Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Peckham Pacer" check-in thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

13 miles yesterday: 2 mile warm up. 3 x 2 miles @ HMP, jog 2 minutes between, then 6 x 100m @ 5k, jog 100 and a three mile slow cool down

Added another mile between a set of HMP miles as my stomach was hurting. Trapped wind.

Felt very weak at the end. All cylinders are not firing. Have been feeling weak since Thursday even between runs...not good.

Wedding today. No running until Monday....which I need. To hell with the plan.

Only 38 miles this week but 20 on Monday if I feel up to it.

Later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Had a really good week of training, even with the fall and swelled up knee. Took a rest on Thursday and went out for a 11 - 12 miler last night. Did a bit of walking in it but it was mostly run. Will head out this evening for a 3 hour/20 mile(whichever is shortest) run and take in some of the marathon route, might not be the same at night but just to get the mood going and get used to where the hills are again etc. Can't believe it's only 3 weeks to go, badly need a MASSIVE piss up, have we decided on the venue/time for post race drinks yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

The beatles and radiohead are my two favourite bands. Love Simon & Garfunkel. Not something I'd listen to just before a race though. I must check out Aphex Twin, thanks.

Im more of a kid A man than an OK computer. Dont get me wrong, Ok computer is a classic but I just love the strangeness and atmosphere of Kid A. Also think In rainbows was off the scale. If only every band was as good as Radiohead..............

Anyway thats going seriously off topic. Youre a fierce man for the weddings. But I suppose its the sister and its gotta be done. But I know you'll be the smart one and look after yourself. For sure it wont be you climbing onto a table wearing a lampshade on your head.........well not this time anyway.
    Youre grinding it out dude and thats good. I know your legs were in a bit of a jock after the half and its kind of all catching up with you. I put up some details in the main forum of a session on tuesday that me, niall and one of the other lads will be doing. It'll be at 7mins/mile so maybe you'd like to tag a long for a few miles of that? Be a decent tempo session for you.

P.s. have you noticed that Im giving you a severe hiding in the fantasy football? Have you noticed who is sitting on top of the prestigious Hewlett Packard league? Yes that would be me. Oh how the tables have turned.......

I apologise for the shameful Gloating

Can't believe it's only 3 weeks to go, badly need a MASSIVE piss up, have we decided on the venue/time for post race drinks yet?

The conrad hotel is where the boards marathon pacers are staying and drinking. As a peckham pacer thats where I'll be going....I hope it ain't too posh in there.

Well, at a wedding all day Saturday which was great craic and recoverd Sunday. Ate well yesterday but piged out on some junk late last night...carb loading.

Just completed 21.3 miles. I wasn't happy having to take today off work to do it but its a great day out there and I enjoyed todays LSR :eek: First one I've enjoyed in ages. Plan was to go out and stick to a pace that would feel comfortable. Average pace: 7:45 min/mile. I finished feeling strongish. I couldn't be arsed working out the standard deviation of the splits but it would be low. Very consistant.

I'm including todays run in week 15 :D I missed Sat and Sun and sure the marathon is on a Monday.

Week 15 down:
    • Monday: Rest
    • Tuesday: 10 mile 8'00 min/mile (horrrible run)
    • Wednesday: 10 mile 7'45 min/mile (felt better)
    • Thursday: 5 mile easy
    • Friday: 13 mile. 2 mile warm up. 3 x 2 miles @ HMP, jog 2 minutes between, then 6 x 100m @ 5k, jog 100 and a three mile slow cool down. Gave it socks but felt crappy at the end. Must of eaten something dodge this week. I don't know.
    • Saturday: Drinking
    • Sunday: Recovering
    • Monday: 21.3 mile at 7'45 min/mile.

Total (sort of): 59.3 miles

Taper. Nice one.

Tunguska, cheers I'll pass tomorrows run. Yes I noticed your top of that league alright. Pity your the only one trying ;)

• Advertisement

Tunguska, cheers I'll pass tomorrows run. Yes I noticed your top of that league alright. Pity your the only one trying ;)

Well Im no longer top, had a howler thanks to man utd not showing up to play sunderland. It appears Im not the only one trying.........
    Although I see Leeds are doing well in that lower league theyre occupying these days. I mean while we have the champions league to look forward to you have whats it called? The Johnstone paint trophy? A prestigious competition if there ever was one.

tunguska wrote: »
    Well Im no longer top, had a howler thanks to man utd not showing up to play sunderland. It appears Im not the only one trying.........
    Although I see Leeds are doing well in that lower league theyre occupying these days. I mean while we have the champions league to look forward to you have whats it called? The Johnstone paint trophy? A prestigious competition if there ever was one.

Woah...I'll have you know that getting knocked out of the JPT is far, far less embarrassing than winning it. Champions League and Premiership are crap anyway. League one is where it's at.

Its all relative my friend.

Your running goals are a lot higher than mine (2'34 for the marathon :eek:)
    If I get a time that I'm after I'll be just as happy as you.
    If Leeds won League 1, I would be just as happy than you would be if Liverpool won the premiership.

Oh you never said. How did Liverpool get on at the weekend? :D

Now get out of the Pecham pacers thread ;)

Woah...I'll have you know that getting knocked out of the JPT is far, far less embarrassing than winning it. Champions League and Premiership are crap anyway. League one is where it's at.

In fairness its an enormous trophy. I reckon you could fit a decent sized man into that thing.
    Ive nothing against Leeds really, I mean they gave us that lunatic Norman Hunter after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPZnXgKl70I

Classic stuff, I tell you they were proper hard men in those days, none of this sports science crap.

Its all relative my friend.

Your running goals are a lot higher than mine (2'34 for the marathon :eek:)
    If I get a time that I'm after I'll be just as happy as you.
    If Leeds won League 1, I would be just as happy than you would be if Liverpool won the premiership.

Oh you never said. How did Liverpool get on at the weekend? :D

Now get out of the Pecham pacers thread ;)

Meeeeooowww.......I think I hit a nerve. Here, this will cheer you up:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C21yssFhCsk

• Advertisement

In fairness its an enormous trophy. I reckon you could fit a decent sized man into that thing.
    Ive nothing against Leeds really, I mean they gave us that lunatic Norman Hunter after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPZnXgKl70I

Classic stuff, I tell you they were proper hard men in those days, none of this sports science crap.

I shook his hand and hugged him. How ace am I? :D

I shook his hand and hugged him. How ace am I? :D

Thats deadly! I'd love to meet him, although I'd be a bit afraid that he'd do something mad like swing a dig at me or something.
    Billy Bremner was even madder......

Week 16. Tues 6th to Monday 12th.
    • Tuesday: Rest after the previous days 21miler
    • Wednesday: 10 miles @ 7'15 min/mile. Felt top notch. Really enjoyed.
    • Thursday: 10 miles with lads from club. 8'00 min/mile pace.
    • Friday: 5 miles easy. Really sore calf/shin.
    • Saturday: Rested the calf. Went out for Ireland match and a friends going away doo. 3 Guinness and 4 cans of beer was over 7hrs though.
    • Sunday: Still managed to get a bad hangover. Can't drink anymore. McDonalds and a pizza thrown in there. Damn it
    • |Monday: 16 miles at a pace faster than PMP 7'05 min/mile. Really happy with this one. I was wrecked at the end but could of done a couple more to be honest. Definitly too fast to keep that up over 20. I'd hit a wall at 21....call it male intuition.

Summary: Pee'd off about the session on Sat night but was great to meet up with friends. Can't beat a beatles sing song. Only 41 miles total. Very happy with todays 16 miler. Confidence going into a proper taper.....well confidence with my fitness anyway.

Knee still swollen and sore, gunna try take a half day today and rest up...not in work tomorrow I'm in a course so I can rest up there too. Fingers crossed for a run tomorrow evening. :)

13 days to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Misty - good final strong long run! Brave man doing a PMP that far out.Am sure the taper will build up the reserves to push you on well over the 21 mile mark.

RQ - any professional verdict on the knee?

Peckham wrote: »
    Misty - good final strong long run! Brave man doing a PMP that far out.Am sure the taper will build up the reserves to push you on well over the 21 mile mark.

I know its close alright :o. I really wanted to see where I'm at and I'm kind of sorry I didn't do more PMP runs. Next time. I'll be well rested going into the race, no worries there....I hope.

Really looking forward now.

RQ, I hope that knee calms down. Good luck with it.

Peckham wrote: »

RQ - any professional verdict on the knee?

Nope, I've been avoiding A&E like the plaque but I may head back in now in a while, wrist isn't good either so.

Still avoided going to A&E, knee is still swollen but the bruising is starting to clear up now. Tried a little run last night and there was pain on the areas where the bruising is still bad. Going to go up to the local park in the morning before the footy teams get there and run about a bit and then maybe hit the gym for the cross trainer. Still have my fingers crossed that I'll make it on the day. My sub 3:45 will definitely not happen now but with a bit of walking I'll hopefully make it in around 4 hours. Depending on how the next week goes I might have to rethink my shoe choice aswell, was going to wear my lunarglides but if theres still some bruising I might opt for kayanos instead for the increased cushioning.

Tues 12th - Monday 19th
    • Tuesday: Rest
    • Wednesday: 6 mile easy
    • Thursday: 5 mile @ 7'45
    • Friday: Core (range of sit ups) and upper body weights (nothing much)
    • Saturday: 5 mile @ 7'40
    • Sunday: 10 mile @ 7'29 (3 at slightly faster than marathon pace)

I found it hard to slow down on yesterdays 10 miler. Good sign I think.

Taking the miles right down this week:
    • Tues: 5 mile (massage tomorrow night (gulp!) )
    • Wednesday: 5 or 6 miler
    • Thurs: Rest
    • Friday: 5 or 6 miler
    • Sat: Rest
    • Sun: Rest
    • Mon: marathon

Really feel like I'm puttin on weight. Taper madness...mind you I did eat a lot at the weekend. Hope your 'enjoying' your taper. Later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Tues 12th - Monday 19th
    • Tuesday: Rest
    • Wednesday: 6 mile easy
    • Thursday: 5 mile @ 7'45
    • Friday: Core (range of sit ups) and upper body weights (nothing much)
    • Saturday: 5 mile @ 7'40
    • Sunday: 10 mile @ 7'29 (3 at slightly faster than marathon pace)

I found it hard to slow down on yesterdays 10 miler. Good sign I think.

Taking the miles right down this week:
    • Tues: 5 mile (massage tomorrow night (gulp!) )
    • Wednesday: 5 or 6 miler
    • Thurs: Rest
    • Friday: 5 or 6 miler
    • Sat: Rest
    • Sun: Rest
    • Mon: marathon

Really feel like I'm puttin on weight. Taper madness...mind you I did eat a lot at the weekend. Hope your 'enjoying' your taper. Later.

You sound in fine shape - enjoy the rest!

• Advertisement

christeb wrote: »
    You sound in fine shape - enjoy the rest!

As you do, you've covered some savage training. How are you feeling? Confident of sub 3'11?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

As you do, you've covered some savage training. How are you feeling? Confident of sub 3'11?

I'm not overly confident at this stage. I think a lot of the race is mental, especially the more I read the relevant sections in "Advanced Marathoning" and especially "Lore of Running". These sections will be re-read until I AM overly confident!
    Surely you're well on track for sub 3'11 - how do you think you'll do?

christeb wrote: »
    Surely you're well on track for sub 3'11 - how do you think you'll do?

I don't know man. If I had 50+ mpw in the bag I'd say yeah. My average mpw was only at 43 and that was for the last 8 weeks or something. Thats the only thing thats knocking my confidence. A bit of unknown there. Tunguska will give out to me with my lack of confidence but I'm thinking 3'15.

Going by recent runs, I could go out 7'05 pace and bomb in later stages. Will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I only averaged in the mid 40's mpw for Amsterdam. It's not just about the number of miles, it's about the quality. And if you go out thinking you can't do it then you won't.

Anyhow just popping in to say the very best of luck to you all - hard work is done now so go out there and run teh race you deserve!

I only averaged in the mid 40's mpw for Amsterdam. It's not just about the number of miles, it's about the quality. And if you go out thinking you can't do it then you won't.

Anyhow just popping in to say the very best of luck to you all - hard work is done now so go out there and run teh race you deserve!

Thanks Amadeus. I've definitely put in quality over quantity. Thats really good to know. Really good. Gonna give it everything.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Busy from now until monday, so just wanna say best of luck and i hope to hear of triumphant stories on tuesday.

We may have renewed hope. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

We may have renewed hope. :)

Great news RQ, brilliant.

I only ran about 3.5 - 4 miles now and we'll have to see how I'm feeling tomorrow. It's hard to know how I should approach this now, another 4ish miler tomorrow I'm thinking and similarly short runs on Saturday and Sunday presuming all is going well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I don't know RQ, in terms of fitness, those miles will be no good to you at all. Obviously I'm not the expert but maybe rest until the big day and get to the start line fresh.

Advertisement