Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Peckham Pacer" check-in thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Peckham wrote: »
    RacoonQueen
    Looks like a good week planned, and good session yesterday. Lots of gym sessions there, so just make sure the running takes priority. Good planning on the long run - I love getting my long run out of the way on Friday evening. The beers afterwards are a lot more enjoyable!

Rejoining the gym, my big fear was falling in love with the gym scene again and not getting out on the road at all/as much as I should. I'm trying to ensure that I get in all my miles in this week at the very least, even if some are done on the treadmill. Trying to get running back to being priority again now I'm able to run longer distances again, gym work and keeping the strengthening and cross training going is a very close second, I wouldn't have recovered this soon from injury if I hadn't been doing so much gym work and I certainly wouldn't have run 13 miles last Friday.

And thanks for correcting Christie I was almost worried I'd lost a week of training for the 5 miler.

Just under 10 very strange miles. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Peckham

Just under 10 very strange miles. :D

There's clearly a story behind that you're not telling us!

Although most "normal" people would argue that running 10 miles is strange in itself!

There's clearly a story behind that you're not telling us!

Although most "normal" people would argue that running 10 miles is strange in itself!

Well my battery went at just over 8 miles so I can only vouch for the first 8 miles of my run but all 8 of them were at a faster pace than I ran on Monday when I was TRYING to run faster. Didn't feel like I was pushing myself at all on Wednesday, I was feeling very relaxed and comfortable(other than a few of those damn pangs of pain in my knee). I don't know whether it was more down to the fact that in my head I was going out for an easy run and I was going to relax and get my 10 miles done or my 'speed session' on Monday worked miracles. :eek:

Thurdsay and Friday kind of fell apart on me, had planned a gym session for Thursday evening but had a rough day in work and was jaded when I got home so I opted for bringing the dogs to the park and doing a bit of light jogging while I played with them, came home and fell into bed early doors. I figured with planning the 14 miler for Friday night I'd be best off giving myself a rest anyway. Friday came and again I was absolutely jaded and my knee had been playing up all day brought the dogs out again and ran a bit with them again but it felt like I was dragging a fire truck behind me, knee still feels a bit sore today, same knee as I injured before but maybe I knocked it off something because it's paining me when I'm not running which didn't happen last time so hopefully I can still run and it'll pass in a few days. I'm going to the gym this morning for some light weights and a swim and will be trying the run this evening, I'm going to go out with the intention of getting the 14 miles done but going carefully making sure I don't aggravate the knee. There is always tomorrow for the long run anyway so I don't want to get too caught up with pushing myself to do it tonight. All in all, providing I do manage to get out today and tomorrow this weeks training will have gone really well and I'll have only actually missed out on one 4 mile run, bit disappointed that I've missed two gym sessions but running is the priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hope your training is going well.

Week 3 down:
    • Monday: Rest
    • Tuesday: 10 x 400m & 3 mile warm up/down
    • Wednesday: 3 mile slow on threadmill & 40 mins weights
    • Thursday: 8.5 miles tempo with club (ave 7min 34sec). This took a lot out of me was like a race at times. Felt good though.
    • Friday:Rest & 9 holes of golf (2hrs walking)
    • Saturday: 4 miles slow (ran too soon after eating and didn't enjoy it, ah well) & 40 mins upper body weights
    • Sunday: 12 miles @ about 8min 30s. Enjoyed that, legs felt comfy. Running around Celbridge with a Dublin jersey on, good banter from people on the way to the match.

Very happy with the week. Tired at times but the fitness is coming back and feeling quite positive.

Up the Dubs! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

After only clocking 26m (Week 2 inc. 1 race ) and 9m (Week 3), both hampered by injury, I'm looking forward to a nice clear run at things this week. Plan on 7 days, 2 of which will be Tergat easy 4m runs (Mon / Fri), then 8 (w/ 10 x 100) Tues, 5 Wed, 10 Thurs and the 5m Race on Sat, LSR (ca. 12) Sunday.

Did the 5 miler in the park, detailed report in my log but my splits were;

Splits were:
    8:27
    8:09
    8:00
    8:52(this was the hill on the upper glen road, not really sure how to explain this time though )
    7:55(my first post injury sub 8 minute mile)

Fairly happy but bit disappointed I didn't manage to push closer to the sub 39 target I'd set pre-injury. Oh well, there's always next month...I'm strongly considering setting myself a sub 80 target. :eek:

Well done RacoonQ. I saw your post over on the 'call your time' thread. Sound like a stalker but I hope your Mam is alright.

PB for me yesterday so very happy with 33.41 (previous was around 37 40 in Raheny in January)

Here are my splits:

I couldn't have gone 1 second faster, gave it everything.

Going to do cross training today and some weights. Long run tomorrow morning and then flying to Barcelona :D Can't wait for some nice beer, wine and food. Just delighted to not have to work next week. Sorry if you folks have to work next week :D I'm bringing the runners and I'll do my best to get out.

"We're all going on a...summer holiday. No more running for a week or two". Sorry I'm a bit excited.

Splits from yesterday:
    33.50 finish.
    I have my excuses, but I'll leave 'em in my bog! Great week up to today, all runs went according to plan. Currently v hungover, 15m in the sched *must get out of bed and run, must get out of bed and run...*

Week 4 & 5 down

Week 4
    • Tuesday: Speed work at club. Don't know what to call this session. Started with 3mins hard, then 2 mins recovery, 2 mins hard, 1 min recovery, 30 sec hard, 30 sec recovery and start again. (x2) (3 mile slow warm up also)
    • Wed: 4 mile @ 8.30 min/mile. 40 mins weights.
    • Thursday: 3 miles @ 7.45 min/mile
    • Friday: 2hrs walking around playing lousy golf.
    • Saturday: 5 mile race @ 6.40 min/mile. As above finished in 33.40 PB.
    • Sunday: leaving long run for Monday

Very low milage but long run at start of week 5 makes up a bit.

Week 5
    • Monday: 14miles @ 8.11 min/mile Splits were fairly consistant. Happy, holiday time.
    • Tuesday: Got drunk, ate too much. Happy
    • Wednesday: 5.6 miles @ 9.23 min/mile but 30 degree heat. Stupid idea. Didn't enjoy.
    • Thursday: Got drunk ate too much. Happy.
    • Friday: Got drunk, ate too much. Happy.
    • Saturday: Needed to run that booze off. 5km (according to my Garmin) in 20min 11sec. Trying to break that 20min mark but a few days of boozing etc etc. Thought I'd be worse all the same.
    • Sunday: 12 miles @ 8.07 min/mile

Happy enough considering I spent 5 days away. I blame the gf, bad influence. The weeks are flying by, can't believe we are into week 6 already. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭WhitestBoyAlive

Hey, I think i sign up a little bit after the first DCM email went out

I got - Dublin Marathon E-Newsletter No 2‏ -

Does anyone have the first?
    Cheers

Hey, I think i sign up a little bit after the first DCM email went out

I got - Dublin Marathon E-Newsletter No 2‏ -

Does anyone have the first?
    Cheers

Hi WhitestBoy,

I don't think I've received a mail like that. Who exactly is it from and I can do a proper search in my inbox. There is a DCM thread in the ART forum : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055490931

you might get an answer there.

Misty

Hi folks,

I'm a really bad mentor, yes I'm very conscious of that and am resolving to have more regular interaction with you. Kind of lost my love for running for a while and avoided even think about it.....

So - how's it going for everyone?

Misty - you're allowed a week or two like those, but need to get back on track again. :D What's week 6 looking like so far?

Hey Peckham,

Hope your getting back into it. I think we're happy here anyway...well I am. Week 6 is kind of like this (I hope):

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 11 x 600m (2 mile warm up). Very happy with last nights training. Was consistant over the 11 runs +/- 2 seconds.

Plan for rest of week:

Tonight: 4 miles easy & a bit of weights

Thurs: 8 - 9 miles (3 miles tempo)

Friday: cross or rest

Saturday: Might try the hill work in the club (just to see what its like) or a 5 or 6 miler on my own. What pace would you run these runs (day before lsr)?

Sunday: Stepping it up to a 15 or 16 miler (need to consult the plan).

I'm happy to take the rest days when I am. Getting good sessions in the club Tuesdays and Wednesdays and find I have to rest Fri. Weekends work out well with slower type stuff and again the rest on Monday really helps to get the legs fresh for Tuesday.

I feel I need to increase the long runs. Even though I'm following the plan...need to be patient?

Cheers

Misty, weeks 4 and 5 were a disaster for me, I missed my long runs both weeks for one reason or another but this is a new week. Had a great session last night and will get out tonight for 5 miles(I hope, I have an interview tomorrow so I should really bet preparing) I've got a head cold at the moment too, nicely timed too just as other areas of my life calmed down enough for me to launch into the training again :mad:

Misty, weeks 4 and 5 were a disaster for me, I missed my long runs both weeks for one reason or another but this is a new week. Had a great session last night and will get out tonight for 5 miles(I hope, I have an interview tomorrow so I should really bet preparing) I've got a head cold at the moment too, nicely timed too just as other areas of my life calmed down enough for me to launch into the training again :mad:

ah no, that is so frustrating. Could be worse though....at least its only week 6. Good luck in the interview.

I really should get my own log going, anyway.......

Week 6 down.
    • Tuesday: Speed work. 2 mile warm up & 11 x 600's. Felt really good.
    • Wednesday: 4 miles slow
    • Thursday: 10 miles with club. Last three miles were very fast. Again, felt good.
    • Friday: Rest (was needed)
    • Saturday: 6 miles @ 7.50 min/mile
    • Sunday: 16 miles @ 8.20 min/mile (Legs felt tired for the first 4 miles. Alright after that.

Really happy to hit over 40 miles last week. Went and got drunk yesterday to drown the sorrows after the Dublin game :mad: but I'm not that annoyed with myself as I think skipping todays speed work will do the legs some good. Don't really have an option anyway....I'm dying today.

That's a good week misty....how has this week been?

48m deposited in the bank this week, happy with recent progress (3 weeks @ 50 / 52 / 48m). Hopefully I'll be rewarded with a nice time on Saturday....

Next week says 57m inc a nice 11m (w/ 6 @ tempo) on Mon or Tues, I'll get it in tomorrow if the legs are fresh enough

That's a good week misty....how has this week been?

Well last week wasn't as good anyway Peckham. Ah well. I drowned my sorrows after the Dublin game and was in London all weekend. Didn't skip on the long run, which I'm happy about. So,

Week 7 down:
    • Monday: 45 mins weights and streching
    • Tuesday: Hungover...useless
    • Wednesday: 6 miles. Avg: 7.56. ( Splits: 7:10, 8.00, 7.54, 7.54, 7.53, 7.49)
    • Thursday: Longish run with club. 10 miles avg: 7.41 (Splits: 9:07, 8.07, 7.42, 7.29, 7.27, 6.59, 7.09, 7.38, 7.57, 7.16) & 1.2 mile cool down. I took Tergats advice on cooling down after a hard session. About 15 mins slow jog. I was having trouble sleeping after sessions like these and I really think the cool down helped because I was asleep as soon as I hit the pillow....Placebo? Don't know or care but I'm going to keep doing those cool downs.
    • Friday: Rest
    • Saturday: LSR 17 miles. Ave: 8.30. Kind of struggled with this...it was quite warm in London on Saturday and I just wasn't firing on all cylinders. Very happy I got it done....guilt free pints on Saturday night. Also done a 4hr bike tour....was dead easy/slow. Highly recommended if you visit London: http://fattirebiketours.com/london
    • Sunday: Hungover....useless.

Not a great total milage for that week (34) but not the worst. Christeb, good stuff there. Your following Hal H intermediate 2?

• Advertisement

Christeb, good stuff there. Your following Hal H intermediate 2?

Thanks, was actually out running with your buddy tunguska yesterday, tough man to keep up with!
    I'm following P&D with the rest days subbed with 4m tergat runs. So far so good!

christeb wrote: »
    Thanks, was actually out running with your buddy tunguska yesterday, tough man to keep up with!

Ah no way. I wouldn't even try to keep up with him.

Ah no way. I wouldn't even try to keep up with him.

Well he was coming off an 18 miler and was being nice to us, so he didn't go too far ahead!

Week 8 down:
    • Monday: 7 miles (8.15 pace)
    • Tuesday: 7 x 800m speed work (warm up/down) - approx 6.5 miles total
    • Wednesday: 7.5 miles @ 7.49 pace
    • Thursday: Rest
    • Saturday: Frank Duffy 10mile @ 7.04 min mile - 70min 42sec
      Splits: 708/651/712/726/703/649/648/657/714/638 (Happy with that, PB)
    • Sunday: 10 mile @ 8.16 pace

41 miles total including a speed work session and a 10 mile race. Didn't get my lsr in but the legs were tired after the race. Happy overall. We are into week 9 already :eek:

The plan this week (a bit ambitious) is to nail some long runs. 10mile Thursday with 3m tempo, 8-10 mile Saturday and 18 mile Sunday. I'd like to step up the pace in the later miles of the LSR but I'll see how the legs are.

Over and out.

Last week

Monday - Just over four miles; hill session
    Tuesday - 8 miles
    Wednesday - Gym
    Thursday - 4 miles, did some leg work at the gym to work on the knees so took it easy
    Friday - Gym
    Saturday - 10 miles
    Sunday - 18 miles

So 40 miles plus two gym sessions. Not three bad. :)

Plan for the next week;
    Monday - Rest *cough*
    Tuesday - 6 miles
    Wednesday - 14 miles
    Thursday - 6 miles
    Friday - Rest/gym
    Saturday - 6 miles w/6x100m or 15 miles w/12 @ MP
    Sunday - whichever session I didn't do on Saturday

Week 9 down:
    • Tuesday: Speed work. 10 x 600m with 1.5 min rest (3 mile warm up/cool down)
    • Wednesday: 3m (tired legs from last weekends race I think)
    • Thursday: 10 mile + 2 mile cool down. 10 mile Splits: 820/830/732/745/714/723/725/704/702/701 Average of 7.32 min/mile. That was tough, really enjoyed it
    • Saturday: LSR 18 mile @ 8.13 min/mile Last 2 miles were hard. Happy with the pace of that considering it was around tracks of Phoenix park. I'd like to think that slows you down a bit.
    • Sunday: 3m slow run. 40 mins weights.

Total of about 41 miles. Happy with that. Note to self: take it easy doing speed training after a 10 mile race.

Looking good, MistyFloyd.That's a solid week. What sort of time are you doing for the 600s?

What sort of time are you doing for the 600s?

Here is the last 600m we completed: Last lap My Garmin has it down as 643m but thats obviously wrong. It was on a 300m track.

The times were around the 2.02 to 2.20 region. I wasn't consistant and was told to take it easy on a couple which suited me fine.

LSR now Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I'm dreading this today. Not enjoying my running this week for some reason. Just felt like a little moan.

• Advertisement

Week 10:
    • Tuesday: 14 x 400's @ around 80sec pace average. Total 8 miles (warm up and about 4miles slow)
    • Wednesday: 7.5 miles @ 8.15 min/mile
    • Thursday: 9 miles @ 7.23 min/mile (1 mile warm down). That was a hard session. Very windy in the Phoenix park.
    • Saturday: 19 miles with 8 MP. The other 11 miles were not far off that MP of 7.50 min/mile pace. Average altogether was 8 min/mile.
    • Sunday: Rest. Got drunk at the world culture festival...very happy I did that. Good craic and good to catch up with friends.

About 45 miles total. Didn't enjoy the week really (except lsr) but happy with the runs in the bag.

Peckham, I read your advice to someone that the MP miles are good for confidence. You were dead right. I was dreading that one due to a tough few weeks. It done wonders for my confidence. But. I think I have over cooked a little. The rest of the miles were not that much slower than MP. After the 19 miles, I felt a little bit weak/sick. It felt a bit like (just a bit) after the Belfast marathon where I hit a wall bad. I had to lay down for about 2 hrs on Sat. It could have been lack of calories as I felt a lot better after some food. A lucozade sport was all I had during the run. Must get more gels. What do you use Peckham?

I'm going to drop the lsr miles this weekend and take it easy on tomorrows speed session. Actually might do a short run instead. In saying all of the above, I'm not that bad but I was jaded until today.

Advertisement