Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final results! decisive YES vote!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    OMG! I just got drafted into the new EU army :eek:

And they're only paying me €1.84 an hour :eek::eek:

And what's worse they stuck me in a platoon with a load of Turks :(

I'll be alright though, I'm not going into battle. I'll be guarding our new supreme overlord Tony Blair :cool:

I've just had to both forcibly abort my unborn child and plug the plug on my granny. **** buzz like

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The Irish are so easily manipulated. The idiots of Europe.

Proud idiots:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

rumour wrote: »
    Just goes to show you. The Irish are so easily manipulated. The idiots of Europe.

Thankfully, never ever to be trusted with a serious decision regarding the EU ever again.

And we all agree by a substantial majority.

I dont understand? are you calling 1.2m people idiots? Me included by the way..... because I will have you know bla bla bla bla bla :D

Grapes

Sour

YES YES YES

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Just goes to show you. The Irish are so easily manipulated. The idiots of Europe.
    You weren't saying that when that manipulation got you the result you wanted
    Thankfully, never ever to be trusted with a serious decision regarding the EU ever again.
    I find it ironic that you talk about the Irish people being easily manipulated and then repeat one of the biggest lies of the campaign. I assume you're talking about the "self-amending" clause that apparently overrides our constitution and denies our right to referendums?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

And we all agree by a substantial majority.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

I dont understand? are you calling 1.2m people idiots? Me included by the way..... because I will have you know bla bla bla bla bla :D

Grapes

Sour

YES YES YES

Thats a bit rich coming from the sore losers who didn't get what they wanted the first time round and just decided to bully people into getting the anser they wanted.

The people of Ireland voted with their pockets! I kept a very open mind in this referendum and studied what both a yes vote and no would mean. The only reason most people could give when I asked the benefits of a yes vote was that It will be good for the country yet nobody could tell me how.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Glad with the result, and glad it's all over.

Thats a bit rich coming from the sore losers who didn't get what they wanted the first time round and just decided to bully people into getting the anser they wanted.

The people of Ireland voted with their pockets! I kept a very open mind in this referendum and studied what both a yes vote and no would mean. The only reason most people could give when I asked the benefits of a yes vote was that It will be good for the country yet nobody could tell me how.

You should have had a look at some of the posts on this forum, very informative. But by the sounds of it you are one of those people who just couldnt bare to learn that you were wrong .... such is life;)

How much longer will we get to gloat? Im sure some sort of normality will have to be put on this forun soon.

I have to go for a smoke but I would like to gloat a bit more when I come back......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Malty_T wrote: »
    Lies once exposed, cannot be used again :)

You mean like this one ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055700127

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

ffs this is getting annoying now, people were not bullied into supporting the LT the second time round, the government asked people what their concerns were, the people told them, the government got guarentees that LT did not actually effect the vast majority of the ridiculous claims totued by the no side (neutrality, taxation etc etc) and then said to the people, any chance ye could look at it again considering you now have the commisioner and the guarentees cos if we reject, the other 495m people in the EU cant go forward either.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Pleased with the result, but annoyed the campaign wasn't cleaner. Pity it wasn't done right the first time.

A bit worried about the effect a sinister, unelected force like Ganley can hold over things, and of course now I'm wondering about how powerful our own friendly fascists Cóir are.

Annoyed how the whole thing was dragged down into the gutters, and turned into a dirty fight.

But glad, oh so glad, it's finally over.

And must point out, my reasons for voting Yes had nothing to do with "Yes for Jobs", "We belong in Europe", "We need Europe" or any reason of that nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

Last time we were idiots for sure.The reasons we gave for blanking it reflected this.
    This time we did ourselves proud,saw through the crap,a lot of people saw through the crap.Pity we don't do this for our own elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark_lord_ire

SV wrote: »
    I'm sure you are.
    You were abusive (and scare mongering) enough throughout the whole campaign to have finally got what you want.

Lol and the war posters, 1.84 posters and abortion posters by the no side :) these were informative facts then and not scare mongering??? oh please go back to bed come out when you grow a brain:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    You weren't saying that when that manipulation got you the result you wanted

I find it ironic that you talk about the Irish people being easily manipulated and then repeat one of the biggest lies of the campaign. I assume you're talking about the "self-amending" clause that apparently overrides our constitution and denies our right to referendums?

please stop putting words in my mouth.

The people in the republic of ireland will never agin be in a position via any of the institutions in the EU to block lead or amend any legislation coming out of Europe.

They can only beg to be listened to, just like what we are doing right now with the ECB.

Lisbon was not the issue, the treaty could have been about helicopters for all i care. What we have done infront of the world twice is demonstrate (twice making it so much more convincing) that we will bend our principles hence we cannot be trusted.

No other country in Europe has this distinguished record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

That poor little girl from the posters will be in bits crying tonight :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Lol and the war posters, 1.84 posters and abortion posters by the no side :) these were informative facts then and not scare mongering??? oh please go back to bed come out when you grow a brain:)

Yes because I'm referring to the yes side solely and not that particular poster.
    Well done.

Grapes

Sour

YES YES YES

Sour grapes, thats an understatement, like it were a football game. No this is much more depressing. I now have to look for a different country to live in.

oh right well then maybe you should come out and say which area of this no group do you not belong to?? I who voted yes had no problem at all with the yes side. Glad the no side got to hear the silent majority now its over these no people need to put up and shut up moaning is not going to help now

Slash/ED wrote: »
    That poor little girl from the posters will be in bits crying tonight :(

jesus has anyone thought of the childern??? poor girl will be hanging herself by the morning maybe we should have voted no to save the girl lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Better get our boots ready lads, time to get drafted into the army...

Oh and if your reading this Michael, I hope all goes well in your bid to buy that airline company you were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

jesus has anyone thought of the childern??? poor girl will be hanging herself by the morning maybe we should have voted no to save the girl lol

I told some children this morning that democracy was dead. You should have seen the tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Walsh wrote: »
    Better get our boots ready lads, time to get drafted into the army...

Oh and if your reading this Michael, I hope all goes well in your bid to buy that airline company you were looking for.
    End of the day its pointless voting in these referendums. Any time there is a no vote its over turned. But its water under the bridge now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Let's euthanise her :pac:

Stark wrote: »
    I told some children this morning that democracy was dead. You should have seen the tears.

hehe see reason being no side told kids Barneys second name was actually democracy.

baaaa wrote: »
    Last time we were idiots for sure.The reasons we gave for blanking it reflected this.
    This time we did ourselves proud,saw through the crap,a lot of people saw through the crap.Pity we don't do this for our own elections.

A treaty before it is put in place can be changed easily, our integrity as a nation and the principles each and everyone of us represents can not.

What constitutes the Irish nation, character now. An unprincipled bunch of easily manipulated people who can be bought.

That of course is good for 'big business' but personally quite shameful when I meet and do business with my colleagues and friends in Europe.

In my experience this type of unprincipled behavior is the quickest way to find your self excluded and irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

End of the day its pointless voting in these referendums. Any time there is a no vote its over turned. But its water under the bridge now.

You're right. Every single time there has been a no vote it's been overturned.

# Third Amendment Bill (1958): This was a proposal to alter the electoral system for elections to Dáil Éireann from proportional representation under the Single Transferable Vote to the British 'First Past the Post' system. It also proposed to establish an independent commission for the drawing of constituency boundaries on a constitutional basis. It was put to a referendum on 17 June 1959 but was defeated.
    # Third Amendment Bill (1968): This proposed to specify more precisely the system of apportionment in the drawing of constituency boundaries. It would have permitted rural constituencies to elect a disproportionate number of TDs (see malapportionment). The proposal was put to a referendum on 16 October 1968 but was rejected.
    # Fourth Amendment Bill (1968): This was a second attempt to alter the electoral system by abolishing proportional representation in favour of 'First Past the Post'. It was submitted to a referendum on the same day as the Third Amendment Bill (1968) and was defeated.
    # Twelfth Amendment Bill (1992): This proposed to strengthen the constitutional ban on abortion by stating that an abortion could not be procured to protect the health, rather than the life, of the woman, and that risk to the life of the woman from suicide could not be grounds for an abortion. This was put to a referendum on 25 November 1992 but was defeated.
    # Twenty-fifth Amendment Bill (2002): This was a second attempt to strengthen the constitutional ban on abortion and to prevent risk of suicide being invoked as grounds for an abortion. It was submitted to a referendum on 6 March 2002 but was defeated.

Plus, any referendums that were rejected and subsequently passed were put to the public again - not merely "overturned".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Today's result was the final nail in the coffin for workers in the construction industry.As if things weren't bad enough all big construction projects in this country from now on will be flooded with cheap project companies and labour from Eastern Europe,a disastrous result for the working person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Well, the decision is in, and its settled. The only thing that can be done now is for people to stay tuned in to whats going on in the next few months, to make sure that our government delivers on its word and the guarentees we recieved.

For me, the result, while not unexpected, does hurt, but its the peoples decision and you have to respect that. I made my decision, and I was always going to stick with it after evaluating the situation from my own point of view. That is all anyone of us can do. I'll still carry my convictions, but those convictions will have to face the reality of Lisbon in effect. The Yes result hasn't shaken my hope for a democratic, inclusive and fair Europe even if I felt Lisbon wasn't the right way to do it, but I guess we'll see how things work, and I guess my hopes will have to work within the framework of Lisbon now. That's democracy fer ya.

The people who voted No didn't always come to an easy decision, it would have been easy for me to vote Yes on the case that it would have been good for our economy and at times I felt it was wrong, even dangerous, to tempt the wrath of the EU and go against them, but you have to go with how you think on these things. It was definetly an interesting few months, I liked how people became involved, and I hope people remain involved in political discussion, keep an eye on what people are supposed to be doing. I did not like the lies however, or the thinly veiled threats.

Coir really pissed me off with their posters. I'll be glad to see the back of them. So too did the myriad posters about neutrality, jobs, abortion and such. I think the referendum became more and more removed from what it should have been about, and so too any hope of a logical and reasoned stance amongst voters. I fell into this myself at times. I did not like the idea of being lumped in with those Coir loons, I voted No for different reasons that I felt were based on fact and not on fiction.

• Advertisement

MikeC101 wrote: »
    You're right. Every single time there has been a no vote it's been overturned.

# Third Amendment Bill (1958): This was a proposal to alter the electoral system for elections to Dáil Éireann from proportional representation under the Single Transferable Vote to the British 'First Past the Post' system. It also proposed to establish an independent commission for the drawing of constituency boundaries on a constitutional basis. It was put to a referendum on 17 June 1959 but was defeated.
    # Third Amendment Bill (1968): This proposed to specify more precisely the system of apportionment in the drawing of constituency boundaries. It would have permitted rural constituencies to elect a disproportionate number of TDs (see malapportionment). The proposal was put to a referendum on 16 October 1968 but was rejected.
    # Fourth Amendment Bill (1968): This was a second attempt to alter the electoral system by abolishing proportional representation in favour of 'First Past the Post'. It was submitted to a referendum on the same day as the Third Amendment Bill (1968) and was defeated.
    # Twelfth Amendment Bill (1992): This proposed to strengthen the constitutional ban on abortion by stating that an abortion could not be procured to protect the health, rather than the life, of the woman, and that risk to the life of the woman from suicide could not be grounds for an abortion. This was put to a referendum on 25 November 1992 but was defeated.
    # Twenty-fifth Amendment Bill (2002): This was a second attempt to strengthen the constitutional ban on abortion and to prevent risk of suicide being invoked as grounds for an abortion. It was submitted to a referendum on 6 March 2002 but was defeated.

Plus, any referendums that were rejected and subsequently passed were put to the public again - not merely "overturned".

Yes worse again, we only bend break our rules for people outside the country.

Advertisement