Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N25 - Waterford City Bypass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

Furet wrote: »
    Are they holding a charity walk / cycle at the weekend? I'm looking forward to seeing photos here of the road in operation and its signage.

I doubt it very much, AFAIK there is a safety Audit taking place at the weekend along the whole road so it would be safe to assume they would not want Joe Public involved

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Are they holding a charity walk / cycle at the weekend? I'm looking forward to seeing photos here of the road in operation and its signage.

Nope. It was called off due to Health and Safety afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

would imagine 100 km/h (since it's not a motorway). There will probably be a lower limit in the vicinity of the toll plaza

I guess the best we can hope for is that Kilkenny and Waterford County councils have the cojones that the Cork CC lads had in putting a 120km/h limit on the N25 DC approach into Cork as far as Dunkettle.

However given past form I very much doubt the local councils would have the foresight to do this.:rolleyes:

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    I guess the best we can hope for is that Kilkenny and Waterford County councils have the cojones that the Cork CC lads had in putting a 120km/h limit on the N25 DC approach into Cork as far as Dunkettle.

However given past form I very much doubt the local councils would have the foresight to do this.:rolleyes:

they wont even up the limit on the Outer Ring Road which at the moment is a lousy 60 Km/h, so what hope do we have for 120 Km/h on the WCB

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

alpha2zulu wrote: »

Thats not the only DC cork have bumped - the Ballincollig Bypass and before it became motorway, the Watergrasshill Bypass were also raised to 120. But then again Cork also has masses of 100km/h R road, they seem to like their speed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

MYOB wrote: »
    Thats not the only DC cork have bumped - the Ballincollig Bypass and before it became motorway, the Watergrasshill Bypass were also raised to 120. But then again Cork also has masses of 100km/h R road, they seem to like their speed!

They are dead feckin right! Cork people always seem to have their independent view of rules for the country so I'm not suprised!
    Good to see some common sense down there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

I managed to get out around the bypass today for a look, it's hard to imagine that after all the frustrating years of planning and promises that it's almost open. It's also unbelievable the number of people working on all parts of the site, redoing sections of concrete, cleaning, putting up signs, backfilling, landscaping etc

Because of this, it was impossible to get onto the road but I did get a few photos.

Map...self explanatory...the numbers correspond to the photo names below.
    1a - 1d......Whelan's Bridge, all looking towards the new Suir bridge

1e + 1f......Whelan's Bridge, all looking towards the new Suir bridge
    1g.........Whelan's Bridge, looking towards Cork
    2a...looking towards the new Suir bridge

3a - 3c,...taken from the overpass shown in 2a.jpg, looking towards Cork
    3d......taken from the overpass shown in 2a.jpg, looking towards the new Suir bridge
    4a...taken from the overpass near the Manor Court Hotel, looking towards Cork

4b...taken from the overpass near the Manor Court Hotel, looking towards the new Suir bridge
    4c...sign warning of the approaching junction (shown on the map in blue)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

wellbutty wrote: »
    4c...sign warning of the approaching junction (shown on the map in blue)

Odd that Waterford is signed straight on, and then also signed - albeit as "Waterford (south)" - in the white panel.

That's coming from Kilmeaden, approaching the new western link (i.e. the turn-off for Harvey Norman and TK Maxx), right?

I would have thought that was the main exit for all parts of Waterford except Ferrybank? :confused:

Great pics though... looking forward to taking a spin on it on Tuesday :D

fricatus wrote: »
    Odd that Waterford is signed straight on, and then also signed - albeit as "Waterford (south)" - in the white panel.

That's coming from Kilmeaden, approaching the new western link (i.e. the turn-off for Harvey Norman and TK Maxx), right?

I would have thought that was the main exit for all parts of Waterford except Ferrybank? :confused:

Great pics though... looking forward to taking a spin on it on Tuesday :D

Yeah you've got the right location for the sign fricatus, I think it should be exactly as you called it....is it a sneaky plot to get visitors across the toll bridge?! And then make them cross Rice Bridge to the Quay for a parking space? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

I can’t believe that sign, its so cynical. Nice pictures. Great to see the pictures.

My views are my own.

You'd expect the sign to indicate Rosslare, Dublin, Kilkenny and Limerick are all straight ahead and then Waterford City, Tramore, Airport, Hospital and W.I.T. to the left. Or just have "All Major Routes" or "All Other Routes" as straight ahead.

You'd expect the sign to indicate Rosslare, Dublin, Kilkenny and Limerick are all straight ahead and then Waterford City, Tramore, Airport, Hospital and W.I.T. to the left. Or just have "All Major Routes" or "All Other Routes" as straight ahead.

I was just about to say exactly that... Dublin and Limerick at the very least, in addition to Rosslare.

Maybe related, maybe slightly off-topic? ...but I note that Waterford County Council seems to have an obsession with Rosslare. Down near Lemybrien and Dungarvan there are signs that say N25 Rosslare and don't even mention the city... WTF??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

it a sneaky plot to get visitors across the toll bridge?! And then make them cross Rice Bridge to the Quay for a parking space? :confused:

The word TOLL might put them off. That said the signage is as poor as one expects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Great pics, 3c in particular. You should enter it for SABRE Photo of the month.

BTW this screams motorway to me, no excuses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

nordydan wrote: »

Agree.

Mos def... I still don't get the NRA's excuse about "short isolated stretches" or whatever it was. The M11 near Bray was such a stretch for many years, and north of the border, the one around Ballymena (forget the number) is still one such stretch.

Maybe any future redesignation might provide us with an opportunity to improve the signage. It really appears to be woeful (although of course the road itself - and in particular the bridge - appear to be really something).

• Registered Users Posts: 44 stephenc1979

I reckon the reason for diverting traffic over the toll bridge is to alleviate the BandQ route, the flyover over the bypass is very narrow and to me could be a bit of a bottle neck.... I also heard today that a bridge walk WILL go ahead on Sunday... Cullen does his monday offical opening and then it'll be open tues morning...

• Advertisement

I reckon the reason for diverting traffic over the toll bridge is to alleviate the BandQ route, the flyover over the bypass is very narrow and to me could be a bit of a bottle neck.... I also heard today that a bridge walk WILL go ahead on Sunday... Cullen does his monday offical opening and then it'll be open tues morning...

over in the Waterford City Forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055709478 , they're discussing a walk on Monday afternoon with buses ferrying passengers from the clock tower to the bridge. This would make sense as there will aparantly be a safety audit taking place

Edit:

Source

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/n25bypass/news.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Bards wrote: »
    over in the Waterford City Forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055709478 , they're discussing a walk on Monday afternoon with buses ferrying passengers from the clock tower to the bridge. This would make sense as there will aparantly be a safety audit taking place

Edit:

Source

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/n25bypass/news.htm

Don't know where you are getting this safety audit thing from Bards, from my good source the 'road safety audits' took place last week.....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Same goes for the N7 tunnel, these HQDC's should be have been redesignated in the second tranche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Bards's source says the bypass will open to traffic on Monday afternoon, not Tuesday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bards's source says the bypass will open to traffic on Monday afternoon, not Tuesday.

Iv been told its Tuesday but thats wrong also. The website says Monday. Funny awl world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I managed to get out around the bypass today for a look, it's hard to imagine that after all the frustrating years of planning and promises that it's almost open. It's also unbelievable the number of people working on all parts of the site, redoing sections of concrete, cleaning, putting up signs, backfilling, landscaping etc

Because of this, it was impossible to get onto the road but I did get a few photos.

Map...self explanatory...the numbers correspond to the photo names below.
    1a - 1d......Whelan's Bridge, all looking towards the new Suir bridge

Nice work mate!

Image 3c is pretty stunning alright - the road is looking good! Whelan's Bridge looks very interesting - it parallels the way many of our bridges are built today, but more importantly, it also parallels the way in which large fly-overs are constructed in the US - I like that! :D

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

My favourite picture of the future that was in one of the threads here.

90% of this will be ready to go next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

dougal wrote: »
    My favourite picture of the future that was in one of the threads here.

90% of this will be ready to go next Monday.

Spoilt, however, by the sight of that absurdly mangled mess of roundabouts. It's not like it was that much more complicated than the N4-M50 interchange.

I look forward to a more impressive vista when it's rebuilt properly in 20 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Enbee wrote: »
    Spoilt, however, by the sight of that absurdly mangled mess of roundabouts. It's not like it was that much more complicated than the N4-M50 interchange.

I look forward to a more impressive vista when it's rebuilt properly in 20 years!!

True but it is still a big improvement on what is there currently!

• Advertisement

Enbee wrote: »

If you're coming towards this M9/N24 roundabout along the single-carriageway N24, you obviously have to give way to the right...which will be all the Dublin-bound traffic coming from Waterford. This is where I think problems will occur. I think the M9 traffic entering this roundabout will be ok because the N24 is at the opposite side of the roundabout. If and when the Mooncoin bypass is built and it fills the last slot on the roundabout, the whole junction will have to be redesigned.

This makes me wonder why they didn't built a proper junction when they had the greenfield site, which is considerably cheaper than upgrading the meeting place of 3 major roads...while they're in use!

We'll know a bit more next week ;)

Advertisement