Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Peckham Pacer" check-in thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭Peckham

Peckham, I read your advice to someone that the MP miles are good for confidence. You were dead right. I was dreading that one due to a tough few weeks. It done wonders for my confidence. But. I think I have over cooked a little. The rest of the miles were not that much slower than MP. After the 19 miles, I felt a little bit weak/sick. It felt a bit like (just a bit) after the Belfast marathon where I hit a wall bad. I had to lay down for about 2 hrs on Sat. It could have been lack of calories as I felt a lot better after some food. A lucozade sport was all I had during the run. Must get more gels. What do you use Peckham?

Good to hear the PMP run went well and looks like it's done the job on your confidence. Although it looks like you effectively did 19 miles at almost PMP, which is going to put a lot of strain on your body (hence why you felt so shattered afterwards...and still feel wrecked now). And this is on the back of 3 hard days during the week, which is tough going.

In terms of fuelling, for a run like that I'd go with exactly what I plan to do during the marathon. It's a good opportunity to practice and see what works. In particular it gives you practice taking fuel on board at marathon pace (i.e. trying to rip open a gel etc.). But I don't think fuelling was your problem - it's more likely to be the strain you put your body under last week.

Also, your 400s sound very fast - would have thought you should be doing these at around 90 secs with 90 secs recovery. Others here may know the science behind these, but I'm pretty certain that doing these too fast is a false economy and the optimal gains only come from doing them at the right pace.

Hopefully you'll be okay for your lsr this weekend - would be keen that you get out and do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Cheers for that. It was a hard week alright. I'm feeling pretty good today.......the recovery is moving along really quickly compared to the last marathon program.

About the 80 second 400's. They felt grand actually and it was only the last 3 maybe that hurt.

Your comment about the lsr this weekend.....that'll be my main goal this week then. My as planned 20 miler. I'll take it easy on my Thursday tempo run.

Plan for week 11:

Monday:rest
    Tuesday: Speed training (will skip a couple or ease off a little)
    Wednesday: 6 easy miles
    Thursday: 10 miles (medium effort)
    Fri: Upper body weights
    Sat: 20 miler (I'd like to get the PMP miles in too but not sure how many, any ideas? The HH program doesn't really list off number of MP miles )
    Sunday: Rest

That'll be about 41 miles total. HH program lists 50 miles this week but a bit much for me this week. Will see how tonight goes.

Sat: 20 miler (I'd like to get the PMP miles in too but not sure how many, any ideas? The HH program doesn't really list off number of MP miles )

I wouldn't do PMP miles this week - you're clearly feeling tired. Also, what are you dropping in order to bring it down from 50 to 41 miles for the week?

Peckham wrote: »
    I wouldn't do PMP miles this week - you're clearly feeling tired. Also, what are you dropping in order to bring it down from 50 to 41 miles for the week?

Ok, no PMP, no problem. HH week 11 has 10 miles midweek (however I done 10 last night :o) and an extra 10 at the weekend the day before the lsr. I was going to drop the extra 10 at the weekend as I have a stag night this Saturday. So moving lsr to Sat morning.

changed plan:
    Tues: 10 mile
    Wed: 7 mile easy
    Thurs: 10 mile with 3 mile tempo
    Fri: rest or cross
    Sat: 20 mile lsr @ 8.15 - 8.20 average

47 mile total, thats not bad.

I could'nt believe how fresh I felt last night on the 10 miler. Haven't enjoyed a run as much in a few weeks. Average of 8 min/mile and I had to struggle to slow down. Its amazing what two days off can do. Still keeping in mind that I was toast on Saturday gone after the lsr.
    Cheers.

Well I didn't take it as easy as I should have last week.

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 10 mile @ 7.57 min/mile. Felt really good. Enjoyed that run.

Wednesday: 7 mile @ 7.46 min/mile. Again, feeling good, happy.

Thursday: 10 mile in Phoenix @ 7.04 min/mile. That equals my frank duffy 10 mile PB to the second :eek: Was some very muddy parts in it and sections of grass but the last two miles were flat. I got carried away on this one because I felt good and kept up with the top guys in the club that are only out for a stroll. Still, delighted with that and I know if it were a real race I would have taken a lump off my PB.

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 20 miles @ 8.17 min/mile. Didn't enjoy that at all. I was dreading it. During it I was thinking of how much I hate LSR's and that I'm not even looking forward to the marathon and I'm not doing this again....all motivation type problems as the legs felt alright. Had two gels (Hi5 brand) that went down well. The problem with this run was going into it after effectively running a 10 mile race on Thursday night. Two weeks in a row I've been a bit silly. Once again felt weak and a little ill for about 2hrs after this. Glycogen depletion? Again, it felt that way....like a mild form of how I felt after Belfast. Glad the 20 is in the bag and have learned a lot last week. Got drunk Saturday night at a stag.

47 miles total. I know I'll feel good running tomorrow but I have to watch it this week. People say overtraining can set you backwards. I've lost about 10lbs since starting this marathon plan. Hard work and cutting the calories (a bit). You'll probably think thats too much too quickly Peckham?

Note to self: Take it easy this week and buy clothes that fit me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

60m this week with some good quality. Very happy with this, next week is a bit more tightly packed but should get all of the planned runs in. Any ideas on Saturday's scheduled 5-10 Race / TT??? Just a 10k at race pace on a flat course somewhere? Would be nice to break 40 mins solo!!!

Mon: 13.5m hilly @ ca. 7.50 pace
    Tue: 4.5m easy
    Wed: 6m (w/ 6 x 100 strides) @ ca. 7.50 pace
    Thurs: 12.5m (w/7 @ 6.52 pace)
    Fri: 4m easy
    Sat: 20m over the hills @ 8.00 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Well I didn't take it as easy as I should have last week.

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 10 mile @ 7.57 min/mile. Felt really good. Enjoyed that run.

Wednesday: 7 mile @ 7.46 min/mile. Again, feeling good, happy.

Thursday: 10 mile in Phoenix @ 7.04 min/mile. That equals my frank duffy 10 mile PB to the second :eek: Was some very muddy parts in it and sections of grass but the last two miles were flat. I got carried away on this one because I felt good and kept up with the top guys in the club that are only out for a stroll. Still, delighted with that and I know if it were a real race I would have taken a lump off my PB.

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 20 miles @ 8.17 min/mile. Didn't enjoy that at all. I was dreading it. During it I was thinking of how much I hate LSR's and that I'm not even looking forward to the marathon and I'm not doing this again....all motivation type problems as the legs felt alright. Had two gels (Hi5 brand) that went down well. The problem with this run was going into it after effectively running a 10 mile race on Thursday night. Two weeks in a row I've been a bit silly. Once again felt weak and a little ill for about 2hrs after this. Glycogen depletion? Again, it felt that way....like a mild form of how I felt after Belfast. Glad the 20 is in the bag and have learned a lot last week. Got drunk Saturday night at a stag.

47 miles total. I know I'll feel good running tomorrow but I have to watch it this week. People say overtraining can set you backwards. I've lost about 10lbs since starting this marathon plan. Hard work and cutting the calories (a bit). You'll probably think thats too much too quickly Peckham?

Note to self: Take it easy this week and buy clothes that fit me ;)

Good job dude, youre getting some quality sessions in there. In regards to the 400s, I was quite suprised to read that you were doing them at 80secs. Thats top stuff, didnt think you were at that level yet, keep it up. The last few will hurt at that pace but this is were your physiological adaptaions are triggered. Are you taking 1 minute break between reps? Another way to tweak the training would be to cut your rest periods between each 400 interval, say 30secs. Me and niall did a session recently were we did 16 x 400 with 20 secs between each 400. Savage but great. Nialls brother, who has a 2:28 marathon under his belt swears by these 400 sessions so Keep 'em up.

Hopefully I'll see you at the race saturday.......

tunguska wrote: »
    Good job dude, youre getting some quality sessions in there. In regards to the 400s, I was quite suprised to read that you were doing them at 80secs. Thats top stuff, didnt think you were at that level yet, keep it up. The last few will hurt at that pace but this is were your physiological adaptaions are triggered. Are you taking 1 minute break between reps? Another way to tweak the training would be to cut your rest periods between each 400 interval, say 30secs. Me and niall did a session recently were we did 16 x 400 with 20 secs between each 400. Savage but great. Nialls brother, who has a 2:28 marathon under his belt swears by these 400 sessions so Keep 'em up.

Hopefully I'll see you at the race saturday.......

Ah, I forgot to mention the recovery of 1min 30s so that makes a hell of a difference. That turns a savage hard session into an ok session. I'm not commiting to the 10km 100% yet...I want to see how I feel over the next few days.

Christeb, how did you feel after that 20? Thats some running, your on for Boston qualifying?

Christeb, how did you feel after that 20? Thats some running, your on for Boston qualifying?

It quite a lot out of me, although the legs were relatively good yesterday and are perfect now. It's amazing how much time you have to think on these runs (8 x 20 = another 6 at this pace = 3.28 marathon, surely I can knock 17 mins off on a flat course....). You said you struggle with these mf, do you have any opportunities to do them with training partners (not tunguska, that's a death wish!), I don't think I would have got through this session nearly as easily if it was a solo effort.

I've done a couple of lsr's with lads from the club but found I had to let them go on as I couldn't keep up with the pace on the day. I'd need to find someone that is at the exact same pace but then again, sometimes you feel better or worse depending on what kind of a week you have. In other words, it doesn't always suit. Its definitely much easier with a training buddy/ies.....particularly the faster/shorter ones, I find.

• Advertisement

Week 12
    • Monday: Rest
    • Tuesday: 8x600m & 2.5 slow. Felt very good, happy.
    • Wednesday: 5m @ 7.57 & core work 30mins
    • Thursday: 3m @ 8.00
    • Friday: Rest
    • Saturday: Pearl Izumi 10km in 39.10 beat PB by nearly 4 mins so very happy. Well done everyone else here that done it. Happy days.
    • Sunday: 16 @ 7.52

Very happy with PB and the speed session. Not the biggest number of miles in the bag but I've never been fitter :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My marathon preparations are falling apart with my breathing problems. I've never had problems with my breathing and the presciption my doc gave me just seems to have made it worse. Ran up the stairs in work today, as I always do and struggled to catch my breath. :(

Week 13
    • Monday: 40 mins core
    • Tuesday: 12m @ 8.18. Enjoyed that run with a buddy. Last 3miles: 7.23/7.00/7.23
    • Wednesday: 9m @ 8.07
    • Thursday: Rest
    • Friday: 20 miler with 13 near 7.20 pace. Average 7.36. Wrecked after this and had to lie down for a few hours as I felt a bit sick
    • Saturday: Rest. Wedding. Got drunk. Bed @ 6am
    • Sunday: Zero. lazy day. Had a Crapdonalds including extra nuggets and a mint aero mcflurry. Horrible but works so well with a hangover.

I'm not beating myself up over the weekend. Again, not as many miles this week (41). Happy with fitness but need bulk miles....I think anyway. I keep reading other logs of people hitting +50m. Quality not quantity :o

P.S I hope your better Peckham.

My marathon preparations are falling apart with my breathing problems. I've never had problems with my breathing and the presciption my doc gave me just seems to have made it worse. Ran up the stairs in work today, as I always do and struggled to catch my breath. :(

Not good, sorry to hear that RQ. Are you going to go back to the doc? Maybe you've had a reaction to the antib's?

I had a chest x-ray last Thursday and the results are due this Thursday, I've checked for my results on the system in work and they haven't been posted yet. I'll ring him on Thursday after looking at my x-ray myself and plead innocence of not knowing. I've got a bit of a headcold going on now too though I'm not sure it thats an effect of the meds or our ever changing weather though. I'm thinking about the breathing so much now though aswell that I'm probably making it seem worse than it is. Felt like a 40 a day smoker today, no matter how blocked my nose is running up the stairs should not leave someone as fit as me in the state it left me in today. Trying no to get too overly worried but with less than 5 weeks to go and having already had to throw in the towel on one marathon this year it would really break my heart to have to pull out of another. :(

Also, sorry to hear about you being ill Peckham. Hope you pull through it ok. Have you got a bad dose? Girl in work had it baaaad about 2ish months ago.

@ misty - I agree with your quality v quantity attitude (even if it includes a mcdonalds!). You seem in great shape.

@ racoon - sorry to hear that chest is still in a bad way. Hopefully the xray will provide a solution and gives you an idea of next steps.

Thanks for concern about my flu. Am over it now and back in work. Didn't get it too bad, and I think my quarantine was more to prevent me spreading it than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

As you might all know i was meant to be part of this group but my training fell apart due to achilles tendinitis, just wanna say im seriously impressed with all the mileage you guys are putting in and the consistency. keep it up, your nearly there!!

Am prob going to still do the marathon now the injury has cleared up and i ve been getting in some half decent miles, altho well below the 3:20 pace i would of hoped at the start of the summer. really hope to see you all there and congratulate you all afterwrds on your new pb's.

best of luck

Brian

kennyb3 wrote: »
    As you might all know i was meant to be part of this group but my training fell apart due to achilles tendinitis, just wanna say im seriously impressed with all the mileage you guys are putting in and the consistency. keep it up, your nearly there!!

Am prob going to still do the marathon now the injury has cleared up and i ve been getting in some half decent miles, altho well below the 3:20 pace i would of hoped at the start of the summer. really hope to see you all there and congratulate you all afterwrds on your new pb's.

best of luck

Brian

Cheers for that. Good to hear your well on the mend and taking part. Do you think you'll sign up for a marathon in the spring or later next year?

See you at the finish. There are a few going for pints afterwards and there was a thread floating around with the location info etc. I posted on it so you can find it through my profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Think i seen the carlton mentioned. i ll be in my boards vest on race day along with hundreds of others. plan would be do DCM, take break, focus on racing short stuff spring and maybe a mid summer or early autumn marathon.

new enough to running so need to set a whole range of new PB's at all distances to give me a base.

everything is injury permitting tho!

My time goal has changed now too Kenny. I'll be happy with a sub 4 at this stage. Really disheartened at the minute but I'll soldier on. :D

• Advertisement

Week 14:
    • Monday: Longish session recommended by Tergat on one of his posts. 2 mile warm up. 3x2miles at HMP-MP. Jog 2mins in between. 5x100m @ 5km pace and 1 mile cool down. Approx 11miles
    • Tuesday: 6.65m @ 8.15 easy
    • Wednesday: 10 miles @ 7.43
    • Thursday: Rest
    • Friday: Rest
    • Saturday: Half marathon PB 1'29'01. Traffic out of park was a nitemare so I parked up and ran 4.5miles thinking I was being smart waiting for the traffic to die down.
    • Sunday: 6 miles @ 7.50 recovery

Total of 50 miles which is the most I have done in a week. Also hit 1000 miles for this year on Saturday. Can't believe how much I've done. Happy about that and happy about the half PB. A little worried about my weekly mileage leading up to this. As I'm sure many are at this stage. Later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hey misty, congrats on the half time, that's actually an amazing time, you have done a lot of work, best of luck for next 4 weeks.

Monday: Longish session recommended by Tergat on one of his posts. 2 mile warm up. 3x2miles at HMP-MP. Jog 2mins in between. 5x100m @ 5km pace and 1 mile cool down. Approx 11miles

Saturday: Half marathon PB 1'29'01. Traffic out of park was a nitemare so I parked up and ran 4.5miles thinking I was being smart waiting for the traffic to die down.

Super running on Sat, you're in good shape for a great marathon. That's a nice session on Monday, I might give it a bash this week instead of shorter intervals...

Cheers Christieb, that was a really enjoyable run actually...you should give it a lash. I enjoyed it because when you start hurting, you get a break and the time flys by because there is lots going on/to be done. I like your attitude after the half. Dead on.

Osnola, Cheers for that and congrats yourself. Your doing really well. I laughed a lot at your comment on the 'worst part of the marathon' thread. Too much positive thinking going on ;) Good luck with the training yourself.

I had a not so enjoyable 10miler last night at easy pace of around 8 min/mile. Can feel the half in the legs for sure and the aul calves are tight.

Tough week ahead. My twin sister is getting married on Saturday. How selfish of her to arrange it on the toughest week of the marathon training program :p

Original plan was to taper for 3 weeks.
    Then I thought I need to get another high mileage week in as I haven't many in the bag.
    Now, after what is going to be a very tough week, because of the half, wedding on Sat and it being week 15, I'm going to taper for the 3 weeks as originally planned.

Good luck in the run up folks.

10 miles last night at 7.45min/mile. Legs felt a lot better there. For the first time in ages I used an MP3 player to take my mind of the run. Florence and the machine and most of OK computer........brilliant stuff altogether.

10 miles last night at 7.45min/mile. Legs felt a lot better there. For the first time in ages I used an MP3 player to take my mind of the run. Florence and the machine and most of OK computer........brilliant stuff altogether.

Was listening to ok computer on the way up to Dublin last weekend for half, what an album! Heard good things about Florence, not sure it would be my bag but must check it out

Was listening to ok computer on the way up to Dublin last weekend for half, what an album!

I never get bored with that album, its a masterpiece. I love all of their albums actually.

5 miles easy @ 8.00 min/mile tonight. Meh, happy enough.

I never get bored with that album, its a masterpiece. I love all of their albums actually.

5 miles easy @ 8.00 min/mile tonight. Meh, happy enough.

Would like to find 8 min miles easy some day.

Yeah, I'm a massive fan of radiohead. Actually think kid a is my favourite album of all time and introduced me to other kinds of music like aphex twin and anything on warp records really. There is still something new every time I listen to that album.

The soundtrack to my half marathon weekend consisted of Simon & garfunkel, the beatles, aphex twin and radiohead. Mate of mine forwarded me a video combinig two of my favourite things yesterday. Running & aphex twin, I know you are a bit of a music fan so...............

http://www.kewego.co.uk/video/iLyROoafMmPE.html

ad is donkey years old but pretty good

• Advertisement

The beatles and radiohead are my two favourite bands. Love Simon & Garfunkel. Not something I'd listen to just before a race though. I must check out Aphex Twin, thanks.

Advertisement