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I did indeed, I call it the drunken master golden time sweet spot.
    Just the right amount of booze that you can rely perfectly on muscle memory and you are in the zone.

Problem is its a very short space of time.
    Also having a load of jars before a tourney wouldn't be the best prep I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    You're going to be paying a fiver anyway for console rental so it's only a tenner, which honestly provides a ridiculously more attractive prize pot and is only a difference of five euro.

Yeh exactly, a tenner MORE than what you would pay normally on top of your normal fare. I agree with having a much nicer pot but in all honesty, for players at what I'd consider "my level" there isn't the player base to allow for even a notion of more than 1 or 2 tournament victories before defeat. Paying 15 quid to play 2 games of Street fighter just pinches a little.

It is only a difference of 5 euro were it a tenner but the point is psychologically it's triple what I'd normally pay :) I'm just saying personally It's too rich for my blood and I'd say others would be in the same boat.

Ry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I can think of a few NI players that have been to more tourneys than you have! :pac:

in the past 3 months, ive seen none to be honest. Why get pedantic about this?

Yeh exactly, a tenner MORE than what you would pay normally on top of your normal fare. I agree with having a much nicer pot but in all honesty, for players at what I'd consider "my level" there isn't the player base to allow for even a notion of more than 1 or 2 tournament victories before defeat. Paying 15 quid to play 2 games of Street fighter just pinches a little.

It is only a difference of 5 euro were it a tenner but the point is psychologically it's triple what I'd normally pay :) I'm just saying personally It's too rich for my blood and I'd say others would be in the same boat.

Ry

But you can just go and pay the fiver for console rental, play casuals, and enter the tournament, so what's the problem? The extra tenner is a voluntary price on top of your fiver, if you wish to enter the tournament. If you don't want to enter, don't enter! I'd prefer to attract great players by having a slightly higher entry fee/better prize pot than attract mediocre players and keep the great players away because they aren't bothered travelling across the country for not much money even if they win. Also there are tournaments like the last one Placebo organised at a casuals meetup with no entry fee, just for a laugh, so surely stuff like that means you're accomodated?

Placebo: I think it's far more pedantic to suggest that we keep the seeding on a by-event basis rather than including the whole country than my response was. Also pretty sure NI players have in fact been down in the last 3 months.

Maybe have it so the top players pay full price and the lads who aint considered top pay a fiver for the tourney? Personally I'm not in it for the money , so even if I was a top player its more winning the actual tourney I;d be thinking of, I actually tend to forget there's a money prize there. I don't mind paying, I'd pay anyway, for me I just wanna see where I come in the a tourney. I know I wont be anywhere near winning but I'd like to try and improve where I place. Plus its a good buzz.

I've no job so money is tight but it only costs me 1.60 to get to xgc so well, I kinda understand what it's like for those who aint from dublin, and who'll more then likely only get to play twice.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Maybe have it so the top players pay full price and the lads who aint considered top pay a fiver for the tourney? Personally I'm not in it for the money , so even if I was a top player its more winning the actual tourney I;d be thinking of, I actually tend to forget there's a money prize there.

This is a really bad idea imo, I don't see why you should be put at a disadvantage because you're a good player.

edit: If you seriously think you cannot win a single match, then why are you entering a tournament? I wouldn't pay to enter a competition in any sport/game where I thought I had literally no chance of even winning once. There are casuals almost every weekend, why not just attend those (or even attend those and the tournament, but just play casuals at the tournament)?

I guess it just seemed logical to me since its the good players that want the higher fee and generally the shlter players that want a lower fee.

hell that way you can in fact higher the fee and not have to worry about the lower players keeping it down. As you were saying , you wanted it higher, as far as I can understand the only reason it isnt is to accommodate the lads who've no chance.

Just to say, I'm just talking here. I don't mind the fee , and I know I wont win, I enjoy taking part, but as I said, it only costs me 1.60 to get there so I might think different if it cost 20 euro to get there.

edit: If you seriously think you cannot win a single match, then why are you entering a tournament? I wouldn't pay to enter a competition in any sport/game where I thought I had literally no chance of even winning once. There are casuals almost every weekend, why not just attend those (or even attend those and the tournament, but just play casuals at the tournament)?

Are you talking to me here? I love the tourneys I don't mind paying, I think I have a shot to get a decent placement, I just know I wont be 1st.

I hope to get better and better and like to end up considered one of the top guys, I don't consider myself one of the bottom guys at all. I might not be able to touch some people on here, but I can do damage to others. & things can get interesting at tournies. I dunno if you are aware or not but I was the only one to beat Azza at the lan party tourney. Azza who went on to win the whole thing from the losers brackets. I'm not in the same class as Azza but I don't consider myself at the bottom either. Oh yeah, and I was the one who knocked out cobelcog and he just kicked the **** out of the lads up north :p I just have no chance against those I've very little match up experience with.

Also, I didnt spend 70 euro on a stick for the laugh ;)

I'm just saying I understand people who 'do' have issues. I can see where they are coming from.

Considering the amount of time between the tournaments then I don't think 15 quid is that bad. My only thought is that I would prefer more of mix down the results. Top five get prizes or top eight. For the top players it wouldn't dilute the prize pot that much to lose maybe 30 quid but for weaker players squeaking a top eight and getting your money back would be a big deal.

For the sake of argument I have to say that to say you could pay the fiver and play casuals is a very weak argument as on a tournament day everything is based around the tournament.

So why not in a golf tournament have Tiger Woods pay 10 billion dollars to enter since he'll most likely win? He gets no incentive to play then, but every other player has another 10 billion dollars to win on top of the normal entry fees.

edit: And even if so Hmuya, then just don't turn up at the damn tournament! Just go to casuals which are on far, far more often. If as Cunny said it costs someone 20 quid to get there, why are you bothering even if the tournament is only a fiver if you think you can't win a single match? Why not spend the 20 quid on a day of casuals another weekend instead?

• Advertisement

I missed a load of that argument.

Dreddy : As I said I was just pointing that out for the sake of the argument.

Cunny : The idea that better players should have to pay more is a bad one. It just reduces the incentive of better players to come along and play. Especially those who do travel. I think the issue is not with those who have travel. If you are already paying 20 quid to travel to an event then the fact its an extra fiver to play in the tournament means little. Whereas when your tournament fee is the only extra expense you notice it more.

Advertisement