Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

N25 - Waterford City Bypass

1568101116

Comments

  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sully


    Street lights now on around the bypass and new roads connecting to bridge.


  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ dougal


    Assuming the bridge opens before the M9.

    What is the route to Dublin from the bridge?

    Will you have to exit the bypass to head for the City Centre and then go around the roundabout that is currently there back down across the railway crossing and out the current road?

    For Limerick will you have to do the same or will you exit the bypass and head for Limerick directly via the new roundabout that terminates the M9?
    Will there be access from this roundabout maybe for the Dublin road?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭ fricatus


    dougal wrote: »
    What is the route to Dublin from the bridge?

    Will you have to exit the bypass to head for the City Centre and then go around the roundabout that is currently there back down across the railway crossing and out the current road?

    Yes, you will exit the bypass at the Grannagh interchange, head towards the city centre and then at the Newrath roundabout you will take the old Dublin road as at present.

    dougal wrote: »
    For Limerick will you have to do the same or will you exit the bypass and head for Limerick directly via the new roundabout that terminates the M9?

    For Limerick you will exit the bypass at the Grannagh interchange, but you'll head the opposite way, and this will take you to the Quarry roundabout, the one where the M9 will terminate. From there, you just take the N24 as at present.

    dougal wrote: »
    Will there be access from this roundabout maybe for the Dublin road?

    Not that I'm aware of... although the Kilkenny People reports today that the M9 as far as Danesfort is due to open in late December, so Dublin and KK-bound traffic won't have to go via the Newrath roundabout for very long! :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ King Kelly


    Bards wrote: »
    Update from News & Star http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=mhkfcwauey&cat=news

    Public will get chance to walk across new bridge
    By Gillian O’Neill

    A ONCE in a lifetime chance to walk across Waterford’s iconic new bridge will be given to the people of the city and surrounding areas in advance of the opening of the €530m bypass in October.

    A special Community Day when all residents of Waterford and South Kilkenny will be invited to come and walk the bridge is being planned as the final works on the bridge and adjoining road networks continue on schedule.


    Just wondering if this idea still being planned. Would love a stroll along that bridge!


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,523 ✭✭✭✭ road_high


    Any exact opening date announced yet guys? Should be announced some day soon, October is pushing on...;)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭ Bards


    mfitzy wrote: »
    Any exact opening date announced yet guys? Should be announced some day soon, October is pushing on...;)


    http://www.bamppp.com/index.php?lang...&subpage_id=0&

    October 20th seems to be the date considering it is a PPP I can't imagine the contractor waiting around for a minister to open the road when there is moeny to be made. - In these recessionary times I am sure any minister would only be too delighted to be associated with a good news story!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,523 ✭✭✭✭ road_high


    Bards wrote: »
    http://www.bamppp.com/index.php?lang...&subpage_id=0&

    October 20th seems to be the date considering it is a PPP I can't imagine the contractor waiting around for a minister to open the road when there is moeny to be made. - In these recessionary times I am sure any minister would only be too delighted to be associated with a good news story!!

    I hope it's true. That's Tuesday 20th so. Can't come soon enough ;)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 Amtmann


    So, any photos of the finished product (not just the bridge)?


  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sully


    Furet wrote: »
    So, any photos of the finished product (not just the bridge)?

    Drove up the old Limerick Road by Grannagh tonight. Got onto the site - there seems to be still a missing roadway. There is a signup saying Tool Plaza ahead but no actual roadway.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 Amtmann


    Some photos of the mainline here.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭ wellbutty


    I'll get out and about the bypass/bridge during the week, will post the photos.
    Drove up the old Limerick Road by Grannagh tonight. Got onto the site - there seems to be still a missing roadway. There is a signup saying Tool Plaza ahead but no actual roadway.

    I'm intrigued Sully, which road is missing?!


  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sully


    wellbutty wrote: »
    I'm intrigued Sully, which road is missing?!

    Head out towards Grannagh, over the railway and take a left turn on the currently closed road to Limerick. Half way up take a left (before the new bridge) and there is a big green sign saying "Toll Plaza Ahead" yet the area has no road surface at all. It was pitch black, so ill have a look later and see.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭ Bards


    Sully wrote: »
    Head out towards Grannagh, over the railway and take a left turn on the currently closed road to Limerick. Half way up take a left (before the new bridge) and there is a big green sign saying "Toll Plaza Ahead" yet the area has no road surface at all. It was pitch black, so ill have a look later and see.

    the road you headed up was the old N24 Limerick road. this road has a new flyover (see post #202) just past the Ferry Bar which carries the N25 WCB Mainline to the Suir Bridge.

    More than likely you saw was a sign on the mainline (Above your head) for the Toll Plaza


  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sully


    On route to bypass now. Fingers crossed ill get good shots and before its dark!


  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sully


    Sorry, security were on bridge removing a group of people so got no access at all. :(


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,981 ✭✭✭✭ mike65


    Hope you got the lovely mackerel clouds in shot.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 alpha2zulu


    Heres just a couple of pics from the Grannagh junction roundabout area this weekend,

    Looking west towards the toll plaza:
    4002071054_ff97c7369b.jpg

    Looking east towards New Ross/Rosslare:
    4001313297_67247a9eeb.jpg
    Approaching from the N24/N9 DC heading inbound to Waterford ,they have managed to squeeze in 3 lanes (just about) with the N25 East lane only as wide as the hard shoulder, the other 2 lanes are labelled R448 and N25 west.
    4002081594_e8e75e7018.jpg

    The rest of the pics are just the bridge from a few different angles,
    4002087408_460679f880.jpg
    4001330495_49823d9a79.jpg
    4002099104_2349e046db.jpg
    4002106372_bb19fc5700.jpg
    4002111866_0fec14731a.jpg


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 Chris_533976


    Thanks :D

    Theyd want to hurry if they want it open 20th/22nd of October or whenever it is.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,523 ✭✭✭✭ road_high


    Thanks :D

    Theyd want to hurry if they want it open 20th/22nd of October or whenever it is.

    Bit of work to be doen with Lines and Signs there around the bridge alright.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 alpha2zulu


    A poster on Upthedeise is reporting the bypass opening next Monday 19th October at noon by Minister Cullen.

    Sorry, security were on bridge removing a group of people so got no access at all

    Anybody have any thoughts why security on this project seem so hellbent on not letting any Sunday strollers on the route. Its not just the bridge area where they are sensitive ,I've heard from people out the Slieverue and Kilmeaden side getting asked to leave aswell, whereas on the M9 security are never any bother even though its the same security firm:confused:


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭ Bards


    alpha2zulu wrote: »
    A poster on Upthedeise is reporting the bypass opening next Monday 19th October at noon by Minister Cullen.




    Anybody have any thoughts why security on this project seem so hellbent on not letting any Sunday strollers on the route. Its not just the bridge area where they are sensitive ,I've heard from people out the Slieverue and Kilmeaden side getting asked to leave aswell, whereas on the M9 security are never any bother even though its the same security firm:confused:

    One is a PPP and any damage will be bourne by the company, whereas the other is a public so any damage will bo borne by the taxpayer....could be wrong though

    Edit:
    WLRfm is Reporting that Cullen is indeed opening the bypass at 12 noon on Monday, however, it will not be open to traffic until Tuesday


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭ fricatus


    Bards wrote: »
    Edit:
    WLRfm is Reporting that Cullen is indeed opening the bypass at 12 noon on Monday, however, it will not be open to traffic until Tuesday

    Ha???

    Isn't the usual deal that the Minister cuts a ribbon at noon, then gets his photo taken in a vintage car, some farmers protest and then they open the road around 3 or 4 in the afternoon?

    In fact I thought that roads always opened in the afternoon - is this not so? Surely it's safer all round for drivers and those working on the road.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭ Bards


    fricatus wrote: »
    Ha???

    Isn't the usual deal that the Minister cuts a ribbon at noon, then gets his photo taken in a vintage car, some farmers protest and then they open the road around 3 or 4 in the afternoon?

    In fact I thought that roads always opened in the afternoon - is this not so? Surely it's safer all round for drivers and those working on the road.

    think it's part of the bye laws for the toll - maybe that's what they mean by "October 20th Handover (Permit to use)


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭ fricatus


    Bards wrote: »
    Edit:
    WLRfm is Reporting that Cullen is indeed opening the bypass at 12 noon on Monday, however, it will not be open to traffic until Tuesday

    I heard the WLR report there just now and they used the phrase "daybreak Tuesday".


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,523 ✭✭✭✭ road_high


    Ah that is great news. It's truly historic really! For decades a second bridge crossing has been talked about in Waterford. It is great to see it finally happen and will be a great boost to Waterford and surrounds.


  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ dougal


    mfitzy wrote: »
    Ah that is great news. It's truly historic really! For decades a second bridge crossing has been talked about in Waterford. It is great to see it finally happen and will be a great boost to Waterford and surrounds.

    Historic and beautiful - great news indeed!

    Couple of questions on the bypass while I am here.

    Does anyone know what speed limit will be for this road?

    Will there be Tag lanes at the Toll plaza and if so will any existing tag work?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭ Bards


    dougal wrote: »
    Historic and beautiful - great news indeed!

    Couple of questions on the bypass while I am here.

    Does anyone know what speed limit will be for this road?

    Will there be Tag lanes at the Toll plaza and if so will any existing tag work?

    100 Km/H and Yes all existing Tags will work


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭ fricatus


    dougal wrote: »
    Does anyone know what speed limit will be for this road?

    I would imagine 100 km/h (since it's not a motorway). There will probably be a lower limit in the vicinity of the toll plaza. We'll know for sure on Tuesday though! :D

    dougal wrote: »
    Will there be Tag lanes at the Toll plaza and if so will any existing tag work?

    Check your tag provider's website, but AFAIK, all tags are supposed to work at all toll plazas in the Republic, including any new ones that come on stream, such as the Suir Bridge.

    So in short, yes and yes to your questions.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 BluntGuy


    fricatus wrote: »
    since it's not a motorway

    :(

    I die a little inside each time somebody says that.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 Amtmann


    Are they holding a charity walk / cycle at the weekend? I'm looking forward to seeing photos here of the road in operation and its signage.


Advertisement