Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plantation of Ulster stamp

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Is it a celebratory or a mourning type stamp or does it have a neutral theme to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sinead O Connor messed with your head, John.

Get over it.

And lose that beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

I can understand his upset, but i wouldn't support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Tell me this is a joke, please.

Assuming this is not a joke - maybe they mean it in an affirmative way: to remind people of our history, even the dark parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wow. More tags than posts. Thats gotta be rare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Quazzie wrote: »
    Wow. More tags than posts. Thats gotta be rare

"Sensitive spud-stealing backstards"

:)

I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

stovelid wrote: »
    "Sensitive spud-stealing backstards"

:)

I laughed.
    Point of order: They're two separate tags.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Point of order: They're two separate tags.

Thankfully it's the spud-stealing portion that delivers the payload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In before the usual suspects.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Will next stamp be Cromwell or King Billy?
    Place your bets here folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I want to hear from dflenop and rebelheart on the matter of the offending stamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Magnus wrote: »
    Will next stamp be Cromwell or King Billy?
    Place your bets here folks.

Hopefully the Queen. Bring back Britain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Grimes wrote: »
    I want to hear from dflenop and rebelheart on the matter of the offending stamps.

Who do you think added half of them tags?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It gave us our language.

*stir*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Grimes wrote: »

Conversations are better held on IRC or via PM.
    However if you are trolling another poster...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

So an Post are releasing a stamp that the twenty people in the country who don't have email or mobile phones might see and use? Yawn! And before anybody jumps in with "What about bills etc." Most companies use automated franking machines and not stamps. There are far more things in this country to get incenced about tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Hagar wrote: »
    Conversations are better held on IRC or via PM.
    However if you are trolling another poster...

It's ok :)

In response to his question - I don't think we should commemorate the removal of farmers from their land, the creation of sectarianism, and the implementation of penal laws. If that's worthy of a friendly jibe from Grimes, then so be it. I'm not going to go out burning out Yellow Reg cars because of some stamp. I'm not really bothered either way.

Besides, all the cool kids use e-mail these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Originally Posted by www.irishtimes.com
    Madam, – I am disappointed to learn in the latest issue of An Post’s philatelist magazine, The Collector, that a stamp will be issued on September 4th to commemorate the Plantation of Ulster.

I am dismayed that An Post would consider an event where England colonised this country as being worthy of a commemorative stamp. This event directly contributed to the partition of Ulster from the rest of the Republic that exists today. It is akin to South Africa’s ANC party releasing a commemorative stamp welcoming the colonisation of English and Dutch settlers which ultimately led to the apartheid system that existed there. Shame on those who came up with this idea. – Yours, etc,

JOHN WATERS,

Moyvoon,

Oughterard,

Co Galway.

Sir,

I am sick of useless wasters living in the past who have fcuk all better to do than drag up the same mindless dirge time after time. The stamp was only issued to prevent fcuks like you from sending more pointless letters.

Ask my arse.

King Billy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Oh dear...this takes the pandering the bigots/orange order/loyalists up North to new levels...:rolleyes:

I bet it's a snealk way for the Gov to get everyone to boycott the stamps and take up more use of email...if only they were that smart.

spurious wrote: »
    It gave us our language.

*stir*

Big spoon in the post for you...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I support anything John Waters is against and vice versa. I was delighted his Eurovision song finished last.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I await An Posts llyod george/winston churchill/tan bastards commemorative set with bated breath. :rolleyes:

Oh won't mother england be suprised indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I don't think this is pandering to anybody. I think you can commemorate a historical event without celebrating or rejoicing in it. So long as the design was tasteful i have no objection, it might even educate people a bit to their history.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Wow, aknowledgement of our history on a stamp. And people get upset by this...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Bambi wrote: »
    I await An Posts llyod george/winston churchill/tan bastards commemorative set with bated breath. :rolleyes:

Oh won't mother england be suprised indeed.

Or, for the guys who aren't interested in history, they could do a selection of tits of the week stamps. They'd probably never see an envelope and would make An Post a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

obl wrote: »
    Wow, aknowledgement of our history on a stamp. And people get upset by this...

Yes because everyone likes to be reminded of the 'good ole days'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

who cares, nobody uses stamps nowadays

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Or, for the guys who aren't interested in history, they could do a selection of tits of the week stamps. They'd probably never see an envelope and would make An Post a fortune.

Thats a great idea. I have an MA in Irish history so I dont need stamps to remind me of the good ol days..:D

Advertisement