Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Do You Think About Social Networking Sites?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

marzabar wrote: »
    I convinced my closest friends (along with myself obviously) to all just delete our bebos in one swift movement. While at first I was kinda apprehensive about losing contact with some people and losing old photos and all that... don't miss it in the slightest. It got to the stage where it was adding unnecessary drama to life. Going from "Why did he move me down in his top friends" to "he can't have me in his top friends" is a nice change!

I would never give up Bebo without first backing up my photographs. Too many memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marzabar

I copy and pasted the pictures I didn't have backed up and sent a mass message out giving my email address so if anyone felt the desire to stay in touch they could. In retrospect, shutting it down wasn't really "swift". Well worth it though, free from the shackles of bebo!! Whoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Nettie

Bebo's been really annoying me lately. Everyone used to be good and update their page regularly but now most of my friends' pages would be exactly the same for days and weeks. It's so boring. MSN all the way! It's so easier to talk to people with. But having said that Bebo's good for what a few of you have mentioned as ''Bebo-stalking'' (Just seeing who that new guy your friend's going out with is kinda thing).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

They're pretty pathetic tbh. Why would you even bother using them to chat to people, why not just use msn or ring them?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Facebook isnt the worst cause its plain and doesnt offend my eyes.
    Bebo & Myspce though?
    BURNNNNNNN BURN BURN BURN BURNNNNNN!!!!!!GRAGGGGGHHHHHHHH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Anthem

I have both Facebook and Bebo, have pretty much stopped using the latter at all though. Much prefer the simplicity of MSN or that ol' gem the mobile telephone... Although I suppose social networking sites do prove rather useful when contacting friends abroad or keeping in touch with old friends... Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Uh, yeah, mm, facebook is like, WAY more mature than bebo, cos like, it's a different colour, and a different layout like, so, even though it still barrages me with bull**** quizzes and games when I log on, it's like, yeah, this is mature.

I hate facebook snobs. I'm now on bebo, twitter and facebook. They're all the f*cking same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Uh, yeah, mm, facebook is like, WAY more mature than bebo, cos like, it's a different colour, and a different layout like, so, even though it still barrages me with bull**** quizzes and games when I log on, it's like, yeah, this is mature.

I hate facebook snobs. I'm now on bebo, twitter and facebook. They're all the f*cking same.

No spam on Facebook (For me so far)

I'm on Bebo, that's it really. I can't say I use it much anymore, but I'm a bit sentimental about deleting it: I have had it since 2005.

I'll never join Facebook are any of the newer ones (and I'll probably end up deleting my Bebo in the next year or so).

P.S. Can somebody tell me if I'm going mad or not: I remember joining a social networking site called Facebox (or something like that, and no it wasn't Facebook) about 3ish years ago. Anybody remember it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Had a Bebo. Deleted it when I realised it was full of idiots and whores....

........Maybe my friends are just a bit shit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

I hope to god Tagged met it's demise,the thing was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I hope to god Tagged met it's demise,the thing was awful.

Nope, unfortunately its still going. Loads of my friends use it, and talk about it constantly :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I've become addicted to Facebook since discovering the applications. I now have to compulsively check my virtual Mafia on Mafia Wars, check my virtual farm on Farmville, check my game of Scrabble with a random stranger and try to beat my top score in Scramble. :o

Oh, and I sometimes talk to friends on it too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

I love oul bebo and facebook! Don't really see the point in them to be honest, just to catch up with friends who I havn't seen for ages!!

I rather facebook though as its much neater or something, don't have to wait ages for some ones page to load up like bebo because they have a million quizzes such as ''what letter will your next boyfriend's name begin with''.

Myspace is cool if your into music and up and coming bands but other than that its a bit boring.

Think I just stick the boards and MSN for now on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I just use my bebo to stalk people and chat with friends.

:)
    Its alrite like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I love all those sexi gurrrls, they're so hott. The only thing is when I try to look at their pages or comment back, they don't let me. It got me thinking, maybe I'm coming on too fast and they're beiing scared off but then I remember they're asking me to look at their thong and other stuff... :(:confused:

On a serious note, I recently got into facebook and much prefer it to Bebo. I rarely go on Bebo now. I like the lack of profile view whores and luv-whores. Facebook is Bebo's much cooler, more mature older brother. Plus, farmville is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Jay P wrote: »
    farmville is awesome.

Most. Addictive. Thing. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I use Bebo to chat with friends, look at photos of some event I was at that someone else took, stalk friends and just be nosy in general. I'd prefer to have it than not have it, because taking away all the flashy nonsense, it's a very useful communication tool and great for someone to run a social life from the comfort of their own home.

I got an email from Bebo this morning saying that I've broken some rule (which somebody has obviously reported) and that my profile will probably be deleted in the coming days. I don't have a clue what rule I've broken though, as I rarely use it anymore...

Anyway, there goes four years of Bebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Ever since I went to college last year I haven't even touched my Bebo. Facebook is far and away the better site these days imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Everybody says things like "Oh, Facebook is so much more mature than Bebo", etc, but in reality it's the same old bullshít. Games and quizzes and causes and 14 year olds from school whom I've never spoken to adding me. I like both Bebo and Facebook, it just annoys me when Facebook users look down on Bebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I got an email from Bebo this morning saying that I've broken some rule (which somebody has obviously reported) and that my profile will probably be deleted in the coming days. I don't have a clue what rule I've broken though, as I rarely use it anymore...

Anyway, there goes four years of Bebo.
    I lol'd. Send em an email and find out. They sometimes ban for retarded things like uploading videos which could promote illegal activity and **** like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Everybody says things like "Oh, Facebook is so much more mature than Bebo", etc, but in reality it's the same old bullshít. Games and quizzes and causes and 14 year olds from school whom I've never spoken to adding me. I like both Bebo and Facebook, it just annoys me when Facebook users look down on Bebo.
    The type of people who put X's after there names.

The type of people who put X's after there names.

Well to be fair, that can mean something:

xxxFadxxx (Or xXxFadxXx)

Would technically mean I'm straight edge.

Fad wrote: »
    Well to be fair, that can mean something:

xxxFadxxx (Or xXxFadxXx)

Would technically mean I'm straight edge.
    Yeah but I doubt its straight edgs when its like ''JessieBbby2k9xXx''

Yeah but I doubt its straight edgs when its like ''JessieBbby2k9xXx''

I see no problem.......:)

Fad wrote: »
    I see no problem.......:)
    I suppose said ''Jessie'' is just stating that shes a baby being straight edge in 2009!!:pac:

I suppose said ''Jessie'' is just stating that shes a baby being straight edge in 2009!!:pac:

Obviously bbz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Used to be a Bebo fan but then group invites got infiltrated by spammers and I keep getting invites to at LEAST 20 groups a day, and kept being added by 12 year olds so transferred to my facebook a/c. I like it :]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

FarmTown > Farmville :P

My bebo page is more for a laugh than anything really. And I use Facebook to stay in touch with a few friends who don't have bebo. The million notifications really annoy me though.

Advertisement