Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVERYTHING about HPAT and getting medicine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 muscle--museum

unless you don't have chemistry... That'd render choosing cork entirely useless and probably ominous, knowing my bad luck anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Congratulations everyone - reminds me of the time I got my CAO offer for med and how happy I was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

Wu hey hey....more lads and less nerd...we're gonna be the coolest med class ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I acn't believe i got in on 717!Really makes up for all those weeks of misery.Wooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

rois! wrote: »
    Wu hey hey....more lads and less nerd...we're gonna be the coolest med class ever!!

Not sure if that comment is politically correct!!

Results do mean that there will be a much different spread of LC marks and as already stated more First Time LC.

Galway 713 means you could get 600 LC (now 560 ) and 153 HPAT and get into medicine- probably around 55th/56 th percentile-maybe someone can confirm?

RTE morning radio confirmed a successful applicant at 520 which means they got at least 193 HPAT (96th percentile).

As 99th percentile is 200 plus is now possible to get 515 and get in and 485 was possible for the one genius who got 230 HPAT.

It was always clear that people would score differently on HPAT than LC as they test different things.

I must admit I didn't expect such a huge spread of marks between these tests as has obviously occurred. I do feel very sad for the first time LC in particular who got 575 plus and are not now in medical school. However the new system has clearly done what it set out to do and increase the spread of LC marks and also the number of first time LC has gone up (as could have neen predicted).

Irish Times now confirm first time LC up from 59% to 83%!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rbrbrb

I think the HPAT did almost what it promised.

The universities and the DES claimed it would give people on 480 LC points a decent chance. They weren't too far off.

They were wrong by only ten points. So now, theoretically, a sub 500 LC points score can get into med.

No it didn't do much at all. I got 495 in the LC and in 95th percentile in HPAT but I'm 30 points off getting in so no I never had a decent chance getting in and no they weren't wrong by only ten points. How much better do I have to do than 95th percentile to get in?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Here, lads, y'know what's sickening?
    MY LIFE.

I repeated for Med. Last year's points + HPAT gave me 723.
    This year's points + HPAT gave me 726.

I actually just spent a year of my life DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING :pac:
    Luckily I've a sense of humour about it all, ehhh?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

bythewoods wrote: »
    Here, lads, y'know what's sickening?
    MY LIFE.

I repeated for Med. Last year's points + HPAT gave me 723.
    This year's points + HPAT gave me 726.

I actually just spent a year of my life DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING :pac:
    Luckily I've a sense of humour about it all, ehhh?
    If it was me in your situation i would have repeated as well just to be sure.i don't think that anyone would have expected the points to be that low.

rbrbrb wrote: »
    No it didn't do much at all. I got 495 in the LC and in 95th percentile in HPAT but I'm 30 points off getting in so no I never had a decent chance getting in and no they weren't wrong by only ten points. How much better do I have to do than 95th percentile to get in?!

Very sorry for you but the two tests are different. Why not repeat LC as hpat marks are allowed for 2 years I think and you must have scored 190 in HPAT which is fantastic??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 GruesomeTwosome

This years hpat results might not be good enough for next years med points if you repeat, even if you got in say the 99 percentile. Next year's best could be close to 300
    and the average 200, making something like 190 this year useless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

To all those who got in, welcome to the club :D

Med school is Fan_feckin_tastic.

It's all downhill after that, though :pac:

Enjoy the euphoria. It's the best feeling ever. Feel free to pop over to bio+med and remind us how it feels. We have a thread pointing people here.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055653050

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bazzo26

This years hpat results might not be good enough for next years med points if you repeat, even if you got in say the 99 percentile. Next year's best could be close to 300

If you can repeat rbrbrb, do. This comment is'nt true because the score is scaled to keep it inline with other years, apparently. You're 190 score should definitely give you an advantage if you do decide to repeat. Remember, there's still the rechecks to go aswell

I dont think this is true and may worry people. The Australian experience of a similar exam is that a score of 190 is NOT useless and anyway if he repeats he may get above 200 anyway!! These points are tightly together-50th percentile is 150 , 99th 201+ so a HPAT of 190 is a superb achievement of the persons ablility in this kind of test.
    This proves my previous post that there is clearly a huge difference between many LC points and HPAT and the reverse!

Bazzo26 wrote: »
    If you can repeat rbrbrb, do. This comment is'nt true because the score is scaled to keep it inline with other years, apparently. You're 190 score should definitely give you an advantage if you do decide to repeat. Remember, there's still the rechecks to go aswell

ACER wont comment on their results but the evidence is that they are scaled and that 150 woll be around 50th percentile each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

They say 520 was the lowest in which somebody got a place but that could have just been one person? I wonder what was the main points people got to get in?

Aww that's unlucky.

On the bright side, RCSI is as good a place as any to do medicine. Good location, very nice building, has a great reputation - I'm sure you'll get on great there. :)

I have heard the complete opposite about the place and peoples sentiments were proven true when I went up to the open day in January. I wasnt majorly impressed. I suppose a med degree is a med degree but the place is looked down upon.

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I hope you'll enjoy it there, it's a really fun place to be. Great societies/clubs, people (especially the fact that it is so diverse in nationalities, it's brilliant), the lecturers are top class and as long as you have enough interest and committment to the course, you'll be fine.

My only problem was the last bit, otherwise I loved the place. :) If you have any questions about first year there/about the college in general feel free to ask!

'grats to all btw!

See my above post.

Piste wrote: »
    I'm just 2 points off UCD :(

Jesus thats cruel. I remember you got 590 so if you got a recheck youd still be a point off! Thats rediculous. I hope you get in in the second round because you are sound and all.:)

drrkpd wrote:
    ACER wont comment on their results but the evidence is that they are scaled and that 150 woll be around 50th percentile each year.

A score of 150 will always -- by its very definition -- be correlated to the 50th %ile. If the results from consecutive years are to be kept in line, it's the range that each %ile covers that has to be kept somewhat constant. For example, the 80th %ile might cover a range of scores between 177 and 179, or whatever. Next year, this range will have to be kept the same, if the consecutive years are to be kept in line, that is.

JSK 252 wrote: »
    I have heard the complete opposite about the place and peoples sentiments were proven true when I went up to the open day in January. I wasnt majorly impressed. I suppose a med degree is a med degree but the place is looked down upon.

Certainly not looked down on in the profession, either in Ireland or abroad (has a great rep overseas, too). RCSI produces great medics. I didn't go there, but everyone I've known who's gone has said it was great.

You'll struggle to find a med school with a bad social life. Honestly, you'll all have a fantastic time.

• Advertisement

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Certainly not looked down on in the profession, either in Ireland or abroad (has a great rep overseas, too). RCSI produces great medics. I didn't go there, but everyone I've known who's gone has said it was great.

You'll struggle to find a med school with a bad social life. Honestly, you'll all have a fantastic time.

Each to their own I suppose! My friend told me of how felipe conteponi got a med degree from RCSI while holding down a place in the leinster rugby team panel! I was like they must have been easy on him!

I have also heard stuff of how their exams are marked easier. Especially for MCQs with no negative marking. Could be hearsay but I have heard friends of friends who have said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If I got a recheck and went up to an A1 in either English or Music (not going to happen) I'd have 520 which still mightn't get me in if it's *. I'll just hope the points come down for UCD in round 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rbrbrb

drrkpd wrote: »
    Very sorry for you but the two tests are different. Why not repeat LC as hpat marks are allowed for 2 years I think and you must have scored 190 in HPAT which is fantastic??!!

Nah I'm graduating in Sept from UCD and doing the GAMSATS. I basically got ripped off for doing the HPAT when there was no chance of me getting it in the first place. I didn't expect to get it but gave it a go just in case. Not a chance I'd repeat the LC at this stage.

In my view there should be a cut-off point and that's it; LC points shouldn't be added to the score. Once you meet the cutoff the HPAT is all that should matter otherwise there's no point in stopping people who get under 480 apply.

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Each to their own I suppose! My friend told me of how felipe conteponi got a med degree from RCSI while holding down a place in the leinster rugby team panel! I was like they must have been easy on him!

I have also heard stuff of how their exams are marked easier. Especially for MCQs with no negative marking. Could be hearsay but I have heard friends of friends who have said it.

Nah, it's just not true. Lots of rugby players were medics historically.

Med school standards are closely monitored. Those rumours fly around all the med schools. Everyone has an opinion on which is the harder degree, and which is the "best".

The take home message is that no one will give a flying mickey what med school you went to when you graduate. All people care about is how you perform on the job.

RCSI-ers, don't worry about what anyone says. You'll hear people at your college saying these things about other places. None of it's true. So, just get your head down and enjoy your weekends, and have the time of your life. Because it really does get very tough after graduation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

Got my first choice in Galway - I'm so happy!

Turns out I would of got into any college I wanted with my points, which kind of surprised me.

EDIT: Someone should make a list of who's going where, it would be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LemonsAndLimes

Well dont to everyone who has got their offers and best of luck to the people who didn't!

Just wondering if anyone has found out about the northern applicants yet? Do we just go into round 2 or are there places reserved for us? I'm kind of nervous about thursday but im confident i have enough points for trinity/ucd but im still not sure of how the places are allocated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think for non-Irish applicants there are a certain number of places reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

The paper's saying that those entered into medicine got between 153-220 in thier HPATs. So 153+550=703; but the cut off point for RCS was 715 no?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

theowen wrote: »
    The paper's saying that those entered into medicine got between 153-220 in thier HPATs. So 153+550=703; but the cut off point for RCS was 715 no?:confused:

560*(ie. 600 points) from the leaving cert and 153 from HPAT would be enough for NUIG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Oh thanks, Jesus, I got 154 so I've a glimmer of hope for next year i guess ha!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement