Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Mitchelstown to Fermoy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭rameire

went to cork from athy and back today.
    went at 2pm on the bike today, glorious day for it,
    tis a great road now, a pleasure to drive.
    just on a timing issue,
    from the cullahil junction to the watergrasshill junction
    it took 50 min.
    legally it cannot be done any quicker.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

Furet wrote: »
    Someone has started to update OSM. But they have misnamed the N73 and R639 Mitchelstown Relief Road.

That was me. I've fixed it now. Just to be clear on how this is done (I refer to the "still not mapped" posts :p )...

A week ago the thing opened. A bunch of us Irish OSMers are in frequent contact, and there is a presence in Cork. It was known that I was to travel the road this weekend, so we resolved to do it then, or map it from any tracks that might be donated to us from non-mappers or folks not confident in their mapping ability. None came, hence the 1 week delay.

You'll see that what has actually been mapped so far is the southbound carriageway only, coming off at all junctions to capture the slip roads. I'll be travelling back up to Dublin, at which time I'll log and map the northbound carriageway with ramps, then extrapolate the path of the mainline (which can then be refined with future actual mainline traces).

I do need guidance as to what has to happen to the R665. Intuitively, it feels like this wants to join the M8, but I can't decide at which end that should happen. I'd also be very grateful for any GPS traces taken of the mainline so I can more accurately map that between junctions, where my own traces, as noted, will be coming off at each ramp.

BTW, anybody collecting GPS traces for OSM should ideally do the following:
    • Set your receiver to log one point every second. Some log so infrequently that the resulting mapping is far too coarse in detail.
    • Drive all the way around any roundabouts, to allow the diameter to be accurately gauged.

You should expect the northbound carriageway to be fully mapped by Tuesday. Anybody wanting updated routable Garmin maps, please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Is there a site for the Irish OSMers? I dont get a whole lot done but I've done some mapping in Cork and Galway.

Is there a site for the Irish OSMers? I dont get a whole lot done but I've done some mapping in Cork and Galway.

You should check out the Ireland Project Page, the Irish mailing list (low traffic) and the IRC channel.

Incidentally, it looks like somebody (maybe from here, in which case, thanks) has uploaded a GPS trace for the southbound mainline, from which I have completed the southbound mapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

mackerski wrote: »

I do need guidance as to what has to happen to the R665. Intuitively, it feels like this wants to join the M8, but I can't decide at which end that should happen. I'd also be very grateful for any GPS traces taken of the mainline so I can more accurately map that between junctions, where my own traces, as noted, will be coming off at each ramp.

Thanks very much for your efforts mackerski.
    The R665 has no junction with the M8; it just passes over it. It starts at the centre of Mitchelstown and proceeds towards Clonmel.

What did you think of the new M8 section?

• Advertisement

The R665 has no junction with the M8; it just passes over it. It starts at the centre of Mitchelstown and proceeds towards Clonmel.

This is fine, but generally that would have it terminating at the junction with another regional road. So the question is whether any of the old road through Mitchelstown has remained as the R639, and, if so, which parts. You'll see that OSM currently has the R665 pushing west of the town centre to join the relief road, perhaps there are (or were) even signs to this effect.
    What did you think of the new M8 section?

It's very satisfactory. Far better than either Mitchelstown or its relief road :D

This is fine, but generally that would have it terminating at the junction with another regional road. So the question is whether any of the old road through Mitchelstown has remained as the R639, and, if so, which parts. You'll see that OSM currently has the R665 pushing west of the town centre to join the relief road, perhaps there are (or were) even signs to this effect.

There aren't. I've often wondered about the main street through Mitchelstown in particular. It's unnamed. There are white signs galore, but no route numbers.

You should check out the Ireland Project Page, the Irish mailing list (low traffic) and the IRC channel.

Incidentally, it looks like somebody (maybe from here, in which case, thanks) has uploaded a GPS trace for the southbound mainline, from which I have completed the southbound mapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

It's very satisfactory. Far better than either Mitchelstown or its relief road :D

I do a return Macroom / Dublin journey every week on Sundays and friday - it's taken another 10 minutes off the journey!

It now seems that a picture of the M8 M-F section will win SABRE's June Photo of the Month Competition. I believe this will be only the second time that a picture of an Irish road has been elevated to the top of SABRE's pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think just give the delisted roads an R008 or RXXX for the moment.

Its not showing on zooms 1-10 and junctiosn seem to be slightly off (possibly only the start of the off ramp is marked).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

About the oddest ring road about. :) and the smallest place int he country to have a ring road of this quality. :D

darkman2 wrote: »
    Furet does the M8 have to rise to get over the foothills of the Galtees? Im trying to get context from both sides of them which you have photographed and looks to me like it does. If so you must get some good views. The route does look very scenic.

It cuts into the foothills to a very slight degree close to junction 10, but other than that it just skirts along the base of the range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

It now seems that a picture of the M8 M-F section will win SABRE's June Photo of the Month Competition. I believe this will be only the second time that a picture of an Irish road has been elevated to the top of SABRE's pages.

It has!!! :D

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/

Congrats Mate! :)

Regards!

Victor wrote: »
    I think just give the delisted roads an R008 or RXXX for the moment.

Its not showing on zooms 1-10 and junctiosn seem to be slightly off (possibly only the start of the off ramp is marked).

In the absence of a known regional road number, we just drop the classification to what OSM calls "tertiary". The missing info you mention is related to the way the OSM map tiles are progressively re-rendered for the different zoom levels, so it's normal and should sort itself out during the course of today (this is a lot better than in the past, when re-renders would only occur weekly).

The map should now be spot on with the exception of some of the bridges over the motorway, which are mis-placed and which I'll fix later. Also the aforementioned uncertainty over the road numbers within Mitchelstown. This may need clarification by the County Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Congratulations Furet :D

Got my 1st chance to drive the new section last night. Very nice, and what made it better, no Corbett Court. :)

What I did notice having not driven the stretch in 5 weeks, is there a new off ramp going in at exit 8 for the Northbound cars??** I did see the cones up here a few weeks ago but no sign off an off ramp. **(just checked M8 Wikipedia page, got answer)

Plus there was a white van just before exit 7 I think it was last night, i presume it's the same van thats been spoke off under the bridge in earlier posts.

All in all a nice drive up apart from losing the 10 mins I gained on the new stretch to a tailback in Abbeyleix. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Was in Cork for some of the weekend, drove Limerick->Cahir->Cork on the way down, just to take a trip on the new road.

From Cahir to Cork, the road itself is very smooth, the tie-ins are seamless. Some of the scenery is great as well, and you can really appreciate it, instead of being stuck frustratedly behind some 40MPH merchant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Anyone know what the journey time roughly is from Mitchelstown-Dublin with the new sections open?

I was going to drive from Fermoy-Dublin to see Fermoy-Mitchelstown opened scheme but the route would be longer from coming from the west side of Cork on the N73.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

wouldnt be much difference..the N72 is probably better than the N73 and if you know the shortcut avoiding Castletownroche....

Mitch to Dublin? an easy 2 hours Id say....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I drove the M8 today back from Dublin before turning off at junction 14. An excellent piece of engineering and I must say I could not fault any scheme that was completed.

I could also notice how Furet said the asphalt is alot different on the M-F scheme and I have to agree that felt the best stretch of the whole M8 I drove. Nice rock blasting on the Cullahill-Cashel also but wasnt much of a suprise thanks to the great pics seen already.

The drive was immaculate apart from a very bad jam at Abbeyleix :rolleyes:. It was so obvious that cuurent road cant simply carry the amount of traffic that currently passes it at the minute. The quicker the M7/M8 scheme finishes the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

It has!!! :D

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/

Congrats Mate! :)

Regards!

Well Furet...

it looks like you've done a double - it's now Monday 6th July and your M8 photo is still upon its throne on SABRE!!! :D

You're really getting mileage with that one mate!!! :D

Regards! :cool:

That's strange! I expect they'll replace it any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

That's strange! I expect they'll replace it any day now.

Yeah, no doubt someone will see the name of the Titlebar on the browser and realise that Cork is not in the UK.:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah, no doubt someone will see the name of the Titlebar on the browser and realise that Cork is not in the UK.:D

Someone's forgotten to change the titlebar, the site changed its name to "The Society for All British and Irish Road Enthusiasts" a few days/weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

MYOB wrote: »
    Someone's forgotten to change the titlebar, the site changed its name to "The Society for All British and Irish Road Enthusiasts" a few days/weeks ago.
    Ah ok, so SABRE becomes SABIRE,
    thats a lot of references to SABRE on that site that need to be changed!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They stated that the acronym wasn't to change!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

corktina wrote: »

Mitch to Dublin? an easy 2 hours Id say....

I do South Circular Rd. in Dublin to Mitchelstown in about 1hr 40min now.

Worked on a few stretches of the road at different times, great feeling to drive it now, knowing each of the layers and all the stages of construction that went into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

A brief update in relation to the road:

All the signage at Junctions 13 and 14 has been corrected. "Motorway ahead" signs etc. are all in the correct positions so that's fine.

The Mitchelstown Bypass hasn't been touched and neither has the old N8. Passing through Fermoy, no changes have been made there either.

And, as Furet already said, plenty of new poles up on the N8 Watergrasshill - Dunkettle. I was too lazy to get any pictures.

Also, with regards to the Dublin-Cork bus, what route does it take now? I haven't used the bus service in quite a while. Does it use any stretches of the new motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gtec

Dublin-Cork bus, what route does it take now?

I doubt it takes the motorway as I saw it last week reversing from the on ramp onto the roundabout at the junction north of Fermoy!

I assume the driver was unfamiliar with the route and followed the Dublin sign until he realised he was heading onto the Motorway before pulling off his highly dangerous stunt.

Gtec

• Advertisement

I would guess that the Bus Eireann services still wind up the old route. We'd need a Gobus from Cork - Dublin to use the motorway the whole way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement