Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murdered beggar sent cash for family's education

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Of course they is no such thing a homeless Irish person abroad.

Only place i've seen them in any numbers is london and they're usually alcos or junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Degsy wrote: »
    My spider sense tells me she was murdered by another roma...whats the betting?

She wasn't Roma.

Bambi wrote: »
    compare:
    "but we feel there are still people with information who have not come forward yet. She had to be eating, sleeping and shopping somewhere. We are looking for all that information."

with

"In the months before her death, Ms Bratis had been seen begging in Dublin city centre, mainly on O'Connell Street and O'Connell Bridge. Gardai say she had not come to their attention prior to her murder.

so yer wan was beggin on the capitals main street and hadn't come to the Gardais attention yet they're tut tutting that joe soap never noticed where she was shopping? Bleedin clowns

the two sentences aren't mutually exclusive. they are appealing for any information for the public who might know who she had been staying with or getting food from. She wasn't Roma so while the Gardai might have seen her about they might not have immediately caught their attention (as some beggars do) or she was smart enough to move when she saw Gardai rather than wait around for them to move her on.

She wasn't Roma.

yes she was.

I haven't seen it mentioned in any news reports, although I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Surely you need a work visa to come to Ireland from Romania?

not if your begging

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Only place i've seen them in any numbers is london and they're usually alcos or junkies.

Or Shane Mc. Gowan.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 BizTalker

mike kelly wrote: »
    not if your begging
    C'mon lads, somebody was murdered,sure the murderer didn't need any permit to slaughter her!

I haven't seen it mentioned in any news reports, although I'm open to correction.

She was definately a roma..ordinary romanians dont beg as a rule..and she looked like a roma..
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0818/bratise.html

The report also says she was back and forth between ireland and romania..a normal romanian wouldnt go on multiple begging-holidays like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Absolutely. There are large numbers of homeless Irish there. Its worth remembering that we have our own people heading abroad to beg and live rough. Its a very sad situation all-round. Anyone who thinks that begging and being homeless is a cosy existence needs their heads examined. Its an awful situation to be in and demostrates how messed up our society can be.

The poster I was responding to seems to be under the impression that Romas were the only group of being that travelled abroad to beg on the streets. He was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

..and she looked like a roma..

"looked like" how, exactly....?

Nodin wrote: »
    "looked like" how, exactly....?

Do you not know what a roma looks like?
    I suggest you abandon your isolation chamber and come visit the real world.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Nodin wrote: »
    Compared to that stabbing in bray, shes barely got a look in. In Sindoworld, its the middle class that count.

Umm. Middle class or not, what happened in Bray was a terrible tragedy.
    His mother's tribute to him printed in the papers made me cry :(

lol at the self righteousness in here. She was definitely a roma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

i wonder will the op flee the country and decry ireland as a lawless hellhole the next time an irishman or woman is murdered

Absolutely. There are large numbers of homeless Irish there. Its worth remembering that we have our own people heading abroad to beg and live rough. Its a very sad situation all-round. Anyone who thinks that begging and being homeless is a cosy existence needs their heads examined. Its an awful situation to be in and demostrates how messed up our society can be.

The poster I was responding to seems to be under the impression that Romas were the only group of being that travelled abroad to beg on the streets. He was wrong.

London isn't the other side of Europe though now is it?

She was definately a roma..ordinary romanians dont beg as a rule..and she looked like a roma..
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0818/bratise.html

The report also says she was back and forth between ireland and romania..a normal romanian wouldnt go on multiple begging-holidays like that.

this was one person, you've still to prove she was roma, you're only saying "she looked like a roma" or "normal romanians don't do that"

this is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman logical fallacy.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    London isn't the other side of Europe though now is it?

I see. Its okay to go abroad to beg so long as you don't travel that far. Thanks for clearing that up.

lol at the self righteousness in here. She was definitely a roma.

I've yet to see this mentioned in any media reports, normally the sunday world would be all over mentioning that if she were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

I don't think that anyone believes that beging is an easy life. All over Europe Roma gangs force other Roma to beg. The government should put a stop to this by either cracking down on begging or only allowing irish people to beg. If begging is not illegal then it should at least be regulated.

• Advertisement

It's also rather worrying that her ethnicity is mitigating peoples response to her murder.

It's also rather worrying that her ethnicity is mitigating peoples response to her murder.

Funny that.
    And you who's fault this is??
    The roma themselves and thier disgusting behaviour.

I see. Its okay to go abroad to beg so long as you don't travel that far. Thanks for clearing that up.

Oh don't be so flippant. Irish people have close links with London and it's not inconceivable that someone could have fallen on hard times over there. I guarantee not one Irish person went to england "cause the people are suckers and they can beg more cash from them".

Oh don't be so flippant. Irish people have close links with London and it's not inconceivable that someone could have fallen on hard times over there. I guarantee not one Irish person went to england "cause the people are suckers and they can beg more cash from them".

In actual fact a lot of people lived there in the 80's and early 90's because the dole was much better than over here,there was a big squatting scene and drugs were far more easy to obtain t han over here...it was(and probably still is) a vagrant's paradise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Funny that.
    And you who's fault this is??
    The roma themselves and thier disgusting behaviour.

... Yet you extended your sympathy to an old man, loitering round the streets looking for cigarette butts!?
    :rolleyes:

In actual fact a lot of people lived there in the 80's and early 90's because the dole was much better than over here,there was a big squatting scene and drugs were far more easy to obtain t han over here...it was(and probably still is) a vagrant's paradise.

+ 1. Irish people 'scrounged off the British taxpayer fro years. Of course two rights do not make a right. But its worth remembering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have to say this thread marks a low for me. I'll definitely be looking at some of the posters in a new light after this.

The worst thing she was guilty of was begging or being here on the sly. We're talking about a woman who was stabbed to death by some nutter in some godforsaken corner of a dark park for fucks sake.

Jokes I honestly don't mind, but to actually infer that ethnicity/begging and a violent death should be somehow concomitant... :(

... Yet you extended your sympathy to an old man, loitering round the streets looking for cigarette butts!?
    :rolleyes:

Yep..because he dindt ASK anybody for anything,he was doing a bit of scrounging for ciggies NOT begging for money and he certainly wasnt holding up a baby,trying to distract my at an ATM or pickpocketing.
    As i said in t hat thread,he didnt look like a down and out so its probably safe to assume he'd contributed to the country for many years.
    What,exactly to roma contribute,except bringing thier children up to be thieves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I don't like begging, but there is no way anybody deserves to die for it. Be that person black, white, yellow or where that person is from. Serial rapists and murderers don't get the death penalty, why should a begger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Do you not know what a roma looks like?

What knowledge I have or haven't really isn't the issue. You said
    she looked like a roma

...thus I want to know what criteria you use when making that judgement.
    What,exactly to roma contribute,except bringing thier children up to be thieves?

Funny, because the woman you claim was a Roma was sending money back to her children to keep them in school.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement