Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final results! decisive YES vote!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Today's result was the final nail in the coffin for workers in the construction industry.As if things weren't bad enough all big construction projects in this country from now on will be flooded with cheap project companies and labour from Eastern Europe,a disastrous result for the working person.

to work where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark_lord_ire

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Today's result was the final nail in the coffin for workers in the construction industry.As if things weren't bad enough all big construction projects in this country from now on will be flooded with cheap project companies and labour from Eastern Europe,a disastrous result for the working person.

Wow you serious:eek: i had no idea that could happen. Thought we barred all eastern europeans from coming here. They did not help make the boom at all working those low paid jobs many irish would not work. Those B@stard making our ecomomy rich for us back then. Yeah we owe them nothing. Mind you cant see how after today we would get an influx more of those irish hating people

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

So thats a 1-1 draw, so when do we have the decider??????

No??, thought not. What a sad shower we have running this country :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

MikeC101 wrote: »
    You're right. Every single time there has been a no vote it's been overturned.

# Third Amendment Bill (1958): This was a proposal to alter the electoral system for elections to Dáil Éireann from proportional representation under the Single Transferable Vote to the British 'First Past the Post' system. It also proposed to establish an independent commission for the drawing of constituency boundaries on a constitutional basis. It was put to a referendum on 17 June 1959 but was defeated.
    # Third Amendment Bill (1968): This proposed to specify more precisely the system of apportionment in the drawing of constituency boundaries. It would have permitted rural constituencies to elect a disproportionate number of TDs (see malapportionment). The proposal was put to a referendum on 16 October 1968 but was rejected.
    # Fourth Amendment Bill (1968): This was a second attempt to alter the electoral system by abolishing proportional representation in favour of 'First Past the Post'. It was submitted to a referendum on the same day as the Third Amendment Bill (1968) and was defeated.
    # Twelfth Amendment Bill (1992): This proposed to strengthen the constitutional ban on abortion by stating that an abortion could not be procured to protect the health, rather than the life, of the woman, and that risk to the life of the woman from suicide could not be grounds for an abortion. This was put to a referendum on 25 November 1992 but was defeated.
    # Twenty-fifth Amendment Bill (2002): This was a second attempt to strengthen the constitutional ban on abortion and to prevent risk of suicide being invoked as grounds for an abortion. It was submitted to a referendum on 6 March 2002 but was defeated.

Plus, any referendums that were rejected and subsequently passed were put to the public again - not merely "overturned".
    Was referring to two previous European referendums. End of the day, nothing to say Europe wont be pushing something else through in ten years time. And if anyone objects all that will happen is they will have a second referendum where it will be passed. Europe gets what Europe wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Antrim_Man wrote: »

Bring it on:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Antrim_Man wrote: »

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62377587&postcount=17
    marco_polo wrote: »
    Aggregate scores should suffice as a tie breaker.

Yes: 1,966,719
    No: 1,482,077

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

rumour wrote: »
    Yes worse again, we only bend break our rules for people outside the country.

No...the ban on divorce was lifted by the Fifteenth Amendment in 1996, despite having been rejected previously. Plus, if you read the referenda I posted there - several of them are reruns of previously defeated referenda, but they were defeated again, as Lisbon could have been, if enough people wanted to vote No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

No...the ban on divorce was lifted by the Fifteenth Amendment in 1996, despite having been rejected previously. Plus, if you read the referenda I posted there - several of them are reruns of previously defeated referenda, but they were defeated again, as Lisbon could have been, if enough people wanted to vote No.

If you don't see the distinction I don't think I can explain it to you. I'll just bow my head, retreat and leave you to your own devices.

If you don't see the distinction I don't think I can explain it to you..

I think, I understand now, why your philosophy lost today.;)

If you don't see the distinction I don't think I can explain it to you. I'll just bow my head, retreat and leave you to your own devices.

Yeah, yeah. Pretty much what I expected. Thanks for confirming it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I had to laugh. From: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1003/eulisbon1.html
    ... the Government and the main Opposition parties, who all campaigned for a Yes, will now argue about who did most to win the referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eureka1978

We should write personal letters of support to Vaclav klaus, President of Czech Republic, Prague Castle, Czech Republic and encourage him not to sign the treacherous treaty document and remind him that by signing it he would sell not only sell our country down the swanee without the proverbial paddle and the rest of Europe too, but his own country would once again be subjugated to a sovietised EU system that now would have total power to introduce a stasi police state under any type of "emergency" they choose from the so called swine flu "pandemic" to the environmental wackery nonsense of global warming hysteria. Remind him the Soviet dictator Gorbachev congratulated the EU on setting up a European Soviet on a visit he made to London in 2003 and ask Klaus if he wants to risk this type of facist dictatorship again...Be courteous and polite and he will write back to you and thank you for your opinions. It's a simple thing to write a personal hand written to him and you will get great satisfaction from it when he acknowledges you and replies to your points.

Spend thirty minutes writing a letter, be a committee of one, just post it to him. You could make all the difference.....

eureka1978 wrote: »
    We should write personal letters of support to Vaclav klaus, President of Czech Republic, Prague Castle, Czech Republic and encourage him not to sign the treacherous treaty document and remind him that by signing it he would sell not only sell our country down the swanee without the proverbial paddle and the rest of Europe too, but his own country would once again be subjugated to a sovietised EU system that now would have total power to introduce a stasi police state under any type of "emergency" they choose from the so called swine flu "pandemic" to the environmental wackery nonsense of global warming hysteria. Remind him the Soviet dictator Gorbachev congratulated the EU on setting up a European Soviet on a visit he made to London in 2003 and ask Klaus if he wants to risk this type of facist dictatorship again...Be courteous and polite and he will write back to you and thank you for your opinions. It's a simple thing to write a personal hand written to him and you will get great satisfaction from it when he acknowledges you and replies to your points.

Spend thirty minutes writing a letter, be a committee of one, just post it to him. You could make all the difference.....

So...um...yeah..that'd be
    1,966,719 letters telling him to sign then?
    And, 1,482,077 telling him to abstain...poor guys gonna have a lot of letters to get through.

eureka1978 wrote: »

Lizards and fascists and swine flu oh my!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

eureka1978 wrote:

So much for respecting the vote of the people :rolleyes:

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Lizards and fascists and swine flu oh my!

I think Godwin's law should be amended to include 'fascism' too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Stark wrote: »
    So much for respecting the vote of the people :rolleyes:

Are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No-one tried to force the Treaty through the back channels after the No vote last year when public opinion was against the Treaty. Why should we resort to backhanded methods to try and stop it now that public opinion has swung? And by trying to convince one man to act alone against the wishes of the entire elected Czech parliament at that.

Sure, we still have Mary McAleese to sign off. Why not write personal letters to her asking her to ignore the results of the referendum and refuse to sign off?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭USE

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It is great to see Coir put back under that stone they crawled out of, SF can go back to Martin McGuinness working with and supporting the EU like the hypocrites they are, Declan, well God knows where he'll turn up next, the racists can't hide behind the Treaty anymore and Joe can go on fighting the good fight.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

It was quite the sight to see Brigid Laffan,Chairperson of Ireland for Europe hoisted up in the air with the tricolour right alongside people holding up the Fianna Fail speechbubble posters. Heard a bit of talk on telly about Pat Cox possibly being Ireland's next commisioner. Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

PaulieD wrote: »
    No, but the Balkan states will be. Expect more mass immigration. Yes, for jobs, indeed.
    Why would you move to a country with no jobs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Why would you move to a country with no jobs??

High social welfare?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    High social welfare?

Of course, like any Irish citizen, you would have had to have had a job in this country to claim social welfare first, but why let the facts get in the way.

Stark wrote: »
    No-one tried to force the Treaty through the back channels after the No vote last year when public opinion was against the Treaty. Why should we resort to backhanded methods to try and stop it now that public opinion has swung? And by trying to convince one man to act alone against the wishes of the entire elected Czech parliament at that.

Sure, we still have Mary McAleese to sign off. Why not write personal letters to her asking her to ignore the results of the referendum and refuse to sign off?
    Not just down to Czechs to clear this. UK are pushing for a referendum on this but as far as i know its dependent on whether Conservatives get into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    High social welfare?
    ok we're not canada, you gotta work here for 2 years to be entitled to social welfare...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Not just down to Czechs to clear this. UK are pushing for a referendum on this but as far as i know its dependent on whether Conservatives get into power.

Cameron won't. Like any good opposition politician he'll make all the promises, that he knows at the back of his mind he'll never have to actually keep. Hence Cameron's 'if Lisbon is not ratified....'. Guess what? Lisbon will be ratified. Oh and it's not down to the Czechs, it's down to a Czech, the Czech Parliament, Senate and Constitutional Court have already given it the thumbs up.

Malty_T wrote: »
    I think, I understand now, why your philosophy lost today.;)

Loose it did. The democratic deficit at the core of Europe will be an issue for another day, hopefully in the future it won't be smothered by extreme right wing and left wing lunatics, which lets face it are so easy to ridicule.

Ah well.:(

Yeah, yeah. Pretty much what I expected. Thanks for confirming it.

Again I bow my head and beg leave.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    Cameron won't. Like any good opposition politician he'll make all the promises, that he knows at the back of his mind he'll never have to actually keep. Hence Cameron's 'if Lisbon is not ratified....'. Guess what? Lisbon will be ratified. Oh and it's not down to the Czechs, it's down to a Czech, the Czech Parliament, Senate and Constitutional Court have already given it the thumbs up.
    Yes some guy on BBC news noted that we had two referendums on treaty and as such UK should have their say on matter. And banner running across the screen was that Ireland only country in EU to have actually voted on the referendum.

Advertisement