Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Mitchelstown to Fermoy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Google are also mapping the whole country while doing streetview , every inch of road !

That makes sense, I knew they were doing the street view thing, but it makes sense for them to map the roads at the same time.

Google currently use both Navteq and TeleAtlas on Google Maps, but if they create and maintain their own maps they might save money by dropping these companies and they could become the third major mapping company.
    BluntGuy wrote: »
    This is all well and good, but it still doesn't answer why is my bloody sat-nav is wrong!

It can take up to two years for map updates to make it to GPS devices. That why I think net connected devices like the iPhone, with Google Maps and Open Street Map are the future of GPS.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wasn't aware that they were doing any form of road mapping while doing Street View, but it might explain why I've seen the SV cars in a town of 12,000 people (Arklow) which is tiny compared to where they've covered in any other country...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MYOB wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that they were doing any form of road mapping while doing Street View, but it might explain why I've seen the SV cars in a town of 12,000 people (Arklow) which is tiny compared to where they've covered in any other country...

Interesting article about the possibility here:
    http://blumenthals.com/blog/2009/01/29/will-googles-streetview-data-be-used-to-replace-teleatlas/

Seems silly for Google to license the maps from TeleAtlas, when they have all the data themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Furet wrote: »
    Nope, Monday 25.

In light of the recent atrocious weather conditions, is the above opening date still on?

Me thinks not! :(

Regards!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The teleatlas maps are ****e is why, their google maps in rural galway look like they were done by a drunk monkey with a crayon .

Therefore Google set out to re do the maps themselves and they caught both me and my house up a boreen in Early April in Galway , on the way back down I brought yer man in for a coffee as it was raining and he had to cover the camera and sit it out :D .

It felt rather odd to have a Google Street View car decommissioned in my driveway be the Galway rain , sort of who watches the watchmen stuff TBH . Then it stopped raining and off he went again .

Incidentally I do not feel that the roof of his Red Dublin Reg 09 Astra will take the amount of uncovering and recovering of camera involved and that something sturdier will be required before they finish Ireland given how showery it is this spring .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What crowd do Microsoft use? Their maps are actually quite decent. Google should start with licensing the data they use and build from there in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

In light of the recent atrocious weather conditions, is the above opening date still on?

Me thinks not! :(

Regards!

Surfacing, lining and studding all done...only final fixings left, and these aren't especially weather dependent. But yes, the opening date has yet to be definitively confirmed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

yahoo http://maps.yahoo.com/ and microsoft use the navteq maps which were done the same way as Google, drive the lot . They hired students to do them in summer 2007 ?? I think , maybe 2006 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Surfacing, lining and studding all done...only final fixings left, and these aren't especially weather dependent. But yes, the opening date has yet to be definitively confirmed.

...that's good! :)

There can't be too many obstacles then before the 25th! :)

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dunkettle

I live on the N8 just outside of Mitchelstown! I'm going to miss the traffc!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

dunkettle wrote: »
    I live on the N8 just outside of Mitchelstown! I'm going to miss the traffc!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

talk to a local property developer, they seem to be able to generate traffic almost anywhere:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

www.openstreetmap.org is still the most accurate mapping system for the major roads, and minor roads are burgeoning on that site as people have nothing better to do other than map :D

I have OSM and City Navigator (based on NAVTeq) on my GPS. OSM is my main one, but its not routable, so City Navigator does get used. OSM is way more accurate in the cities and on the main roads tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 popmart

Nope, Monday 25.

Hi Furet,

I worked on the Cashel to Mitchelstown and Cashel to Cullahill sections and I am looking forward to this road opening as it will make my weekend trek to the inlaws in Cashel alot quicker and safer.

With regard to the M8 Portlaoise to Cullahill Road; do you have any idea what the expected completion date will be? Again more inlaws in the Portlaoise area.

Thanks.

popmart wrote: »
    Hi Furet,

I worked on the Cashel to Mitchelstown and Cashel to Cullahill sections and I am looking forward to this road opening as it will make my weekend trek to the inlaws in Cashel alot quicker and safer.

With regard to the M8 Portlaoise to Cullahill Road; do you have any idea what the expected completion date will be? Again more inlaws in the Portlaoise area.

Thanks.

It could be anywhere between July and December 2010 popmart, there's no way to tell at this stage unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

It could be anywhere between July and December 2010 popmart, there's no way to tell at this stage unfortunately.

Well, I imagine the tie-in at Cullahill will be the last thing they do, so when that starts getting worked on, it'll be a good indication the road is about to open. But that's the only way I can think of telling when this scheme is nearly complete (apart from the usual suspects like signage, lining and studding etc.)

Unfortunately it's not possible to even compare the pace of construction to the C-M, F-M and C-C schemes, despite your excellent pics - because this scheme is going at a confusing pace - infuriatingly slow at times and just recently, speeding up exponentially. I only hope that momentum is maintained.

I would say though, that July is very optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

I have OSM and City Navigator (based on NAVTeq) on my GPS. OSM is my main one, but its not routable, so City Navigator does get used. OSM is way more accurate in the cities and on the main roads tho.

It's OT, but hell, seems many participants are good with GPS map rants...

OSM routable maps for Garmin are now possible and work rather well. Anybody who requires one can grab this gmapsupp.img file for Ireland from today (you'll need to save as, server isn't configured to do the right thing). Anybody needing a hand to get it going, just yell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Furet, to clarify, do you mean earliest completion in July 2010?

Dirigent wrote: »
    Furet, to clarify, do you mean earliest completion in July 2010?

If the contractors go hell for leather between now and then, then yes, the M7/M8 PPP Scheme could be finished by July 2010. All the indications at present however point to a completion date somewhere between October 2010 and December 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

I was down in Fermoy at a communion on Saturday and the tie-in looks great.

Drove back on the motorway and would have said definately 25th, no sooner than that. Hopefully with the weather there wont be any delays and I can finally drive back up to dublin, doing the full run on the 1st June.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

Don't know if any of you have seen this link on nra website re ppp round 2. http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/PublicPrivatePartnership/file,16119,en.pdf

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 popmart

Does anyone know whether the road will be open on Monday as stated in the previous posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭Bards

popmart wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether the road will be open on Monday as stated in the previous posts?

it's listed in Transport 21 - Upcomming evenst as being opened on Monday

http://www.transport21.ie/Projects/Calendar_of_Events/Calendar_of_Events.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

emfifty wrote: »
    Don't know if any of you have seen this link on nra website re ppp round 2. http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/PublicPrivatePartnership/file,16119,en.pdf

Very interesting. Deserves a thread of its own.

serfboard wrote: »
    Very interesting. Deserves a thread of its own.

And indeed, it has one:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055514942

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Back to Cork for work on Monday as far as it seems... what time are we expecting it to open?

I reckon anytime from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

BluntGuy wrote: »

sorry lads, only have threads tagged with 'motorway' so missed this one.:)

emfifty wrote: »
    sorry lads, only have threads tagged with 'motorway' so missed this one.:)

Ah no problem, I should've tagged the thread properly when I made it. :)

The PPP newsletter is an interesting find. Whether any of the schemes get built or not is another thing!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

Only 3 days left!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

dunkettle wrote: »

Which side of it?!

I think I'll survive without the traffic, though it is weird not hearing the rumble of artics passing the door when I'm staying at a different place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I'll be driving north on wednesday, really looking forward to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement