Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

200kms of road reclassified motorway except Athlone bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

sonyair wrote: »
    Is the limerick bypass included as it was to be
    As far as I can tell the complete southern ring road is included. I thought this wasnt gonna happen until the opening of the Limerick Tunnel.

I was going to note how they haven't included the dual carriageway from Limerick to Shannon but I suppose it is one of the countries first and might not be up to it. Then again was I right in reading the dualcarriageway heading down to the dunkettle roundabout it going to be changed to motorway and that is comparable to the limerick--shannon dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

oh great thanks, can't wait for the 2nd phase of the ring road to open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

1huge1 wrote: »
    As far as I can tell the complete southern ring road is included. I thought this wasnt gonna happen until the opening of the Limerick Tunnel.

I was going to note how they haven't included the dual carriageway from Limerick to Shannon but I suppose it is one of the countries first and might not be up to it. Then again was I right in reading the dualcarriageway heading down to the dunkettle roundabout it going to be changed to motorway and that is comparable to the limerick--shannon dual carriageway.

I don't think it is included, I think the M7 will stop at the N20 interchange then continue as N7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Colm R wrote: »
    And to answer my own question, I just checked the NRA website.

The M9 will come a lot closer to Kilkenny than the N9, and the remaining 6.5km will be high quality single carriageway. So no, it will be N10.

Colm, it has nothing to do with how many lanes the road has. The fact that the new N10 leads inescapably to the M9 motorway means that motorway restrictions are legally required. That is unless they've modified the design since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

1huge1 wrote: »

Been a while since I last drove it but doesn't the Limerick-Shannon Dual Carriageway have gaps in the median? That would be a big no-no for a motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

KevR wrote: »
    Been a while since I last drove it but doesn't the Limerick-Shannon Dual Carriageway have gaps in the median? That would be a big no-no for a motorway.
    you are right that theres (feckin dangerous) gaps to crossover in the entre of the road,
    But thats why the classification begins at the junction of the shannon road N19 with the N18 and only north of this is to be Motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

There are a large number of direct accesses onto the N18 between The Two Mile Inn and N19 juntion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

nordydan wrote: »
    I don't think it is included, I think the M7 will stop at the N20 interchange then continue as N7

Correct the N7 tunnel phase 2 wasnt included in the second tranche of redesignations but phase 1 was.

Anyway its about time the redesignations have been done. I'm very dissapointed about the Athlone bypass. It really should have been M6 with restricted limit of 100km/hr.

On the bright side we have the dc on the N18 reclassified as the M18. It will stretch from Gort-Shannon by the end of next year.
    you are right that theres (feckin dangerous) gaps to crossover in the entre of the road,

You will also see huge depressions on the road surface and the closer you come into Limerick you will spot some of the hard shoulder replaced by a footpath for the houses along the dual carriageway southbound lane. And I havnt even mentioned the junctions are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

KevR wrote: »

I think you may be thinking of the old hurler's Cross junction (before the GSJ) and old Shannon junction.

There is only one median gap as such remaining on the N18, at the Radisson hotel on the way into Limerick (the other U-turn on the way into Limerick replaced by a roundabout for Coonagh Cross Tesco). In any case that stretch of DC is a moot point due to the new N7 bypass ending at a point just outside the Radisson crossover (which I think is also to be Rbout once the bypass is done). It's entirely possible the N18 will be reclassified as R road from the N7 bypass junction into town.

The N18 has *no* median crossings any longer between Radisson/new N7 junction, and the end of the DC north of Ennis.

As such, median crossings is not a valid reason. The main valid reason for N18 not being motorway between N7 junction and at least Bunratty is that there are some private accesses (i.e. even some driveways) for all the fact that the median is unbroken. Another fairly major reason is the lack of straightforward alternative route to Bunratty from either Shannon or Limerick directions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

There is going to be a discussion on this after 5pm on The Last Word on Today FM, just heard on radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

darkman2 wrote: »
    There is going to be a discussion on this after 5pm on The Last Word on Today FM, just heard on radio.

can you listen to that on the web?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

What a waste of money in replacing all those green road signs.

Have you seen the state of the signs on the Athlone bypass! they're completely worn out! If the Athlone relief road is still up for discussion, then we'll have to wait a bit longer for them to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The N18 from Shannon to Limerick (East of Bunratty anyway) is nowhere near motorway standard. The curves for a start make the Athlone bypass look like an Autobahn. Also there are still quite a few unsuitable junctions and a lot of houses fronting onto it. It would require a complete rebuild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Why are sections of the N25, already at 120km/hr, not being reclassified whilst sections of the N2 & N20 are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

The N18 from Shannon to Limerick (East of Bunratty anyway) is nowhere near motorway standard. The curves for a start make the Athlone bypass look like an Autobahn. Also there are still quite a few unsuitable junctions and a lot of houses fronting onto it. It would require a complete rebuild.

With a full GSJ at hurlers cross, and closing the access road between here and the N19 junction, they could extend the motorway east by about a mile. The rest looks more difficult.

Edit, slightly further east to the R471 looks doable as well, if a westbound onslip was added and the internediate junction closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Just passed the Coldwinters exit on the N2 and saw traffic maintenance lorry, erecting those poles that look like scaffolding.

They also have much taller poles right behind the sign for exit 2, ready for the new blue version. The NRA work fast when they want to!

JayeL wrote: »
    Just passed the Coldwinters exit on the N2 and saw traffic maintenance lorry, erecting those poles that look like scaffolding.

They also have much taller poles right behind the sign for exit 2, ready for the new blue version. The NRA work fast when they want to!

From posts I've seen elsewhere on this forum, they were planning to upgrade signage on most of these roads anyway, just waiting to find out what colour. ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The curves aren't the worst part, the deceptive surface - looks smooth but undulates like a poor rollercoaster - is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Bards wrote: »
    and so it begins http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/resources/eng/Services/Planning/Planning_Lists/Week%2026%202009%20Applications%20Received.pdf

Planning Application for site development works associated with servicing
    future 'retail park' development sites within the 3.0 hectares sites at Newrath, Co. Kilkenny.

The development will consist of the following: Ecological enhancement and landscaping proposals covering an area of c. 8560m2 to include the restoration of the existing drainage channel, wetland and wet woodland habitat on the eastern site boundary;

restoration of the wetland habitat along the northern and western site boundary; landscaping of a strip of land on the southern portion of the site; landscaping on all site boundaries to provide screening;

construction of a new vehicular access onto the N9 which was recently been downgraded to a Local Access Road;

culverting of the drainage channel beneath the access point; construction of a 7.3m wide internal access road to serve future development plots within the site consistent with the zoning objectives of the site or any planning permission granted; erection of 2.4m high security fencing; and installation of public lighting, electrical and drainageworks.

The proposed works includes for both the regarding and retention of fill deposited within the site over an area of c.26993m2 before 2001. An appropriate expert environmental assessment is contained in an Environmental Report which accompanies this application.

Newrath Co. Kilkenny

Blatant evidence it seems! :mad:

There should be a public campaign to get the Waterford Bypass reclassified now - developers and speculators have had their time! :mad:

Regards!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Nope, the Waterford Bypass stands almost no chance of being redesignated now, the NRA don't have the balls.

By the way, it must be made clear that no definitive decision has been made on the Athlone Bypass. I bet it will still ultimately get through. Just a pity it has had to be delayed because of useless, unnecesary, selfish whinging. Those people need to realise that the Athlone Bypass is now part of the M6 national route whether or not the signage says so now or not. It is NOT the place for people to drag their tractors around, if they have to go through the town to keep the road safer for the majority of road users, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bards

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Nope, the Waterford Bypass stands almost no chance of being redesignated now, the NRA don't have the balls.

By the way, it must be made clear that no definitive decision has been made on the Athlone Bypass. I bet it will still ultimately get through. Just a pity it has had to be delayed because of useless, unnecesary, selfish whinging. Those people need to realise that the Athlone Bypass is now part of the M6 national route whether or not the signage says so now or not. It is NOT the place for people to drag their tractors around, if they have to go through the town to keep the road safer for the majority of road users, so be it.

Made me laugh to hear the guy from the NRA on newstalk this evening. I'll paraphrase "One of the main reasons we are re-classifying HQDC's is to stop inappropiate development happening along the route and safeguard the investment"

so what is their statement as to why the the N25 (Waterford City Bypass) won't be included - it's not long enough!!!!

anyone care to guess how many retail/business parks will be tacked onto it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Blatant evidence it seems! mad.gif

There should be a public campaign to get the Waterford Bypass reclassified now - developers and speculators have had their time! mad.gif

That site in question is about a mile from the N25 mainline so even if the M25 did materalise ,this proposed development would probably be unaffected from what I can see anyway. Basically its the bog between the old Auto Boland car showrooms on the now closed section of N9 and the rail line, so on balance if it creates jobs it's probably not a bad thing in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Bards wrote: »
    anyone care to guess how many retail/business parks will be tacked onto it?

Have you seen in the Grannagh interchange?

A developer's wet dream. A badly designed junction that is just perfect for capturing all Dublin-Waterford, Cork-Waterford traffic and funelling them into a sprawling retail park.

The Celtic Tiger may be over, but the mindset still remains...

I'm not looking forward to seeing how the Waterford Bypass is ruined by development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

BluntGuy wrote: »

The road through the town isn't suitable as an alternative route.

You have 2/3 of the bypass local traffic

Let's be real here.

The only concern is pedestrians and cyclists. It can get special status, to ban cyclists off the road.

It does not have the appropriate measure to be a motorway. There is no justification putting alternative traffic on a congested town centre route. The bypass is the only arterial route for the town. Putting more traffic onto the medieval bridge is not sustainable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

mysterious wrote: »
    Let's be real here.

The only concern is pedestrians and cyclists.

Judging by your form I'm assuming that comment is not a joke. Its all about developers for me. We do not need anymore development along that route that brings slow moving local unnecessary traffic onto the road. Have you driven the south link in cork lately? The road has been destroyed by inappropriate development that no motorway would allow.

You are the same person who wants a future proofed road network:eek:

Confused and not going to get into a debate as its been flogged to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The Athlone bypass is surrounded by development on both sides the whole way. There is little land to develop only off the exists which are all urbanised anyway.

Putting blue signs here does not future proof this road.

The road is ito ndequate for motorway status and the alternative is not good enough. END OF STORY.

it is is seved by over 20,000 vehicles that avoid the town. The last thing we want is to put extra traffic on the towns streets.

The other 10,000 N6 cars can put up with local traffic as they have done for 20 years. And any pedestrian walking on the bypass. Read this, you deserve to be killed if you walk on this dual carriageway. You will get this message.

Ban cyclists and pedestrians, and enough of this bull****. I want my blue signs its looks sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

The start of the N2 dual carriageway north of Ashbourne had M2 confirmation signs up this morning. No other signs up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

I want my blue signs its looks sexy.

I'd say one of the number of reasons so few people take you seriously on this site is because you continually harp on as if people have some sort of fetish for blue signs and lines, when the reality is you are the only one continually bringing the colour of the designation into the argument.

Most people are arguing based on their respective opinions on safety, efficiency and restraining development. Kindly cut out your bollocking on as if everyone elses opinion is "blue-motivated".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The Athlone bypass is surrounded by development on both sides the whole way. There is little land to develop only off the exists which are all urbanised anyway.

Putting blue signs here does not future proof this road.

The road is ito ndequate for motorway status and the alternative is not good enough. END OF STORY.

it is is seved by over 20,000 vehicles that avoid the town. The last thing we want is to put extra traffic on the towns streets.

The other 10,000 N6 cars can put up with local traffic as they have done for 20 years. And any pedestrian walking on the bypass. Read this, you deserve to be killed if you walk on this dual carriageway. You will get this message.

Ban cyclists and pedestrians, and enough of this bull****. I want my blue signs its looks sexy.

So what if 20,000 vehicles are local traffic and 10,000 are long distance. 99% of those 20,000 vehicles will still be eligable to use the bypass if it changes to motorway. A very small amount of vehicles (which shouldn't be on the bypass at all) will have to use the town - no big deal.

Putting extra traffic on the towns streets is not something we want obviously but I would put pedestrians/cyclists getting killed or a tractor causing a pile up as things I would like to happen less than a few extra vehicles in the town.

Advertisement