Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final results! decisive YES vote!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yes some guy on BBC news noted that we had two referendums on treaty and as such UK should have their say on matter. And banner running across the screen was that Ireland only country in EU to have actually voted on the referendum.

Some guy on BBC said UK should have one therefore it's true? Personally I'd say "some guy on BBC news" has less of a chance of becoming PM than Cameron so I'm going to go with what he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Yes some guy on BBC news noted that we had two referendums on treaty and as such UK should have their say on matter. And banner running across the screen was that Ireland only country in EU to have actually voted on the referendum.

well thats what they get for having a monarchy and no constitution :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 WhiskeyTangoFox

rumour wrote: »

Thankfully, never ever to be trusted with a serious decision regarding the EU ever again.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Prinz,

I believe that media guy mentioned by Bay was David Cameron, he's under a sh1t load of pressure now from anti treaty folk in the UK to declare a referendum, and if I heard RTE news correctly Tony Connelly said that Mr Cameron has called for one...can anyone confirm this???

[Googly eyes not finding anything at the moment for me]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Malty_T wrote: »
    Prinz,
    I believe that media guy mentioned by Bay was David Cameron, he's under a sh1t load of pressure now from anti treaty folk in the UK to declare a referendum, and if I heard RTE news correctly Tony Connelly said that Mr Cameron has called for one...can anyone confirm this???
    As long as that treaty is being discussed or debated anywhere in the Europe, we will keep fighting for that referendum and if those are the circumstances at the time of the next general election we will hold that referendum and I would ask the British people to vote No to that treaty,” he told the BBC."

- David Cameron

"Our policy will remain as it is unless and until the treaty comes into force. If and when that happens we would announce at that time our new policy to deal with a new situation.”

William Hague

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/world/cameron-under-pressure-over-lisbon-referendum-428824.html#ixzz0SuSCHwR5

If Lisbon has been ratified they won't have the political stones to row back on it and sink it. Basically they're playing to the crowd for the Tory annual conference, but Cameron and Hague know that if Lisbon has been dealt with by next summer they won't be holding a referendum. It's a moot point and a classic opposition promise, that Cameron knows he won't actually be faced to deliver on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Malty_T wrote: »
    Prinz,

[Googly eyes not finding anything at the moment for me]
    Have a read of this analysis by BBC EU correspondent Gavin Hewitt. Cameron is getting himself into a very tricky situation, politically. He'll split the conservatives, all who obviously are not eurosceptic; he may lose votes now whether he pushes ahead with his referendum plans or not; he'll put the UK in a very tricky political situation with the EU.

Also, an article describing the Czech situation.

This Treaty is almost done and dusted, imo. The few rejectionists that are left are running out of political power to do much about it.

BTW, another interesting situation developing in the next few weeks will be who loses their Commissioner in November. There can only be a maximum of 26 Commissioners from that date until the Treaty is fully ratified.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Thanks, Prinz and Hitman,

Regarding the commissioner thingy, I actually feel that that should be us because we've held this bloody treaty for long enough causing this situation to arise in the first place - It would be merely a show of our goodwill because seriously, like, Ireland help up the entire process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

After today, I have a lot more faith in the Irish electorate.

The same electorate that voted Fianna Fail into power for most of the last 20 years ! :confused: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

SV wrote: »
    I'm sure you are.
    You were abusive (and scare mongering) enough throughout the whole campaign to have finally got what you want.

Erm - I think you're mixing the Yes and No campaigns up there ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

marco_polo wrote: »
    Of course, like any Irish citizen, you would have had to have had a job in this country to claim social welfare first, but why let the facts get in the way.

Nonsense as EU citizens- they are entitled to Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA), Rent Allowance, Fuel Allowance and discretionary Exceptional Needs Payments such as Clothing Allowance. Also, once they have worked for two years in Ireland, they are entitled to the same benefits as an Irish citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

So the side with the most money "won", big surprise.
    The Yes lies were more persuasive than the No lies so clearly the marketing people working for the Yes side have earned a nice fat bonus from the pocket of Johnny taxpayer.

I'm sure this is a joyous time for the Yes side, I voted No last year and again this year, and I certainly didn't feel the need to celebrate last years result or rub it in the faces of the Yes side, so hopefully we can have a civilised reaction to the referendum result free from name calling and insults.

My opinion is that Ireland has made the wrong decision and for the wrong reasons. However we now have to live with the fact that we have voted Yes and get on with our lives and forget about the mud slinging and lies of the last few months.
    The ratification of the Lisbon treaty still has a couple of minor hurdles to clear and we will all watch intently to see how smoothly that runs and I'm sure we will have debates on future actions taken by the EU as a result of Lisbon.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to queue for one of these jobs we've been promised, hopefully we all won't be waiting too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

heyjude wrote: »
    The same electorate that voted Fianna Fail into power for most of the last 20 years ! :confused: :rolleyes:

You mean the Fianna Fail governments that presided over the unprecedented economic growth?

Yeah, the electorate have done a pretty good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

nullzero wrote: »
    Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to queue for one of these jobs we've been promised, hopefully we all won't be waiting too long.

don't worry you wont. we'll decrease the minimum wage to 1.84 and suddenly everyone can get a job;)

Fuhrer wrote: »
    You mean the Fianna Fail governments that presided over the unprecedented economic growth?

Yeah, the electorate have done a pretty good job.

To be fair a small child could have seen that lowering the corpate tax level would attract direct foreign investment. It was FF's failure to take the economic prosperity we had and channel it into decent infrastructure that is most puzzling and annoying.
    We should have been set up in terms of infrastructure for when the inevitable crash came.
    FF carried on as if the bubble would never burst when history shows that all economic bubbles burst.
    They have been irresponsible with the power the people placed in their hands.
    They are meant to be doing what is best for us the people, instead they did what was handy for them and their cronies and pals and that is unforgiveable.

Mario007 wrote: »
    don't worry you wont. we'll decrease the minimum wage to 1.84 and suddenly everyone can get a job;)

The dole queue aint looking so bad now eh?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Mario007 wrote: »

Mute argument. The majority feel for the jobs and recovery lie, not the minimum wage lie.

Also, the COIR 1.84 poster had a question mark. The jobs and recovery posters did not.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Mute argument. The majority feel for the jobs and recovery lie, not the minimum wage lie.

Also, the COIR 1.84 poster had a question mark. The jobs and recovery posters did not.

The Irish electorate love falling for lies.
    Just look at the whoppers FF were pedalling before the last election.

I think most people knew Lisbon was a bad deal, but just couldn't wait to start complaining about it when it starts to negatively affect their lives even though they voted for it, a bit like FF.

Whats a mute arguement?

no many fell for the 1.84 lie too.

if you want to get technical the jobs posters never specified if the jobs will be created or just the existing maintained or that less jobs will be lost...

and also if we actually did lower our minimum wage to 1.84 it would bring in jobs:D so the argument stands

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Disgusted with the result and at every one of the clowns and fairies who voted yes.

• Advertisement

Whats a mute arguement?

When people hilariously bundle all of the idiotic fringe group No arguments into one sentence as they try counter the claim that most people voted Yes out of fear and the promise of economic recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Disgusted with the result and at every one of the clowns and fairies who voted yes.

That would be over 1.2m 'clowns and fairies' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

namloc1980 wrote: »

UKIP's former MEPs, Robert Kilroy-Silk, once described Ireland as a land of
    "peasants, priests and pixies"

(Daily Express, 9 Nov, 1992).

namloc1980 wrote: »

That would make him pretty damn disgusted:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Yes it would. Not often ashamed to be Irish, I am today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Go into town with a megaphone and call those 1.2 million people clowns and fairies and give them a real reason for your disgust.

Your only disgusted because you lost the "battle", its not about what side wins, its what about whats best for the country.

And believe it or not, While the treaty itself has no bearing on the economy of Ireland, It will encourage spending and boost the economy because of a little something called human psychology.

If no had won we would of been further thrown into reducing spending and killing the economy because of a fear the EU will abandon us.

When people hilariously bundle all of the idiotic fringe group No arguments into one sentence as they try counter the claim that most people voted Yes out of fear and the promise of economic recovery.

i was at a few lisbon debate and none of them circulated around jobs and recovery. we all just laughed at those posters around the place to be honest. the issues were relating eu and lisbon, not the context of the events.
    i was even canvassing with FG posters and did talk to the people about the jobs thingy but managed to persuade them on the basis of whats in the treaty.
    so i don't think many people were thinking i'll vote yes and get a job tommorow.

but coincidently when the voting on the islands started the unemployment figures were down and we all know that they voted in favour of the treaty so maybe FG and FF were right:rolleyes::D

You mean Moot, right?

Yes it would. Not often ashamed to be Irish, I am today.

I have to agree with you.
    As a nation we chickened out.
    Shows how much of a "me too" society we are these days.
    Promise us jobs, jobs=money=fancy cars and holidays and useless crap.
    Sad excuse for a nation really, and we used to be so proud, and poor it must be said. I guess we'd rather be rich and morally bankrupt than hold onto any sense of moral courage.
    Thats probably the lasting legacy of the celtic tiger, we turned into a bunch of selfish dickheads:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You mean Moot, right?

You'd think so, but I did actually mean mute.

Advertisement