Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Mitchelstown to Fermoy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Steviemak wrote: »
    I reckon if you stick to the speed limit Dunkettle to Red Cow will take 2hrs 20mins - see attached

Portlaoise-Culahill ain't 40km, its 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    NO PETROL STATIONS enroute bar a few small ones near Abbeyleix so make sure the tank is full.

There are one or two off the mway but its only 160m so most cars should be able to do this trip on about half a tank. Unless you are driving some 20mpg Monster, obviously that would be a lot more.

Good to see the pieces of the jigsaw coming together, I really hate driving home, but this road has already made a big difference to the pain. Now if only they'd finish the last bit, its a real killer to come off the new road onto single carriageway and the usual convoys of slow lorries and little old ladies doing 45km.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My personal car can't do the trip on anything like half a tank, its got a 30l titcher and does 35mpg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

D.L.R. wrote: »

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

cant wait for my trip home on Friday. from Dublin i get off at Fermoy.

getting off at Mitchelstown and dealing with all those blooming roundabouts was a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

D.L.R. wrote: »

It's 40km including both the M7 and M8 legs of the scheme!

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 popmart

Washout wrote: »
    cant wait for my trip home on Friday. from Dublin i get off at Fermoy.

getting off at Mitchelstown and dealing with all those blooming roundabouts was a pain.

I could be wrong, but was it something like 9 roundabouts from the turn off to Mitchelstown as far as Gloca Maura just before the Kilworth Army Camp???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

It's 40km including both the M7 and M8 legs of the scheme!

Regards!

I was measuring the current N8 from the M7 to just beyond Cullahill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Sean_Ludawg

popmart wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but was it something like 9 roundabouts from the turn off to Mitchelstown as far as Gloca Maura just before the Kilworth Army Camp???

I count at least 8 anyway.:eek: Crazy ammount of time spent on them.
    Doen't matter anymore anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I drove northbound today, wont be going south on it for another ten days.
    I am impressed.
    Unfortunately the weather conditions weren't good, so I missed alot of scenery. But the short views were nice, the landscaping on the scheme itself is great.
    It's smooth, nice curves, good visability.
    The scars from burning off the paint at the Fermoy tie-in is a bit ugly. I wouldnt consider the paintwork to be impecible. The studs seem a bit harsh, but they just need to be worn in a bit I think. The hill is a bit steep. Colm_R's point might not be a hundred miles off the mark.

The time saving is significant, the lack of roundabouts is a pleasure =0) The tie-ins are well executed. I look forward to the southbound drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

About that climb, I don't really think it will be an issue, at least not for car drivers. It's nowhere near as steep as parts of the Glanmire Bypass southbound, for example.

And when it comes to going down the hill....well, let's just say before the motorway opened I REALLY put the foot down on that section. It has the potential to be a major speed trap, as evidenced by the strategic positioning of a Garda ramp there.

Still not on OSM by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

If anyone gets the chance, try and drive it next week to see if things have improved with the signage and dirt issues... I might be able to find the time, but I'm not sure.

And yeah, the burnt-off paint at junction 14 is very ugly...

EDIT: Oh yes, the OSM... I haven't a clue how you actually record and transfer a route using a GPS. I thought it would be simple, but I could not figure it out! If somebody would care to tell me, I'll do it next time I drive the route.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    If anyone gets the chance, try and drive it next week to see if things have improved with the signage and dirt issues... I might be able to find the time, but I'm not sure.

I drove it this evening. The dirt is largely gone, and the carriageway seemed clean.

Signage...still bafflingly scant. Some new signage went up at J13, but there's nothing new at J14 - in fact all the green N8 signage is still ignominiously displayed. No new signage has been erected on the old N8, and the ring road is still labeled N8. However, all of the orange constrction signs have been removed from the main carriageway, but cones are still in place on the J14 onslip (southbound). The council need to get their bloody act together.

Furet wrote: »
    Signage...still bafflingly scant.

That's not encouraging... I was willing to accept the lack of it on Monday because I presumed they were in a rush to get the actual road itself ready for opening... fair enough.

Even yesterday it was reasonable to expect that some minor finishing works would be taking place.

But they cannot just pack up and leave without finishing the job. The road is not complete as far as I'm concerned. Cullahill-Cahir is complete because all local road signage has been updated and all junction signage is corrected (well apart from J10). Cahir-Fermoy isn't and I will not be 100% satisfied until it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

BluntGuy wrote: »

EDIT: Oh yes, the OSM... I haven't a clue how you actually record and transfer a route using a GPS. I thought it would be simple, but I could not figure it out! If somebody would care to tell me, I'll do it next time I drive the route.

Its not the easiest thing in the world :D You need to get a track of the route, save it as a .gpx file, become a member of OSM and upload it. Then you need to follow the trace of the road in the OSM Potlatch editor and make it a road.

Or make the .gpx file and send it to me, I'll do the rest :D

Or make the .gpx file and send it to me, I'll do the rest :D

I think I'll go for that option! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The M8 is now on google maps............. well the sign M8 at least. It added a section from Cullahill to Urlingford but the rest of it is still missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I didnt have the gps with me when I drove it... =0(

As for the hill - there are certainly steeper parts of the M8, but none of them are as long.
    The length combined with the gradient makes it that bit more severe.

And here's the northbound video. Again, click on the HQ option. And note the scenery around 4:15!

Can somebody tell me what the bay visible at 6:48 is for? I've seen loads of these along all sections of the M8 that opened last year and this year, especially on Cashel to Cullahill where they have been coned off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Garda speed checks no doubt!

Furet does the M8 have to rise to get over the foothills of the Galtees? Im trying to get context from both sides of them which you have photographed and looks to me like it does. If so you must get some good views. The route does look very scenic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

Was coming down the M8 before michelstown and a Speed van was parked under a bringe . I always thought it was illegal for any vehicle to park on a motorway ?
    Plus can anyone tell me how long it took to get to dublin to cork 5 or 10 years ago

Thanks guys :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can somebody tell me what the bay visible at 6:48 is for? I've seen loads of these along all sections of the M8 that opened last year and this year, especially on Cashel to Cullahill where they have been coned off.

Not a clue, are those not even grassed over on the older bits of the M8 at this stage? Still coned off as you say.

Yup, they are grassed over.

And it's still not on OSM.

OSM only updates every Thursday ;)

But no, there are no updates on the editing version of the map nor are there any GPS traces of the route :(

SOMEONE SEND ME A GPS TRACE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

riggerman wrote: »
    Was coming down the M8 before michelstown and a Speed van was parked under a bringe . I always thought it was illegal for any vehicle to park on a motorway ?
    Plus can anyone tell me how long it took to get to dublin to cork 5 or 10 years ago

I can remember it before the Port Laoise bypass was even done, early 90s or so. The worst bit was always going through Kildare. If you did it very early in the morning or late at night you could drive it in just about 4 hours. But it was such a knackering experience that people would always stop for a bite to eat (and a pint, unfortunately) in somewhere like Cashel, so it ended up taking over 4 hours. Now it's nowhere near as tiring an experience.

I did Cork airport to Dublin airport in 3 hours flat in March. With this bypass that should come down to under 3 hours hours, and when other bits (especially Newlands cross) are done it should come down to just over 2.5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I did Larne to Cork in 5h 10m last Monday thanks to the opening of the new road, and that included a stop in Dundalk for diesel and a toilet stop in Abbeyleix :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

riggerman wrote: »

Gardai can do this. Although all forms of common sense would tell you that it is a fairly stupid and dangerous thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭trellheim

Parking a speedcheck van on the hard shoulder is the height of ignorance . Aren't there special bays for the coppers ?

The amount of police videos from the USA where you see cars being creamed when a rig drifts into the shoulder is immense.

Someone has started to update OSM. But they have misnamed the N73 and R639 Mitchelstown Relief Road.

• Advertisement

M8 is now on it, not quite right yet in the editor but the bones of it are there.

1 week, not bad for a mapping service. I wonder how long it'll take to get the commerical maps up to date?

And you all wonder why I use OSM on my Garmin :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement