Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loftus hall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Stoner wrote: »
    great pics, was there really a bar in it?

I was a hotel so I'm sure there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

The government should have purchashed loftus hall. If it was britain, it would be in the national trust and fully protected. But our govt doesnt seem too concerned with doing such things. Its all about getting votes for them. I really hope whoever does buy loftus hall does it justice and restores it to its former glory. And of course, be open for the public to view. It could make a lot of money as an attraction which would benefit tourism greatly around the area.

Loftus is a registered protected structure so it could not legally be knocked down. However it can be left to fall into ruin.

There's nothing unusual there - properties like Loftus are left collapsing into a pile of rubble all over Ireland.

Check: www.AbandonedIreland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Earl Hickey

Oryx wrote: »
    I think thats the one they sell on video at the Hook Lighthouse museum.

i rang hook lighthouse and they said they stopped selling it ages ago because there as a dispute over who owned the copyright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Great pics, places looks like it would be amazing if done to its former glory. Reminds me of that hotel in the shining probaly the wall paper lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Randi

just checked the address and found a phone record, its under the name con power now and the line is activeLoftus HallFethard on seaNew RossWexford

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Liffy

There's so much to this place you could not even begin to grasp or understand...my advice to one and all is to stay clear.....or your nightmares will truly begin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

i don't buy that. besides the devil and the roof thing (isnt that the same as the hell fire club?) what has actually happened in loftus hall that makes it haunted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

iamhunted wrote: »
    i don't buy that. besides the devil and the roof thing (isnt that the same as the hell fire club?) what has actually happened in loftus hall that makes it haunted?
    Yeah apart from the devil story is there anything that happened in this house to make it haunted?

Liffy wrote: »
    There's so much to this place you could not even begin to grasp or understand...my advice to one and all is to stay clear.....or your nightmares will truly begin...

Can you expand on this or is this just a general freaky comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Liffy wrote: »

rofl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Loftus Hall

Prepare to be scared!

:eek:

Check out this video dramatization of the famous card-playing incident at Loftus Hall:

"The Legend of Loftus Hall: an Irish ghost story"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqUt1Lo-lIs

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

iamhunted wrote: »
    besides the devil and the roof thing (isnt that the same as the hell fire club?)

Im in agreement with the above....

Theres a few other places around Ireland which have the exact same card story, Looks like the devil is a bit of a gambler and doesn't learn from mistakes aye?

Iv been to loftus hall lots of times, Never had any weird feeling being in there (when it was open to the public) other than I found it strange to have a bar. My nan always told me the story of loftus hall as a child going to bed...Might explain my skepticism.

It would be great to see such a lovely building repaired and opened to the public.

Every place in Ireland has a story or ghost story attached to it. Yep Grandma's and Grandad's every where responiable for this lol. Hey were else would we get our legends from. Lovely tradition to pass along :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

3305009006_61493b6b4f.jpg?v=0

3304086269_e3a46c4f60.jpg?v=0

3302031540_a0765078ee.jpg?v=0

The last 1 turned out to be 666kb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

just curious does anyone know what is happening to the place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

Loftus Hall fascinated me ever since I read about it in school (Matter of Fact, you might remember). I have the Haunted Ireland book and it mentions the story. Wikipedia says that a boat arrived at Hook Head on a stormy night and a man was welcomed into the house.
    Although it is a fascinating story, the Hellfire Club in the Wicklow mountains has a similar story.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

H1tmonlii wrote: »
    Loftus Hall fascinated me ever since I read about it in school (Matter of Fact, you might remember). I have the Haunted Ireland book and it mentions the story. Wikipedia says that a boat arrived at Hook Head on a stormy night and a man was welcomed into the house.
    Although it is a fascinating story, the Hellfire Club in the Wicklow mountains has a similar story.

yep its a standard generic fits all story, associated with lots of places around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Woah only found this thread now.
    I was in Loftus Hall years ago, about 15 years ago. We used to have a holiday home in Fethard, we'd go down there every summer, used to love it there.

Anyway, when I was about four/five we went to Loftus Hall. Now, I had no idea whatsoever about it's history or why we were even going there at the time and it's only in the last few years that i've found out. I remember visiting it so clearly, I can even remember the song that was on the radio lol.

It must of been a guest house at the time because we went into the bar area. Such a beautiful building, was huge, i remember very clearly walking in the big door into the hall and there was the sound of dogs barking viciously, quite scarey when you're four :o. What was really strange was there was a scream from upstairs when we were in the hall and the old lady came out and brought us into the bar area straight away. It was quite odd, there was noise of televisions on and people talking but there was no one there :| We were the only people in the whole place.

Even the bar area was weird, we didn't stay long at all, think just finished our drinks and left. They only sold coca cola as well :mad:but that's beside the point xD.

After talking about it since with my parents my mother said she wanted to get out of there fast the place had such a horrible atmosphere. I often wondered why I remember it so vividly being so young, I didn't even know the history so it's not like I invented things in my head. Very eerie place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 x~niamh~x

about 8 a my friends broke into loftus hall last year..the bar was the only room in whole house wit electricity..and the lights were red!!:eek:!!on da staircase der was pairs a shoes lined across it the whole way up...fairly freaky!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

x~niamh~x wrote: »
    about 8 a my friends broke into loftus hall last year..the bar was the only room in whole house wit electricity..and the lights were red!!:eek:!!on da staircase der was pairs a shoes lined across it the whole way up...fairly freaky!
    Breaking and entering? And boasting about it here? Ffs. Just cos its a 'haunted' location does not make it fair game.

• Advertisement

Not as bad as the guy who broke into it filmed it put the video on youtube then got arrested:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

There's this video on the folklore of Loftus Hall up on YouTube that had me in stitches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqUt1Lo-lIs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 x~niamh~x

Oryx wrote: »
    Breaking and entering? And boasting about it here? Ffs. Just cos its a 'haunted' location does not make it fair game.
    ha..chill out like!i was only addin ta da discusion :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Hey there.

I have had the experience of going up to the hall. Myself and 9 others travelled down, but in the end only 3 of us walked up, including me. We had no intention of going inside or any thing, we just wanted to go look at the house itself and all that. We made it to the top of the drive way when I clearly heard dog's barking, as did my 2 friends. We walked slowly forward with anxiety wrote all over our faces. Just as we reached the pillars turning into the court house one of my friends stopped suddenly. I turned and asked "what's wrong" he pointed at the corner of the pillar where the big tree's start and said "there's some one there", the other fella also started backing up, and at this point I was afraid to turn around and look. After a ****ing scary 10 seconds or so I did turn and I am almost certain to this day that I seen some one standing beside the pillar...
    We turned and ran back, but had to dodge the spot light of a local and eventually made it back to our cars. To this day all three of us can swear we did hear dogs and see some body at the top of that long lane.

That was almost 2 years ago.
    After reading this thread I had renewed interest and travelled down with a lager group with more people genuinely interested in the paranormal. We arrived at the gates, and about 2 minutes later we had 3 local men telling us they had our registration plates and would phone the guards if we so much as touched the land at the other side of the wall.
    We made them look silly and told them we were on our way to visit the light house, the left but we never went back to the house...

I am genuinely curious as to why the locals are so protective of this place, I mean yeah it may be private property buy besides that what harm is there being done with 3 or 4 people walking on the land?

Also, as for the stories behind this place.
    The Generic devil story is not true, how ever, the story of the priest and the children in the "devils room" is true and actually recorded (some where :o).. As for the cannon's plaque I think that may have to do with the fact that one of the residents did suffer from a mental illness leading the family to believe that she was possessed and needed an exorcist. People seem to forget that the idea of possession is accepted by the catholic religion and at the time would have had to be taken very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Jessica xxx

Hey there!

Wow, Nail bitting stuff. The first time you went up to the house how did you even get down the lane to begin with?? There is a man living in the little cottage directly across from the main gates of the house and he gards them with his life, anyone that even remotely slows down driving by the gates and hes out like a shot telling them to "Move On"......
    I went down to Loftas for the frist time last year with my boyfriend, just for a look and to try and get a few pictures for my friends Web Site Abandoned Ireland.... we parked the car a couple of hundred yards down the road while we decided which was the best way to head in. We walked down the road towards the gate to take a look, there was no way in there with out beeing seen so we turned around and walked back, just as we turned on our heals i heard the front door of the cottage click open and an elderly man stepped out, i wanted to look behind but we kept walking. He went back into the house after a few min, when he was gone we made a dive into the field next to the house. We made our way down along by the hedge and kept low. We ended up down beside the beach, so we were coming at the house from below eye level and from the back. We were in stelth mode going through the fields, all of a sudden a car drove up the lane at speed and started circling the house. We stayed low in the corn fields. Eventually the car left and we moved closer to the house, by this stage there was only one hedge and a narrow gravel road seperating us between the house. We were just about to stand up and make our move when my BF said "GET DOWN" theres the car again..... the car, out of "NO WHERE" just drove out from behind the house!!!! We ducked down behind the bushes and the car came closer rolling along the gravel track, it stopped right beside us on the other side of the hedge, we were practicly holding our breath it was sooooo close. After a few min it drove off!! Lucky or what!!!! In the end we just packed it in and left cos they were onto us from min go, how i dont know, we were not seen at all and were ultra sneaky. Ahhww i got a few good photos anyway, thats all i really wanted and to get a close up look at what all the fuss was about!!!!

So anyone whos planning a trip to the house, be carefull cos they are wide to everyone, its harder than it looks :o

Did anyone hear about the rummer of Bono buying Loftas Hall?? :eek:
    Whats the story with that?? Aparently the whole house is alarmed now
    so its a defo NO GO area... :(
    Has any1 tried to get inside recently??? Any brave peeps out there??? haha :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

please, someone tell me why anyone should go near loftus hall in the first place? Its looks creepy granted, but theres a lack of people reporting any paranormal incidences there at all at all. Can we just bury this creepy=haunted idea? (pardon the pun) as it obviously isnt.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Threads merged.

Afaik the sale fell through, just heard today. Please do not encourage breaking and entering in this thread!!!

I know the house is not haunted, i dont belive in all the nonsence said about the house an all the stories behind it, just heard stuff about the sale of it so was wondering if anything came of it :confused:
    Its an amazing house and would be great to see someone living in it again etc. Ive never been in the house myself only ever got a few pics of it from one of the fields. General love of old houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

It's for sale.

http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/Loftus-Hall-Fethard-on-sea-Co-Wexford/407322/

I was in the bar once, knew the owners back in the day, before he passed away.

Advertisement