Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Peckham Pacer" check-in thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Well last week was a write off due to Kilkee.

Then went out Sunday night with pals and drank wayyy too much red wine so have only recovered now. Meant to go out last night but was so tired I actually couldn't move my body.

Tonight I've a brick session with the club.

Thursday night I've a sea swim and was planning a 9mile run but it's my Dad's birthday. Saturday night I'm in Dublin for a night out and there's not a hope of me running on Sunday. So on Friday I'm going to run 13 miles. And then hopefully start my week three scheduled run early as I've a wedding the following Friday.

Not a good start but August is fairly clear socially wise so hoping to kindof make up for it then.

The weight I lost is back with re-enforcements. My healthy eating regime has been restarted today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Well last week was a write off due to Kilkee.

Then went out Sunday night with pals and drank wayyy too much red wine so have only recovered now. Meant to go out last night but was so tired I actually couldn't move my body.

Tonight I've a brick session with the club.

Thursday night I've a sea swim and was planning a 9mile run but it's my Dad's birthday. Saturday night I'm in Dublin for a night out and there's not a hope of me running on Sunday. So on Friday I'm going to run 13 miles. And then hopefully start my week three scheduled run early as I've a wedding the following Friday.

Not a good start but August is fairly clear socially wise so hoping to kindof make up for it then.

The weight I lost is back with re-enforcements. My healthy eating regime has been restarted today.
    busy social schedule easier to maintain than a busy training schedule :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Peckham

RacoonQueen
    Shame about the missed session yesterday (if it makes you feel any better, I also missed yesterday's session for similar reasons...fell asleep on train on way home, felt really drowsy when I got home). Any chance you could structure the rest of the week as follows (i.e. drop one of the gym sessions):
    Weds: 8 miles
    Thurs: Gym
    Fri: 8 miles with 8x100
    Sat: 4 miles
    Sun: 11/12 miles
    Would be unsure if you should be pushing towards 13, given your longest run recently has been 9 miles

HardyEustace
    Forget the social life - that has no place in marathon training! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Peckham wrote: »
    RacoonQueen
    Shame about the missed session yesterday (if it makes you feel any better, I also missed yesterday's session for similar reasons...fell asleep on train on way home, felt really drowsy when I got home). Any chance you could structure the rest of the week as follows (i.e. drop one of the gym sessions):
    Weds: 8 miles
    Thurs: Gym
    Fri: 8 miles with 8x100
    Sat: 4 miles
    Sun: 11/12 miles
    Would be unsure if you should be pushing towards 13, given your longest run recently has been 9 miles

Thats what I was thinking re: tonight, was also considering going to the gym to do it on the tradmill and doing weights after but that I really need to get out on the road, it's Saturday since I was out now. For Sunday I'm just going to go out and see how far I can go.

HardyEustace
    Forget the social life - that has no place in marathon training! ;)

There's always something but July does seem particularly bad. I think the main thing is that your sleep pattern is also all over the shop after a late night.

And the lethargy, and the horrors. I can't drink like I used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I can't drink like I used to.

+1, although I find it's better when I'm in good shape, the hangovers ain't as bad with sufficient sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Is anyone here considering giving up the booze in the lead up to the marathon, I'm seriously considering cutting it out bar a couple of outings I know are coming up, weddings etc. Do you think this would benefit training or is a few pints a week better than none just t let the hair down a little

ps best of luck with training over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Is anyone here considering giving up the booze in the lead up to the marathon, I'm seriously considering cutting it out bar a couple of outings I know are coming up, weddings etc. Do you think this would benefit training or is a few pints a week better than none just t let the hair down a little

ps best of luck with training over here
    had the exact same though myslef yesterday not doing a marathon but was thinking of cutting out the beer 100% now.

Doing the marathon training giving up booze might not be too hard, once you know you have a long run on sat or sunday beers goes out the window.

shels4ever wrote: »

Doing the marathon training giving up booze might not be too hard, once you know you have a long run on sat or sunday beers goes out the window.

Agreed, I'll prob knock it on the head after my b'day early Sept. In saying that I think a couple of drinks in the evening has little to no effect on me the next day, possibly with the exception of an early AM tough sesh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Booze effects me big time. Haven't got drunk in almost three weeks which I'm well pleased with and I can feel the weight coming off me already. Don't know how long that'll last. The timing of electric picnic isn't great and I've a few weddings in Sept but I think its good to have something to look forward to or to let the hair down now and again.

Had a couple of friends over last night for a bite to eat. They didn't go to bed until 6!...on a school night! Was well cranky this morning after a restless night.

During my last marathon program (novie 1 HH), I had my long runs on a Saturday morning. I ended up going out on the sat night getting locked on feck all and feeling like crap until Monday. In saying that, really enjoyed the beers as a reward.

Does anyone find they sleep less when the training steps up? I find that. Especially if I run late in the eveing (finish at 9 say). I should be falling asleep easier and sleeping in at weekends due to the extra miles but the opposite is the case. Not good.

I'm off to bed for a nap before training zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement

Misty Floyd - it's definitely more difficult to get to sleep after a late training session (if the heart rate still hasn't come down to resting yet), however finding it difficult to sleep can also be a sign of overtraining. Keep an eye on this.

Cutting out booze - I've cut out booze for each of the marathons I've done. For first and second marathons, I quit the drink entirely for a month before the race and for my third marathon I quit two months beforehand. There's definitely a benefit to it, mostly because you sleep better (and the lie-ins are a better quality, rather than sleeping off a hangover!). Don't think I necessarily got much extra benefit out of quitting two months in advance rather than one month. Non-alcoholic Erdinger is the saviour during that time!

That said, alcohol in moderation is not be a bad thing (even for marathon runners!), and I think Mr Higdon even recommends having a glass of wine the night before the marathon if you think it will help you relax.

I don't drink anyway. OK I do occassionally but the last time I drank was before Connemara I think.

My sister's birthday is at the start of September. I may or may not drink for that but am planning on giving up for September and after the races in Galway (apart from the post Gael-Force night and after the half marathon in Dublin as have a pal coming over to run the race and stay a few days).

I think it does make a difference. One point to note is that while it's great giving up the month before, you're almost in taper at that point so I think if you can cut down/give up when you're doing your really long miles and biggest mileage you may benefit the most.
    Peckham - what do you think oh wise one? ;-) I was interested when you mentioned that one month vs two months didn't make that much difference.

Thus while most of my July is a write off, I'm hoping that a really quality(in terms of eating and drinking and sleeping well) August and September will help.

Sometimes, I think that the most important thing is sleep (once you're not going bonkers and drinking two bottles of vodka every weekend) and good quality food. If you're doing this then I think that the negative effects of drink are somewhat diminished.

Sod, I just forgot there's normally beers after the Galway 8k as well. Mind you, like anything, you get out what you put in and if I need to an alcohol free August won't kill me. Though would like a few post GaelForce bevies.

Peckham - what do you think oh wise one? ;-) I was interested when you mentioned that one month vs two months didn't make that much difference.

I found that it was maybe more beneficial during the taper when you're trying to rest more. I enjoy my few beers the night after a LSR!

Peckham et al, just to confirm that I have not read any of your posts regarding booze. As I posted the original question, I do not want to be accused of treason (translated: please don't tell amadeus)

regards,
    osnola
    amadeus allstars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

shels4ever wrote: »
    had the exact same though myslef yesterday not doing a marathon but was thinking of cutting out the beer 100% now.

that though wouldnt have anything to do with your weakened condition yesterday , i have been reading you log ;)

Misty Floyd - it's definitely more difficult to get to sleep after a late training session (if the heart rate still hasn't come down to resting yet), however finding it difficult to sleep can also be a sign of overtraining. Keep an eye on this.

Cutting out booze - I've cut out booze for each of the marathons I've done. For first and second marathons, I quit the drink entirely for a month before the race and for my third marathon I quit two months beforehand. There's definitely a benefit to it, mostly because you sleep better (and the lie-ins are a better quality, rather than sleeping off a hangover!). Don't think I necessarily got much extra benefit out of quitting two months in advance rather than one month. Non-alcoholic Erdinger is the saviour during that time!

That said, alcohol in moderation is not be a bad thing (even for marathon runners!), and I think Mr Higdon even recommends having a glass of wine the night before the marathon if you think it will help you relax.

Cheers Peckham. I'm going to take it handy over the next two days until the long run on Sunday. So far this week:
    • Monday. 2 hour walking (golf)
    • Tuesday. Speed work: 10x 500m. 3 miles slow run. Felt good.
    • Wednesday: 3 mile threadmill average pace. 30 mins weights (upper)
    • Thursday: 8 mile run with club. About 8 min/mile

Todays 8 miler was tough and I think the 3 miles yesterday was a bad idea. Should have rested.

I like that erdinger. Had some non alcoholic stella last night. Not bad at all. All this talk and turning 30 a few weeks ago....feel so grown up.

Osnola, I'm straight telling on you :D

Osnola, I'm straight telling on you :D

amadeus is gonna b so mad, I'm gonna be doing strides till I puke.

Happy birthday, I'm not too far behind ya (29) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Peckham et al, just to confirm that I have not read any of your posts regarding booze. As I posted the original question, I do not want to be accused of treason (translated: please don't tell amadeus)

regards,
    osnola
    amadeus allstars

OMG :eek::eek:
    Traitor!!!!!

I went against Peckham's advice and went for a 13 mile run this evening. I really hope I don't regret this in the morning. :D

• Advertisement

I went against Peckham's advice and went for a 13 mile run this evening. I really hope I don't regret this in the morning. :D

Why do I feel this is going to set the tone as to whether or not people listen to me for the rest of the summer?! :o

How did it feel? How were the last two miles?

Week 2 down:
    • Monday: rest (2hrs of rubbish golf)
    • Tuesday: 10 x 500m & 3 miles of slow running.
    • Wednesday: 3 miles on threadmill & 40 mins upper body weights
    • Thursday: 8 miles @ 8.10 min/mile (very tired during and after)
    • Friday: Rest (2 hrs rubbish golf)
    • Saturday: 40 mins upper body weights
    • Sunday: 12 miles @ 8min 20s min/mile

3 days of non running but after those 3 in a row including a speed session, I needed to rest the legs. Felt good for it during the long run yesterday.

Onwards and upwards.

Had fully intended running 13m on Friday evening but was too tired.

Then was in bed by 9 o'clock on Friday so that I could get up at 6:30 and run 13 miles before I went to Dublin. This didn't happen, struggled out of bed at 8:30 and ran 5 miles.

Yesterday, too tired and hungover so going to try 13 miles tonight instead.

Really have to focus on this training lark but there's always something. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

regards,
    osnola
    amadeus allstars

Hey osnola get back to your own group! :mad: Im telling on you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

His treachery has been noted...

(Strides? Pah! The least of his worries!)

Why do I feel this is going to set the tone as to whether or not people listen to me for the rest of the summer?! :o

I didn't do it on purpose running 13 miles was an accident. :pac: I took a rest day on Saturday, went shopping(crosstraining?) and lay on my bed watching movies and stuffing fruit into me all day. :D
    Sunday I went to the gym did upper body weights, core work and a quick swim(my god swimming is tough on the lungs :eek: )

Plan
    for this week:

Monday - 8 miles w/4 miles
    Tuesday - 4 miles am(if I can get up) gym pm(if I'm not too tired from an early start. The 4 miles is the priority though.
    Wednesay - 10 miles
    Thursday - Gym
    Friday - 14 miles(want to get next weekends long run out of the way on Friday again if I can, plus massive piss up Friday night so I don't want to miss my long run because of this)
    Saturday - Gym
    Sunday - 4 miles and possibly gym

RQ - following the same plan as you

Monday - 8 miles w/4 miles (WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?) did 6 miles
    Tuesday - 4 miles, will be doing aquathon instead.

I got 7.5 done last night with 4 8:30ish miles thought I'd get one of them at sub 8 but i got a sharp pain in my knee and yelped in pain

My hip is pretty bad after falling off the bike on Fri, it's right in the joint so my phys told me to take it easy til Fri / Sat. I struggled to a 12m on Sat, shouldn't have done it as it was torture. So I'm just doing core work / weight in the interim til it clears up. Hopefully I'll be set for the 5m in the Park this weekend, then it'll be back to normal....

• Advertisement

HardyEustace
    Training is a lot like homework from when we were back in school - you can always find something else to do that's easier/more interesting, and there's nothing worse than leaving it until last thing on a Sunday! Hal Higdon says that life should not get in the way of training; if it does, then you're trying to do too much training than your life allows and it can only end in frustration. Is your busyness a temporary thing, or will it continue into rest of July/August and beyond?

christeb
    Sensible decision to stay off the roads for the moment. Your training has been very good up to now, so a week lost at this stage is no big deal. You mention the 5m in the park - that's not this weekend, it's the weekend after.

RacoonQueen
    Looks like a good week planned, and good session yesterday. Lots of gym sessions there, so just make sure the running takes priority. Good planning on the long run - I love getting my long run out of the way on Friday evening. The beers afterwards are a lot more enjoyable!

Advertisement