Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loftus hall

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Crispychicken

The government should have purchashed loftus hall. If it was britain, it would be in the national trust and fully protected. But our govt doesnt seem too concerned with doing such things. Its all about getting votes for them. I really hope whoever does buy loftus hall does it justice and restores it to its former glory. And of course, be open for the public to view. It could make a lot of money as an attraction which would benefit tourism greatly around the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bola987

Some years ago when it was a hotel we went in for a drink. There was this strange woman there, who either owned or worked there, and she knew everything about us. Yet we never met her before. We were on holiday from England. Where is she now - that is what I would like to know? I heard Loftus hall is up for auction next month. Perhaps they will turn it into another Jamaica Inn (Cornwall) with lots of ghosts and stuff. That would be great if they do. With all those legends it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

my grandparents had a holiday home in fethard on sea which they sold in 1990 and i told her recently it was for sale, her sage response 'i was there once......never again' think it was a hotel or musuem at some stage she said but very eerie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭capedcrustacian

bamboozle wrote: »
    my grandparents had a holiday home in fethard on sea which they sold in 1990 and i told her recently it was for sale, her sage response 'i was there once......never again' think it was a hotel or musuem at some stage she said but very eerie

it was a hotel when i was in it, actually, if you go to the wexford page there are several posts on the matter.
    it's really spooky to look at and there are more stories about the place too, not just about the devil, it would be awesome if tey re-opened as a hotel or even as a museum for the area, kinda like they did with the light house, just needs to be open to the public somehow, it's such an amazing place, gettin goosebumps just thinkin about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maisymarshall

Tempelton wrote: »
    Well, I can't really offer you any recent info I'm afraid. I am not even sure whether or not Michael's widow is still alive - although, if she is, she must feel quite vunreable if she is still living at the rather isolated hall.

For the record, all the stories above - about disembodied dogs and what not - are, of course, quite silly. I wil admit to trespassing there some years ago - not realising until closer inspection - that the place was obviously occupied. There were electric lights on in the front porch/reception area during the day - which suggested that perhaps someone was away at the time (or maybe was not concerned about day-to-day upkeep of the property).

Having since driven past there several times, but declined to intrude on private property, I will say that I have seen many gaggles of teenagers hanging around the entrance (which is near several more modern homes). No doubt, if Mrs Devereux is still living there, she must find this sort of attention rather unwelcoming.

Finally - expanding on what I wrote above - there is a priest, Sean Fortune, who was charged in a very high profile case here in Ireland (sorry, I don't know if you are in Ireland too) with abusing many kids. Without getting into detail, let me just sum it up by saying - the man was one of the most vile and disgusting abusers ever to have been caught. Anyway, Fortune went on to commit suicide when he was found out. An Irish Times journalist, Alison O'Connor, wrote a book about his crimes - called "Message from Heaven" - in which she alleged that Fortune, who was posted to the local parish of Fethard, used to take groups of kids to stay in the hall. This was very much in the days before Michael bought the hall - namely, it was when it was being run by a group of Catholic nuns. The book goes on to speak about a room referred to as "the Devil's Room", which is where Fortune committed his attacks.

If ever the devil did visit the hall, I would say it was in the form of Sean Fortune (not some hoof-footed urban legend).

Anyway, apart from that, there is one very good book I must try to dig out that deals pretty extensively with the Loftus Hall haunting story. It was written at the end of the 19th century and so is steeped in characteristic Victorian zeal for the paranormal and, as such, treats the story with far more seriousness than it currently receives. In the process the author manages to extract some interesting eyewitness accounts of alleged hauntings of the original "tapestry room" (again, remembering that this was in the original building - long since reconstructed).

Watch this space...

I eventually visited Loftus Hall earlier this year in May for the first time. WOW it was more than I could have imagined. My husband and I stayed in Wexford for a few days and did the, lets visit all my Dads old haunts kind of thing. We passed by Loftus Hall a few times on the way to the Hook Lighthouse, I was amazed at the lonely old thing, what a waste?!! We couldnt get up to the house only looked from the gate which was such a shame. An old lady in the gate house told us her son was looking after it for Mrs Devereux (who is still alive I may add) but has nothing to do with Michaels side of the family, my husband Shaun, the youngest of Thomas Devereux's family, Michaels brother. I felt like I wanted to scream as we would have loved to go and have a look inside. Kathleen should be proud of her house not trying to hide it away.(just incase anyone knows her). Anyway I undestand that its going to be sold by auction this month I only hope someone who deserves it gets it and takes care of it after all its a fab building and what a spot! I will visit it again sometime hopefully I will be able to go in and take a look around? The area is great and very beautiful my first visit to Southern Ireland and I'll be back. Thanks again. Take care Linda Devereux x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Anybody know if it sold?

And, if so, what it fetched?

The property sites are not giving anything away...and I have a hunch that, on foot of the "credit crunch" situation, the only sane thing to do would be to postpone the sale, but I could be wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Neal.D

Am a photographer and happened to past loftus hall, 2 summers ago on my way to hook lighthouse, i heard that it was an haunted lighthouse but the story was mixed up with Loftus, was fascinated by the house so took a look around it, never tried to get inside, would of been nice to see in that state though, went down last winter to take more pics of it, never got bothered by anyone, but have 2 pics from loftus on www.NealDavisPhotography.com if anyone wants to take a look, am only stundent but think i caught the essence of that place.

Neal.D wrote: »

Beautful pics there in your gallery.
    The one on the bench, is it the summit up in Howth.
    Again, well done!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

aare wrote: »
    Anybody know if it sold?

And, if so, what it fetched?

The property sites are not giving anything away...and I have a hunch that, on foot of the "credit crunch" situation, the only sane thing to do would be to postpone the sale, but I could be wrong?
    I believe it failed to sell at auction but was bought afterwards. Rumour has it that Bono was the buyer but it's probably just a rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Neal.D

Cheers No Drama

It aint howth its out at Greystones. Hope who ever bought it turns it into
    some good hotel or could have one of those murder mystery hotel things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

It's advertised again in today's (26/10/08) Sunday Times, not sure if it was an auction or not, €1.9m :eek:... a fool and their money are easily parted (or not so).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Apparently the Hall was withdrawn from Auction at under €1million and sold to a "mystery buyer" on Monday 20th.

Loftus Hall sold to mystery buyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tanababes

hi ya, yea me and my friends go down to loftus hall every few weeks we just love the trill and looking for a fright.... i would beleive in wat happened there... the lads daughter who lived there was ment to die in the house and is ment to haunt it still.... i would love to see the inside of it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The government should have purchashed loftus hall. If it was britain, it would be in the national trust and fully protected. But our govt doesnt seem too concerned with doing such things. Its all about getting votes for them. I really hope whoever does buy loftus hall does it justice and restores it to its former glory. And of course, be open for the public to view. It could make a lot of money as an attraction which would benefit tourism greatly around the area.

You want them to waste money on buying an old house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭blue42

You want them to waste money on buying an old house?

why not? they dont seem have any problem wasteing money on plenty of other things!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 apathetic84

sounds fascinating place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MrLoftus

Three nights spent in Loftus Hall back in the summer

The whole place was explored from top to bottom

Uploaded the photo sets on Flickr and Pix. Get them while you can!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32677070@N04/sets/72157609670380437/

http://pix.ie/mrloftus/album/330434

Regards,
    Mr Loftus :)

3049490497_e1fb5867d4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

MrLoftus wrote: »

Regards,

Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Regards,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭buttonteaser

i went there yesterday. its such a shame its closed up. i hear bono bought it. wheter its true iv no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭buttonteaser

Regards,

how did you get in there?????? when i went the place was like fort knox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

The photos are really interesting. How come there is so much furniture, etc left? Was it closed down kind of suddenly?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Some great pics there,thanks for posting them up,how in gods name did you get in there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

When i heard Loftus Hall had been sold I nerdified myself and read as many online articles on the place as i could.

I think the fact the place has been so off limits to the public has really created the mysticism about the place, afterall the tale of the devil playing cards there is exactly the same as the Hell Fire Club in Dublin and a whole host of other places around the world.

Me wonders if members of the public do get to step inside and the dust settles, will it be any more haunting than the Hellfire Club?

I live near it in Wexford and i can tell you its "not haunted"

It looks great as its out on a hill by itself but thats the only haunted thing about it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

it makes a good story though and Im afraid thats all people seem to be interested in. If its got a story (even though its the same story thats associated with a few 'haunted' locations) and it looks derelict then that equals haunted to a lot of people

iamhunted wrote: »
    it makes a good story though and Im afraid thats all people seem to be interested in. If its got a story (even though its the same story thats associated with a few 'haunted' locations) and it looks derelict then that equals haunted to a lot of people

Yeah your right . There is nothing they can do to dispell that . They have actually tried . But there are no witnesses out there that have seen things , there is no common haunting occurence there . All the people that have lived there have not reported anything and its famous for the story about the devil going through the roof. And that was not even true and it wasnt even the same building .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The government should have purchashed loftus hall. If it was britain, it would be in the national trust and fully protected. .

If it was Britain they'd wait until someone else bought it , did it up etc. then they take it off them and rename in Royal Loftus Hall and give it to some Scottish guy with a frilly shirt !!!!!

ah I'm living in the past that would never happen. There is a similar house near me in Dublin, It's getting into a similarly poor condition, I think that a certain amount of these houses being restored is a good thing, but not too many, I guess with Duncannon Fort and Hook Lighthouse it might work as another place to visit there and add to the bulk discount ticket they sell. I think that on it's own that it would not be enough of an attraction, but it could supplement what's there already IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

Regards,

Mr Loftus you have been very bold!
    congratulations on your excellent exploration

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

great pics, was there really a bar in it?

Advertisement