Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 tests - Not a Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

craoltoir wrote: »
    Text has been haphazard (yesterday). Also TG4 too weak with snow and no sound (3Rock).
    Snow!! Are you sure you're tuned to DTT and not an analogue channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

peking97 wrote: »
    Snow!! Are you sure you're tuned to DTT and not an analogue channel?

Most likely the chap means pixelation!

This is a snowy reception

This
    is pixelation; the modern equivalent of Analog snowy.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Yes. RTÉ1, RTÉ2 and TV3 were fine. TG4 had no sound and picture was weak. Might be fixed this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

It was'nt pixelation like you show. There were "dots" in the picture but you could still see the programme. You might have a better technical explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

craoltoir wrote: »
    It was'nt pixelation like you show. There were "dots" in the picture but you could still see the programme. You might have a better technical explanation.

Sounds like artifacts to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_artifact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

I too have noticed that snow on tg4 from time to time, it's not normal artefacts/pixellation
    anyway, channel switching seems to have got much faster over the last couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 15 naturalblue

Hi
    Can anyone tell me of MPEG4 cam that is compatible with an LG 37LF65.
    I just bought one and p[opped it in but it doesn't seem to be compatible.
    The CAM is a Viacess Pocket (powered by NP4).
    When the card is in, the LG shows the CI information for the card but i get no video or sound on the channels.
    RTE 1 & 2 justs sits there saying Loading Text. TV3 & TG4 just stay black saying HD service.

Is there anything I can do to make this card work.
    Oh when i take the card out it is warm so power is going through it.

I am going to try it on another tv (also an LG but a different model).
    I would appreciate any ideas anyone has.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Hi naturalblue, boards member "slegs" runs soartv based in kildare he can advise on mpeg4 cards for your TV. Also there is a sticky post in this section for neotion mpeg4 cam card: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055384875 .

Where are you located? It could be you card is fine and working with your TV, the "test" signal has been very intermittent over the last week. I've only being getting a weak single for a few hours in the evening.

Just out of interest have anybody else who receives the signal for Mount Leister being getting weak signal or nothing at all over the last few days? I've previously being getting very strong signal from my high gain attic aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 naturalblue

Hey Jobryne30
    I got the card from slegs of Saortv.

I said I would check it on another TV first before giving up on it.
    I am currently located in Rathmines in Dublin but am going to test the card in a TV in Laois.
    Is there any digital signals down there yet?

Does it sound like the card is working if all the card information is present and accessible, also the TV says CVI module detected when I plug it in.
    The LG TV just says Loading Text on DTT channels, I cannot find out any information from the manual or on the web of what this means.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Wait till the service starts next year and then get a Setbox. The cards are poorer.

• Advertisement

Hi naturalblue , I've not got any signal at all for the last few days . I would agree with what watty says to a point. It may be best to wait until next year for the service to start before buying any equipment. Personally I won't buy a box set box or a cam card ever, I'm a D.I.Y. home theater PC user and I am receiving free-sat and free-view (well the Irish test dtt) on a nice PC I've made. I purchased my DVB-T card early in the year when the September start date for the service was still being floated about. In my case the DVB-T pci card was a not too expensive add on to an up and running system and it will work with the aid of software decoding. Also my dvb-t card is hybrid so can receive analogue too, it was a safe bet as such.

When the signal is available I find the quality to be top notch , it's just a shame the roll out was delayed but in my case the equipment I purchased will work when ever the DTT service becomes available (At least I hope so !!! ) and it also works with the analogue service.

I would still like confirmation from a somebody else that the signal from mount leinster is gone so I can rule out something like a fault in my master head amp.

Hi naturalblue , I've not got any signal at all for the last few days . I would agree with what watty says to a point. It may be best to wait until next year for the service to start before buying any equipment. Personally I won't buy a box set box or a cam card ever, I'm a D.I.Y. home theater PC user and I am receiving free-sat and free-view (well the Irish test dtt) on a nice PC I've made. I purchased my DVB-T card early in the year when the September start date for the service was still being floated about. In my case the DVB-T pci card was a not too expensive add on to an up and running system and it will work with the aid of software decoding. Also my dvb-t card is hybrid so can receive analogue too, it was a safe bet as such.

When the signal is available I find the quality to be top notch , it's just a shame the roll out was delayed but in my case the equipment I purchased will work when ever the DTT service becomes available (At least I hope so !!! ) and it also works with the analogue service.

I would still like confirmation from a somebody else that the signal from mount leinster is gone so I can rule out something like a fault in my master head amp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Grovel

Just got a surprise when I picked up Irish DTT test on Ch61 today. PQ not too bad (much pixelation) - but pleasantly surprised given the horrible analogue reception. Not sure if broadcast originates from Three Rock or Kippure, my loft aerial points in the general direction of both from North Kildare. (If I was serious about getting terrestrial TV I would get properly aligned external aerial installed.)

I was a little surprised to get pictures on my Brit spec'd Panasonic TXP42G10B. Was unsure whether this TV was capable of receiving Irish DTT (I know it has MPEG4 capability for FreeSat HD - don't know if todays reception is MP2 or MP4).

Interested to see if it hangs together for final DTT roll-out. Not really expecting it to - planning to get external STB if I opted to get domestic Irish channels via terrestrial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Grovel wrote: »
    Just got a surprise when I picked up Irish DTT test on Ch61 today. PQ not too bad (much pixelation) - but pleasantly surprised given the horrible analogue reception. Not sure if broadcast originates from Three Rock or Kippure, my loft aerial points in the general direction of both from North Kildare. (If I was serious about getting terrestrial TV I would get properly aligned external aerial installed.)

I was a little surprised to get pictures on my Brit spec'd Panasonic TXP42G10B. Was unsure whether this TV was capable of receiving Irish DTT (I know it has MPEG4 capability for FreeSat HD - don't know if todays reception is MP2 or MP4).

Interested to see if it hangs together for final DTT roll-out. Not really expecting it to - planning to get external STB if I opted to get domestic Irish channels via terrestrial.

Final DTT rollout is DVB-T/ MPEG4. This Panasonic is DVB-T/MPEG4 so it will work. You should also get Digital Aertel on RTE when you press text. There were issues with some other Panasonics where even though they were DVB-T/MPEG4 the firmware wasnt updated to latest DVB-T spec thereby ignoring the codec identifier RTE were using.

The DVB-T tuner in your Panasonic will be as good as any Set top box you wish to purchase. Your only reason to get an STB is for recording purposes.

From what I've read on here it appears that RTÉ have reverted the service descriptor type back to 0x01. When it was set to 0x16 the Panasonic Freesat TVs wouldn't pick it up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Karsini wrote: »
    From what I've read on here it appears that RTÉ have reverted the service descriptor type back to 0x01. When it was set to 0x16 the Panasonic Freesat TVs wouldn't pick it up.

Apparently some of RTE NL engineers- actually read this forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

smccarrick wrote: »

Yes they do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fuzionzone

Hi,

I have been receiving MPEG4 Tests from 3-Rock Mountain since august 2008 with only the occasional interruption of service.

This evening, Monday 31.08.2009, I am getting no signal on DTT.

I am based in Dublin City Centre.
    It was working earlier this morning before I went to work.

Is anyone else having a similar problem ?

Regards,

FZ

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

ch 54 is off right now, try ch 61

DigiDec wrote: »
    ch 54 is off right now, try ch 61
    Do you know if Ch61 transmission originates from Three Rock or Kippure? (I read that Three Rock was transmitting on ch54)

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    ... so is there an opportunity to influence RTÉNL to maintain the service descriptor type as 0x01 so that Panasonic FreeSat TVs will continue to work in future. This will save me (and many others, I am sure) some money and save cluttering up living rooms around the country with unnecessary ancillary boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fuzionzone

Hi,

DTT from 3-Rock mountain Dublin gone for me (Dublin City Centre) Monday 31.08.2009 @ 1900.
    Was working earlier this morning before I went to work.
    RTE1,RTE2,TV3,TG4,RTENLTest were broadcast on channels 54.
    Nothing coming in tonight.
    I have tried channel 61 but am getting no signal either.
    Anyone else having this problem ?

FZ

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Red Giant

nothing here in Glasnevin tonight except crap analogoe

Sorry! Analogue!!!!

Do you know if Ch61 transmission originates from Three Rock or Kippure? (I read that Three Rock was transmitting on ch54)
    61 is kippure.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 904473

I am in Balbriggan. I am still getting digital from RTE. The only problem I have this week is that there is no sound with the picture on digital services. I am using a Philips 42PFL9803 TV.

Im northside Dublin and getting them on Ch 61 still from Kippure, ch 54 is off

All channels back here today

ch 54 back now from Three Rock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gfinn

Didn't notice any interruption from Woodcock hill. I'm seeing the time in the EPG getting mixed up a bit over the last week or so though. Sometimes an hour fast, sometimes correct. I remember an earlier post about that but I wasn't seeing it here at the time.

Advertisement