Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loftus hall

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jessae86

dib wrote: »
    I wonder if there are any basement areas.
    as far as i know there is a kind of chamber tunnel which is origional and still there from the old building (redmond Hall ) - before it was rebuilt and changed to Loftus hall

Man if you think it looks cool form the outside you should see it inside. its absolutley fckn amazin, marble fireplaces in every room, even the bathrooms, coupled with a ducted heating system, the central grand italian marble staircase is breathtaking, the sculptures and paintings collected oer centuries, and it used to be a guesthouse for a while so it has a huge bar and resturaunt area, Actulay about ten to fifteen years ago one of the Bikerclubs in the area had their anual bash there, twas feckin brilliant, then theres the card room where the Quarefella himself is supposed to have shot through the ceiling after being caught out by some priestybloke, there's a stain in exactly the same spot on the ceiling in the room above and one appears in the floor under it, actualy if your lookin at the building from the front you may be able to see the section of tiles that 'they keep havin to replace' its about 5M in from the lefthandside and up about 2M (guestimate but its around there)

the gardens had gotten into a fair state of disrepair the last time I was there but care was still being take for the interior, God knows what its like now tho!

there are quite a few ghoststories about the place, when I get home tonight I'll have a spliff focus the aul head and try to get some of them down.
    when were you in the house ?? did you sneak in or what ??? or were you let in ????

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Oryx wrote: »

I'm playing the lotto this weekend. FACT.

6th wrote: »
    I'm playing the lotto this weekend. FACT.
    Maybe if we all pool our pennies we could buy it as a syndicate...

Be interesting to see what a buyer does with it. Im glad to see it being sold tbh. Been left to rot for far too long.

• Advertisement

Maybe if we all pool our pennies we could buy it as a syndicate...

Be interesting to see what a buyer does with it. Im glad to see it being sold tbh. Been left to rot for far too long.
    OMG i cant belive its for sale !!! HOLY CRAP!!! I thought Mrs Deveraux was "never" going to sell it ???!!
    What changed her mind i wonder... :/
    Will a family buy it to live in or will it be turned into a hotel or something ???
    Dose any1 have a copy of the doc By Rick Whelan "The Legand Of Loftas Hall " ???
    Any1 know where a copy can be obtained ?????

jessae86 wrote: »
    OMG i cant belive its for sale !!! HOLY CRAP!!! I thought Mrs Deveraux was "never" going to sell it ???!!
    What changed her mind i wonder... :/
    Will a family buy it to live in or will it be turned into a hotel or something ???
    Dose any1 have a copy of the doc By Rick Whelan "The Legand Of Loftas Hall " ???
    Any1 know where a copy can be obtained ?????
    I think thats the one they sell on video at the Hook Lighthouse museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Just an idea, but if you really want to investigate the paranormal aspects, why not talk to Sherry Fitzgerald?

If it's not too bad inside (and, at least some of it must be ok) then it would be a great excuse for them to get press coverage for "selected excerpts" of the interior prior to sale.

They might go for it?

To be honest, however much Mrs Devereux loved it, in that location, it truly IS the personification of "bleak house" from the outside...

The only selling points ARE aspects of the interior - and the legend...

Just a thought anyway...no harm in a couple of people getting together to approach them?

PS. As it is for sale, I strongly suspect Mrs Devereux has finally "left the building"...but even 10 or so years ago she had no idea when she would run out of ways to avoid it a forced sale...lord knows how she did this long.

Sherry Fitzgerald are just the selling agents and would have to approach the owners just like anyone else. Its seems they would not be willing to do this, and thats understandable.

I think thats the one they sell on video at the Hook Lighthouse museum.
    THANKS FOR THAT ILL BE IN WEXFORD THIS WEEKEND SO I MIGHT GO GET A COPY...

• Advertisement

aare wrote: »
    Just an idea, but if you really want to investigate the paranormal aspects, why not talk to Sherry Fitzgerald?

If it's not too bad inside (and, at least some of it must be ok) then it would be a great excuse for them to get press coverage for "selected excerpts" of the interior prior to sale.

They might go for it?

To be honest, however much Mrs Devereux loved it, in that location, it truly IS the personification of "bleak house" from the outside...

The only selling points ARE aspects of the interior - and the legend...

Just a thought anyway...no harm in a couple of people getting together to approach them?

PS. As it is for sale, I strongly suspect Mrs Devereux has finally "left the building"...but even 10 or so years ago she had no idea when she would run out of ways to avoid it a forced sale...lord knows how she did this long.
    you could always pretend you were interested in buying the property that way you would get the grand toor by the agency !!!!!

Its going by Auction so thats not really an option.

I reckon an auctioneer will show it to anyone who is interested. They dont actually know if youve got 10c or 10 mil to your name. Personally I wouldnt have the neck to try to get a viewing though.

I think SE Radio are going to do a show from there soon, because of the sale, and the notoriety of the building.

ye true !! Pity would be good fun though :)

Sherry Fitzgerald are just the selling agents and would have to approach the owners just like anyone else. Its seems they would not be willing to do this, and thats understandable.

Ah but, approached the right way, Sherry Fitzgerald might be able to sell the OWNERS (or vendors, which I have a nasty suspicion may now be a bank of some sort) on the idea...

It's would be worth a 5 minute TV news slot...

Well I've spoken to someone I know in there and there is no way it would happen. You're talking about a 5 minute slot that will as likely put off buyers than bring them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 zebede

Just phoned up Sherry Fitz in Wexford

I've got a viewing Saturday @ 11am !

Well I've spoken to someone I know in there and there is no way it would happen. You're talking about a 5 minute slot that will as likely put off buyers than bring them in.

Then you didn't talk to the right person, and someone else should try.

If the house and gardens were in fair condition.
    If the location were not so bleak.
    If the commercial history of the house was healthy.

THEN it would be more likely to put buyers off...but...as is, the best shot they have is using the legend to get publicity and using publicity to show off the best of the interior...because sadly, the house has literally nothing else to offer.

...and trust me, if a ghost hunt would put off potential buyers, Mrs Deveraux would have packed 'em in 3 deep.

Be more positive...like zebede...

I think SE Radio are going to do a show from there soon, because of the sale, and the notoriety of the building.

AHA!!!

I spot an open window...someone should talk to south east radio...

Sorry I'm just being realistic based on my experience in approaching locations and my many years of experiences in advertising for estate agents.

Anyway I have contact a potential buyer for this place and I know they will have an interest.

• Advertisement

Sorry I'm just being realistic based on my experience in approaching locations and my many years of experiences in advertising for estate agents.

No biggie, you were just wrong about this place...they are even letting SE radio in...

But, in fairness, it's a special case...a bit of a white elephant...

It's beautiful and huge, but not really even that old, people in that kind of residential market usually want something older, or smaller, and ALWAYS want a more sheltered and landscaped location (it's just on bare flat ground, open to the winds across Hook Head).

As a hotel it just never made the grade, and the location is a big part of that problem too.

The biggest problem is that the huge amount of money it would need to have spent on it would probably be enough to buy an equivalent older property in a better location that was ready to move in to.

It may go ridiculously cheap...in the end...

According to my informants at the time, if the bank could have sold it at a half realistic price, they would have forced the sale years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 discobrother

It will be interesting lads to see how this whole thing pans out. Just thinking if a load of us put in about 20k each we could buy it between us. Im up for it!! ha. It would just mean putting that next car purchase on hold.

Just found these few pics of some lads taking a closer look at the building

http://skin.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?PageNbr=1&MemberId=257427450&PhotoAlbumId=5136543022&PhotoId=5136841065

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Magical

zebede wrote: »
    Just phoned up Sherry Fitz in Wexford

I've got a viewing Saturday @ 11am !

So how did it go??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Dunno if its old news that its been auctioned off on the 17th in the Brandon Hotel unless previously sold...has a price of 1.9m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Corrib

ya ur right the old hall has long been gone! ive read a fair bit about it.
    The new buildin is really nice ....it should be done up or something

It's up for sale at the minute, you should buy it

"here lies the body of Thomas Broaders,
    Who did good and prayed for all.
    And banished the Devil from Loftus Hall."

Anyone know where exactly this grave is?
    He is buried in Horetown foulksmills Wexford

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Corrib wrote: »
    He is buried in Horetown foulksmills Wexford
    Ah, Horetown... we used to have great crack there with the horses..a pity to see the equestrian centre go.

Soby wrote: »
    Dunno if its old news that its been auctioned off on the 17th in the Brandon Hotel unless previously sold...has a price of 1.9m

Have you heard about the fierce woman who haunts the building? She is supposed to be that of the lady who died and the same girl who saw the guests cloven foot. I was in that place a few times and I guarantee you are in a seriously eerie building!!! The isolation justs adds to it. No amount of money is worth the fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

Ah, Horetown... we used to have great crack there with the horses..

Ye, great crack in Horetown and it's just down the road from Bastardstown :D

• Advertisement

Soby wrote: »
    17th of which year??? Just gone on the market again! Same price range. It even has its own private beach!! View property pages online.

Advertisement