Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie meet up goes south?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 alkro

This would be a great idea to have a regular meetup for vegetarians. I am the editor of the Irish Vegetarian Magazine, and keeping in touch with like minded will be a great.
    How about meeting in the Quay Coop in the next few weeks for something to eat and a chat?
    We could create a mailing list and I can set up Doodle to find out the best date.

Regards,
    Alexander

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hello Alexander,

Welcome aboard, I have been to that coop place for a vegetarian anniversary thing with plenty of cake! Do you have long hair by any chance? We have only started meetups but this will already be our fourth with hopefully many more to come. If you want to put up a suggested meetup to discuss more concrete details a new thread would be great.

Have fun here I hope and join in!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 alkro

No, I dont have long hair, but red glasses!!! :D. I just moved to Cork almost 4 month ago, I am living in Passage West. Any idea when the next meetup is sceduled?

Alexander

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You mean as opposed to this camping one? Well this one is aug 21st and the next I suppose will be organised just after. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Apx Time : Whenever people are in Cork I can meet them, unless it's reaaally early :P
    Travelling from : Outside cork city
    Transport: If there is no car space I guess I can get a bus or walk , depending on how far it is
    Food: I'm in the same 'can only make pasta' boat as master. Even so, I'm quite proud of my beansy pasta dish, and I will either bring that in a container or will buy some fancy bread. And if anyone wants to go in on a fancy liqour(I don't know if I can spell that) to present to the hostess as a present then that :D.

I am looking forward very much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Transport: Driving.
    Is joo driving from my smelly city or home? i could jump in your boot or something with my bags:pac:

Is joo driving from my smelly city or home? i could jump in your boot or something with my bags:pac:

If Tara has her way I'll be driving from Sligo. :(

It's ok you don't have to pick me up if it's out of your way! I can get bus, spend half my life on them for the past few years :)

It's ok you don't have to pick me up if it's out of your way! I can get bus, spend half my life on them for the past few years :)

Or you could drive down and leave your car in my gaff.

180px-Lplate.svg.png

:(

• Advertisement

Fudge it.....now your making me feel sorry you.

haha. Poor learner driver

*puppy dog eyes*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

If worst comes to worst ppl who don't have lifts from the city can get the train out to the house and either pool a taxi bus (we'll try not to have to resort to this to save mula though) or ppl with cars can pop out to get them. Otherwise I emailed the ppl from the veggie emet up group who are coming to ask them to let me know if they have cars too!
    Looks like we're getting the vw camper tomorrow anyway so not sure how many seat belts are in that yet but may be able to cram a few ppl in if we use that instead of our car!

alkro wrote: »
    This would be a great idea to have a regular meetup for vegetarians. I am the editor of the Irish Vegetarian Magazine, and keeping in touch with like minded will be a great.
    How about meeting in the Quay Coop in the next few weeks for something to eat and a chat?
    We could create a mailing list and I can set up Doodle to find out the best date.

Regards,
    Alexander

I kinda thought we might end up in the coop for lunch at some point on the friday esp if we're around town waiting for late arrivals, what ye reckon?

Oh ya Alkro have you heard of the Dublin vegetarian meet up group? I'd be interested in starting a Cork one if I could find a copuple of people who would share the responsibility with me.
    I don't want to take it on alone as I'm going into 4th year of college n it's gonna be a really tough yr with a lot of research so not sure yet how much time I'll have to dedicate to anything else! PM me if you (or any of ye other boards Corkonians out there) are interested!

Ye time for food and things would be good! Oh and boooooozzzzeyys, so before shops shut anyway

If yer looking to get into the english market ye'd want to in well before five, esp if it's artisan bread or cakes yer after, cheese, olives, veg, chocs etc won't run out though..

Oh ya meant to mention to ye's that Mallows having a food festival on the sunday of the BBQ weekend, dunno if it's any good cos I've never been but would be good to get the troops into town to check it out if yer interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Approximate travel time: if I got the 11:05 bus from Galway I'd apparently be in Cork by 15:25, but this is Bus Éireann so let's say 16:00 +
    Travelling from: Galway
    Transport: Bus to Cork City, then the train? I guess...
    Food: Something that will travel well! Cookies maybe, or apple crumble, I don't fancy bringing anything dinner-ish on a bus. And beer!

I haven't checked my bank balance since June though so this is all dependent on what happens when I check it next week :(

Hi guys our newest member Alkro has kindly offered to drop 3 people out to the house, plus our car will take 3, my sister may be able to bring 2 and I should be able to rope my friends carlo n jenny into taking between 2 and 4 each if they're coming. So far between boards and meetup.com we've 12 definates, 5 more maybes from meetup plus a few of our mates will prob make it too so should have between 15 n 25 heads which is a good number don't think de neighbours can get too p*ssed with that!
    We will def need another few BBQs though if anyone has any way of bringing one!
    \so far we have Donnie n Tar coming from de west, electrob*tch, Raah, Taram and Alkro from Cork, moonbaby, smegmar and master of nothing from Dublin.
    Haven't heard of any other cars coming from the meetup ppl although they're all coming from Dub too but think all the boards crowd from Dub are sorted for a lift arent ye?
    Also I'm going to invite a couple of mates from Galway so if any with cars are coming I'll try sort Tar and Donnie out with lifts from the city!

Also I'm going to invite a couple of mates from Galway so if any with cars are coming I'll try sort Tar and Donnie out with lifts from the city!

Well that would be super handy, especially if I'm broke! No worries if it's not manageable though, I'm thinking Citylink will be my friend :)

Well that would be super handy, especially if I'm broke! No worries if it's not manageable though, I'm thinking Citylink will be my friend :)

Cool can't gaurantee the person won't be a total oddball if I do manage something though! (I invited one of my very funny but weird friends there he's grand though you just need to take him with a pinch of salt he's a trekkie n can't really help it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

doesnt look good for me, i started to ask my mam if i could go to cork and i got an abrupt NO! she says shes not minding her, my darling sweet daughter is being an absolute menace atm! shes in he room, grounded (shes six!!!)

really upset i cant go :(

• Advertisement

Cool can't gaurantee the person won't be a total oddball if I do manage something though! (I invited one of my very funny but weird friends there he's grand though you just need to take him with a pinch of salt he's a trekkie n can't really help it!)
    Wooo trekkie, err, I eman, nerd!
    maameeo wrote: »
    doesnt look good for me, i started to ask my mam if i could go to cork and i got an abrupt NO! she says shes not minding her, my darling sweet daughter is being an absolute menace atm! shes in he room, grounded (shes six!!!)

:(:(:(:(

doesnt look good for me, i started to ask my mam if i could go to cork and i got an abrupt NO!

That sucks :(:( ya think it's time to hit your sister with a guilt-trip yet?:pac:

:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

There are some bus and train bargins in Bargin Alerts at the moment.
    Online rail tickets, half price, with a daily offer by the sun: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055649010
    And a €2 single bus fare Galway/Cork might be of interest for Donnie! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055649621

Not sure about the details, but something might be useful for somebody :)

I better start looking into fare prices, doubtful i'll be getting that wonderful lift so may have to stick it out on a bus to cork or mallow, whatever is running:(

Bought my rucksack yesterday and fit into it: large 2-man tent (believe me it looks bloody huge!) 2 sleeping bags (maybe use one as a pillow) a rain poncho, little first aid kit and headlamp incase of night-time wandering not wanting to break an ankle:P

Looks like separate travel bag coming with me for clothes, should be staying the distance this time too, and not planning on returning sat eve like i was:D

Hi guys just a quick reminder that if anyone hasn't pm'd me their no pls do cos I'm finished work today for de rest of the week and my internet at home is completely unreliable! Also if anyone feels like it pls pm on yer no to some of the others to make meeting up friday easier cos I'll prob be fairly bust trying to get things organised myself to come to de station twenty odd times!

Oh ya jus thought I'd mention what veg we have ready in the garden so ye can research some recipes for stuff to make on the friday (if ye want to that is!) esp if you don't want to have to carry something with you!

We have: purple sprouting brocoli
    peas
    mangetout
    runner and bush beans
    cucumbers
    courgettes
    purple and green cabbages
    fennel bulbs
    lettuce
    chard
    kale
    carrots
    turnips
    potatos
    Herbs: basil, marjoram, lemon balm, mint, thyme, sage

Also I have loads of chutney and pickled cucumber for burgers etc..

Ooooh very nice, well I'll jsut get some food in cork hopefully like onions, aubergine, mushrooms, etc, then quorn and burger buns. You grow quite a bit!

I'd never heard of chard so I googled it and discovered one of it's common names is 'Perpetual Spinach'! Maybe I'll make a Perpetual Spinach Salad :) The salad that never ends...
    There is lots there for a gastronomical delight, if there is a good wok I could use!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Ah balls...I'll be in Belgium when it's on :( Typical

• Advertisement

I'd never heard of chard so I googled it and discovered one of it's common names is 'Perpetual Spinach'! Maybe I'll make a Perpetual Spinach Salad :) The salad that never ends...
    There is lots there for a gastronomical delight, if there is a good wok I could use!

Oh really? It is just spinach? Damn it!

I'm growing some rainbow chard....I thought it was gonna taste all new and stuff. :(

rainbow-chard.jpg

Advertisement