Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Peckham Pacer" check-in thread

Options
  • 18-06-2009 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭

Hello all Peckham Pacers,

I deliberately didn't start this thread until now, as I wanted to wait until we were into the DCM countdown period, which, with 18 and a bit weeks to go is where we are now.

Some of you have been in touch with me by email, and that is my prefered way to deal with any queries you have/questions relating to your specific training plan, so here is more to give you a place to chat amongst yourselves, however I'll be keeping an eye on it for any input I can give.

Has everyone thought about their race schedule for the summer? Which ones are you doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

My Marathon schedule (as provisionally inspected and semi-approved by Peckham!) is attached. A good few races there, I have to say I do enjoy the races and immediately look forward to the next one after the initial pain from the previous one has subsided.
    5k in Raheny on Sunday, I'll be on the dry this weekend so looking towards a sub 19 hopefully....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hi Folks. This is great for me....perfect timing. I've been acting the idiot since Belfast in early May. Far too much food and drink so its time to knuckle down. I might rob your format there christeb if thats ok, more laziness on my part ;)

So to answer your question Pecham (from your PM), I'm up for this.

A sub 19 christeb, your flying with training.

5 miler for me tonight. Will post my plan this weekend. Later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Still suffering a bit with my injury, can only get to 2.5 - 3 miles before I start feeling the knee too much. That been said, I' ve been really miserable about my apparent lack of mileage...I've done almost 20 miles since last Friday though so if I run tonight I should push it over 20 miles which isn't bad for pre-marathon training schedule. I'll probably be behind a bit for a few weeks while I get fit and strong again, been doing a load of gym work...I'm close but not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Good positive moods above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

christeb wrote: »
    My Marathon schedule (as provisionally inspected and semi-approved by Peckham!) is attached. A good few races there, I have to say I do enjoy the races and immediately look forward to the next one after the initial pain from the previous one has subsided.
    5k in Raheny on Sunday, I'll be on the dry this weekend so looking towards a sub 19 hopefully....
    Will see you there on sunday, will try to be within 2 of your time ;)

• Advertisement

That been said, I' ve been really miserable about my apparent lack of mileage...I've done almost 20 miles since last Friday though so if I run tonight I should push it over 20 miles which isn't bad for pre-marathon training schedule.

Ah sure I'm running way less than 20 miles a week....the miles will be right up in no time. Hope the knee gets better soon. At least its now and not weeks or a couple of months from now.

I've signed up for the adidas series. €48....excellent value imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Peckham,

unfortunately i fear my marathon hopes could be shattered. struggling with tendonitis in my achilles since i ran the le cheile 5k race. been icing, stretching, strenghtening and so on but nothing seems to work. i ve rested for 2 to 3 weeks but cant really afford to just take 4 to 6 weeks off now if i wanna run a marathon. being doing a lot of cycling to compensate and am back running 2*5k's a week on grass. its gradually getting a bit better but i know its still there and once i increase the speed and distance its niggly the next morning. think i ll just have to rest up and give the marathon a miss this time around.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Kennyb,
    sorry to hear that things aren't going well for you.

Yup still up for it. Though haven't run more than about 5 miles in months. Feeling much better (have been sick/under the weather/suffering from mysterious illness) these days as a result of giving up wheat and dairy.

18 weeks next week so the training starts in earnest. From my plan I've to do 32 miles next week. However I've Kilkee triathlon so I'll be counting the triathlon as my long run (12 miles), think a 12 miler would be easier at this stage.

For races, I'll be doing the Dublin half, the Galway 8k and have the Carna Triathlon and Gaelforce to look forward to.

To take it in a bit size chunks I'd say that my main aims for the next four weeks are
    1. to continue to eat well and lose weight (currently 8 stone 11 want to get to my pre-giving-up-smoking weight of 7 stone 9).
    2. not to miss a training run and to concentrate on speed work and tempo runs which I've neglected in the past
    3. stretch, stretch, stretch - I've bought a dvd of stretching for athletes as I am not disciplined when it comes to stretching after a run so I think if I can lash a dvd in and follow it for 20 minutes I've a much better chance of stretching properly.

REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THIS! Go team! :D

Ok, the first week of the 18 week training program (ulp).

Tonight is 7 miles followed by 10 x 100m strides.

Didn't realise it was actually strides that I was meant to be doing until some kind folks posted me back the information on it.

Here's the link if you are also a bit of a village idiot when it comes to stuff like that.

Don't know how I'll manage 7 miles tonight. I did a sprint this weekend and practically went backwards on the run. I actually had to walk up two of the hills (or maybe it was three?). <<blush>>.

And still the size of a small house. There was a particularly unflattering photo of me on the bike which showed off not one but two spare tyres.

To paraphrase a certain parties slogan.
    Not much done, a LOT to do!

The journey begins..... Hang on folks! :D

(do feel a bit excited about it though)

It's going to be a Summer of FUN!

I'm doing a 2m race tonight so I'll fit in 5 easy miles in around it. Won't be going at 100% for the race (at least that's what I'm saying now!) as I don't want to tire myself for the half marathon on Saturday - phew I'm getting tired just thinking about it!

• Advertisement

Looks like we'll have some fast moving Peckham Pacers tonight with HardyEustace doing strides and christeb going at about 90% intensity in a 2 mile race.

HardyEustace - one of the things not noted in that thread is that strides are not full-on sprints. Think of it like driving a car - spend about 30 metres moving up through the gears, 40 metres sprinting and then 30 metres going back down through the gears again, and just slow down gradually into a recovery jog.

christeb - it's tough to hold back in a race, especially a short one, so best of luck with that! :)

Ok, the first week of the 18 week training program (ulp).

Tonight is 7 miles followed by 10 x 100m strides.

Didn't realise it was actually strides that I was meant to be doing until some kind folks posted me back the information on it.

Thats my plan as well, I managed a slow 3 miles this morning(I mean slow, injury + 4 hours sleep = slow) IF I get to the gym I'll try and run 3/4 miles on the treadmill and do some intervals or some rubbish like that to try and emulate my schedule as best I can :pac:

Having a bit of an oh-my-god-what-was-I-thinking moment. Didn't do seven miles, didn't do six miles, did just under five miles last night. Didn't do my strides. Set off for my run but
    1. left is WAY too late, it was 7:20 and I hadn't eaten since lunch time so was starving and tired - next time start earlier
    2. The heat and humidity were absolutely beating me to a pulp, I thought I was going to pass out - don't think this will be a massive problem forever, but maybe look at running in the morning when it's cooler
    3. I didn't take account of just how unfit I am. I'm really beginning to worry that a sub-four won't be possible - can't think of any solution to this other than concentrate on the training and see how it goes.
    4. My itb and knees were SORE - so lots of stretching and a sports massage next week i think.

Equally, I've Kilkee this weekend so don't want to hammer the hell out of my legs just before it. After that no more triathlons till Carna so hopefully I'll be able to really concentrate on the running and then assess my chances of a sub-four then. I really am beginning to panic though. Seventeen and a half weeks suddenly seems like a very short space of time.

1. left is WAY too late, it was 7:20 and I hadn't eaten since lunch time so was starving and tired - next time start earlier

Going out when starving not a great idea. I always find a handful of raisins fills the gap when going out running after work, although it's a good idea to have something reasonably filling (e.g. banana, toast etc.) about 90mins-2hrs beforehand
    2. The heat and humidity were absolutely beating me to a pulp, I thought I was going to pass out - don't think this will be a massive problem forever, but maybe look at running in the morning when it's cooler

We all struggled in yesterday's conditions. Fortunately (for runners) those conditions are rare!
    3. I didn't take account of just how unfit I am. I'm really beginning to worry that a sub-four won't be possible - can't think of any solution to this other than concentrate on the training and see how it goes.

That is the only solution. Don't even think about times at the moment, just see what training brings. I'm 13 and a bit weeks off Berlin and also have a long way to go before being at the level I want.
    4. My itb and knees were SORE - so lots of stretching and a sports massage next week i think.

Definitely. If you get tightness during the run, don't be reluctant to stop and stretch.
    Seventeen and a half weeks suddenly seems like a very short space of time.

So much can be done in 17.5 weeks - don't worry! ;)

Did a gym session this evening, pyramid on the treadmill(only 12 minutes of one mind) it was good, tougher mentally than physically, only thing the treadmill is actually good for IMO is things like that pyramids/intervals and the like. Did the rower for 15 minutes, was aiming for 20 but after about 11 minutes I felt as if I was putting everything I could into it and still felt as though my heart rate was at about 80bpm, couldn't get it any higher than 55 strokes/min no matter how much strength and power I put in.

Followed that with 40 mins weights and 20 mins core and stretching. Hopefully I'll be able to launch into more running next week. Plan on a 5 am start again tomorrow and try and get 5 miles or so in before work then another gym sesh after.

^ Good stuff.
    I had another easy "tergat" run tonight, 4 miles on the beach - sure what else would you be doing on an evening like tonight. Plan is for 9 on the hills around Howth tomorrow evening, last tough on before the Half Mara on Sunday....

Pecham, thanks a million for the mail (very useful). Things have been mad busy for me but I'll reply properly tomorrow.

I popped down to Donore Harriers to join yesterday. Well at least to get a feel of the place. Very good vibe there and I enjoyed it for something different. I'm going again tomorrow and I really think I'll stick it out. We did a warm up mile and a half jog (or was it a run.....?). A run.....I run to improve not to just get off the couch :D and went to the track for some speed work :eek: I've never done anything like it. We did 12 x 200m. Probably not good for matathon training (?) but I loved it. I don't think my bpm has ever been so high (no hrm on). The leg muscles are very sore today but I don't think 200's are a regular thing, at least thats the impression I got.

Nothing today (family over for a bbq and legs are sore) but I think we'll hit 7 or 8 miles in the park tomorrow.

Enjoy the weather while we have it.

Though not part of my "official" training plan, I had a small 24k spin on my bike last night.

Going to do a very small run today as have Kilkee on Saturday. Depending on how the body is afterwards, I might still try and get my long run (12m) in on Sunday or MOnday evening. While I know that the recovery and tempo runs are really important, one thing that I have found is that if you do nothing else do your long run.

Legs are still very stiff for some reason. Swimming tonight so hopefully that'll help.

Have been doing lots of snack type eating over the last day or two so that hasn't helped. I can feel it in my body.

Keep forgetting my inhaler as well. Big pain in the butt.

Well, I managed 9.01 miles tonight(plus a walk up Chapelizod hill that I didn't have the guts to run up as I'd had pangs in my knee running up other hills). It was very, very slow at 9:45/mile and an average heartrate of 145 bpm so about 73%. It was AMAZING to be back in the Phoenix Park again, did stop about halfway through, put my hands on my hips, closed my eyes and took a deep breath and thought 'f*ck I missed that smell' :D I was having some sinus pain aswell, I've never had sinus pain before, where the hell did that come from? :eek:

Over the moon to have got 9 miles in my legs tonight, do still have a few pangs here and there, but I did a lot of my run over tree roots and rocks etc so the terrain was tough enough. Playing with the idea of doing the Clontarf half on Sunday, 1.1 miles over Sunday's training plan but just to ease over that distance and enjoy that run. I assume the terrain out there will be fairly easy and running amongst others will probably help me get a bit more speed into my legs. I'll see how I'm feeling in the morning before I decide on Clontarf, hopefully the rest of the pangs will begin to ease so I can start getting some speed into my legs again.

Playing with the idea of doing the Clontarf half on Sunday, 1.1 miles over Sunday's training plan but just to ease over that distance and enjoy that run. I assume the terrain out there will be fairly easy and running amongst others will probably help me get a bit more speed into my legs. I'll see how I'm feeling in the morning before I decide on Clontarf, hopefully the rest of the pangs will begin to ease so I can start getting some speed into my legs again.

Good to get the miles in again. The terrain on Sunday is as flat as a pancake, and if you're looking to take it a bit easier, the sand will benefit you (damn sand!). it should be a nice one....

Got 8m in myself tonight, up, down and around Howth Hill, a beautiful evening to be out.

• Advertisement

Just been putting my schedule into my diary and ical and notice that two of the Saturday 8-15k races in it fall the same days as the Dingle half marathon and the Dublin half marathon. Would they be suitable to slot in for this if say you only actually 'raced' 15k? I'm running the Dublin half anyway, I'm already registered anyway...a nice few k of a warm up and then go hell for leather? :D

Week one is complete. Really got the head down so I'm happy.

Monday: Rest :D 9 holes of golf.
    Tues: Joined club. 1.5mile warmup. 12x200m (Very hard session)
    Wednesday: Had to rest, legs were killing me
    Thursday: 9.5 miles club training (8 min 10s average). Started off easy enough and done last 3 or 4 miles at around 7.30 min miles.
    Friday: Cross trained. 40 mins cycle. Felt tired today from the club training.
    Saturday: 3 miles easy. 40 mins weights upper body. 9 holes of golf. (still tired and muscles are sore but not as bad as Fri)
    Sunday: 9 miles medium effort (Prob 9min mile average). Very warm. Legs feeling better. Gotta watch the shins with sudden increase in training....getting a little sore.

Week 1 summary: A tough week for me and feel like I've shocked the body a bit. Looking forward to week two. Starting with a cross train tomorrow.

Had a great finish to the wk, Sat was the Santry Boardsie sprint sesh w/Tingle and got 4 easy m in after.
    Sunday was the Half Marathon - 99:28 which I'm semi-satisfied with considering the conditions. Ran the last 1.6m barefoot so my feet are the sorest thing today, I'm sure they'll get over themselves quickly though!

Total 40m (inc 2 races - 2m / 13.1m)

This week should be good, can't wait for the race on Weds...
    Mon - 4m easy
    Tues -5
    Wed - Duathlon in the Phoenix Park
    Thurs - 10
    Fri - Rest / 4m easy
    Sat - 5
    Sun - 13

Just been putting my schedule into my diary and ical and notice that two of the Saturday 8-15k races in it fall the same days as the Dingle half marathon and the Dublin half marathon. Would they be suitable to slot in for this if say you only actually 'raced' 15k? I'm running the Dublin half anyway, I'm already registered anyway...a nice few k of a warm up and then go hell for leather? :D

To be honest I'd race the Dublin half, but dependent on what long runs you have in the weekends around it. Still haven't seen a training schedule from you yet, have I?! ;)

Week 1 summary: A tough week for me and feel like I've shocked the body a bit. Looking forward to week two. Starting with a cross train tomorrow.

Good to have a strong week behind you, but listen to the body and if it feels "shocked", give it a bit of rest (i.e. drop tomorrow's club speed session if you don't feel 100% ready for it, or sit out of every second interval that they do).

Peckham wrote: »
    To be honest I'd race the Dublin half, but dependent on what long runs you have in the weekends around it. Still haven't seen a training schedule from you yet, have I?! ;)

Sorry teacher!! Do I get a detention for that? :(

Week one:
    Monday:Rest
    Tuesday: 3 miles - easy got up at 5am for this one and it was still very warm. Was planning a gym session that evening but got errr...sidetracked.
    Wednesday: Gym - mix of cardio, weights and core work
    Thursday: 9 miles. Longest run since 15th of May when I ran an 11 miler...on the 16th of May I rested, on the 17th of May I ran 6 miles and was in agony the whole way round.
    Friday: Gym - mix of cardio, weights and core work
    Saturday: 4 miles - easy, noticed my speed was starting to improve, still not running anywhere near my top 'easy' pace however one of those miles was the right side of 9 minutes.
    Sunday: Was absolutely jaded, the plan Peckham emailed me had me down for a 12 mile run, had been really looking forward to this since I managed the 9 miler on Thursday but really wasn't feeling up to it so I went to the gym instead did just over 5k on the treadmill in 24:28 at 2.5% incline plus some upper body weights.

Very happy with last week, disappointed with myself for not doing my second session on Tuesday. Still buzzing from the 9 mile run on Thursday, still can't believe I comfortably ran that far. Still having some pangs of pain from the injury but I'm not feeling any post run effects just some shooting pains on impact here and there. All in all with outdoor and indoor runs I clocked up about 26 miles last week.

Plan for this week
    Monday:Gym - Treadmill and/or crosstrainer, some weights and a long core session
    Tuesday: THIS or the planned 8 miles w/8 x 100. I might just run to and from the park and do the race.
    Wednesday: Gym - swimming maybe...I love my weights though and will most likely end up in the weights room and doing core work
    Thursday: 10 miles.
    Friday: Gym - see above
    Saturday: + Sunday: - training plan has 5 miles for Saturday and 13 miles down for Sunday but I've applied for the Farmleigh 5k so still deciding on a strategy for next weekend, I'm not really all that pushed about a PB in Farmleigh so might do the 13 miles on Saturday and just do whatever I can on Sunday? Feel free to offer your opinions. :)

I lay down on my bed at 6 for a rest, planning to go out at 6:30 for the 8 mile session then woke up a few minutes ago still feeling jaded. I missed the Tuesday session last week as well so have again missed the chance to do a bit of speedwork :( should I try to get this session in tomorrow? if I can get up early enough I'll try get a run in tomorrow morning. This is about the third tuesday in a row that I've missed my evening training session due to tiredness so think I'll be having a look a the training plan to make Tuesday a rest day so I don't feel so bad about missing out.:(

I lay down on my bed at 6 for a rest, planning to go out at 6:30 for the 8 mile session then woke up a few minutes ago still feeling jaded. I missed the Tuesday session last week as well so have again missed the chance to do a bit of speedwork :( should I try to get this session in tomorrow? if I can get up early enough I'll try get a run in tomorrow morning. This is about the third tuesday in a row that I've missed my evening training session due to tiredness so think I'll be having a look a the training plan to make Tuesday a rest day so I don't feel so bad about missing out.:(

This used to happen to me quite a lot. Luckily now I have a training partner which rules that out. It is very frustrating though. Maybe set an alarm next time? I also find it helps to think of the bigger picture, and just do what you can to throw on the gear and get out the door, that's the hardest part as we all know!

Wk 2 going well so far. Have ANOTHER race tomorrow, the Duathlon in the Park. Can't wait, I enjoy these events hugely, plan is to go sub 43 (last month was 43:07 (IIRC).
    Thursdays 10m is planned to be at 0530 with my training bud, hopefully the legs will manage it after the race, otherwise I'll just skip it...

• Advertisement

christeb wrote: »
    This used to happen to me quite a lot. Luckily now I have a training partner which rules that out. It is very frustrating though. Maybe set an alarm next time? I also find it helps to think of the bigger picture, and just do what you can to throw on the gear and get out the door, that's the hardest part as we all know!

I usually change into it as soon as I get home from work as I get changed when I come in anyway, then sit down for a quick bite to eat and a cup of tea. In fairness I did just do 7 days straight of training with two days where I did two sessions so I suppose I deserve a rest but it just happens I was really looking forward to tonights session, till I actually lay in bed. I didn't expect to fall asleep. :pac:

Advertisement